Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
trooper thornton
07 Nov 10 10:55
| Topic/replies: 671 | Blogger: trooper thornton's blog
In Todays Racing Post sounds like Johnny's on his way out
Pause Switch to Standard View Murtagh Silent over Ballydoyle Future
Show More
Report lustrumm November 8, 2010 5:00 PM GMT
Jeez all the keyboard jockeys with all the "in the know" merchants.

For jaysus sake folks anyone that ever set foot on a racecourse knows score. If anyone thinks that a row over Murtagh's comments in June or the young fella getting a few extra rides to be top apprentice is the reason for this then you should not be left near a pc for fear of what damage you could do to yourself
Report kavvie November 8, 2010 5:06 PM GMT
abuse is ur middle name id say?u never seem to have anything positive to say?its always conflict with you.have u ever thought of visiting someone who might help you?
Report snap crackle and pop November 8, 2010 5:09 PM GMT
Yes, June was the breaking point for Murtagh I am afraid. Was never going to be stable jock in 2011 from that point on
Report thegalwayman November 8, 2010 5:09 PM GMT
Doyler will be along to tell us why he gave Johnny the boot soon.
Report Doyler1987 November 8, 2010 5:25 PM GMT
The user was successfully added to your blocked list.
thegalwayman

---
How cool is the new forum Grin
Report soapp November 8, 2010 5:26 PM GMT
I am at most meetings but don't know the real reason.

I do know he hadn't been down in Ballydoyle of late for schooling.

There had been roumours all right for the past two months.

This Ascot story is new to me.
Report punchestown November 8, 2010 5:40 PM GMT
Maybe it will suit both parties as Murtagh's stock across the pond still valued highly on both sides of the water by those "best available" trainers,APOB will find it a bit easier to pit Joseph up without Murtagh around.

To be honest I've heard so many different stories about the reason for Murtagh's departure that it might be a combination of things that brought about the situation.

I doubt if we'll ever hear the full story.
Report lustrumm November 8, 2010 5:47 PM GMT
My point exactly and apologies if anyone thought my last post offensive.

But now all of a sudden we have fellas thinking they have missed something in June.

What happened in June is that Murtagh said too much in a BBC interview after a race re tactics and the pacemakers trying to block horses as they fall back through the field.

No big deal at the time and no big deal now.

As everyone knows Murtagh has turned his life around in the last 10 years. People have short memories. But to give you some indication of the sacrifice we were at an airport one day coming back from Cheltenham and Hector was there. He sat down with us at the Burgerking having something to eat.
The chat came round to Murtagh and he told us a story that he could never do this if he was out with him as the discipline he needed to stay off the grub was even worse than trying to avoid alcohol.
The last time he was chamipon he told a photographer that he would give it all back to be able to go for a McDonalds.

This takes its toll, Murtagh has given his all and he is now struggling with his weight. Sure it is sore to see your rides going to the trainers son but that is not the reason. The reason is that Murtagh cant sacrifice any more and his hunger will never match APOB's

Amazingly I read on the other forum some clown saying APOB was overrated. APOB is the most driven man I have ever laid eyes on and he will gobble up and spit out many more jockeys than Murtagh before he is done
Report DecDec. November 8, 2010 6:12 PM GMT
he injured st nicholas abbey and was never forgiven. anyone else hear this?
Report Blackwater November 8, 2010 6:17 PM GMT
No one disputes APOB's drive.

But Ballydoyle's results over the past two seasons have been poor by their own standards.
Report yort November 8, 2010 6:51 PM GMT
The name Richard Hughes is being mentioned in a few cirles down Tipp way today. Has anyone else heard something similar? When i think about it, it's definitely a possibilty. It would give hughsie the chance to have a proper book of classic rides, something he won't have with Hannon, even allowing for how successful their partnership has been. Must do some digging around
Report Rowley Mile November 8, 2010 7:02 PM GMT
Anyone know if the rumuor is true that a uk based jock has already turned it down ?
Report soapp November 8, 2010 7:10 PM GMT
This was said in the RP yesterday.

That jockey is believed to have been Ryan Moore
Report Viva Pataca November 8, 2010 7:40 PM GMT
Sorry Mordin, that is what I meant to say. Both wives are sisters, correct.

Rule4 will Apply, not sure if Gomez ever rode Henrythenavigator? It was Johnny V who rode him in the 2008 Classic and he seems to be Coolmore's top boy Stateside.
Report lustrumm November 8, 2010 9:24 PM GMT
Before anyone else makes an ass of themselves by nominating an American Jockey have a look at the prizemoney these guys are making 10% of
The top jocks in the US are all multi millionaires and treated like rock stars. I was at a few meetings in Del Mar during the summer and it was quite sometihng to see beautiful, beautiful girls fawning over these midgets.
Those guys arent going anywhere
Report sean rua November 8, 2010 10:39 PM GMT
So maybe nobody on here really knows,
or, if anyone does, he ain't gonna spill.
Right?
Report irish_guy_13 November 8, 2010 10:42 PM GMT
on pp site

smullen 6/4
smullion 5/2
fallon 4/1
colm o d' 9/2
Report Anaglogs Daughter November 8, 2010 10:45 PM GMT
Marcus Townsend:

Pat Smullen appears in pole position to replace Johnny Murtagh as Aidan O'Brien's stable jockey, despite a betting plunge on Frenchbased Belgium Christophe Soumillon.
One of the best jobs in European racing - and the most pressurised - is vacant after Murtagh severed his three-year link with the Ballydoyle trainer.
Both Smullen and Soumillon share 2-1 favouritism to take up the post with Irish bookmakers ****, who slashed Soumillon from 6-1. But sources have told Racemail that the job would be Smullen's if he wants it.

The 33-year-old, who leads the Irish jockey's championship with 91 wins, would appear to face a dilemma. Joining up with O'Brien is one of the best jobs in world racing. But a move would mean Smullen severing his long and successful partnership with trainer Dermot Weld.
Murtagh's last ride as O'Brien's stable jockey was the unplaced Beethoven in Saturday's Breeders' Cup Turf Mile at Churchill Downs. He enjoyed huge success on the likes of Fame And Glory, Rip Van Winkle and Yeats and, even in a far from vintage year, rode 11 of O'Brien's 14 2010 Group One winners in Europe.

The leading candidates to take over from Murtagh CHRISTOPHE SOUMILLON (2-1 Jt-Fav)
World class and won Group One Prix Ganay on O'Brien's Dylan Thomas in 2007. Reputation for arrogance.
PAT SMULLEN (2-1 Jt-Fav)
Alongside Murtagh in the Irish jockey pecking order but hard to see him severing long-term link with trainer Dermot Weld.
KIEREN FALLON (5-1)
Deadly partnership with O'Brien early in the decade until his troubles. Unlikely to be welcomed back.
RYAN MOORE(12-1)
The man they'd like but, especially with a young family, would be hard to prise from job with Sir Michael Stoute.
JAMIE SPENCER (12-1)
Negative is he has done the job and quit after a year. But more mature now. Needs a big job and godson of Coolmore supremo John Magnier.
JOSEPH O'BRIEN (16-1)
Talented teenager but far too raw at this stage for one of the biggest jobs in racing
But there have been rumours of unrest for weeks. It is unclear how much truth there is in the suggestion that Murtagh was upset that O'Brien was directing more rides to his teenage son Joseph in his quest to win the Irish apprentice championship.
There was no reaction from either Coolmore Stud or Ballydoyle, while Murtagh's statement was terse.
But, what is clear is that gossip had a massive unsettling effect on the 40-year-old jockey, who, in his statement, said: 'I would like to take this opportunity to thank John Magnier, Derrick Smith, Mr Michael Tabor and Aidan O'Brien for the wonderful and successful three years that we had together and wish all of them and their families every success in the future.'
The pressure of the Ballydoyle job can frazzle the brain. Even the great Mick Kinane quit the job in 2004.
Report mr phantom November 9, 2010 12:10 AM GMT
I agree with earlier post about Cathy Gannon but of course this is totally unrealistic though personally id have her over Soumillion or Smullen anyday of the week. Soumillion for instance has often been found out at tracks outside of France esp Ascot. There is only 1 man for this job and i think most would love to see him back. Some are mentioning Richard Hughes who no doubt has had a great year but how many shockers has this man given horses over the years. Personally its a no brainer, if they the powers at be will have him back. But its got to be Kieran Fallon the best jockey of generation and horse man to boot.
Report irish_guy_13 November 9, 2010 2:00 AM GMT
fallon no, he carries too much past trouble
defo not hughes, fancies himself as a future english race horse trainer, he ain;t coming back to this mess.
Report punchestown November 9, 2010 3:35 AM GMT
11 Group 1's this year for APOB (correct me if I'm wrong) and people think it was a bad year?,if Coolmore are pushing Murtagh out they're making a huge mistake imho,EVERY jockey makes the occasional mistake with the great ones making the very occasional one, and JP Murtagh fits into that category.

I think it sounds  to me like the whole situation was badly handled by the "Boys in blue".
Report Gwanyaboyya!! November 9, 2010 11:55 AM GMT
Johnny has had a torrid time over the years regarding weight as we all know and that McDonalds story earlier in the thread is interesting because he said something very similar to a friend of mine who knows him through football.  There are so many theories doing the rounds but despite what punters think racing isn't the be all and end all for a lot of people.  For all we know he might simply just have a pain in his boll*x wasting all the time.
Report lustrumm November 9, 2010 1:39 PM GMT
My own view for what it is worth is Spencer has a big chance with maybe a stipend that they can use the best available if they want.
So for example if there are 3 rides at the Curragh on a Sunday Spencer rides them and Ballydoyle are free to book Soumillon or Fallon etc for the G1 ride in Europe.

That is how I see it. If Smullen was to get the job I feel he would have gotten it by now.

Smullen is a good jockey but he is no Murtagh or Mick Kinane and will never be and he would admit that himself. Smullen should stay at Weld's where he is well suited
Report Anaglogs Daughter November 9, 2010 1:45 PM GMT
Pat Smullen has ruled himself out of the vacancy at Ballydoyle left by the departure of Johnny Murtagh.

Smullen, 33, was installed as favourite to succeed Murtagh as number one to Aidan O'Brien and the Coolmore horses following Murtagh's surprise statement on Monday.

However, Smullen, Ireland's champion rider, is to remain as stable jockey to Dermot Weld.

'I've got a very good job and I ride for some very good owners so I'm happy where I am,' he said.

'I'm staying with Dermot and very happy to do so. He's a world class trainer and he's got some great owners. I'm very happy in the position I am at the moment.
Report Anaglogs Daughter November 9, 2010 2:33 PM GMT
http://bit.ly/brfnAy
Report trooper thornton November 9, 2010 3:18 PM GMT
Well its clear from this thread and current media reports no one has a clue why he resigned
Report lustrumm November 9, 2010 3:46 PM GMT
Thats right Trooper that is why I posted on the topic 4 times telling you exactly why he resigned.

Dumb and Dumber spring to mind.

Dont know who is more stupid, you for your inane comment or me for being idiot enough to be drawn back in by it

May I make a brief suggestion to you and that is try the Beta forum. It is easier to track posts that way and read all my posts on this thread.
Thanks
Report layprofessional November 9, 2010 5:21 PM GMT
he went to office to steal anothers job;clue opposite to curragh racecourse;not a nice thing to do imo
Report irish_guy_13 November 9, 2010 5:54 PM GMT
say again Confused
Report ChildOfMine2 November 9, 2010 7:06 PM GMT
I heard Murtagh is back on the gargle Confused
Report Anaglogs Daughter November 9, 2010 7:32 PM GMT
A spokesman for PP said that a punter "whose judgment we respect" had asked for a price about Julien Leparoux, a Frenchman who plies his trade in the United States. Power's offered 10-1, noting that Leparoux won the Eclipse award for outstanding US-based apprentice in 2006, an accolade previously given to Cash Asmussen and Steve Cauthen, who both rode in Europe later in their careers
Report sinndar001 November 9, 2010 7:47 PM GMT
Christ the betting is open. If Moore would take the job he should be 1.01 to get it but it looks like he won't. Is there any chance a BJG/Ruby like arrangement would do them with Moore flying in to ride at the weekend and some midweek days and the main work mornings?
Report trooper thornton November 9, 2010 8:03 PM GMT
Ok Lustrumm went over your previous posts on this thread and from what i can see your talking rumours and conjecture and your opinion no hard facts and by the way no need to be agressive to get your point across.

if you have a point to make by all means make it no need to ram your opinion down our Throats
Report arthurspooner November 9, 2010 8:15 PM GMT
trooper the most important thing i took from his posts was that hector likes a burger king.
Report DMCK November 9, 2010 8:34 PM GMT
arthurspooner your full of s@1t hector is a supermacs man, born and breed [:)]
Report mr phantom November 9, 2010 9:11 PM GMT
Jamie Spencer his name beside a horse is enough to stop me backing it regardless of how much i fancy it.
Report kavvie November 9, 2010 9:29 PM GMT
id back fallon to a good wedge if i got 4s
Report mightymoyes November 9, 2010 10:19 PM GMT
hes 9/2 at w.hill
they rarely used fallon all year even when they had multiple entries in races.
Report kavvie November 9, 2010 10:26 PM GMT
not any more ..betting suspended..
Report lustrumm November 9, 2010 10:32 PM GMT
Thanks Trooper that is all one can ask and that is to grant someone the courtesy of reading their thoughts before posting on a thread and apologies if my last thread sounded condescending, that was not the intention.

I dont go racing much anymore and dont have the up to the minute version but I could have told you in July that this was his last season. Ballydoyle have chewed him up and spat him out and Murtagh cant make the sacrifices APOB demands everyday anymore. That is 80% of it, 15% of it is weight problems (another poster referred to it earlier) and I'd say 5% is due to the young fellow getting same of his rides.

As Mick Kinane said when he left all good things come to an end.

As for Fallon I cant see it. He really shot his load all over them the last time and it is far from certain all his problems are behind him. How embarassing would it be if he left them down again.

APOB wants a jockey that will ride out every day, come back from England in the middle of a festival to ride work in the morning. Spencer could do it if he moved back to Ireland which he could if he wanted to
Report Giant Strides November 9, 2010 11:05 PM GMT
What he appears to want is a lap dog. The job is simply not as illustrious as it once was and that`s nothing to do with the horses.
I sense a lot of resentment at the operation in comparison to the respect it garnered a decade ago. I think people really aren`t bothered if they succeed or not anymore.
FWIW I`d like to see Declan McDonagh get a crack at it. Think he would be perfectly suited but it won`t happen.
Report Kelly November 10, 2010 1:49 AM GMT
Day in and day out in Ireland most competent Irish ( or other nationalities ) jockeys could throw their legs over Coolmore horses and win their fair share of races . There are already 3 "second tier " jockeys involved with the stable , but probably none of them are in line for the "top job " .

Going down to Tipperary every morning to ride work , then riding somewhere miles away ( or a plane journey away ) in the afternoon or in the evening ( sometimes both ) would not be everybody's cup of tea .  Burn out springs to mind .

A lot of Coolmore horses are high profile , comes with the performance ( or lack of it ) on the racecourse and the co-related hype . Puts a lot of pressure on .

To me Coolmore need the best work rider in the world , one who can throw his leg over a horse , take it for a spin or two  , and come back in and tell the trainer the horses true worth .  That rider does not have to be the one necessarily who rides the horse at The Curragh , Ascot , Epsom , Longchamp etc . He does not even have to be a current top flight competitive jockey .

There are 20 good / excellent jockeys world wide who could win 9 times out of 10 on any top class Coolmore horse . Best in the world for me is Peslier , if I was Magnier and Co I would have him on my horse every time I was pretty certain of a big run in a big race .  But I would not expect him to be re-locating to Ireland , nor to be riding in a maiden at Listowel or Galway .  The Curragh and Leopardstown , yes maybe .

There are several others near to Peslier in different jurisdictions  , if I was Coolmore I would be identifying them and getting first claim on them after their own particular loyalty clauses kicked in .

The recent / current modus operandi re "stable jockey " makes impossible demands on the person concerned  , anyone capable of doing the job needs obviously to be top drawer and with an element of Superman thrown in . Those capabilities will already have made the jockey concerned very well off , so financial reward elements dont play a huge part in decisions like this .

Split the "job " formally I say , Vincent had Lester up his sleeve , but kept Lester on a long leash .  Worked perfectly . And if Lester was for whatever reason not available , Scobie and a couple of others were happy to step in . Lessons there for all .
Report lustrumm November 10, 2010 1:37 PM GMT
Actually Gant he was another chap I thought had a chance. He has great manners and doffs the cap to his superiors in the fashion that Coolmore seem to apprecaite, rides to instructions and has a good lifestyle.
However the same thing applies with him as to Smullen in that the question could be asked "is he good enough"
I'd rate him higher than Smullen but I am still thinknig he does not have the "wow" factor.

Let me put it like this how would Heffernan and O Donoughue feel to see one of their peers get the job that they would feel entitled to a crack at.

McDonagh is a long shot imo
Report lustrumm November 10, 2010 1:41 PM GMT
It was Deccie McDonagh I was referring to in my post (doesnt read very well)

Olivieir Peslier would be perfect for this job but I'd say Kelly has the right take on him. At this hour of his life he has no interest in doffing the cap to O Brien and the likes of Derrick Smith every morning at Ballydoyle.

It could be a best available jobby
Report layprofessional November 10, 2010 5:35 PM GMT
king kf is back yesssssssssssssssssssssss
Report mightymoyes November 10, 2010 6:23 PM GMT
who says?
Report irish_guy_13 November 10, 2010 6:35 PM GMT
no betting with pp, decision made?
Report Anaglogs Daughter November 10, 2010 7:55 PM GMT
Bookies still betting on it: http://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing-betting/racing-specials/aidan-obrien...
Report Anaglogs Daughter November 10, 2010 8:12 PM GMT
Steve Arnold in the mix now, it looks like he will be riding So You Think in all his European races for O'brien
Report Anaglogs Daughter November 10, 2010 8:14 PM GMT
Australia 11th Nov:

COOLMORE'S Ballydoyle trainer Aidan O'Brienhad no hesitation in labelling the world's most famous race, the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, in Paris next September as one of the goals for the stable's new Australian acquisition, So You Think.

O'Brien said on Australia Sky Sports radio he could hardly wait until the magnificent four-year-old entire arrived in Ireland next month.

The final piece in the majority sale of So You Think to Coolmore was completed this week when the High Chaparral stallion passed all veterinary checks. His original owners, Dato Tan Chin Nan and Tunku Ahmad Yahaya, have retained a small interest in the stallion, who is valued at as much as $60 million.

Advertisement: Story continues below ''We have heard and seen him and obviously heard all about him before we saw him originally, and he looks an incredible athlete and we are really looking forward to having him over in this part of the world,'' O'Brien said.

''We trained his dad [High Chaparral] here and he was a very good horse. He was very quick and very tough. I think that this horse has all the quality and class of his dad.''

O'Brien said a racing plan was not set for So You Think in Europe, with the horse to have a break over the northern winter. "We will start to get them ready in the spring but obviously all the big races are open to him at Ascot, the Prince of Wales, the King George … and you would want to go for the Arc after that.

"It looks like with what we have seen of him, he can go in at any depth in any race.''

Earlier this year, O'Brien prepared Australian-bred sprinter Starspangledbanner to win the group 1 Golden Jubilee Stakes at Royal Ascot.

As jockey Johnny Murtagh this week announced his split with Ballydoyle after two years, O'Brien said it was not out of the question that Steven Arnold, who was So You Think's rider in Australia this spring, could retain the mount next year.

"We saw his races and saw the ride that Steven had given him and he has been a big part of the horse, and I think he has been incredibly good on him, as he has been able to steady him, with him being a very pacy, athletic sort of horse,'' the renowned trainer said.

''He has been able to relax him and he has done an incredible job riding him.''

So You Think bowed out of Australian racing after just 12 starts that reaped five group 1 wins, including two Cox Plates and $5.7 million in prizemoney. He finished a game third in the Melbourne Cup last week in his final start in this country.

O'Brien said he could understand the disappointment surrounding the transferral of So You Think to Ireland. ''They are the kind of horses that capture the public's imagination,'' he said.

One of the most disappointed was the Cups King, Bart Cummings, who will not get to train the horse for a third Cox Plate next year
Report jair1970 November 11, 2010 12:05 AM GMT
I think they'll appoint someone, to not do so would be an admission of weakness.
The candidate needs:
1. experience of UK and Irish tracks
2. to be recognisably above average.

Fallon, for all that I don't know the internal dynamics of his previous departure, is clearly the best fit and I thought he built up a good early working relationship with AP last time (ie. brought horses to Chester, and seemed to have input into plans) and he's plainly the most talented jockey in the UK or Ireland. Would either side want it? Who knows, but he's the only fella to win an Arc for them and for me that shows the man's class.

Soumillon is interesting, mainly because of his maverick tendancies, which obviously make him a bit of a wild card.  Would the quite life in Co. Tipperary be for him? Also, he, much like Fallon, is in a bit of a no-man's land career wise.

After these two, you're left with:
1. Foreign jockeys- too much of a punt, no track knowledge
2. Class jockeys- none of whom would surely want it ie: Spencer, Moore, Hughes
3. Up and comers: who?
4. Sub par jockeys.

I can't see AP liking it, judging by what the job seems to require, but A Nicholls/ Walsh scenario could prove the most beneficial; but who would even do that?

Unless they've already got a solid plan here, next year could end up a bit of a mess.
Report Giant Strides November 11, 2010 10:30 AM GMT
The odd couple!

Soumillon still in pole for Ballydoyle vacancy

BY LEE MOTTERSHEAD 9:58AM 11 NOV 2010

CHRISTOPHE SOUMILLON on Thursday appeared to be in pole position to succeed Johnny Murtagh as number one rider to Aidan O’Brien.

As O’Brien’s former stable jockey Kieren Fallon became the latest high profile rider to distance himself from the biggest job in Flat racing, Soumillon continued to stoke the fires of speculation by failing to scotch suggestions that he is in talks with Ballydoyle.

Soumillon, who on Wednesday for the second consecutive day insisted that he could make no public comment on the sport’s hottest subject, remains the strong favourite to accept a position that has been left vacant.

With Sir Michael Stoute’s retained rider Ryan Moore rumoured to have turned down an approach from Ballydoyle in the autumn, attention has switched to Soumillon, previously successful in Group 1s for Ballydoyle and Coolmore and selected to partner Cape Blanco in last month’s Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe.

Soumillon, on Wednesday cut to 13-8 from 15-8 by Stan James, is as short as 5-4 with William Hill and **** having said on Tuesday that he did not want “to comment on the situation for the moment”.
Report GANT007 November 11, 2010 1:24 PM GMT
Fallon is the best man for the job but Soumillion would add a bit of flair that is missing from Ballydoyle at the moment.
Report lustrumm November 11, 2010 4:34 PM GMT
I would have thought Soumillon no question but there is no way he would live in Tipperary.

As was mentioned earlier if APOB was happy just to engage a top jock for the rides in the UK and Europe and an odd day in Ireland fair enough but my understanding is that he wants his jocks at the stables as much as he is and for sure riding out and settling horses every day.

Fallon will do all that but as I mentioned before he blew his load in their face after they stuck with him through thick and thin before and who is to say he would not do it again.
Maybe there is a couple of safe years in Fallon until the young O Brien is ready to take over. Still cant see it though
Report kavvie November 11, 2010 6:45 PM GMT
jp ob will get too heavy id say so thats out..id love to see kf in there.i hear it was his if he wanted it but im not sure..
Report mr phantom November 11, 2010 9:09 PM GMT
whats the fascination with soumillion i dont rate him at all just look at his ascot record
Report lustrumm November 11, 2010 9:26 PM GMT
To be fair Soumillon is a big race jockey but his work ethic would not do for APOB
Report penhead November 12, 2010 10:12 AM GMT
its the french mans lads
Report skinnyboots November 12, 2010 10:17 AM GMT
that rules Soumillion out so, him being one of the famous five
Report Giant Strides November 12, 2010 10:20 AM GMT
The Europeans are coming! Laugh
Report irish_guy_13 November 12, 2010 2:23 PM GMT
who's french?
Report curehead November 12, 2010 2:29 PM GMT
@12/1 , 14/1 in places d mc donagh ticks alot of boxes,
coolemore do like the homegrown boys it seems...
the fact that 3 or 4 in the market in front of him are 'dead' he's surely worth a tenner??
Report Aleksandrovsk Sakhalinsky November 12, 2010 2:37 PM GMT
Murtagh rides Recital for Aidan in France tomorrow, is this an indication that O'Donoghue and Heffernan are unlikely to get the job?
Report irish_guy_13 November 12, 2010 2:43 PM GMT
soumillon 8/13 with boyles now, he's belgian btw.

4/1 fallon and COD, 8/1 bar
Report one track mind November 12, 2010 8:12 PM GMT
apparantly soumillons done n dusted fill yer boots
Report kevo November 12, 2010 8:31 PM GMT
Soumillon, very talented jockey; but if he could just curb the histrionic celebrations after passing the winning post.
Report Rowley Mile November 12, 2010 9:20 PM GMT
I don't think they'll worry about his celebrations after the winning post, provided he passes it in 1st [:(]
Report lustrumm November 12, 2010 10:24 PM GMT
Jeez Murtagh looked a beaten docket at Dundalk tonight.
I'd say he needs a long break.
Report Major Rumpus November 13, 2010 1:16 PM GMT
Group 1 winner for Johnny in France.
Report itcanbedone November 13, 2010 4:32 PM GMT
Fallon has ZERO chance of getting this job imo. ZERO.  With respect anyone who thinks otherwise is clueless.

As I said when these rumours first emerged, the biggest issue for Murtagh seems to have been the fact that he is having to ride to order without any scope to ride horses how he sees fit.  Has put a strain on relations.
Report layprofessional November 14, 2010 8:19 AM GMT
fallon is coming
Report Irish are lucky November 14, 2010 1:52 PM GMT
Murtagh for a very smart man on a horse but  was v stupid in this situation and deservered to go.Like common sense would say that if you are going to leak info to relatives on a constant basis,at least dont ruin the price every time
Report GANT007 November 14, 2010 2:08 PM GMT
GANT007 Joined: 19 Sep 08
Replies: 1283 08 Nov 10 16:46   
It's well known in racing circles what went on....but that's life.
Report punchestown November 14, 2010 5:29 PM GMT
http://www.independent.ie/sport/horse-racing/saddled-with-unfair-burdens-2419373.html

The second part of the article is relevant to this thread.
Report DecDec. November 14, 2010 5:46 PM GMT
It was also claimed his services as a work rider were no longer required and, in this, there are clear echoes of Kinane's situation during his last year in 2003.

as said he injured st nicholas abbey and was never forgiven.
Report Roger De Bris November 14, 2010 8:15 PM GMT
why was Kinane not wanted to ride work?
Report BJG November 15, 2010 12:39 PM GMT
JOHNNY MURTAGH has been retained to ride all the horses owned by the Aga Khan in Ireland next season, it has been announced.

The arrangement will give Murtagh, who last week resigned from his stable jockey position with Ballydoyle trainer Aidan O'Brien, access to 120 horses the owner has with John Oxx and Michael Halford.
Report neill d November 15, 2010 1:14 PM GMT
nice one Johnny, no flys on him
Report skinnyboots November 15, 2010 1:31 PM GMT
120 Aga Khan horses seems like the wrong number to me, he has had 48 horses run 131 times in Ireland, I realise he will have a lot of unraced horses in training but not as many as 70 surely. Maybe the Aga has 120 in training in total?
Report Giant Strides November 15, 2010 1:35 PM GMT
The first thing I thought of when I read it too. Counting next years 2yos perhaps?
It was obvious Berry wasn`t a favourite of HRH!
Report workrider November 15, 2010 2:01 PM GMT
johnny   Cool
Report robo November 15, 2010 4:29 PM GMT
What does johnny followed by a stupid smiley face signify ?.Just curious.
Report neill d November 15, 2010 4:46 PM GMT
I'd infer that workrider percieves Johnny Murtagh to be shrewd.
Report robo November 15, 2010 5:02 PM GMT
Thank you Neill D, i wasnt sure what it meant,how could anybody decipher what Wonky is thinking.So it seems that Murtagh is shrewd,i just dont see it that clearly.
Report neill d November 15, 2010 5:25 PM GMT
Yeah, it is an interseting one, a good job with less pressure working for people one gets on with as against a great job, where the pressure is intense due to the commercial nature of Coolmore and perhaps the people are more difficult to get on with as its a more driven, competitive environment. With Aga Khan homebreads, there isn't the rush or the feeling of the need to prove something all the time. Maybe Murtagh is mellowing?
Report robo November 15, 2010 5:34 PM GMT
My reading of it is that Murtagh was in the process of being sacked and decided to save some face and leave himself.The Aga job came subsequent to his leaving and was propably music to his ears, although it isnt much of a job really with no horse of any consequence on the horizon.Leaving a classless organisation and working for gentlemen is definitely an upside to his move.
Report soapp November 15, 2010 6:11 PM GMT
I would agreee with robo. Johnny's position was being undermined. Kinane said it was the best decision he made when leaving O'Brien for Oxx.
He has gone 40 now, has a young family and doesn't need a pressure cooker job any more.
I just wonder did the approach from the Aga come before he resigned his position with Coolmore. Alas we will probably never know.
Report workrider November 15, 2010 6:26 PM GMT
neill d. its like going home for johnny , simple as , money not the answer to everything .
Report soapp November 15, 2010 6:28 PM GMT
Well said WR.

Were you at Punch yesterday?

There was only a small crowd in Cork and a poor one in Punch on Sat.
Report workrider November 15, 2010 6:34 PM GMT
no soapp , went to the cup final Sad were we got beat by a much better side tbh . was at my brothers funeral on sat . cheltenhams card on sat was the reason the  crowd at punchestown was so poor i belive . heading to thurles on thurs you going ... ?
Report soapp November 15, 2010 6:41 PM GMT
That was sad WR.

I will take in Gowran on Saturday and Navan on Sunday.

There was a massive crowd at the Troytown meeting last year and I reckon it will be the same again this year.

Rovers did you proud earlier in the month.

Con Murphy on RTE brought the memories flowing back with his interview with Stevie Lynex and Chris Rutherford. They both played in the last final between the two Hoops back in 78. I remember Lynex as being a good winger I think then while Rutherford was a dominant centre half. Sligo always referred to us as The Shams.

I was at the last game played in Milltown. Ironically it was Sligo in 84 i think.
Report workrider November 15, 2010 6:50 PM GMT
thats very kind of you soapp , yeah one of the best courses in ireland is navan , i love the place , re rovers it was sligo we played in the last game in milltown , ronnie nolan was on the pitch yesterday he must be near 80 i say , i remember in 62/63 season been at milltown ,we were 3/1 down to drumcondra with 4 mins to go we won 4/3 and ronnie got the winner ... he was carried shoulder high off the pitch . ah the memories .
Report robo November 15, 2010 8:41 PM GMT
It wasn't that he was carried shoulder high,it's just that he had a new watch and he wanted to make it harder for the Rovers supporters to steal it from him .Perfectly understandable in the circumstances.
Report GANT007 November 15, 2010 8:46 PM GMT
Robo....did you wear a watch when you played.
Report The Gotchee November 15, 2010 8:57 PM GMT
I reckon robo wore a hair band when he was playing.
Report GANT007 November 15, 2010 9:00 PM GMT
Or maybe he never got a game, had to look on and is seeking revenge.
Report workrider November 15, 2010 10:27 PM GMT
gantoo7 you know him so well Laugh
Report irish_guy_13 November 16, 2010 5:08 PM GMT
new betting with boyles

soumllion 4/5
cod 5/2
tom queally 6/1
spencer 7/1
fallon 8/1
fran berry 8/1

10's bar
Report Anaglogs Daughter November 16, 2010 5:21 PM GMT
I was in Rose Green sunday...Seems the boss isn't as popular as he thinks.
Report Anaglogs Daughter November 16, 2010 5:23 PM GMT
soumllion 4/5
cod 5/2
tom queally 6/1 1000/1
spencer 7/1 1000/1
fallon 8/1 1000/1
fran berry 8/1
1000/1 and i still wouldn't back those 4.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com