Forums

Irish Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
wildmanfromborneo
02 Nov 11 12:55
| Topic/replies: 21,252 | Blogger: wildmanfromborneo's blog
Probably the greatest jockey i have ever seen but some of the terrifying falls are beginning to take there toll.He still has the brilliant racing brain and the ability to drop a horse out and quietly sneak him into contention almost unbeknowns to the horse but the fearlessness of youth is gone.No more for him the driving into the last fence,he now asks them to pop it,no more for him powerful front running tactics,now it will be out the back and sneak into contention.
This is not a criticism of Ruby Walsh just a grim realisation that a great sportsman is coming into the twilight of his career and it is starting to show.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 112
By:
slickster
When: 02 Nov 11 12:57
can't disagree.
By:
Bigwillystyle
When: 02 Nov 11 13:20
I also agree. Miserable swine aswell. I'm talking bout Ruby not u Wildman although same comment could be appliedLaugh
By:
slickster
When: 02 Nov 11 13:22
grey as a badger as well!
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 02 Nov 11 13:25
I think he is a fine fellow, down to earth and surely a career in broadcasting awaits,well able to talk and a good judge to boot.
By:
Bigwillystyle
When: 02 Nov 11 13:26
Very honest like the father
By:
Bigwillystyle
When: 02 Nov 11 13:27
Laugh
By:
Bigwillystyle
When: 02 Nov 11 13:28
Agree Wildman bout television
By:
Dan Chipowski
When: 02 Nov 11 13:51
Great racing brain and I think it's unanimously agreed that he has and will make a fine analyst for Racing television when he does retire.

I'll reserve judgement on his abilities in the saddle for a few months until the season gets into full swing.
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 02 Nov 11 14:02
Not surprised you couldn`t make a decision to save your life.
By:
neill d
When: 02 Nov 11 15:22
er, not sure but it wouldn't surprise me as it kind of stands to reason, still a man for the big day though I'd have thought. He'd have won on Menorah or Captain Chris yesterday anyway.
By:
punchestown
When: 02 Nov 11 15:39
Think there's a few things at play here regards Ruby,he's suffered a lot of serious injury in the last 5 years which have to take a toll no matter who you are.I'd say he's sick and tired of being in Dublin Airport and the grind of going over to the UK just for the sake of it,todays Chepstow rides a good example.

Add in the new UK whip rules which he feels undermines his ability to do his job,add in marriage/family?,lure of media work/possible training career and you can see why he's maybe not as do or die as he was but I'd agree with neil d that he'd still be the first name I'd try to get on one of mine (If I had any Grin)
By:
Kelly
When: 02 Nov 11 15:40
Not one of those who automatically looks to see what Ruby is riding  myself. Top 5 of those I have ever seen  , A P obviously also in that club .  Several others riding at moment are in the running for that mix , but it can be a long debate .

When and if I see Ruby getting beaten on a horse he should have won on I would start to form an opinion , but a bit early for that diagnosis as far as I can see .  Can see he has had a rough time with injuries , and ultimately your body starts to tell you when you have had enough .

The other aspect is the mental side , its a bit like golfers who start missing putts which were once easy peasy . Dont think Ruby is at that crossroads yet , hope not , he has been stellar for about 10 years now . When was Papillion ? A nice lift , got 33/1 the morning of the race as I recall . You dont forget those even if the sands of time start to cover the tracks .
By:
neill d
When: 02 Nov 11 15:47
Seeing kautoand Denman go he may feel he has already drank the best wine so to speak, Nicholls has hyped a lot of horses in the last few years and none of them has come to fruition, a horse I've always liked of theirs is Tataniano so in a weak 2mile division he might provide a championship winner for Ruby along with the hurricane, no Gold cup winner on the horizon though I don't think.
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 02 Nov 11 17:52
Rubys ride on Sollim makes the point.
By:
mincer11
When: 02 Nov 11 18:01
Ya it does,the horse was the second best horse in the race and finished second as he should have.What an eejit you are wildman,did you even watch it ?
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 02 Nov 11 18:19
Watched it as i did something that is alien to you backed my opinion by laying Sollim.
By:
mincer11
When: 02 Nov 11 18:21
Your opinion being based on what exactly?
By:
jackdaws
When: 02 Nov 11 22:36
cannot agree that rubys in decline,most of nicholls horses are running well but are needing the run.
By:
claimingseven
When: 02 Nov 11 22:53
I remember a thread on here on the lead up to Cheltenham about Ruby being in decline and how the thread starter said he was going to lay all Rubys mounts at the festival. Season just kicking off lads very early days yet. Yes he has had some really bad injuries in the last few years but i thought last year was one of his best. Been off a while and i would imagine he is still feeling his way back into it. It was only two weeks ago he gave Devalera a great ride to win.
By:
hardlyuseless
When: 03 Nov 11 00:22
Greatest rider of all time, no doubt about it.
By:
yourlack
When: 13 Nov 11 17:45
LaughLaugh
By:
rubyisgodinthesaddle
When: 13 Nov 11 17:54
He ride in the handicap hurdle was sublime today
By:
Dan Chipowski
When: 13 Nov 11 19:00
I think I can make my judgement now, as good as ever without a doubt. Love
By:
lookingforthewildman
When: 13 Nov 11 20:03
Wildmanfrmborneo has disappeared over to the horse racing forum doing a quiz
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 13 Nov 11 21:38
Yes 5 responses from you and no correct answer.
I posted on the racing forum first and only discovered the Irish forum by chance a month later,that should answer the questions you posed when you were having the breakdown as Wildclownfromborneo.
By:
kavvie
When: 14 Nov 11 13:42
greatest ever nh jockey.of that there is no doubt..yesterdays ride just proved it again
By:
JayTrumpOldTomDubbl
When: 14 Nov 11 14:15
Great jockey and a very good tipster to boot........3 winnings w/ends for his loyal readers .......great to have him back just hope he stays injury free....best iv'e seen and that includes Dunwoody and the great brave Stan Mellor..........
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 14 Nov 11 17:52
I expect the low attention span snipers like Mincer/Robo,Bigwillystyle,Ya havin that one Dave and Bobbybocala with his many guises to only read the title of the thread but i expect others to read the whole piece.It is not a slag on Ruby Walsh just an observation on a change in his riding style which will become more pronounced as evinced by his ride on Bundle Of Fun today.I attach no blame as he was clearly second best but he is lying further and further out of his ground and he is not launching his horses at the fences.
He is still the best jockey around and the man for the big occassion but you will find that will to win at the small meetings is diminished and he no longer asks his horses for big jumps at the last.
By:
lookingforthewildman
When: 15 Nov 11 17:13
He was coming into the twilight of his career on the 2nd of november and yet 12 days later he is still the best jockey around.....fairly dramatic turnaround in his fortunes......one thing is certain the wildmanfromborneo wasnt going to admit to being wrong.....
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 15 Nov 11 21:42
Seeing as you pay homage to me in your user name you deserve a detailed reply.The two statements you outline are not incompatible.Lets say we rated jockeys and i rated Ruby Walsh at 180 with the next best at 168,taking into account his decline i reduce the rating to 170 that would still leave him the best.
In a matter of opinion right and wrong doesn`t come into it,it is only on matters of fact that that applies.Ruby Walsh is the best jockey is an opinion but Ruby Walsh won the 2000 Grand National on Papillon is a fact and if someone says he didn`t that can be safely said to be wrong.
By:
neill d
When: 15 Nov 11 21:50
^^^^Well put, he might be somewhat similar to Kinnane in his latter years, not the man for Roscommon of a Monday evening in the summer(not that they'll book him that way any more anyway), but no better man for the big day.

Given his injury record, it would be positively reckless for him to be too brave on the lesser days, this might occasionally cost punters perhaps.
By:
Win only - Sp only
When: 15 Nov 11 23:39
Kelly
02 Nov 11 15:40 Joined: 08 Mar 01 | Topic/replies: 1,618 | Blogger: Kelly's blog
Not one of those who automatically looks to see what Ruby is riding  myself. Top 5 of those I have ever seen  , A P obviously also in that club .  Several others riding at moment are in the running for that mix , but it can be a long debate .

When and if I see Ruby getting beaten on a horse he should have won on I would start to form an opinion , but a bit early for that diagnosis as far as I can see .  Can see he has had a rough time with injuries , and ultimately your body starts to tell you when you have had enough .

The other aspect is the mental side , its a bit like golfers who start missing putts which were once easy peasy . Dont think Ruby is at that crossroads yet , hope not , he has been stellar for about 10 years now . When was Papillion ? A nice lift , got 33/1 the morning of the race as I recall . You dont forget those even if the sands of time start to cover the tracks .

well done Kelly. PMSL
By:
yourlack
When: 16 Nov 11 05:52
Wildman did you think he would have a good cheltenham last year? Just wonderjng.
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 16 Nov 11 09:47
No i saw him at Naas races just before Cheltenham and i thought he looked injured so i laid him at 2/1 in the top jockey market,i thought the English doctor might not pass him fit.I had already laid Hurricane Fly but went in again,when that duly triumphed i went misere ouvre on Quevega.
I am glad you were musing at such an early hour as it might show Lookingforthewildman that i am not deserving of such adulation and can get things spectacularly wrong,even Homer nods.
Its safe to say Ruby will have a good day today at the chaseless Fairyhouse.
By:
punchestown
When: 16 Nov 11 13:59
wildman,not having a go at you but I think all you are doing is stating the obvious,every sportsman shows a gradual natural decline in ability when old man time starts to get a hold of them.

He's a family man now and can see that there's life after race riding  (he has no choice but to)where as before all he could see were unachieved goals in the game.

You can't blame him for picking and choosing a bit these days and maybe does mind himself a bit more these days-again a natural thing.

He still remains the finest exponent in National Hunt race riding that's ever thrown his leg over a horse that I've ever or will ever see.
By:
JayTrumpOldTomDubbl
When: 16 Nov 11 14:23
agreed punchestown...... hope he stay awy from A J M's
By:
punchestown
When: 16 Nov 11 14:26
He could do with dodging those handicap chasers that AJM has a habit of hunting around at the back until they get 5 duck eggs anyhow JayTrump.
By:
stevo1
When: 16 Nov 11 14:33
that was a shocker
By:
wildmanfromborneo
When: 16 Nov 11 17:26
Punchestown you are entitled to disagree with me but i think we broadly agree.We both think he is one of the greatest jockeys we will ever see,we both agree he should pick and choose his mounts,we both agree that as a family man he has other priorities.
Some think i am having a go at Ruby,not so just from a gambling point of view i have noticed the decline and think there is value in laying him in chases.
Ruby should definitely heed Jaytrumpoldtomdubbles advice and avoid Tony Martin trained chasers.
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com