Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
downallstar
10 Jan 11 17:44
| Topic/replies: 10,649 | Blogger: downallstar's blog
Michaela Harte, the daughter of Tyrone football manager Mickey Harte, has died.

The 27-year-old died while on honeymoon in Mauritius.

She was married to Down footballer John McAreavey at St Malachy's Church in Ballymacilroy, Co Tyrone on 30 December 2010.

Michaela Harte was a former Rose of Tralee contestant, and was by her father's side during many of Tyrone's All-Ireland campaigns.

Her husband is a nephew of Dr John McAreavey, the Bishop of Dromore, who officiated at the couple's wedding ceremony a fortnight ago.
ShockedSad
Pause Switch to Standard View Michaela Harte RIP
Show More
Report workrider January 10, 2011 5:47 PM GMT
r.i.p very sad indeed .
Report tobywong. January 10, 2011 5:49 PM GMT
shocking stuff , rip
Report the stunning January 10, 2011 5:50 PM GMT
Hard to believe.RIP.
Report Winner_Winner_Chicken_Diner January 10, 2011 5:54 PM GMT
Cant believe this story, Know Matty quite well

RIP
Report Dan Chipowski January 10, 2011 6:16 PM GMT
Sad news Sad
Report donal January 10, 2011 6:25 PM GMT
Terrible news, so sad. Rip.
Report zipifried January 10, 2011 6:27 PM GMT
jeezus shocking news
Report timberman January 10, 2011 6:44 PM GMT
great person terrible news rip
Report kavvie January 10, 2011 6:50 PM GMT
awful news.rip
Report Rocketfingers January 10, 2011 6:50 PM GMT
RIP, that very sad i hope the media respect the families wishes, she was beautiful looking girl, just been on the news. Any idea what happened lads?
Report mr phantom January 10, 2011 7:34 PM GMT
what happened? very sad RIP
Report Cupwinkcook January 10, 2011 7:53 PM GMT
I don't think full details are out.

I saw her at Mass locally with her family a few times on mornings of All-Irelands where Tyrone weren't involved. Smashing looking girl.
Report Barney Rock January 10, 2011 7:55 PM GMT
RIP Michaela
Report MayoMan January 10, 2011 8:39 PM GMT
Unbelievably Tragic story - RIP
Report megabucks January 10, 2011 8:40 PM GMT
Very sad indeed, she made a big impression down here when she represented Ulster in 2004 rose of tralee. Condolences to all concerned.
Report Distant View January 10, 2011 8:51 PM GMT
Absolutely dreadful news.

RIP
Report never give up January 10, 2011 10:14 PM GMT
awful R.I.P
Report Princesse D'Anjou January 10, 2011 10:22 PM GMT
No age to die, very sad news.

RIP
Report irish_guy_13 January 10, 2011 10:26 PM GMT
"killed" is says on aertel.
Report Mordin. January 10, 2011 10:42 PM GMT
Tragic heartbreaking news, words cant express it. Wonderful northern girl its so sad I dont know how the family will ever get over this.
Report soldieroffortune January 10, 2011 10:45 PM GMT
Very sad news.
Report Sligored January 10, 2011 11:17 PM GMT
a tragic end to a beautiful young girl
may she rest in peace

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gaa-managers-daughter-may-have-been-killed-488812.html
Report kiddo112 January 11, 2011 12:01 AM GMT
Awful whatever happened

RIP
Report Recession Buster January 11, 2011 12:28 AM GMT
An extermely charming girl and a credit to her family, may she rest in peace!
Report SatelliteFlight January 11, 2011 8:31 AM GMT
police are treating it as murder Sad
Report Giant Strides January 11, 2011 9:01 AM GMT
Absolute tragedy. RIP
Report thegalwayman January 11, 2011 10:50 AM GMT
Horrific. RIP.
Report ChrisTheDub January 11, 2011 10:53 AM GMT
Very sad news a young beautiful girl
Report Anaglogs Daughter January 11, 2011 12:40 PM GMT
The daughter of Tyrone GAA manager Mickey Harte was murdered in her hotel room, police in Mauritius confirmed today.

A post-mortem examination on 27-year-old teacher Michaela Harte revealed that she had been strangled.

She was found dead in the room by her new husband, Down senior Gaelic footballer John McAreavey.

The couple were on honeymoon after getting married less than two weeks ago.

Superintendent Yoosoof Soopun, from the Mauritius Police Force, said officers had identified six potential suspects and were confident of an arrest later today.

He said Mr McAreavey was in the restaurant of the hotel when his wife was murdered.

"She had gone back to the room to get some biscuits to put in her tea and, when she failed to return, her husband went to look for her," he said.

"When he found her in the room, she had been killed. He tried to help her but she was already dead.

"A post-mortem has showed she was strangled, she died from neck compression."

Mr Soopun said the killer had used an electronic key card to enter the room.

"There was no forced entry into the room," he said.

"Whoever killed her definitely used an electronic card."

He added: "This is being viewed with much concern by the police and government of Mauritius. We are doing everything we can to find whoever was responsible."

A member of staff at the four-star Legends Hotel, who went to the room to try to revive the young teacher, later consoled her husband as he made a statement to police.

Afterwards he told the Press Association: "John is far from home, far from his family and in a country where he does not know anybody. I am just here to provide as much help as I can. This is a terrible situation. He needs support."

Michaela's brother Mark and a member of the McAreavey family are expected to fly out to the Indian Ocean island today.

The couple were on the second leg of their honeymoon after flying out to Dubai.

Mr Harte left them at Dublin Airport the day after the marriage ceremony, close to the family home near Ballygawley, Co Tyrone.

An official from the Irish Embassy in Pretoria, South Africa, is to arrive today to assist Mr McAreavey.

The hotel is in the centre of the fishing village of Grand Gaube, not far from Grand Bay in the north-eastern corner of the island. The couple booked in on Saturday and were due to leave on Sunday.

Mrs McAreavey taught Irish at St Patrick's Girls Academy in Dungannon. She was a former Rose of Tralee contestant, a huge Tyrone GAA fan and her father's number one cheerleader.

Friends of the team manager and his wife Marian said the couple were devoted to their only daughter, who married at St Malachy's Church, Ballymacilroy, on December 30.

The Bishop of Dromore John McAreavey, who married the teacher to his nephew, said the young footballer was devastated.

"She was the love of his life, absolutely and truly. He adored her and talked about her with such warmth," he said.

"He loved everything about her: her faith, her personality, her love for things Gaelic and Irish, her sparkle.

"I have a sense tonight that a light has gone out with the death of Michaela."

Father Brian Hackett, the Harte family's priest, said: "Her big thing was her daddy being the manager of Tyrone. She went everywhere with him. She was a religious girl. She was a dedicated Tyrone supporter."

Journalist Adrian Logan, a former sports presenter with Ulster Television who reported extensively on Tyrone's All-Ireland wins in 2003, 2005 and 2008, said: "Mickey adored her. He was totally devoted. He just thought the world of her. He told me 'She's my little jewel'."

Mr Logan added: "He refused to do any post-match interviews after those games until she stood beside him. That's how much she meant to him. She was his number one fan."

The North's First Minister Peter Robinson and Deputy First Minister Martin Mc****ss passed on their condolences.

Mr Robinson said: "It was with deep sadness that I learnt of the death of Michaela Harte. I would like to pass my deepest condolences to her husband John, her father Mickey and to all of her family."

Mr Mc****ss said: "Just a matter of days ago it was a joyous occasion when Michaela married John (McAreavey) and no doubt they planned a long and happy life together.

"They had so much to live for but now their hopes have been cruelly dashed by the tragic death of Michaela."
Report MCKENNA January 11, 2011 1:13 PM GMT
Terrible tradgedy for the family and for her husband, may she rest in peace.

Seems that the hotel computer confirms she used her key card to get into the room at 3.44pm and that someone else had gone in just before her at 3.42pm-how sad is that.
Report vinnie_roe January 11, 2011 1:15 PM GMT
On the late late show here with her dad. Nice looking girl.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2008/0927/hartem_av.html?2428349,%20null,200
Report tyronesam January 11, 2011 1:58 PM GMT
R.I.P    a lovely girl from alovely family....makes you wonder what its all about !!
Report BJG January 11, 2011 2:04 PM GMT
RIP Sad
Report wildmanfromborneo January 11, 2011 2:25 PM GMT
Its an unfair world.....so sad...makes racing trivial.
Report DECALEC January 11, 2011 3:04 PM GMT
mary queen of the gael pray for her
Report zipifried January 11, 2011 6:09 PM GMT
it's very suspect, strangled but no break in and husband downstairs
Report norn iron January 11, 2011 6:16 PM GMT
MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO THE FAMILY CIRCLE AND HER HUSBAND . WHAT A TRAGEDY FOR A LOVELY GIRL  TOO BE MURDERED ON HER HONEYMOON  AND TOO SEE HER FATHER GIVE SUCH A MOVING TRIBUTE HELD UP BY HIS TWO SONS WOULD MADE ANYONE CRY , RIP
Report norn iron January 11, 2011 6:21 PM GMT
ZIP . LOOKS AS IF SHE CAME ACROSS STAFF BURGLING ROOM AS SHE ENTERED ROOM  2 MINS AFTER SOMEONE ELSE HAD USED ELECTRONIC KEY AS HUSBAND WAS DOWN STAIRS
Report Vubiant January 11, 2011 6:33 PM GMT
Just heard Mickey speaking on the news now. Spoke most movingly . He's a big man .
Nobody should have to deal with this grotesque event ...but life can be so pointlessly cruel.
Report one last chance January 11, 2011 6:35 PM GMT
terrible tradgedy RIP
Report zipifried January 11, 2011 6:36 PM GMT
Just watched Mickey Harte interview, he is a top man on so many levels, i hope they get justice for this.
Report irish_guy_13 January 11, 2011 6:41 PM GMT
R.I.P
Report yorker789 January 11, 2011 6:47 PM GMT
Terrible news.
Report DaSizzler January 11, 2011 6:53 PM GMT
very sad
your heart goes out to her family and her husband
Report silverwasp January 11, 2011 7:08 PM GMT
This is the most tragic event ive ever heard.

Poor Girl Murdered because she fancied a biscuit with her tea , terrible timing to meet evil like she did.

I didn't know the girl personally but i do feel the pain , what must her family and friends be feeling.

I only can console myself by thinking Heaven couldn't wait any longer for the Angel .

She is surely resting in peace .
Report mitch leary January 11, 2011 7:26 PM GMT
its disgusting what happened. if robbery was the motive why not just leave it at that. flee the scene.
i cant imagine there was much to steal anyway.
my heart goes out to both families.
Report superdub January 11, 2011 8:03 PM GMT
very very sad RIP
Report Steveirll January 11, 2011 8:27 PM GMT
I am still shocked and very sad after hearing this news last night, listening to Mickey Harte speak on the news put a lump in my throat very moving.

I remember seeing her on the Rose of Tralee and the Late Late Show, she was a beautiful person both inside and outside.
Report donal January 11, 2011 8:45 PM GMT
Words simply cannot express how terrible this is. Would really get you questioning what is life all about! For such a good decent family to be torn apart like this is truly heartbreaking.
Report Kerrygold January 11, 2011 10:47 PM GMT
very rough now - decent family as well , the father is a real genuine top guy

-  surveillance will at least partially show what happended  - lets see how it plays out - keeping an open mind
Report Newmanix January 11, 2011 11:47 PM GMT
A fooked up day in paradise, I used to work with a couple from there, very honest and good mannered people.  Shocking scenario.  I hope they get to the bottom of it straight away and dont make it any harder on the families.
Report paddletoe January 12, 2011 12:18 AM GMT
I watched the news tonight and when i saw Mickey talking, flanked by his two sons i dont mind admitting their were tears in my eyes.

I cant remember the last time i felt so sad when someone died who was not a family memeber.
Report paddletoe January 12, 2011 12:24 AM GMT
I had my own wedding a few months ago and i just cant imagine what her poor husband and both families must be feeling.

May a lovely young lady rest in peace.
Report Steamship January 12, 2011 12:54 AM GMT
I've seen this on the news tonight and would like to add my condolences to her family and friends. A tragedy
Report redroar January 12, 2011 1:40 AM GMT
Takes a northern man to figure it out in 90 seconds flat

They have crimes against tourist laws over there. Some ones going to get the death penalty methinks
Report db1974 January 12, 2011 11:44 AM GMT
No death penalty in Mauritius
Report The Bhoys January 12, 2011 1:12 PM GMT
awful news. so the likly hood is that its a hotel staff member?
Report Stranworst1 January 12, 2011 1:17 PM GMT
Some nice tributes here lads. I am a friend of the couple and this has been a devastating time.

The wedding last Thursday was such a great day, thinking back on the speeches now it is heartbreaking. Mickey spoke at length in his speech about how much he loved Michaela, said she had never missed match he had taken a Tyrone team from minor through u21 to senior. Called her his number one fan.

Am absolutely gutted for John, was on his stag do in November, he is a great lad, one of my best mates from school onwards. he loved her with all his heart and now he will be a broken man.

Hope he gets home soon enough, just got reports that his parents have arrived out and his brother and Michaela's brother Mark arrived this morning. That would have been a lonely couple days for him.

RIP Michaela, as lovely a girl as you would ever meet.
Report tobywong. January 12, 2011 4:36 PM GMT
jesus stranworst1, my heart goes out to you and all the people involved, it is truly horrific and I cannot even begin to comphrend or understand it, it is just shocking. I have one sister and cannot even imagine what those poor families are going through.

It is a crime that has shocked the country to its very core, may she rest in peace.
Report silverwasp January 12, 2011 5:39 PM GMT
I know its no consolation but it would be nice if they could change the name of the Sam Maguire Cup after her.

Call it the (  Michaela Cup ) im sure Sam or anyone in Ireland would mind .

I cant go one minute without thinking of this tragedy .

It wouldn't be possible to dream a nightmare worse than what has happened.

Both Families are in my prayers .
Report rule4 will apply January 12, 2011 5:43 PM GMT
RIP. my condolences to all who knew her... the quintessential Irish girl.
Report robo January 12, 2011 10:01 PM GMT
Terrible thing to happen,absolutely dreadful.The one thing that struck me this evening was the speed with which the authorities found and charged the culprits .None of this civil rights horses pisss over there,find the people involved,take them into custody,none of this taping or video recording.Just beat the basstards to pulp until they give the needed confession and then straight to the courthouse.We should learn from this because over in this country scum are given far too much rope legally and laying charges and attaining convictions are far too protracted.One thing is for certain and that is that these 3 low lifes won't be getting off on a technicality over there.It's of little consolation to the girls family and friends but at least there will be swift justice.
Report Steveirll January 12, 2011 11:07 PM GMT
Stranworst1, All our prayers are with the families and all the friends. I'm speechless at times of the day everytime i hear it on the radio or on the news i just cant believe its happened someone we have all grown to know from being at games in Croker or seeing them on TV. Like another poster above i got married last summer and i cant stop thinking of poor Michaela and John and both families.
Steve in Dublin
Report tyronesam January 12, 2011 11:17 PM GMT
reading all the kind words on here certainly shows what a close knit country we are after all the slagging and banter on here....
Report Kerrygold January 12, 2011 11:20 PM GMT
Robo - you are talking rubbish here, calm heads have to prevail.

No point in locking up fellas that have fcuk all to do with it, not many facts have come out yet...
Report robo January 12, 2011 11:30 PM GMT
No I'm not talking rubbish kerrygold,if the same thing happened over here these 3 basstards would have briefs giving them instructions and telling them what to do .Over there,no messing,narrow it down,get the whip out and get the confession.You kerrygold are a typical do gooder,the reason why this country is in such a state is because of people like yourself.Championing peoples rights has left our legal system in a shambolic state.Knobb cops and trash prosecutors make for a low conviction rate and when they do get one ,a doting judge hands down a lenient sentence.There will be none of that messing in Mauritius and rightly so
Report mightymoyes January 12, 2011 11:36 PM GMT
moron.
Report Temlett January 12, 2011 11:44 PM GMT
Can we agree to disagree on this.

The thread is about the devastation that has been caused to the Harte's and McAreavey's and to pay tribute to a wonderful girl.
Report robo January 12, 2011 11:53 PM GMT
That is quite correct temlett,the thread is about the devastation the families are currently suffering.Of course it's a terrible tragedy,but all I'm saying is that the family are at least are going to get justice.A similar situation arose with a French lady in West Cork many years ago,her family are still looking for justice due to police negligence
Report timberman January 13, 2011 12:08 AM GMT
THe Criminals have too much rights in ireland..Travellers-pavee point-Discrimination etc etc..
Report Kelly January 13, 2011 5:09 AM GMT
Been travelling , so missed most of this horrible event .  Unbelievable tragedy .  Thoughts are with families .
Report paddletoe January 13, 2011 7:09 AM GMT
It would be very understandably if the families would wish to say their final farewell to Michaela in private but if they are happy with the wider community attending the funeral i think everyone who has followed Tyrone footballers would like to be there.

Mickey, with Michaela by his side, has given us some of the happiest and proudest days of our lives and we would like to be there for Mickey and the families to show our support on his saddest day.
Report Vasco08 January 13, 2011 9:41 AM GMT
Sad news and at least the police moved quickly to dispell any speculation that the husband was involved. As for Robo, were you by any chance working for the police in Guilford or Birmingham in the 70's
Report Tony Fenton January 13, 2011 10:33 AM GMT
Lovely girl will be sadly missed I'm sure of that.

Sympathies to husband, both families and all friends.
Report downallstar January 13, 2011 10:49 AM GMT
Don't think I've ever felt as shocked or saddened about a person passing that was not a family member or friend.
The cold bloodedness and the total senselessness of this is hard to fathom.
Report Winner_Winner_Chicken_Diner January 13, 2011 6:32 PM GMT
Those bastards on the tv there now re inacting the scene. They can burn in hell and that is not good enough
Report Anaglogs Daughter January 13, 2011 8:54 PM GMT
Michaela McAreavey was strangled over a purse containing a small amount of cash, it was revealed tonight.

As the body of the 27-year-old newlywed began its journey home, detectives on the Indian Ocean island of Mauritius said the burglars-turned-killers she interrupted in her hotel room were rummaging for a purse.

The price over which the teacher lost her life emerged after police told reporters that one of the three hotel workers charged in connection with the murder had confessed.

It is understood that room attendant Avinash Treebhoowoon, 29, admitted the crime to officers after one of his co-accused and fellow room attendant Raj Theekoy, 33, made a statement implicating him and the third accused, floor supervisor Sandip Moneea, 41.

Treebhoowoon and Moneea, who are alleged to have carried out the killing, face murder charges.

Police sources believe they returned to rob the room after spotting the purse in the couple’s room while cleaning the day before.

Theekoy, who is charged with conspiracy, is alleged to have passed along the corridor outside the room in the luxury Legends Hotel while the struggle was taking place but, despite hearing screams, did nothing to stop it.

“Avinash Treebhoowoon has confessed,” said a spokesman for the Mauritian Police Force.

“Further investigations will continue tomorrow.”

Mrs McAreavey, who married husband John just 10 days before her death, was the daughter of Tyrone football manager Mickey Harte.

Two of the accused were forced to take part in a reconstruction of the crime at the hotel complex today.

A flight carrying the body of the Irish language teacher was due to leave the island tonight en route to London. Her remains are expected to be back in the Harte family home near Ballygawley, Co Tyrone by tomorrow lunchtime.

It is expected her funeral will take place on Monday at St Malachy’s chapel near the home – the same church where she wed only weeks ago.

Last night, 30-year-old Mr McAreavey described his late wife as his best friend who was the “rock” of his life.

The Co Down footballer said he shared his pain with Mrs McAreavey’s parents, Mickey and Marian, and her three brothers.

“She is a gift from God and I now have an angel,” he said.

“I can’t describe in words how lost I feel as Michaela is not just the light of my life – she is my life.”

He added: “Our hopes, our dreams and our future together are gone. I love my wife, very, very much and my world revolved around her.”

Irish Ambassador in South Africa Brendan McMahon, who is on the holiday island, said it had been extremely painful for Mr McAreavey, whose brother, brother-in-law and father arrived yesterday to support him. They were due to attend a memorial service at the hotel today.

“John is absolutely devastated. It is very upsetting. It’s not an easy situation at all,” Mr McMahon said.

The ambassador said the killing had sent a shockwave across Mauritius, with staff at the Legends Hotel stunned.

Mrs McAreavey was strangled in her room on Monday and her body – discovered by her husband – left in the bath.

It is understood skin tissue found under her fingernails could prove crucial to the police case against the accused.

DNA tests on forensic evidence recovered from her body are due to be completed by the end of the week.

The newlywed fought for her life against her attacker in her room, according to the police.

The three defendants were yesterday remanded in police custody for a week to return to Mapou District Court next Wednesday, when they are expected either to be formally charged or released.

Any future trial is expected to be held within six months.
Report Patsy Indy Cline January 14, 2011 3:47 PM GMT
It's terribly sad for all involved. We're all agreed on that but renaming the All Ireland in her honour ?
Jesus. Some of ye need to get a grip.
Report den perry January 14, 2011 11:21 PM GMT
RIP - TO THE FRIEND OF THE COUPLE ABOVE, MY CONDOLENCES
Report paddletoe January 15, 2011 6:12 PM GMT
I read a version of events in the paper today and its probably very accurate. The accused had proabably been riffling through guests rooms over a period of time. They would only take a small ammount of cash so it would not be noticed.

So fickle and tragic how some events  can be. If Michaela had not come into the room at the exact time they had the wallet in their hands those who killed her could probably have talked their way out of why they were in the room. A few seconds of tragic timing cost a young lady her life and devastated two familes and so many more people. All over no more than £40.
Report Klaus Kinski January 16, 2011 1:25 AM GMT
I read a version of events in the paper today and its probably very accurate. The accused had proabably been riffling through guests rooms over a period of time. They would only take a small ammount of cash so it would not be noticed.

What exactly makes you presume this is probably very accurate?
Report paddletoe January 16, 2011 1:02 PM GMT
If they took a wallet or a large sum of money from a wallet it would be noticed and with no break in it would be obvious to the guest that someone working in the hotel with access to a key was responsible. When the hotel looked into the matter they could easily narrow down the culprits to a narrow group of employess.

I think if most people left a wallet in a room they would not notice a few notes missing. Even if they did they would think they would probably think they have just spent it on something they cant remember about.

For the same reason of not being caught the culprits would not have stolen jewelry because even jewelry with not much monetary value would likely have sentimental value to a guest and they would be asking questions.

By the sound of things i would be surprised if this was the first time those responsible had done this. It was just the first time they had been caught and an intenrion to steal a small ammount of money led to very tragic consequences.
Report paddletoe January 16, 2011 1:24 PM GMT
Hotel employees stealing from guests rooms is more common than some people might think in overseas countries where many hotel staff are on low wages and see foreigners with a lot more money.

The same thing happened to me last summer on holidays. We left the room to have some drinks in the bar and when we returned things had been stolen. The reason i know someone with access to a key was responsible was because the tv was not working. It was then i realised it had been turned off at the switch.

The tv was still on when we left. Like a lot of hotels the same card which opens the room is also needed for electricity in the room. When we returned the tv should have came on as soon as we put the card in on enetering thre room. But it did not.

I can only guess what happened. An hotel employee with access to a key card had entered the room when we were in the bar. They needed to put the card in compartment next to the inside door to see as it was at night. The tv automatically came on so they must have wanted to put the sound down. The remote for our tv was not working so they had to turn the tv off at the socket.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com