Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
harry31
08 Mar 11 13:45
| Topic/replies: 209 | Blogger: harry31's blog
I don't use them as a rule and my last 2 visits have confirmed why.

A few weeks ago just before the first race i went in,the show had been in for 10 mins and tried to put a €100 e/w on a 4/1 shot and after a couple of mins was told that i could have 100 win 10 place??? -what??? - no bet - went down to powers, had €200 e/w the same horse at 4/1 -horse unplaced.

Today as they trumpet about taking tote bets including the jackpot, went in to have an interest bet on the big roll-over at exeter,216 lines @.10 =21.60, filled out the coupon and was told i had to do units of €1 =€216!!!!
This despite the "mark-sense" coupon having spaces for 10,20 and 50 cent lines and the example on the back being in 50 cent lines.

My advice - dont bother, use a proper bookmaker.
Pause Switch to Standard View Ladbrokes -what are they there for?
Show More
Report penhead March 8, 2011 3:58 PM GMT
agree useless went in with 200 bet @ 6/4 only take 20
Report TradeFair March 8, 2011 4:40 PM GMT
My advice would be stop betting each way in races where the fav is 1/10. You might also want to note that the jackpot is a Tote bet and therefore separate from any bookmakers terms that you use to place a Tote bet through. Also should you not be thanking them for  trying to save you £90 on the unplaced nag?
Report wildmanfromborneo March 8, 2011 5:03 PM GMT
Ladbrokes are the worst high street bookmaker but extraordinarily they are one of the best on the racecourse.As far as i can see all the big bets and all the big punters are going to Ladbrokes,i have watched in fascination as the professionals one after the other charge in with large wagers and get accomodated.In England Ladbrokes go the lowest prices on course but in Ireland they are often leading the market how long this will last is anybodys guess but at the moment i am also availing of their surprising generosity.
Report TradeFair March 8, 2011 5:10 PM GMT
So they will take on the professionals on course but would not lay 200 @ 6/4 in the shops? Someone is talking through there hole on this one.
Report wildmanfromborneo March 8, 2011 5:17 PM GMT
TradeFair...I am not so sure on this but it is a managers decision on bets to take in individual offices and i have heard terrible stories of refusing bets in their shops.
Report TradeFair March 8, 2011 5:20 PM GMT
I was not aware of that. I just find it hard to believe any bookmaker in any country would refuse a 300/200 cash bet. It's just not possible.
Report Rocketfingers March 8, 2011 5:27 PM GMT
If you've got the wrong face m ate trust me they won't accept. I remember when i followed Horse racing and struggling to get any money on a horse at 50's for a race at Chepstow.
Report wildmanfromborneo March 8, 2011 5:29 PM GMT
Chepstow is not in Ireland.
Report punkha1 March 8, 2011 5:34 PM GMT
Their shops are a joke alright they seem to think its still the 80's never made any effort to be more competitive or move with the times.
One look at their football coupon and the miserable prices they go shows the disdain they treat their punters.
Not surprising they stopped making a show of themselves on oddschecker.
Report TradeFair March 8, 2011 5:37 PM GMT
In my experience even the worst gamblers have knock back stories and will bleed the ears of you after a few pints if you give them half a chance.
Report scoobyknows March 8, 2011 5:43 PM GMT
SmellyFingers was never refused a bet in his life!
Report TradeFair March 8, 2011 5:58 PM GMT
Anytime I go home to Ireland I encounter the same vibes that are on this thread. The anti-English bigotry in Ireland is on a par with sectarianism. If Ladbrokes painted their shops green and got a leprechaun to do their PR they would not be singled out on an Irish forum. Funny how Paddy Power only has threads started on the Horse Racing forum which is predominantly used by English posters. They tell vile tails of Powers using the iron fist on successful punters bordering on a violation of their human rights. Of course the Irish will gently sweep that under the carpet, you know because of 1916 and all that.
Report wildmanfromborneo March 8, 2011 6:14 PM GMT
TradeFair...I dont think thats fair,there are other English bookmakers here and they dont get criticised to the same extent.I think you will agree that i was praising Ladbrokes in my post.
Report Dan Chipowski March 8, 2011 6:16 PM GMT
Their football prices are a disgrace. Daylight robbery.
Report TradeFair March 8, 2011 6:22 PM GMT
There are not other English bookmakers though are there? I used to bet cash with Stanley Racing tax free 20 years ago and they would take a bet, a right bet in fact. That was long before betting tax was abolished. Now they are sadly gone. William Hill are on the way out and are half hearted with their Irish chain. Victor Chandler has a couple of poser shops and Stan James has a few mickey mouse franchises so all in all Ladbrokes are the only real English presence in the Irish market. Irish people react to them in a predictable manner reserved exclusively for all things English in the land of green fields, shamrocks, leprechauns and... oh yeah Paddy Power.
Report SatelliteFlight March 8, 2011 6:26 PM GMT
Get a grip will ye FFS, its nothing to do with where they are from!!

As it is they lay me ante post greyhound bets a lot better than paddy powers and i would rather them for greyhounds, oh jeez i must be ENGLISH then and anti irish as i like an english bookie over an irish one Plain

FFS there does be some bullsh|t spouted on this place
Report wildmanfromborneo March 8, 2011 6:28 PM GMT
William Hill are still in Ireland.I very rarely frequent betting shops but just looking at the money back concessions and some of their publicity stunts Paddy Power seem the best and that has nothing to do with patriotism.
Report TradeFair March 8, 2011 6:32 PM GMT
FFS there does be some bullsh|t spouted on this place

So it is just a coincidence that an English firm gets criticised on the Irish forum but the Irish firm Paddy Power only ever get criticised on the Horse Racing forum?
Report SatelliteFlight March 8, 2011 6:35 PM GMT
I have openly criticised paddy power on here many times, like when they tried to screw me on a dog bet saying my bet went on the reserve and i proved them wrong through their rules and finally got my stake back. Others have criticised them too.

Now go away you over sensitive clown
Report Giant Strides March 8, 2011 6:38 PM GMT
Thread sure to be pulled but before it is.
I think the`re comfortably the best of the big 3 for horse racing in terms of shop offers and best prices.
Football as punkha and Dan point out , is another matter. Their coupons amount to daylight robbery. Greedy percentages that are insutingly, are different to their website prices, where they offer a more competitive price.
Report Giant Strides March 8, 2011 6:38 PM GMT
lose the first "are"!
Report wildmanfromborneo March 8, 2011 6:39 PM GMT
Both Satellite Flight and myself have praised Ladbrokes,also cant agree with you that Paddy Power are only bookmaker criticised on general forum,all bookmakers are criticised there.Have seen some threads scarifying Ladbrokes on general forum,they are sometimes referred to as Ladcrooks.
Report Giant Strides March 8, 2011 6:39 PM GMT
insultingly Cry
Report TradeFair March 8, 2011 6:45 PM GMT
I was saying that Powers are very rarely singled out for criticism on this (Irish)forum but I take on board that may be the wrong assertion. I agree 100% that on other forums it is a free for all and all bookmakers are rightly abused because they are generally all the same.
Report playthegameboy March 8, 2011 6:50 PM GMT
I can never understand guys on here complaining about not being able to get a bet on in a certain bookies. A friend of mine gets info from a fairly reliable source maybe once a week. I get a call from him and he asks me do I want to take a walk. I can leave my house and within a 15min walk I can get medium amounts on at my local Hacketts, Laddies, Spoils x 2 and Jamesons. I go in the other direction and again there's another 10-12 bookies within a 20 min walk. Medium bets, nothing flashy that will arouse suspicion. I'd never go up to a counter with 200 quid trying to get on. Save yourself the hassle. Spread your stake around and dont be attracting attention to yourself!
Report penhead March 8, 2011 6:59 PM GMT
you must have good runners
Report observerirl March 8, 2011 7:43 PM GMT
TradeFair, you mustnt be a regular reader on this forum. Imo PP are criticised more than most firms on here along with Spoils and rightly so. They(PP) are the most frustrating firm to deal with and imo are nothing more than a PR Company. Lads, WH and 365 will at least lay some sort of a bet in my experience. Most punters wouldnt give a damn about the nationality of the firm they use once they can get on.
Report TradeFair March 8, 2011 7:49 PM GMT
I just had noted that they are more heavily criticised on other forums than the Irish section but I am happy to have been proven wrong. The opening two posters suggested that Powers were the more viable option for laying a bet which got me going.
Report Win only - Sp only March 8, 2011 8:46 PM GMT
Welcome to betfair Tradefair
Report Cupwinkcook March 8, 2011 8:46 PM GMT
I will happily rip off Paddies at every opportunity coz I hate their guts.

Given up slagging them or any other bookie on here.

I supported the Indos, but Betpack is a pale imitation.
Report Win only - Sp only March 8, 2011 9:01 PM GMT
the originator should realise that jackpot minimum unit stake is 50p, suppose lads could gave a system to accept 70c lines, but 10c or 10p lines went out with flares.

Bit of research might help before posting, though the 100 win 10 place is a joke agreed.
Report lapsy pa March 8, 2011 9:03 PM GMT
Ha ha playthegameboy, used to have very similar walking habits to yourself around 10 years ago(without the boyles),none would blink with a three figure bet then.
Report da fallon factor March 8, 2011 10:27 PM GMT
have to agree with TradeFair on this
Report sinndar001 March 8, 2011 11:21 PM GMT
Lads shops are kips, they look like toilets. But they lay me so I won't complain too much.
Report da fallon factor March 8, 2011 11:51 PM GMT
actually most of their new shops are pretty swanky,one thing though THEY DONT HAVE ANY SKYSPORTS????????????
Report BJG March 9, 2011 12:08 AM GMT
But what kind of biscuits do they have?
Report Win only - Sp only March 9, 2011 9:02 PM GMT
soggy ones
Report curehead March 10, 2011 12:59 PM GMT
put with your local indo,
he'll snap your hand off for the monkey...
Report sinndar001 March 10, 2011 1:58 PM GMT
My local indo doesn't display prices for Irish racing on their screens, you have to go up and ask for a price which is bollocks. So they obviously don't want taking bets on irish racing.
Report Giant Strides March 10, 2011 7:29 PM GMT
They were going 8/1 Peddlers Cross in their shops today! Missed it by 5 mins. Cry
Report wildmanfromborneo March 10, 2011 9:11 PM GMT
At Clonmel today...same trend Ladbrokes going top prices and all the professional punters betting with them,Daragh Fitzpatrick was on the box.
Report penhead March 10, 2011 10:41 PM GMT
arb away lads free money
Report TradeFair March 10, 2011 10:48 PM GMT
Are you sure Giant Strides? I was told it was Menorah at 6/1? Powers were 11/4 Time For Rupoert.
Report Giant Strides March 10, 2011 10:55 PM GMT
Apparently TF. I asked a guy I know who was in there at the time. Menorah earlier on. They were only doing them for 20 mins at a time though. Sad
Report TradeFair March 10, 2011 11:04 PM GMT
I've no interest in arbing but if I saw one enhanced I fancied I would have a few quid on.
Report magic md March 10, 2011 11:25 PM GMT
I was in Clonmel today wildman and ladbrokes have the betting shop but do not bet in the ring. Did you care to open your eyes and look at the name on the board?.
Report da fallon factor March 10, 2011 11:50 PM GMT
Ladbrokes enhanced a number of horses foe the champion hurdle in shops today Binocular 4s menorah 6s peddlers cross 8s and oscar whiskey 16s,all enhanced at different parts of the day,they have also been 11/2 hurricane fly for the last few days
Report wildmanfromborneo March 11, 2011 12:08 AM GMT
Magicmd....I saw the red board and the Ladbrokes staff Corrigans name may be on the front but it was Ladbrokes money....are you seriously telling me that Luke McMahon,John Roche and Johnny Dineen have credit accounts witn Mr Corrigan....maybe tis you needs to open your eyes.
Report magic md March 11, 2011 12:26 AM GMT
Corrigans name was on the board in clonmel yes not fitzpatricks or ladbrokes. I didnt say anything about credit accounts.How do you know so much about Mr Corrigans business?.I wasnt the one seeing things in Clonmel.
Report wildmanfromborneo March 11, 2011 12:32 AM GMT
Darragh Fitzpatrick does not work for Corrigan thats a certainty,i dont know which one is Corrigan or even if he was there but he is an employee of Ladbrokes if you think you know different please explain.
Report magic md March 11, 2011 12:47 AM GMT
I had a bet with them today and it said Paul Corrigan on the ticket and Paul Corrigan on the board. I do know that for fitzpatrick to be on the box for Corrigan and accepting bets on corrigans behalf he needs a reps permit.
Report wildmanfromborneo March 11, 2011 12:55 AM GMT
I am not so sure about that but i will ask John Roche who he had the bet with if he agrees with you i will donate 200 euro to the Injured Jockeys Fund if he says Ladbrokes maybe you will do the donating.
Report never give up March 11, 2011 1:05 AM GMT
if anyone bets in another ones pitch then both the pitch owners name and the reps name must be on the board
Report magic md March 11, 2011 1:09 AM GMT
I have a better one you ask Daragh fitzpatrick who was he working for in Clonmel and if he says anybody other than Paul Corrigan I will donate 500 to th IJF and you can do the same. I am sure J Roche doesnt care as long as he gets on and gets dropped.ps specsavers are doing a two for one deal at the moment.
Report never give up March 11, 2011 1:12 AM GMT
and you dont have to have a credit account to "CALL" a bet
Report magic md March 11, 2011 1:22 AM GMT
Never give up do the rep rules be enforced?
Report wildmanfromborneo March 11, 2011 1:24 AM GMT
I think Never Give Up has a great point about the representative.I dont get all the references to Specsavers as our disagreement is not about what we saw but an interpretation of who was the actual bookmaker.
Report never give up March 11, 2011 1:28 AM GMT
noel cloake makes sure anyone who is working in another ones pitch must put up the pitch owners name first and represented by next
Report magic md March 11, 2011 1:35 AM GMT
Your first point was that ladbrokes made a book in clonmel they didnt the name on the board was Paul corrigan so he was the bookmaker he was represented by Daragh Fitzpatrick.I apologise if i caused you any offence with my sarcastic remarks.
Report never give up March 11, 2011 1:37 AM GMT
if u represent a bookmaker doesnt mean that u r working with the pitch owners money ,u can lease the pitch off him
Report wildmanfromborneo March 11, 2011 1:42 AM GMT
MAGICMD....You didnt offend me but i am astounded as i have never heard of this man Corrigan before will have to investigate.You should stick to the tipping....
Report never give up March 11, 2011 1:57 AM GMT
try newbridge dog track
Report Win only - Sp only March 11, 2011 7:58 AM GMT
wouldnt be the first time wildmanatbornio has been a little confused with who or what went on in the ring.
Only the other week he was slating VC for knocking him back at Galway- but could not remember the horse or the stake when I challenged himLaugh

Said he was then knocked back at the Curragh by the VC rep who and  I quote was "preying on the drunk people, disgraceful prices". Yet failed to recall that bet either

He is the Walter Mitty of the forum and I would suggest no one listens to a word of the bile he projects.
Report murphyjust. March 11, 2011 10:05 AM GMT
what i can't understand is why badblokes are so keen to entertain these big professional gamblers on the racecourse? Can anyone shed any light? It's great to see Darragh Fitzpatrick so keen to lay big bets, fair play to him, I wonder what percentage of badblokes book does he have himself?
Report wildmanfromborneo March 11, 2011 10:49 AM GMT
Win only Sp only....Your post is a complete misrepresentation of our discussion on V.C.I explained what happened at Galway and gave him the benefit of the doubt but at the Curragh i was first in line with my bet,there was a kerfuffle behind me bookmakers shouting in bets etc..he was spooked and started shouting no no they duly went away i remained and tendered my money,400 euro,saying i presume i have the 7/2,he silently pushed my hand away.
I hope i dont post bile and i hope Win only Sp only will reply because i understand he is an employee of the said gentleman.
Report Win only - Sp only March 11, 2011 12:32 PM GMT
Walter, what was the bet the VC rep refused you at Galway please?
Report insideinfo March 11, 2011 12:46 PM GMT
Win only Sp only you're a bit of a troll are'nt you,always having a pop at someone on here.I am sure wildmanfromborneo is not a liar as i have pointed out before i have saw many very accurate posts by him.

You on the other hand are just a little weasel who works for Paddies or the like with a very high opinion of yourself.
Report wildmanfromborneo March 11, 2011 12:47 PM GMT
I gave him the benefit of the doubt at Galway because he at least had laid some bets on the horse before me and i accept sometimes there has to be a cut off point.If you read this thread i am actually praising Ladbrokes so you cant just say i am a disgruntled punter or anti English bookmakers.
If you read my other posts you will see i try to be civil and wont descend to name calling.
Report Win only - Sp only March 11, 2011 12:50 PM GMT
So you cannot recall the horse or bet you asked for?
Report wildmanfromborneo March 11, 2011 1:08 PM GMT
No i cant remember the horses name but i got the bet on with Barney OHare at the lower price.You keep using the phrase knock back its not mine and as i already said i gave him the benefit of the doubt i dont get the relevance.After our last spat i decided to ask the opinion of other racegoers and unfortunately it wasnt favourable indeed the general concensus was....not much longer in the Irish ring.
Report Win only - Sp only March 11, 2011 1:49 PM GMT
In your first post on the subject you certainly did not keep to your moral code of non name calling. You berated the VC rep and your words were they "preyed on the drunks". 

You seemed to have climbed down a little from the venom posted in the first post (and the stories have naturally changed a little)

I was interested in your hatred for the on course outfit which appeared to stem from the knock-backs that didn't happen.

Anyhow its been done to death now, I wish you all the very best in your punting at Cheltenham (hope u get them all on!) and hope you stop stalking me on other threads now please.

Ta
Report wildmanfromborneo March 11, 2011 2:09 PM GMT
I dont accept there was venom in my first post nor do i accept my story has changed,neither do i hate anyone.There is one question you have constantly evaded...are you an employee of Victor Chandler...you dont have to reveal your identity just state whether you have a vested interest.You use perjorative words like stalking again untrue i just replied to your post on Boyles when you attacked them,quite correctly as it happened,without stating your interests.
Report Win only - Sp only March 11, 2011 4:32 PM GMT
who do you work for?
Report wildmanfromborneo March 11, 2011 4:51 PM GMT
I worked for years in England where i raced every saturday for years, i came home and now farm.
Report murphyjust. March 11, 2011 5:05 PM GMT
it's well established on this forum that WSOP works for Tesco
Report Win only - Sp only March 11, 2011 5:22 PM GMT
shhhh
Report wildmanfromborneo March 11, 2011 5:42 PM GMT
Win only Sp only...You may work for Tesco,you may work for Chandlers it doesnt really matter, we had a discussion, we didnt agree,thats all thats the way i look on this forum you exchange views it would be impossible to agree all the time so i genuinely wish you luck at Cheltenham.
Report scoobyknows March 11, 2011 5:48 PM GMT
Tescos are killing small business in Ireland,Despicable outfit!
Report Giant Strides March 11, 2011 6:03 PM GMT
They just went 8/1 Peddlers Cross again!!! I got a ton on this time though. Grin
Report never give up March 11, 2011 7:27 PM GMT
with tescos ?[;)]
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com