Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
skiptoomaloumacari
19 Feb 24 09:53
| Topic/replies: 2,106 | Blogger: skiptoomaloumacari's blog
The problem is the programme book....not enough educational races in the country especially for chasers.......there is absolutely no way a horse should be making it's chase debut in a handicap.......but we see it every day ........ everything about racing in this country is rushed.......give horses time....in the race and at home to develope..... it's what they do in Ireland.....and they don't seem to be doing to bad...
Pause Switch to Standard View Pace of races destroying British...
Show More
Report GEORGE.B February 19, 2024 10:13 AM GMT
What the article failed to mention, and I know one of the two races referred to was a hurdles race, is that if they make the fences easier to jump / brush through, then yes, they will go quicker.
Report CROPSICK February 19, 2024 10:26 AM GMT
Havent read the article George but what i see in racing today is, its all about getting the horse settled and 'getting a lead' gone are the days of the Tied Cottages tearing off or Peter Scudamore going 30l clear catch me if you can tactics, they all seem to be robotic and ride the same race no matter.
Report differentdrum February 19, 2024 10:36 AM GMT
In novice races in Ireland invariably those at the head of the market go forward. I would far sooner see that than the likes of Skelton, and O'Brien runners dropped out the back. The horse that won the Ascot bumper for Fry got away with an 'educational ride' as it was so much better than the rest. Plenty of times that won't happen, and the jock will look a complete mug holding one up in a slowly run race. Slowly run races are the last thing punters need. There are enough obstacles to winning as it is. Fry's sponsored by a bookmaker, and Coleman not exactly known for going forwards either.
Report formoftheace February 19, 2024 10:38 AM GMT
Probably because most can’t dictate the pace…..flat out or nothing…
Report strontium February 19, 2024 1:13 PM GMT
Naively, I would favour horses having to run in three novice chases before they can run in a handicap (and indeed they have to do that before they can run in a listed or graded handicap). But I suppose it would just end up like novice/beginners races in Ireland where 80%+ of the field is never put in the race.

As for what else happens in Ireland, the jockeys seem to let the Mullins favourite set its own pace and respectfully sit back hoping something will happen (Tullyhill being a very recent example). Generally the others won't be good enough to beat the Mullins horse, but they don't seem to do themselves any favours tactically by letting Townend (& formerly Walsh) do exactly what they want in the race.
Report dambuster February 19, 2024 4:31 PM GMT
Make fences easier and easier to jump, horses will go faster and faster.
Make them tougher, a horse will takes its time and treat them with a lot more respect.
If we stopped pandering to the 0.01% Woke generation  and ignored them, things would be better in all walks of life
Report 1st time poster February 19, 2024 4:58 PM GMT
letting horses kill themselves for betting purposes the latest anti woke attack line
got to love the **** on here,we managed to get to 4,31 on a monday before someone trotted  THE WOKE line out
Report dambuster February 19, 2024 5:41 PM GMT
4.31, not bad imo
Report Somerset Sam February 21, 2024 4:11 PM GMT

Feb 19, 2024 -- 1:13PM, strontium wrote:

Naively, I would favour horses having to run in three novice chases before they can run in a handicap (and indeed they have to do that before they can run in a listed or graded handicap). But I suppose it would just end up like novice/beginners races in Ireland where 80%+ of the field is never put in the race.As for what else happens in Ireland, the jockeys seem to let the Mullins favourite set its own pace and respectfully sit back hoping something will happen (Tullyhill being a very recent example). Generally the others won't be good enough to beat the Mullins horse, but they don't seem to do themselves any favours tactically by letting Townend (& formerly Walsh) do exactly what they want in the race.

Catch 22 I suppose as if you run on your merits as an outsider in a maiden hurdle race you can be sure the handicapper will notice when it comes time to be allocated your handicap mark.

Triers to the front right enough.

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com