Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
soapp
21 Sep 10 19:25
| Topic/replies: 12,906 | Blogger: soapp's blog
I just had the one bet with Dixie during the week on the Friday. Loosen The Load at 4/6 when the general price was 8/13 and 4/7.
He had been missing for a lot of late summer before turning up again at Listowel.

HRI investigates bookie non-payment
Tue, 21st Sep, 2010

Th Horse Racing Ireland today confirmed an investigation is underway into the non-payment of winning bets by one on-course bookmaker at Listowel’s meeting last Saturday and a review of procedures may also take place.

On-course bookmaker Ger ‘Dixie’ Dalton, who didn’t price-up the final race having reportedly run out of money, left unpaid and disgruntled punters to form a lengthy queue outside the HRI Levy Office (responsible for such matters).

The tens of unfortunate punters are thought to be owed thousands of euros by the bookmaker.

Speaking on Tuesday, HRI’s Betting Division Manager Paul Finegan stated “I can confirm that Ger Dalton is under investigation regarding unpaid bets at Listowel on September 18.”

“We have to go through due-process before commenting further and all HRI’s Betting Division can do is sanction that the Bookmakers’ Committee either suspend or revoke a bookmaker’s license.”

He added “HRI currently hold a small deposit (€3,200) which covers Levy and pitch fees but there is nothing to cover punters’ losses – it is difficult to put a figure on how much does a bookmaker need to have to cover such an eventuality but that situation will now come under review.

“This is the first instance of this in at least 20 years and the next step will be to get in touch with the bookmaker and try to get to the bottom of this and see if we can secure payment for punters. However, it is still up in the air whether or not punters will get paid.”

At one point in his final betting race on Saturday, Dalton went 13/8, when 11/8 was generally best price in the ring, about eventual winner Laughing Boy
Pause Switch to Standard View Ger Dixie Dalton
Show More
Report Temlett September 22, 2010 12:07 PM BST
Rowley Mile Joined: 18 Nov 08
Replies: 550 21 Sep 10 19:32   

Worth their salt probably the operative words there.

Seriously though, this is a sad story and i'd feel for the bloke.

Why exactly would you feel sorry for him? He should not have been laying bets that he could not afford to pay out and has now absconded with punters money. It doesn't matter if he pays them back in weeks or months. They did not give him an interest free loan for an indefinite period of time. They had a bet with him that he should not have taken.
Report workrider September 22, 2010 12:12 PM BST
very valid point temlett , i suppose the next question one has to ask oneself is , would i bet with him again if he does come back ?????
Report robo September 22, 2010 12:21 PM BST
may be jimeen would like to give his expert view on this matter
Report workrider September 22, 2010 12:30 PM BST
he's gone into hiding robo Laugh to many on here have his number Cool
Report robo September 22, 2010 12:34 PM BST
your spot workrider what a dope
Report galway59 September 22, 2010 12:37 PM BST
Please keep out of it wankrider,if you dont have anything even remotely appropriate to contribute,then stick to the Shamrox Rovers threads and the anti GAA ones.How on earth is this man ever going to come back ya ginnit.Not for one second condoning what has taken place here,but the culpability should be shared in this instance,firstly Mr Dalton and secondly the powers that be that allowed this to happen.The man was returning from a suspension and was given the green light to carry on by somebody in authority at HRI.Everybody knew including HRI what was going to happen some day and finally it did.
Report rebel1 September 22, 2010 12:59 PM BST
paddies are laughing at this situation can only drive punters away from having bets oncourse ....if they get thier publicity machine going they could make mincemeat of hri...what have the inba to say about this eventuality.
Report robo September 22, 2010 1:32 PM BST
still not a word from jimeen
Report observerirl September 22, 2010 1:48 PM BST
This situation should never have arisen. We're in the 21st century. Surely with modern technology there should be some way of monitoring bookmakers risk and liability especially when they are holding customers monies. I agree with sinndar. The blame in most part must lie with those who supposedly oversee and manage the betting ring, HRI. Some poster mentions powers being delighted with this farce, surely its one of the main advantages of BF. You can only lose whats in your account and all backers/layers get paid immediately with no default or "Will you take a cheque I've no cash or Sure I'll see you next week or next month"
Report peppapig September 22, 2010 3:41 PM BST
i would say jimeen is fishing...is dixie gone into NAMA as well so..
Report ambush September 22, 2010 4:49 PM BST
the problem is that the hri dish out permits willy nilly.take dundalk for example.most bookies there have no expieriance.they rushed them through as quick as they could.they were anxious to get as many in as they could  when there was a dispute with the existing bookies.in the old days most of the pitches at racetracks had some value and if a bookie went bust at least there was some assets there to cover some of the debt.nowadays they have little or no value.rep permits are easy to attain.mr d did the same at this meeting last year only it came right for him.punchestown he did the same.why was nothing done then.now what i would like to know is who is responsible for the re-issuing of his permit.what will become  of the unpaid bets.maybe it time for gambling debts to become recoverable by law.
Report tocky junior September 22, 2010 6:31 PM BST
HRI 100% at fault he done very same at punch laid a horse to lose 18k with not a bean in the bag..horse got bt but this was common enough for dixie...hard to feel sorry for him topping prices every race...holiday punters did nt no any better
Report Man-O-War September 22, 2010 8:08 PM BST
Jimeen is probably visiting russell in hospital Grin. As for dixie he has no one to blame but himself and he should do himself and the punters a favor and sell the rest of his pitches, pay his debts and get out of the game.
Report tocky junior September 22, 2010 8:18 PM BST
Pitchs are worthless...def the biggest % drop in value in any commidity in last 5 yrs not far off bamk shares. 20k pitch 6years ago worth between 500e-1k now
Report tocky junior September 22, 2010 8:21 PM BST
Jimeen actually should buy dixie's pitchs get him goin at the game...if he could have made it pay in listowel..he ll have no prob at the game
Report workrider September 22, 2010 8:32 PM BST
jimeen , the paddy power of the forum Laugh
Report Doyler1987 September 22, 2010 8:39 PM BST
Laugh
Report Punter #1 September 22, 2010 9:08 PM BST
Who is this man of wisdom is this famous "jimeen"?
Report CALLING CARD September 22, 2010 9:15 PM BST
AN ON COURSE LAYER AND PUNTER I BELIEVE, TRADES UNDER HIS BROTHERS NAME MOSTLY. HAS ACCESS TO A MYRIAD OF BETFAIR ACCOUNTS. WOULD HAVE BEEN VERY HAPPY WITH THE GAA RESULT ON SUNDAY.CLOSELY CONNECTED TO THE MAIN RING PLAYERS AND A VERY BENT TRAINER
Report peppapig September 22, 2010 9:17 PM BST
agree with ambush,surely paul finningan who is on 160 k a year..would have known about his actions in listowel last year and punchestown if he took time to leave the free food and walk around the betting ring..but oh no he up stairs with the rail bookies getting free dinner with b.kavanagh...these lads are a joke with all the hri and tote staff...you would know well they work for the goverment...they have soft jobs and all they do is complain ,when all they do is call out pitches and collect holding cards,have top expenses,etc...as for tocky junior ,i think jimeen has better pitches than dixie so no need for him to go end of line..
Report Punter #1 September 22, 2010 9:20 PM BST
is tocky junior tocky mccarthy the bookie and poker player from cork?
Report norn iron September 22, 2010 9:20 PM BST
CALLING CARD , YOU SHUD STOP SITTING ON THE FENCE AND SAY WHO YOU MEAN[:p]
Report CALLING CARD September 22, 2010 9:25 PM BST
CRYPTIC PUZZLES NOT YOUR FORTE NORN
Report peppapig September 22, 2010 9:29 PM BST
is tocky junior the lad who had cows stolen from his land last year,,well thats what the wife was told..
Report norn iron September 22, 2010 9:32 PM BST
CC  DEFF  NOT M8
Report CALLING CARD September 22, 2010 9:38 PM BST
THE CLUE IS IN HIS USER NAME RHYMES WITH HIS SURNAME
Report Punter #1 September 22, 2010 9:41 PM BST
that cattle sale probably pertained to a debt settlement with a fat cat poker player from a seaside resort in east cork
Report norn iron September 22, 2010 9:42 PM BST
CC SPELL THAT FOR ME AS IM dyslexicLaugh
Report CALLING CARD September 22, 2010 9:51 PM BST
no norn ur not just a pedal cranker.
Report Allduckornodinner September 22, 2010 9:56 PM BST
Ah CC what did you go ruining jimeens identity for!! Then again I suppose it had to happen eventually. Was fairly funny while it lasted.

In relation to Dixie this was a disaster waiting to happen. Hasn't he touched most of the other layers to pay out regularily. I heard something about him in Tramore earlier this year and the curragh on one of the classic days. It would have been a PR disaster for racing altogether if that Tom Doran bumper horse that Mullins has had won in Punchestown given the high profile of the meet and the profile of most of the racegoers.
Report observerirl September 22, 2010 10:00 PM BST
If there was a book made on which bookie might just collapse in a financial sense it was surely the subject who would have been offered at long odds on. FFS this bookmaking game is not rocket science and you dont have to be elliott ness to determine whose walking a tight rope. So if the ordinary joe observes these things what the fcuk are highly paid individuals purporting to be guardians doing to regulate the operators. Surely this episode is a microcosm of what has already happened in the banking sector. I presumed that Jimeens i/d was well known and while I appreciated his comedy posts he can be a pain when getting his pants in a twist.
Report tocky junior September 22, 2010 10:07 PM BST
no i am not the legendery pat mac but often bet wit him as he always pays in fairness ....was in punch myself the day "DIX" took half of punch on and the rest cound nt get on i was also  in listowel last yr when he took on DK WELDS in handicap he wnt 9/2 best price on machine was 7/2 got it beaten but watched it along way from his pitch...everyone said he "knew" he knew jack ****....
Report snap crackle and pop September 23, 2010 8:24 PM BST
Heard off a friend that he even wrote a young lad a cheque for 4k. last year at listowel. seems like a similar story 12 months later.
Report Rocketfingers September 23, 2010 8:33 PM BST
I could never be a full time punter at horse racing, it's part of the reason i quit betting them and went full time with sports betting.
Report Shotgun Willy September 23, 2010 10:30 PM BST
Lads, too much comedy, I think this is a very serious issue.I am one of the unfortunates who didnt get paid Saturday. As a regular punter I should have known better and bet with one of more established lads , but it left a sour taste
Report peppapig September 23, 2010 10:41 PM BST
its a joke shotgun willy..was there myself but dont bet with the man in question,but was told it was the final race for him,,,was surprised he stayed aroud,taught he was just going to do a runner..But anyone going racing knows what he like and hri know more than us,,they should not have let him back,as everyone knew where it was going,,...as for the sour taste hopefully someone will pay u..but would not be waiting on hri as paul finningan is probably of golfing ,getting a free lunch somewhere,where ever he is he not racing anyway unless free lunch there too..But his head of betting division on over 100 k a year,,,bet you he could not name 10 bookies,par the ones on the rails that bring him for lunch
Report ambush September 24, 2010 12:10 AM BST
would he not know jim and his nine bookie friends.jim spent 45 min s  talking about them
Report countychampions September 24, 2010 2:55 PM BST
ambush never have a bet with a bookie wearing runners
Report Inthemiddle September 24, 2010 3:08 PM BST
HRI surely have a lot of explaining to do after Dixies piece in todays Examiner!!
Report Swinia September 24, 2010 3:14 PM BST
GER ‘Dixie’ Dalton, the bookmaker at the centre of the non-payment of winning bets at Listowel last Saturday, broke his silence yesterday.

Dalton laid two favourites late in the afternoon, Jack Cool and Laughing Boy, which both obliged, and was unable to meet his liabilities.

He reported as much to the Horse Racing Ireland levy office and did not bet on the final race. Ironically, that was also won by the market-leader, Cloone Rocket.

Said Dalton: "I hold my hands up and take one hundred per cent responsibiility for this."

The Killarney-based bookmaker, however, maintains that HRI and it’s betting division manager, Paul Finegan, should emerge from the debacle with little credit.

Explained Dalton: "My direct debit to HRI bounced seven months in-a-row. That direct debit is for pitch fees and levy and would come to approximately €2,000 a month.

"I owed HRI €4,500 and they stood me down for two and a half months. I then got a loan for €4,000 and Paul Finegan, on behalf of HRI, took that and told me I could pay the monkey (€500) when I had it.

"I returned to bookmaking at the Curragh on the Saturday and Sunday before Listowel. I lost €2,500 on the Saturday and a friend paid that for me. I didn’t do any damage on the Sunday and then headed for Listowel.

"I went to Listowel with no money and didn’t set out to rob anyone, but was under desperate pressure.

"I was in trouble when the favourite won the last race on Wednesday and wrote cheques which have bounced.

"I was supposed to be getting money from a man on the Friday by that never came. I left Listowel on Saturday owing about €30,000.

"At some stage I want to honour these debts if I can, but just don’t have the money at the moment.

"I haven’t got a plan, because my head is upside down and I don’t know whether I’m coming or going.

"I know it’s my fault, but HRI and Paul Finegan probably should not have allowed me to stand at Listowel.

"I’m aware it’s not a great defence, but it is my only defence right now."
Report Punter #1 September 24, 2010 3:19 PM BST
Ruthless bookmaker but still probably a very amateur foolish bookmaker.
Report countychampions September 24, 2010 3:20 PM BST
surely finningan has to get the road now...As peppa said this man is on over 100 k a year..
Report SamuelMorse September 24, 2010 3:22 PM BST
how did he lose 30,000e , sure jimeen told us every bookmaker won .

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report workrider September 24, 2010 3:41 PM BST
Laugh
Report jimeen September 24, 2010 4:33 PM BST
Most people with a semblance of a braincell would have recognised that the comment about most bookmakers winning in Listowel was very much tongue in cheek,its slightly unfortunate that people like Samuel Morse and Workrider didnt see through it.I must apologise to both that i was on a different wavelength,i wasnt aware that somebody with the brain of an amoeba would be posting on this forum.As for my ridiculing robo,again that was just banter between 2 people who know each other well,i certainly wasnt expecting people to be jumping over themselves abusing me for dissing the unemployed.Now my identity is well known to many,it is no great secret whatsoever and this apparent revelation came as a bit of surprise to me.
Finally and this is the real reason i am even bothering to even post is that there is one particular forumite who earlier in the year made reference to the fact that and i quote"there were a few people that shouldnt have been left near a p2p".That was in direct reference to myself and another very prominent layer/punter.Now i have never met this chap in my life and i'm not sure exactly what his grievance is( he has posted a heap of trash on this thread already).When somebody unveiled him at the time he was at pains to distance himself from the person he was purported to be,even though a few posters were adamant they knew who he is.Personally i'm not too pushed what people think of me,but one thing i can say without contradiction and that is nobody can say i ever owed them a fiver,so its slightly galling to be criticised by somebody hiding behind a username,only to find that when his identity is revealed,that its a serial knocker that we are dealing with.
Report SamuelMorse September 24, 2010 4:37 PM BST
he's come out of hiding LaughLaughLaugh
Report robo September 24, 2010 5:04 PM BST
I know jimeen well and twas only a bit of craic.Some looneys on this forum.Job interview LOL
Report peppapig September 24, 2010 5:33 PM BST
Well said jimeen,some keyboard warriors on here,What allduck said that time was awful,easy do when sitting at home..As for wankrider,just an old man who has a chip on his shoulder cause he potless.Some posters on here claim things they are,remember oldbean once claiming to be a bookie,till it was pointed out he was a cashier/barman.
Report workrider September 24, 2010 5:44 PM BST
peppapig , thats something coming from an o'l sow like yourself Laugh
Report kavvie September 24, 2010 6:02 PM BST
strange that peppa..i bet regularly with oldbean and he def a bookie!!...and he would lay you a decent bet ...and whats more he always pays..
Report peppapig September 24, 2010 6:07 PM BST
well if he does,he doing it without a license,cause its not in his name kavvie
Report kavvie September 24, 2010 6:09 PM BST
news to me?..id say its all his..
Report peppapig September 24, 2010 6:10 PM BST
cashier for taxi man..sorry to tell u..
Report kavvie September 24, 2010 6:11 PM BST
the money smells the same to me!!
Report peppapig September 24, 2010 6:14 PM BST
same here kavvie ,but cant win off him,bookies always win
Report workrider September 24, 2010 6:44 PM BST
peppapig , he's either a bookie or he isn't Silly if he is he's doing it hes doing it      without a licence ? same here kavvie , but cant win of him,bookies always win Laugh talk about contradicting yourself ffs.
Report BraveInca2006. September 24, 2010 6:55 PM BST
"I know it’s my fault, but HRI and Paul Finegan probably should not have allowed me to stand at Listowel.

LOL. Like going on a killing spree and blaming the person who sold you the gun!
Report peppapig September 24, 2010 7:22 PM BST
ya workrider.what i saying is he works in a betting shop as a cashier..as my point to kavvie i sometime goes there but cant win in there,bookies always win maybe i should have posted "taxi driver who own betting shop and have barmen working in them always win"...Suppose under this thread bookies dont always winSad
Report kavvie September 24, 2010 7:56 PM BST
well peppa i doubt you are right this time.i got paid enough times by cheque and the only name on it is his.also i often had big bets and its his choice whether he takes them or not.and i often asked him for a price on something and he makes up his mind on the spot.he never had to ask permission from this mythical taxi driver?!?!?..my gut feeling is that hes the boss over the operation..
Report peppapig September 24, 2010 8:45 PM BST
ah maybe kavvie your right,,the taxi driver was probably only talking **** when he was telling me it..Does taxi drivers think they know everything,amazed he claimed to be it though
Report Anaglogs Daughter September 24, 2010 10:15 PM BST
It was a tragedy waiting to happen and better still it's going to happen again, there is still some joes there that dont have a great thank to kick off with, some play it nice and cool but someday someone is going to do it again. Bookmakers should be insured by the HRI, make them pay a bond of 20k before they even step on a track and the ones thats been there as well.
Harsh but fair imo
Report workrider September 24, 2010 10:26 PM BST
many bookies going into tracks with little or nothing in the satchel , have been for years , i know the guy i bankrolled in the 90s often went racing with less than £ 1,000 , he told me if it wasen't for not paying out after the next race him and a few more like him would have had to pack up after the first race , so its nothing new imo . now that the have to pay out right away its catching them out.
Report Anaglogs Daughter September 24, 2010 10:36 PM BST
Its a shame a few bad eggs go to desperate measures. The publicity doesn't do the game much good either. My mum was listening to the Pat Kenny show on Radio Eireann the other morning when it came up about Dixie. I had to try and explain to my mum and her mates i wasn't involved with "that mob". I explained the difference between the track bookmakers and the off course bookmakers and no matter how best i explained it the answer was "they are all one of a kind, whats in the cat is in the kitten" So if PP are laughing their heads off at the tracks prediciment they better think again, because they are all been painted with the same brush unfortunately.
Report thegalwayman September 24, 2010 11:31 PM BST
But workrider, surely if he had a heavy hitter like yourself 'bankrolling' him then funds were not an issue?
Report yummy September 24, 2010 11:38 PM BST
i know a publican who is struggling to pay his monthly direct debit, has to sell the beer first
Report workrider September 24, 2010 11:43 PM BST
tgm , before i bankrolled him .he and many like him went to the races with less than £1,ooo punts as its was then . i'd imagine its still a little like that today .
Report Punter #1 September 25, 2010 1:58 AM BST
Anaglogs Daughter
Paddy Power and **** are crying for a different reason - the proposal of a 2% tax on all winning bets in December's budget which they will have to absorb as most of their competitors operating here won't be affected as they send their profits to tax-free zones. Cheers Pad. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA!!!!!!!!!!
Report Anaglogs Daughter September 25, 2010 11:05 AM BST
I dont think they will be too bother about that when the internet gambling sites ban comes in and then they start charging 5 cent for their freefone, we'll see whos laughing then.
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby September 25, 2010 11:56 AM BST

LOL. Like going on a killing spree and blaming the person who sold you the gun!

Braveinca, thats a terrible analogy. Finegan has a responsability to make sure that the betting rings reputation is upheld.
If the examiner interview is correct, then he was allowed to stand despite the fact he couldnt pay his 4500 fee in full????
Report tocky junior September 25, 2010 1:24 PM BST
Dixie has abt 6k cash at least from the stake money on last fav...if he was that honourable he could surely pay that back
Report Punter #1 September 25, 2010 1:54 PM BST
Anaglogs Daughter
If countries can't prevent sickos loggiing into child porn, how can they stop diseased punters logging into gambling sites?????????????
Report Anaglogs Daughter September 25, 2010 2:56 PM BST
It would be very easy to regulate PP , BOYL,LAD etc online...
Report lustrumm September 25, 2010 7:30 PM BST
The most remarkable thing I find about the whole situation is the amount of coverage it has received in the mainstream media (front page news in Indo on Tuesday)
That is remarkable all things considered and I would love to know who drove that agenda. Was it Majella O Sullivan and if so who put her up to it.

First things first the punters will be paid of that there is no question. If not by the HRI then Listowel will pay but why did Finigen go on live radio to say that there was no way the HRI were culpable.
Whatever it is about human nature and people when they get comfortable in a positon of some power and comfort they seem to lose their senses. Remember Roddy Molloy?
For sure Finigen will look back at this in a few months and wonder how he left it get out of hand.

Secondly how many people that posted on this thread can put their hands on their heart and say they have not lsot control?
Control is the unknown we as punters battle with everyday. I have been to the brink a thousand times. I wish there was another way but I dont know it if there is. Dixie lost the run of himself and he now has to pay the consequences. His excuse is poor but think of the human angle. Behind this is a family and a life ruined.
The keyboard jockleys on here might remember that the next time.

As fat Gary Wiltshire said one night on the Sky dogs when asked what would some punters do if an eights on shot got beat, the shotgun is a real option now
Report Shotgun Willy September 25, 2010 7:49 PM BST
Who is Majella O'Sullivan Lustr??
Report Punter #1 September 25, 2010 7:58 PM BST
I what Tocky Junior says is true that Dixie walked away with £6K, he deserves to be lynched in the media. Overall a crazy thing to do at Listowel when you live in Killarney. Say something ifm it had been Down Royal because those Kerry people are animals!!!!!!!!!![:blusBlushBlushBlushBlushBlush
Report Tolmi September 25, 2010 8:30 PM BST
Maybe I'm missing something.....why will Listowel pay??
Report Jockey Full Of Bourbon September 25, 2010 8:48 PM BST
lustrumm,you claim "Dixie lost the run of himself" but from what i have heard he has put himself in this position more than once and got lucky,his luck was bound to run out eventually
Report lustrumm September 25, 2010 8:56 PM BST
Point I am making is that it should never have gone public that winning punters will not be paid. I have no doubt if it came to it Listowel would make the gesture. It wont but if it did they would honour dixie's bets.
Anyway no punter goes racing thinking that there is a chance they wont be paid. Grand for the likes of us that know the game and indeed I assure you there was not tuppence worth of trade bets that were laid on the Saturday by the above. It was all cash bets to regular race goers. They have to be honoured or the oncourse game is not worth a fig.
Of course the off course books are loving it and it is one small step closer to the end for the betting ring.

Majella O Sullivan is the journalist that broke the story and kept updating it for 3 days forcing it into the mainstream. I'd love to know what her game was
Report Jockey Full Of Bourbon September 25, 2010 9:04 PM BST
i'm sure she will claim to be doing her job
Report countychampions September 25, 2010 11:51 PM BST
lets get things strisght here,,dixie said his dd bounced for 7 months.Paul Finnigan is head of hri,and let this lad work,he must be held as a fault to this and lose his job and ****ed out the door without a nice pension..The like s of Paul finnigan has the country ****ed getting dropped here and there..Now look what happens its like the seanie case but with not as much money...Surly Brian Kavanagh should lose his job as well over this and amount of money he has cost the goverment in levy from Dundalk but then again he getting dropped as well
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby September 25, 2010 11:57 PM BST
Majella O Sullivan is the journalist that broke the story and kept updating it for 3 days forcing it into the mainstream. I'd love to know what her game was

Doing her job. Its obvious enough.
Report Punter #1 September 26, 2010 2:00 AM BST
For all her endeavors, she like everyone couldn't locate the Dixie but one man did - Pat Keane who got all 3 sides in fairness to the guy.Decent tipster but also a decent detective.
Report ballaman68 September 26, 2010 1:58 PM BST
A coulple of things strike me from this situation.
1. Dixie was wrong in what he did, he chased winnings and punters big and small all know how that will ALWAYS end up.

2. All the experienced punters / bookies knew that he was a man on the edge and avoided him and basically knew that it would end in tears.

3. Finnegan allowed Dixie to stand even though he couldnt stump up €500, it would also appear that he SHOULD have known that Dixie was an accident waiting to happen and should have ensured that Dixie was liquid before letting him stand.

I go racing when i can, i enjoy the sport and have a basic understanding of how it all works. To take the original story at face value you would just apportion all the blame at Dixies door (tbf he is the main culprit) but those in authority have failed racing more if the above is true.

Like going on a killing spree and blaming the person who sold you the gun!

to a point im in agreement with this but if the person who sold you the gun knew that you were not fit to own a gun and still sold it to you , surely they would have a responsibility over what follows as well.

TBH noone has come out of this looking good.
Report The Icchantika September 26, 2010 2:06 PM BST
I'm lost now- who is this Noone fellow?
Report ballaman68 September 26, 2010 2:19 PM BST
no one
Report scoobyknows September 26, 2010 2:21 PM BST
!Laugh!
Report lustrumm September 26, 2010 2:45 PM BST
Ballaman sums up it well when he says no one comes out of it looking good. This is a story that should never have gone mainstream. I can see the attraction of it as it another failure in officialdom and another story of people being owed money that they think they will never get.
I am not an apologist for Dixie but I have a certain sympathy for him.
I think what happened is that the HRI felt sorry for him, gave him another chance to get going at the last betting festival of the year and when it backfired on them hung him out to dry.
It was bad enough on its own but to come and not gurantee the punters winning bets is beyond belief.
The right thing to do would to have gone out and taken his computer printout and guarantee all the bets.
At least racing would have come out of the debacle with some credence.
Report The Icchantika September 26, 2010 3:10 PM BST
No money in the HRI budget to cover the punter's bets. They spent it all on fashion ambassadors.
Report GANT007 September 26, 2010 5:44 PM BST
The Icchantika Joined: 18 Jun 08
Replies: 166 26 Sep 10 15:10   
No money in the HRI budget to cover the punter's bets. They spent it all on fashion ambassadors

And all of us back in the day didn't give 2 sh*ts.
Report lustrumm September 26, 2010 8:01 PM BST
The real reason is because they cannot set a precedent. What is to stop the next fellow that is going belly taking 100k out of a shortie and hitting the road as soon as it wins.

the reason it has become to this is mis management of the ring roddy Molloy style.

although he is not the person that should be making it Dixie's point is right about the HRI. they should never have left it get this far.
Report observerirl September 26, 2010 9:56 PM BST
I agreee with the posters who claimed this episode was blown out of all proportion in the media. FFS Dixie is a saint conmpared to some of our more noteworthy defaulters and their allies and compatriots in the building, property development and banking sector. Of course the most pertinent question on this matter is where was the Regulator? Clearly the Financial Regulator and the HRI Regulator went to the same classes, read the same texts and came up with the same stance when it came to anticipating a problem. One other point about this whole mess that has been conveniently overlooked by the bookmaking fraternity is their continous call for BF layers to be licensed.I've always wondered why this argument was pushed by the Trade and what exactly the term licensed represents. Well now we know it means sfa other than licensed to disappear with clients monies. At least the layers on here will always settle their obligations to the backer immediately.
Report workrider September 26, 2010 10:09 PM BST
valid point observerirl , you cant run away here without paying .
Report reluctant September 26, 2010 11:37 PM BST
HRI GAVE HIM A LICENCE TO KNOCK
WHEN THET LET HIM STAND WHEN FEES
WERE NOT PAID IN FULL.
Report barry2 September 26, 2010 11:45 PM BST
whacker gave him the boxes its all his fault
Report countychampions September 28, 2010 1:34 PM BST
u hit the nail on the head barry2...
Report Win only - Sp only September 28, 2010 5:42 PM BST
I blame Paddy Mehan for giving him a board and a computer, was obviously gonna end in tears.
Report tocky junior September 28, 2010 6:37 PM BST
Paddy Meehan and whacker should pay the punters...only men in the ring who get a touch every day!!!
Report -DK- September 28, 2010 10:10 PM BST
"There is a system in place, at every race meeting, for the resolution of disputes between punters and bookmakers. We deal with all such complaints received and I repeat that the record of over 20 years shows that there has never yet been a significant unresolved dispute

paul finnigans quote. if disputes between bookmakers were taken seriously this conversation would not happening. dixie should of been stood down fact but hri are powerless and they deserve all the stick they
Report reluctant October 3, 2010 1:41 AM BST
everyone paid at gowran today
Report limestone lad October 3, 2010 1:45 AM BST
Thats great if true I still feel sorry for him though tough game beingt a bookie on course
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com