Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Teletext Addict
02 Aug 11 13:52
| Topic/replies: 10,649 | Blogger: Teletext Addict's blog
Has the potential to be the game of the summer so far.......... 6/4 tyrone..
Pause Switch to Standard View Dublin V Tyrone
Show More
Report shaggykev August 5, 2011 3:14 PM BST
I like Dublin but 5 weeks layoff is huge negative.

both sides have lost this fixture when they were provincial champions going into it but I'd still make Dublin favs and 8/11 looks about right

Anybody really fancing Dublin
PC sports in Galway is out on his own
http://www.pcsports.ie/Gaa_Dublin.htm

Evens the Dubs
Report neill d August 5, 2011 3:19 PM BST
Laugh tony Fenton, haven't heard 'arseboxing' in a few years
Report paddletoe August 5, 2011 4:54 PM BST
Really happy with the team Tyrone have named. Forward line looks better with Penrose and Mulligan starting. I have heard Stephen O'Neill is fully fit and i will be surprised if he does not make a relatively early appearance.

Most substitutes enter games largely unnoticed but when you have players like O'Neill, Mc Menamin and Dooher there will be a lot of fanfare when they are introuduced which should get the crowd going and give the players on the field a big lift.

Mickey Harte does not like having defenders on yellow cards early in a game so Mc Menamin could come on fairly soon.

If Tyrone can stay with Dublin early on they have the greater depth in their panel to win the game when the play begins to break up.
Report neill d August 5, 2011 5:26 PM BST
Peter Harte looks like some player, he has made a huge difference to their forward line
Report irishro August 5, 2011 5:31 PM BST
Stephen O'Neill isn't named on the bench for tomorrow night but apparently this is because Harte lists his subs alphabetically! Who are they trying to kid? Ive also serious doubts that the named Dublin XV will be the one that starts. O'Gara is unlikely to be fit and if McAuley is anyway fit he will start otherwise that Dublin midfield looks very weak.
Surprised at all the love for Tyrone on here. I thought Dubs were very good against Kildare. The half-forward line is much improved on previous year-Paul Flynn the most improved player in the county. The Wexford game was very poor all-round but it was a bit of a no-win day for the Dubs and Bernard Brogan will hardly be that poor again.
Should be a good game but think this Dublin team will have the legs on Tyrone and they are more experienced than the team that won last year.
Report Tony Fenton August 5, 2011 5:37 PM BST
Will OSullivan start corner back? Not tight enough for that position. Conlon should start and agree re MMDA. Fennell hasn't the mobility for these types of matches.
Report Rocketfingers August 5, 2011 5:43 PM BST
No win day for the Dubs v Wexford? That makes no sense, they actually won you clown Irishro ! Getting your facts straight before you come on telling your lies.
Report irishro August 5, 2011 5:44 PM BST
Not sure-Conlon has been faultless in his 2 games and O'Sullivan has very little football played recently so it would be a big risk. Dublin's half back and full forward lines are going to be the key because the midfield will not compete with Cavanagh and Hughes on their own.
Report neill d August 5, 2011 5:45 PM BST
^^^ Hiding to nothing is the phrase, collateral form working out appaulingly though, if it was a horse, you wouldn't back it. The Dubs remind me of Mike Tyson, they don't like being hit backLaughLaugh
Report steeringjobnap August 5, 2011 5:56 PM BST
The huge fan & media hype surrounding the Dubs always makes opposing them at this stage
of the Championship something I usually do.

6/4 is quite juicy imo; 40% chance against a team that has flattered to deceive at this
time of the year.

Not WUM-ing by the way!
Report Barney Rock August 5, 2011 6:17 PM BST
Dummy team from the Dubs
Report thefly10 August 5, 2011 9:15 PM BST
'Dublin will have the legs' This is a load of ****, you would sware the Dubs are playing the Tyrone team that they beat in 1995.
Report irishro August 5, 2011 9:23 PM BST
Well they're not playing the Tyrone team of 2005 either!
Report thefly10 August 5, 2011 9:29 PM BST
11 that played in the 2005 AI are on Saturdays panel. 7 are named to start!
Report irishro August 5, 2011 9:38 PM BST
You know what I meant! Those 7+ have a lot of mileage since then and are not playing at the level they were in 2005. Tomorrow shall tell all-hopefully it's a good game at least.
Report TAP4TOE August 6, 2011 1:20 AM BST
I'm with Recession Buster & Timberman and am getting on the Dubs. I was at the game last Sat and after the game could only think that if the Ros could do so much damage in the 1st half what would the Dublin forwards do. Tyrone did well in the 2nd half no doubt but there was no intensity from Roscommon only poor defending and bad shooting. I'm no Dubs fan (Ros actually) but i think this could be their year. There isnt that much hype on them for this game, unfortunately that will change if they win and we'll be sick of the hype again!
Report benny_ROBS_roy August 6, 2011 1:39 AM BST
dublin to smash em, evs great price
Report tobywong. August 6, 2011 1:40 AM BST
with all due respect to the rossies (i have been on here before championing your cause), tyrone would always fancied themselves to advance, they knew what they had to do at ht and turned the screw, (they done the same to us wexicans in 08).

If tyrone watched what we tried to do with the dubs in the provincial final , which i am sure they have , they will employ similar tactics and are better equipped to pull it off.

Possession is key and while tyrone are worried about their dwindling pace they will look to limit the obvoius dublin scoring power , if they do that they will win, a big time interesting match for both teams, looking forward to it.
Report thefly10 August 6, 2011 2:03 AM BST
Yea I know what u mean Irishro! Agree them lads aren't getting any younger or quicker. Tomorrow will tell the tale indeed!!
Report Cupwinkcook August 6, 2011 9:33 AM BST
don't like the look of the Dublin midfield

I won't be betting on the outcome but I wouldn't want to be on the Dubs

that said, if they get through it and Gilroy jettisons O'Gara and Bastick they could win the thing outright, Kerry are there for the taking if Dublin find their A game
Report Cupwinkcook August 6, 2011 12:01 PM BST
dubs drifting here but solid on purple
Report benny_ROBS_roy August 6, 2011 12:08 PM BST
hardly call it drifting, price has been stagnant the last few days
Report ReimerpYsatnaf August 6, 2011 12:11 PM BST
C'mon Baile Atha Cliath Cool
Report Cupwinkcook August 6, 2011 12:11 PM BST
I suppose, more of a difference of opinion between the 2 sets of punters
Report silvergreaser August 6, 2011 1:07 PM BST
The value certainly lies with Tyrone, this Dublin team are average, if Kildare had got a second bite of the cherry at them I'm sure they would have beaten them and who knows but for that poxy goal against Wexford they might well have been dumped into the backdoor route.
All this talk about Brogan, I've seen him bottle it many times down the years in pressure games,while Tyrone are no world beaters themselves they do not fear Dublin at all in fact I'd say they relish it.
Tyrone for me, but it won't be a mortgage job.
Report Tony Fenton August 6, 2011 1:16 PM BST
Scored 9 points from 1-15 in last years trouncing of Tyrone.
Scored 1-7 from 1-14 in last years AI semi V Cork.

Probably in the top 3 players in the country with Declan O'Sullivan and Paddy Kelly.

Wouldnt say he's had that many bad days in recent times to be fair to him.
Report GANT007 August 6, 2011 1:23 PM BST
I wouldn't read too much into last years form.........Bernard Brogan is a top player but in my opinion needs to put in one of them performances from last year for the Dubs to win this........a few of his strike partners have come up short so far this year.
Report tobywong. August 6, 2011 1:23 PM BST
molloy done an excellent job on him in leinster final , prob as well as anyone has done in a while
Report silvergreaser August 6, 2011 1:29 PM BST
I didn't say Brogan was a bad player but I think he's over hyped, when tight games move into the closing stages his kicking and free taking can become erratic, not one to rely on under pressure!.
Report thefly10 August 6, 2011 1:35 PM BST
I agree Bernard Brogan is worth 7 or 8pts to Dublin and he will have to be on top of his game if Dublin are to win. He was well held against Wexford, and Tyrone will look to cancel him out today. Alan Brogan is a classact and hes probably their next forward. Connolly was impressive in the league and I thought he would lift the weight off Bernards shoulders but he has never seemed to translate his league form into championship. Looking forward to this, whoever wants it the most will win!!
Report rule4 will apply August 6, 2011 1:44 PM BST
Tony Fenton

Probably in the top 3 players in the country with Declan O'Sullivan and Paddy Kelly.

God i dont think Kelly is one of the top 3 on the Cork team! agree with O'Sullivan though.
Report neill d August 6, 2011 2:59 PM BST
Declan O'Sullivan is twice the player of anyone else in the country, he is the best centre back, centre forward and Full forward
Report thefly10 August 6, 2011 4:43 PM BST
Best centre back? O'Sullivan is definetly one of the most underated players around the country. Seems like the man has been around years but still only 28 or 29.
Report SoYouThink August 6, 2011 5:09 PM BST
Very harsh to say Brogan can't be relied on under pressure. I would say the Dubs as a team are flaky when the game is in the melting pot, but Brogan? No way, a class footballer. If the game is close, then the two Brogans will be names the Dubs will look to.

I would say Declan O'Sullivan is the best centre-forward in Ireland and second only to Cooper as a footballer. Best centre-back - Kevin McKernan. Best full-forward - Donnacha O'Connor, though a lot of teams play with two man FF lines these days, so you don't really get many full-forwards in the traditional sense. Only Cork play three in FF line these days.

Anyway, I think this game will be a memorable one. Kinda siding towards wily old Tyrone but the Dubs will give a real good account of themselves. Dublin have actually copied the Tyrone blueprint of 2008, and play a lovely brand of total football. Mobility, adaptability and team-work really a joy to watch. Haven't seen Tyrone play at all this year but reports seem to indicate that they were committing less players to defence than previous years. Be interesting to watch them in the opening minutes. My guess is they'll look to hit an early goal and sow the seeds of doubt in the Dubs' minds.
Report Biffo2010 August 6, 2011 5:18 PM BST
Lads brogan is a good footballer no doubt about it , he is slightly overrated though , alot of his scores comes from no more than 30 yards out and he gets alot of handy scores. Plus his hyped up cos his a dub .
I think the dubs will do it today and il stick my neck out and say diarmuid connolly is goin to be the difference , he has been shocking so far but iv a feeling thinks will go right today and hes capable of doing alot of damage.
Report SoYouThink August 6, 2011 5:24 PM BST
Most players who play in the FF line tend to score from inside 30 yards - that's their job. It's the regularity with which Brogan does it that makes him stand out, left or right, back to goal, over the shoulder, he's increibly consistent no matter what the circumstance. Plus his ball-winning skills and the ability to make space for himself are second to none. As a corner/full forward, the only area I'd suggest Brogan needs to brush up on, is his awareness of the players around him. Bring the other forwards into play more if his own opportunity for a score has passed instead of shooting wildly.
Report Biffo2010 August 6, 2011 5:32 PM BST
I suppose your right so you think.. Most ff line scores are no further out.. For me he isnt in the same class as gooch or canavan yet.Does two boys are are genius's , in canavans case was a genuis. They just have a better footballing brain than brogan .. They would give a ball to a player if they seen him in a better position,brogans inclined to be a bit greedy sometimes shooting from impossible angles.
Report neill d August 6, 2011 5:33 PM BST
Sorry, would be the best centre back as well
Report neill d August 6, 2011 5:35 PM BST
I'd have Donaghy a long way ahead of any full forward myself, although O'Conner is a different type of player, I would have him as just off top class myself, Cork's two best forwards are Kerrigan and Kelly for me.
Report thefly10 August 6, 2011 5:50 PM BST
Yea O'Sullivan would make a fantastic centre back, great reader of the game and a fine distributor. If there is one Kerry player that you could play anywhere is Eoin Brosnan. They have him in the centre holding things and Aidan O'Mahony and Mark O'Sé beside him (who in my opinion is the best wing back of all time). I dont rate Paddy Kelly at all, in my opinion Goulding is as good as any Cork forward. Very underated.
Report SoYouThink August 6, 2011 5:53 PM BST
Yeah I agree Biffo. Brogan would have a long to go before matching Canavan and Cooper. But I would say he is on the right road so far.

Yeah Donaghy is a better FF than O'Connor in my opinion. Forgot about him to be honest. Although I would rate him, Goulding, Sheehan and O'Neill as better than Kerrigan, who is a half-forward, not a corner-forward in my opinion. Paddy Kelly is more of an industrious type forward.
Report Sir mix a lot August 6, 2011 6:59 PM BST
do spillane and brolly really dislike eachother? the look spillane gave there when brolly called him a great player... haha
Report mightymoyes August 6, 2011 7:05 PM BST
good save, good height though.
Report TradeFair August 6, 2011 7:08 PM BST
Had a good lump on Dublin at EVS.
Report Cupwinkcook August 6, 2011 7:16 PM BST
paddy kelly is very quick and rarely loses the ball

he is essential to that Cork forward line

harsh on Kerrigan also
Report Cupwinkcook August 6, 2011 7:18 PM BST
the changes for the dubs are in their favour

cahill and mcauley positives with 2 negatives dropping out

super point from Cavanagh, Tyrone need to stay within 2 or 3 by h/t
Report Cupwinkcook August 6, 2011 7:22 PM BST
what a shocking decision
Report Cupwinkcook August 6, 2011 7:22 PM BST
and an even worse free
Report TradeFair August 6, 2011 7:23 PM BST
Brogan thought so too. Worst free of all time.
Report Dan Chipowski August 6, 2011 7:23 PM BST
Lively start from Dublin, shocking free to miss from Brogan given it was a bit of a gift.
Report mightymoyes August 6, 2011 7:23 PM BST
tyrone as useless as the ref.
Report Cupwinkcook August 6, 2011 7:24 PM BST
commentators got that badly wrong also
Report Cupwinkcook August 6, 2011 7:32 PM BST
bad miss at one end followed by a good score at the other end

tyrone might not even score 9 points in this game
Report TradeFair August 6, 2011 7:33 PM BST
Tyrone not showing up great for Under 32.5 Total Points punters.
Report Cupwinkcook August 6, 2011 7:34 PM BST
soft free for tyrone
Report TradeFair August 6, 2011 7:42 PM BST
3 points in the last 3 minutes not good for Under 32.5 backers. I'd rather be on overs now.
Report Mordin. August 6, 2011 7:58 PM BST
Cant see Dublin getting beat playing into Hill 16.
Report Cupwinkcook August 6, 2011 8:02 PM BST
if Bastick is getting points, there's no hope for Tyrone
Report Cupwinkcook August 6, 2011 8:04 PM BST
shocking free again
Report Dan Chipowski August 6, 2011 8:04 PM BST
Tyrone have been appalling thus far.

As has Marty Morrissey's commentary....'Seemed to be a fair shoulder' Plain
Report Cupwinkcook August 6, 2011 8:09 PM BST
tyrone should be buried by now
Report mightymoyes August 6, 2011 8:10 PM BST
lol this should be a record beating for tyrone!
Report Cupwinkcook August 6, 2011 8:12 PM BST
connolly got what he deserved there
Report Dan Chipowski August 6, 2011 8:13 PM BST
How have Dublin not scored at least 3 goals?

Terrible pass by Brogan there to Connolly.
Report Cupwinkcook August 6, 2011 8:13 PM BST
cahill should have been booked there for being a tool
Report Cupwinkcook August 6, 2011 8:15 PM BST
sweepstake for final score

0-25 to 0-11
Report Dan Chipowski August 6, 2011 8:17 PM BST
1-24 to 0-14 for me.
Report Cupwinkcook August 6, 2011 8:19 PM BST
mcauley and cahill - huge additions
Report TradeFair August 6, 2011 8:19 PM BST
Unders backers dead. Could be 40 points in this easily.
Report mightymoyes August 6, 2011 8:20 PM BST
should be over 40 already!
Report Cupwinkcook August 6, 2011 8:23 PM BST
goal for tyrone there would have been interesting
Report beglopty August 6, 2011 8:27 PM BST
if your second name is bastick, why would you call your son a first name ending in 's'?
Report Dan Chipowski August 6, 2011 8:27 PM BST
Dublin on a completely different level to Tyrone today, taken some absolutely superb scores.
Report tobywong. August 6, 2011 8:28 PM BST
dublin defence has been absolutely top class
Report OnTheSnaff August 6, 2011 8:33 PM BST
Number 5 of Tyrone looks like Jamie Spencer Laugh
Report hoops48 August 6, 2011 8:36 PM BST
Kerry should be worried
Report hoops48 August 6, 2011 8:36 PM BST
Kerry should be worried
Report Cupwinkcook August 6, 2011 8:38 PM BST
I would think so but Donegal will love going in as underdogs and they'll smoother Dublin
Report Biffo2010 August 6, 2011 8:39 PM BST
Biffo2010
06 Aug 11 17:18 Joined: 15 Jul 10 | Topic/replies: 457 | Blogger: Biffo2010's blog
Lads brogan is a good footballer no doubt about it , he is slightly overrated though , alot of his scores comes from no more than 30 yards out and he gets alot of handy scores. Plus his hyped up cos his a dub .
I think the dubs will do it today and il stick my neck out and say diarmuid connolly is goin to be the difference , he has been shocking so far but iv a feeling thinks will go right today and hes capable of doing alot of damage.

Sorry for bragging boysLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report Dan Chipowski August 6, 2011 8:40 PM BST
They can smother them all they like, but the Dublin defence won't give the Donegal forward line an inch and they won't get enough scores to seriously trouble Dublin imo.
Report hoops48 August 6, 2011 8:42 PM BST
Agreed Dan C.
Report tobywong. August 6, 2011 8:44 PM BST
brolly is one ignorant pr i ck , love to see spillane clock him
Report pacficrc August 6, 2011 8:47 PM BST
Who was Spillane tipping before the match ?
Report timberman August 6, 2011 8:47 PM BST
Could we get the Dublin V kerry final?
Report hoops48 August 6, 2011 8:47 PM BST
Dublin
Report hoops48 August 6, 2011 8:48 PM BST
edit @pacficrc
Report hoops48 August 6, 2011 8:50 PM BST
No love lost between brolly and spillane lol
Report pacficrc August 6, 2011 8:53 PM BST
cheers hoops. if your man from meath wasn't between the 2 of them they'd be rolling on the floor Laugh
Report Kelly August 6, 2011 8:56 PM BST
That is 2 years in a row where the Dubs beat Tyrone .  The score this year should have been in cricket realms , huge difference in fitness levels between the 2 teams .  Legs dont last forever , Mickey will have to get reconciled with that   The Dubs though will have to learn to score goals  , wasted 3 or 4 most of us could have put in the net .

Just have a niggling feeing that Tyrone made Dublin look VERY good  , some of the Tyrone play was way below the standard they have exhibited mainly over last number of years . But well done the Dubs .
Report Kriskin August 6, 2011 9:08 PM BST
This Dublin team will hammer Donegal.  Far too classy
Report timberman August 6, 2011 9:24 PM BST
I dont think anyone will hammer donegal with their style of play..Dublin would want to keep their feet on the ground...kerry still the team to beat...
Report benny_ROBS_roy August 6, 2011 9:24 PM BST
a lot of people shown up on this thread
Report thefly10 August 6, 2011 9:57 PM BST
Yes alot of people on this forum shown up including me. Too many reading into the Leinster final including the media, where Dublin underperformed. Dubs were absolutely immense this evening, they trounced Tyrone all over the field and maybe should have won by alot more. I said before the game people were reading too much into 'Tyrone running out of legs', well they were spot on. Dublin were too quick for them, their defence was superb. Fantastic display from them! Their passing and kicking was very accurate too. I seen Connolly in underage/minor games and he was one to watch for the future by god he showed what he is made of today, they need to keep a lid on him. Hes a class act when hes on his game. Its the Jacksies All Ireland to lose, if they keep their shape like today they will take some beating. I think they will be too good for Donegal, a massive brainstormer for McGuinness. As for Tyrone, its back to the drawing board. A long time since they have been knocked that far back. The older lads owe their county nothing. I'm sure a good few will retire, sad way to see them go out but it was great to see them fight to the end when they were truly beat before the h/t whistle sounded. They will be remembered by me for their awesome displays in 03,05 and 09, mind you Stephy O'Neill, theirs another few left in him;) And Mickey Harte a true legend!
Report paddletoe August 7, 2011 12:46 AM BST
Not long back from the game. Great performance by the Dubs. More powerful, hungrier, too much pace in attack and fantastic scoring from distance.

I felt before the game Tyrone were too weak in attack but what amazed me was how tacticaaly poor they were. Absolute suicide to go one on one with the Dublin inside forward line. If your going to allow top forwards go one on one with defenders there can only be one result.Really cant be too harsh on McMahon and Sean O'Neill. They simply came up against top forwards on form and were too exposed.

I think poor tactics masks the main problem with Tyrone though. The just dont have a good enough forward line to compete at this stage against a top team. They dont have a forward likely to score even 3 or 4 points from play. In the past they could get away with having a lot of indians because they had the chiefs in certains positions. Now they are a team of indians with just one chief left and that not enough to win an all ireland.

Well done Dublin. I fancy them to go all the way. Obviously very impressed with Brogan and Connolly but i thought in defence Cian O Sullivan looked a fantastic player.
Report paddletoe August 7, 2011 1:11 AM BST
Looking ahead to the semi final i would not give Donegal a pups chance against Dublin unless they change their style of play. They just dont look like they could score enough and if they concede as much territory and possession as they did against Tyrone in Ulster then Dublin have the players to score from distance. If Tyrone had better forwards it would have been target practise for them against Donegal.
Report el gato August 7, 2011 8:46 AM BST
Donegals only chance is if they continue to play as they have.

Fantastic performance by Dublin last night, easily the best seen yet in the championship.
Report Tony Fenton August 7, 2011 11:27 AM BST
Totally throttled Tyrone. Hoping to go one better than last year and sure then who knows.

A lot of people around me in the stand were complaining about Joe McQuillans performance last night. Any views?

How is Conor Gormley today? He took an awful belt from Alan Brogan. Tough man to be able to continue on at all after that.
Report Recession Buster August 7, 2011 12:30 PM BST
McQuillan had a decent game but gave gave a lot of soft frees to Tyrone in order to try and keep the game tight.Refs always like to keep the game close which is not great for handicap backers.
Report Barney Rock August 7, 2011 12:47 PM BST
Very happy man today and enjoyed my few pints last night.

Fair play to Tyrone fans everyone i meet wished the dubs well, as they did last year, they will be back.

Up the Dubs
Report thefly10 August 8, 2011 2:38 PM BST
Great to see Mickey Harte staying on for another year.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com