Forums

Irish Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Colonel Sanders
11 Mar 08 17:57
| Topic/replies: 251 | Blogger: Colonel Sanders's blog
comes up again and again each year but can someone explain this example to me:

Grand Schlem finishes 2nd to Pigeon Island in a G2 hurdle. Pigeon Island has ran consistently well in some big handicaps, altho fair enough ran poorly today. Carries 11-4 in the Fred Winter (equates to a mark of 127 if I did my sums correctly)

Prince Erik wins a maiden hurdle in the mud after jumping poorly 1st time out over hurdles. Can't get competitive off 113 in a leopardstown handicap hurdle and carries 11-7 (mark of 130 on same basis!)

How the f*ck does this system work? Does Phil Smith handicap the irish horses by taking their Irish mark and asking a child a number between 1 and 20 and add this to their mark?

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 11
By:
workrider
When: 11 Mar 08 18:20
sadly for us the brits have copped on.too many doing it both over there and at home,we all know them, so why should the brits let them get away with it.
By:
hugo o'chavez
When: 11 Mar 08 20:36
The Irish horses have been Martin-proofed
By:
Diamond_Joe_Quimby
When: 11 Mar 08 21:21
its guessing though.... the handicapper should only be able to rate them on their runs, not on his personal "Hunch"
By:
Jockey Full Of Bourbon
When: 11 Mar 08 21:37
the Brits are of the opinion that the Irish ratings are something like 10lbs askew of how they should be rated and they may be right,certainly not too many British runners in our big handicaps over the last few years
By:
monksfield2
When: 14 Mar 08 19:01
As I pointed out on another thread, if you want to compare like with like, you must add 15lbs weight-for-age to the rating shown for Prince Erik at Leopardstown: he was effectively running off 128 there (unless you prefer to use the British WFA scale instead).

Even taking WFA into account, I don't deny that the Irish and British ratings have drifted apart in recent years - Irish down and British up.

Despite this, we will probably have the farce of an "Anglo-Irish classifcation" published in a couple of months time.
By:
BJG
When: 11 Nov 09 16:46
Phil Smith at it again :|
By:
shaggykev
When: 11 Nov 09 17:20
whats he done now?
By:
sinndar001
When: 11 Nov 09 19:03
Imo an attempt by the powers that be to hype up horses like master minded and kauto star and try to sell them as the 'best ever' until the next 'best ever' comes along. How MM is rated above Moscow Flyer is beyond me.
By:
zilzal1
When: 11 Nov 09 19:09
Yes im puzzled about this as i was living abroad for a few years. Someone told me that Denmans mark in the hennessey was 10lb higher than before-what changed.

havent followed the jumps that closely for a few years now
By:
downallstar
When: 13 Nov 09 21:15
Just reading Cheltenham 2moro.... Vinnie's Friend in the last, won of 86 lto, given 11lbs by Noel, Phil Smith reckoned he deserved 23lbs for beating a poor horse of Oliver Brady's who hasn't won in 2 1/2yrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a clown!
By:
sinndar001
When: 14 Nov 09 13:22
Down would it not be that Vinnies would not have been running off 86 if the wexford race was in england.
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com