Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
StillLearning
04 Aug 22 13:23
| Topic/replies: 12,562 | Blogger: StillLearning's blog
can anyone enlighten me?
Pause Switch to Standard View whats this racing league b**locks?
Show More
Report acey deucy August 4, 2022 1:31 PM BST
Next big thing !!
Report barstool August 4, 2022 1:53 PM BST
You have to look at the team names and colours.

Then you select a team to support.

Wear clothes of the same colour or even better by a scarf and rosette.

Go along to the track, shout for your team and cheer them into the winning enclosure.

They are doing this at six courses so you can follow your team all over country.
Report the dealer August 4, 2022 1:57 PM BST
Ignoring all the crap around it, the racing is pretty competitive and the prize money for the grade of racing is really good.
If you can ignore all the hullabaloo it is alright imhon
Report Gordon63 August 4, 2022 2:00 PM BST
but therein lies the problem - we'd love to ignore the manufactured hullabaloo and welcome the better prize money at this level, however the sideshow will detract from the product which is symptomatic of the BHA leadership (sic) of the industry
Report mitolo August 4, 2022 2:05 PM BST
no wagon gives a fig about prize money. aw 12 runner hcaps a lousy betting medium.

only good thing is they are all trying
Report the dealer August 4, 2022 2:08 PM BST
What does "no wagon gives a fig about prize money " mean ??

Never new Doncaster wax all weather
Report CagliariG August 4, 2022 2:09 PM BST
Laugh
Report mitolo August 4, 2022 2:16 PM BST
knew.

they are not interested.

didnt even look at it, assumed it was aw. was it not last time? i dunno or care.
Report the dealer August 4, 2022 2:30 PM BST
Who is the they, that are not interested?

I'm not digging you up about the spelling, I honestly don't know what point you are making
Report MJK August 4, 2022 2:38 PM BST
How much is Chapman being paid by the organisers to continually talk about it?
Report the dealer August 4, 2022 2:42 PM BST
It's on their channel, so I would guess the channel is telling him to plug it at every opportunity
Report barstool August 4, 2022 2:46 PM BST
Might have to watch with the sound off if the commentator gets into the team naming mode.
Report slickster August 4, 2022 3:55 PM BST
All live on itv4 all 7 races handicaps. This is disgusting rubbish only fit for the sheep who listen to the plugging of this nonsense. For mugs only.
Report onlooker August 4, 2022 4:15 PM BST
You don't even need to watch it - barstool

The Betting Market movements on here - tell you what is leading ... and what has already fallen out of the back of the Telly.
Report acey deucy August 4, 2022 4:25 PM BST
I would rather watch Hollyoaks and i fakin hate Hollyoaks.Plain
Report differentdrum August 4, 2022 4:30 PM BST
You could perhaps defend it by saying that it is no worse than 99% of the rubbish served up day in day out. This is always one of the worst weeks of the season - and there are many bad ones - with the Saturday 'highlight' the Shergar Cup. Sadly, there are still people desperate enough to bet on it, so it will inevitably continue unchecked. Who really wants to spend hours looking at races where it comes down to which horse got out of bed the right side, or which jock didn't mess up. Personally, I have just spent the week trying to nick a few quid on the athletics. Not many bookmakers keen to price up - I wonder why?
Report acey deucy August 4, 2022 4:32 PM BST
I will always defend The Shergar Cup  we get to see the worlds best jockeys at times....What's not to like?
Report differentdrum August 4, 2022 4:35 PM BST
'World's best jockeys'? Hasn't Hayley Turner won it a couple of times?
Report acey deucy August 4, 2022 4:36 PM BST
You can say that but we have seen some proper Legends in the past.
Report Cutter27 August 4, 2022 4:40 PM BST
A gimmick, meknows, for all forlorn betting idiots.
Report acey deucy August 4, 2022 4:41 PM BST
Gets a lot of stick from the Mugs.Cool
Report Cutter27 August 4, 2022 4:42 PM BST
Acey, you must be reaching a ripe old age now, lad.
Report acey deucy August 4, 2022 4:43 PM BST
Over ripe mate.Sad
Report Cutter27 August 4, 2022 4:46 PM BST
I remember you posting back in the early 2000's but forget whether it was hunt or flat or both?
Report acey deucy August 4, 2022 4:48 PM BST
Yes time i got offa here cutter.Laugh
Report CagliariG August 4, 2022 4:50 PM BST
No big fan but valuable 0-90s as opposed to class 6 single figure fields? And for acey,the jockeys riding out for the places has to be a bonus!!?
Report Cutter27 August 4, 2022 4:50 PM BST
I used to post all the time, and I was addicted back in the early century, but I now visit without regularity and it's like seeing an old bird and thinking, 'What the f...!'
Report the dealer August 4, 2022 4:51 PM BST
It has to be full of the most negative people in the UK, the level of moaning everyday is off the scale.
Report Cutter27 August 4, 2022 4:52 PM BST

Aug 4, 2022 -- 4:51PM, the dealer wrote:

It has to be full of the most negative people in the UK, the level of moaning everyday is off the scale.

Says one who is complaining, whining, whinging, crying, spitting the dummy!

Report the dealer August 4, 2022 4:53 PM BST
I get it, I'm your go to tonight, no worries keep them coming
Report Cutter27 August 4, 2022 4:56 PM BST
Not into coming on you.
Report the dealer August 4, 2022 4:58 PM BST
Lowering the tone a bit after only a few posts
Report Cutter27 August 4, 2022 5:02 PM BST
Spanking one as soft as you in the brain is not difficult or lengthy, peabean.
Report the dealer August 4, 2022 5:03 PM BST
Vicious
Report CagliariG August 4, 2022 5:06 PM BST
Sounds like Gaylord and Fraudy imvho!!Shocked
Report Cutter27 August 4, 2022 5:06 PM BST
Dealer is spentgay, who hunted all his life for a lover and only found his hand and wrist, the poortwat.
Report CagliariG August 4, 2022 5:09 PM BST
He meets Palm regularly rumours say?
Report the dealer August 4, 2022 5:09 PM BST
They just get better
Report Cutter27 August 4, 2022 5:10 PM BST
He did try with two hands, but had to settle for two little fingers.
Report the dealer August 4, 2022 5:13 PM BST
Must take a while to think them up
Report Cutter27 August 4, 2022 5:15 PM BST
On the contrary, wisdom is instinct with me.
Report the dealer August 4, 2022 5:16 PM BST
Time is precious to me, so until the next time ...
Report Cutter27 August 4, 2022 5:19 PM BST
Do I want to see a bald and decrepit old man next time?
Report the dealer August 4, 2022 5:22 PM BST
If you do it's not me !!!!

Definitely off now
Report Cutter27 August 4, 2022 5:23 PM BST
Toodle pip, Baldy.
Report Daryl Revok August 4, 2022 5:51 PM BST
They've learnt from last year, simplifying the teams and not trying to compete with the Ebor meeting (I reckon they would have had at least one race with less than 7 runners if they had). Also it looks like ARC aren't allowed to over water at the moment Happy. The prize money is good.

Still don't see it holding any great appeal, though. And the possibility of Chapman's team winning means I'll have to watch on BFLV.
Report elise August 4, 2022 5:54 PM BST
you have to admire enzo for his enthusiasm, if someone gave him a poo with glitter on he'd sound excited, does make the effort that man
Report dpf August 4, 2022 6:10 PM BST
I’ve been informed by a friend at Doncaster that there’s not many people there.
Report basilbrush August 4, 2022 6:17 PM BST
Racing League = Total nonsense, and the constant verbals is even worse.
Report truehoncho August 4, 2022 7:22 PM BST
Racing League = Total nonsense, and the constant verbals is even worse.  ---  It has turned out that way, everything is so amateur. Racing in teams if did properly could be better and even a good betting opportunity. Unfortunately the clowns running the show are clueless and we end up with this crass crap.
Report onlooker August 4, 2022 7:59 PM BST
Only just put ITV on - in order to see the Mattice Photo Re-Run etc.

Who is the giddy girl in the Red Leggings/Pants and Green Coat ?

- interviewing jockey David Allan, as if he has just scored the Winning goal in the Cup Final  Cry
Report elise August 4, 2022 8:03 PM BST
i think jaime looks a bit like maureen lipman
Report onlooker August 4, 2022 8:13 PM BST
The 'jokes'/childish jibes (choose your own definition) - appear to be far more important than the racing.
Report GEORGE.B August 4, 2022 8:19 PM BST
equine bingo
Report blackbarn August 4, 2022 8:21 PM BST
I agree with Honcho and Basil (Blimey!!!) This is nonsense, and is merely tinkering at the edges at its worst.
Report elise August 4, 2022 8:22 PM BST
i don't imagine for a second seasoned racing fans are the target market
Report truehoncho August 4, 2022 8:29 PM BST
Its just crass. Plenty of problems for racing and this is just a waste of an opportunity to get good racing and publicity for the sport on TV midweek. Its a shame really.
Report west zai August 4, 2022 8:32 PM BST
Bookmaker friendly card. Staying well away from it.
Report barstool August 4, 2022 8:40 PM BST
What is wrong with just plain coloured shirts?

They look like they have borrowed these from the Premier League.
Report elise August 4, 2022 8:41 PM BST
the similarities with it's a knockout are there, aside from ze germans we're only missing stuart hall and he's prob confined to his house after 7pm
Report elise August 4, 2022 8:42 PM BST
enzo is playing a blinder, he should get a job in pr for the tories
Report truehoncho August 4, 2022 8:47 PM BST
Yes, playing their jokers in every sense Elise.
Report roggrain August 4, 2022 8:52 PM BST
Although I was very sceptical about this, watching tonight has changed my mind. It appears that all

jockeys are trying. The runners aren't there to get a lower OR. Refreshing considering that most

handicaps contain at least half the field of non-tryers
Report elise August 4, 2022 8:53 PM BST
What is wrong with just plain coloured shirts?

They look like they have borrowed these from the Premier League.

and there's your killer question, answer that and you'll have your answer as to what they are trying to do
Report truehoncho August 4, 2022 8:57 PM BST
The premier league for fifty quid!!! It was dreadful.
Report elise August 4, 2022 9:03 PM BST
i didn't think the racing was that bad, agree with rog, was fine for in running, the itv stuff you can just ignore if it's not your thing, they should see how it plays out
Report truehoncho August 4, 2022 9:08 PM BST
Any racing with enough prize money can be made competitive. The Sunday series shows that (and its a good initiative). This is dreadful and is no advertisement for the sport. Its childish and complete waste of an opportunity. I'm not against some some of team competition but it needs to be professional and based on promoting the sport. What ever this was it wasn't a good promotion for the sport.
Report elise August 4, 2022 9:15 PM BST
it's one meeting not racing as a whole, they are trying to attract a different demographic
Report the dealer August 4, 2022 9:17 PM BST

Aug 4, 2022 -- 9:15PM, elise wrote:

it's one meeting not racing as a whole, they are trying to attract a different demographic

100% agree and with your comments above.

Report truehoncho August 4, 2022 9:20 PM BST
Well Elise, this was almost prime time telly. I'm not sure what the demographic was that they were trying to attract, but they would have had to be the type that still like watching Tom and Jerry. Its not one meeting, this is going on for a few weeks and I doubt many that watched will be urging their friends to tune in next time.
Report elise August 4, 2022 9:24 PM BST
many of our demographic, i agree, but the 20 something football boom merchants in the pub who can't read form?
Report truehoncho August 4, 2022 9:35 PM BST
I agree with that. There is an opportunity to attract casual interest in racing and maybe thats what they are after. It seems to me with all the issues around attendance and small fields the amount of money they re putting i to this could be better utilised. Its mental they had 3 evening meetings tonight. Surely they should have just had Donny and a far better version of what we had. Team racing could be good for all of us. More competitive racing, lots of opportunity for betting shop punters, high profile races for owners etc. This attempt at it won't do too many much good,
Report G Hall August 4, 2022 11:15 PM BST
It's basically a bookies benefit. The Golden Goose is almost extinct, very little of it left,fleeced by the bookies, and greedy or/and corrupt or incompetent racing bodies.

S De Souza intimated as much in his interview today,about his move to Hong Kong, BETTER prize money, which inevitably leads to better racing,better horses and British racing is getting left behind unfortunately.
Report Manoleeds August 5, 2022 7:05 AM BST
Cheap to get in https://www.arenaracingcompany.co.uk/TheSun "Get in on all the action with the Family Package, which includes 2 adult tickets and admission for up to 6 children, for just £9.50! This package must be purchased is 48 hrs in advance of Racing League fixtures. "

Didn't see many supporters dressed in their team colours last night.
Report steerforth August 5, 2022 10:06 AM BST
70 odd posts in and no-one has really nailed the problem here. This nonsense will not sell horse racing in the way that lights a fire in a certain mindset. Today's diehard racing audience was forged in the mid to late 20th century when there was no fanfare, no pictures and no "manufactured fun". It was always about the secrecy. The ducking and diving and the characters. The intrigue of reading between the lines to win a few quid. It's the darkness and the danger that sold racing to the masses. Working out what's off, and why today. Or tracking a horse for a target and being proved right. And it was absolutely bloody wonderful.
A 0-90 handicap with "points" to play for  in team shirts, is anathema to the essence of racing's appeal.
Unfortunately, it's gone for ever. When will the market men get it?
Report the dealer August 5, 2022 10:50 AM BST
I remember similar comments regarding concert nights, ladies days, student days etc they will never be accepted by racing purists but they bring in much needed income. The golden generation of punters is going and won't be replaced,
The betfair forum with a hard core of serious punters will never accept such radical change
Report spyker August 5, 2022 11:17 AM BST
didnt even look at it, assumed it was aw

This elegantly sums up this thread - minds made up beforehand, doesn't matter what is tried the responses will be the same and utterly brain dead - how long has thee been an aw track at Donny? Of course what racing needs is to attract old farts that still think it's the 1960's when even though everything was crappier those rose tinted specs kick in. As has been said competitive ew handicaps where most are trying their best for decent prize money in a format to try to attract new people, ignore the league stuff and just concentrate on the racing , is it really that hard?
Report howard August 5, 2022 12:02 PM BST
I think they should just have team colour caps. Let the silks be in the normal colours. Helps to recognise the horses even for new viewers when they race again.
Report Gordon63 August 5, 2022 1:52 PM BST
the dealer - don't dispute the 'short term' gain of music nights, ladies days etc BUT this is the route greyhound tracks went down and we all know where the 'six for' led
some of the 'golden generation' are still around and going racing far and near just as often as before, but carefully avoiding all the gimmicks and crazy summer saturdays

spkyer - yes my mind made up beforehand, you don't need to put your hand in a fire to know that it burns, anything with chapman and his like heavily involved is always going to be an ego trip and a pantomime and it's a crying shame the money and airtime (somehow found!) weren't directed to expanding the sky sunday series for example, which provides decent prize money for the grade, larger fields and competitive racing (I went to Musselburgh twice and Hamilton once for their days and very enjoyable although nowhere near a winner at Hamilton!)

racing is going down a one way street, it has fallen foul of marketing people who are always looking for a new edge or trend, all they actually need to do is provide value for money in respect of admission prices, facilities and particularly concession stands which are a rip off of epic proportions AND most important of all, decent cards with a spread of quality and distances etc far too many cards are dominated by Class 5/6 sprint handicaps

i think the poster you quoted has issues
Report penzance August 5, 2022 1:54 PM BST
Nothing wrong with that racing last night.
Report StillLearning August 5, 2022 4:32 PM BST
First Liv golf now this...there will be a breakaway horse racing league next
Report De_man August 5, 2022 5:12 PM BST
Just keep.Leona on the air lol
Report longbridge August 5, 2022 7:37 PM BST
@steerforth

"Today's diehard racing audience was forged in the mid to late 20th century when there was no fanfare, no pictures and no "manufactured fun"...A 0-90 handicap with "points" to play for  in team shirts, is anathema to the essence of racing's appeal."

That's the whole point surely?  Racing's appeal came when it was the only legal thing to bet on (yes, I know 1980s bookies took football bets, ish, but) so there was an incentive to learn it.  Given that pretty much every male in the case country "knows" football and the bookies offer betting on it, why would an 18yo learn an alien sport just to get a bet on?

The Romans went wild for chariot racing; they did not follow form or study pace, they supported the Reds or Greens or Blues or Whites - why not see if we can get a young audience to do the same for Flat racing?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com