Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
roggrain
01 Aug 22 20:54
| Topic/replies: 4,004 | Blogger: roggrain's blog
Last at Carlisle. 5 horses loaded wearing blindfolds. Two of them missed the break completely while their jockeys

fumbled the removal.

If a horse won't load without a blindfold send it back to the trainer and tell him/her to do something about it.

At least insist on the removal before the starter presses the button.
Pause Switch to Standard View The BHA MUST do something about this.
Show More
Report leif August 1, 2022 8:55 PM BST
Should be classed as non-runners really.

Flying pursuit had no chance - came out blind-folded for a few strides.
Report penzance August 1, 2022 9:00 PM BST
Might be totally wrong here but don't the starter shout
'Blindfolds' just before letting 'em go?
Report roggrain August 1, 2022 9:01 PM BST
Exactly, leif. That horse ran part of the race wearing undisclosed headgear. It should be disqualified

if finishing in the money and all bets voided.

Also there is an integrity issue . I'm not suggesting that it was the case in the Carlisle race,

but what a perfect way to throw a race.
Report roggrain August 1, 2022 9:02 PM BST
Even if he does, Penzance, he shouldn't start the race until all blindfolds are off in my view.
Report roggrain August 1, 2022 9:04 PM BST
Can anyone think of any other racing jurisdiction in the World where runners are loaded wearing

blindfolds. other than possibly Ireland ?
Report Rico-Dangleflaps August 1, 2022 9:06 PM BST
plank walkers?
Report leif August 1, 2022 9:13 PM BST
been tumblin down the handicap, admittedly it's an 8yr old now.
Be handy if they dropped it a couple of pounds more after this dismal Mischief effort.
Report impossible123 August 1, 2022 9:27 PM BST
A vet was astounded horses wore redhoods going down to the start during the heatwave. The headgear would make the horse feel even hotter, and more likely stressed too.
Report breadnbutter August 2, 2022 1:50 AM BST
Why can't they run blindfolded?

Would prob be easier to steer and only need to be mildly whipped.

Obviously no use over jumps, hurdles perhaps, jockey could shout 1-2-3 jump, but wouldn't trust it in a  chases.
Report knuckles August 2, 2022 2:16 AM BST
Can’t see that working most Jockeys are unable to count to 3
Report leif August 2, 2022 9:16 AM BST
Report Manoleeds August 2, 2022 12:33 PM BST
Not just blindfolds but horses which "need" to be loaded last . If they don't like being in  the stalls , then they need to be trained to accept it and if they still can't hack it then they can't run.
Report formoftheace August 2, 2022 12:38 PM BST
It’s thick uk what do you expect ? Sense
Report onlooker August 2, 2022 6:01 PM BST
Probably one of the most Sensible Threads started on here in years.

I entirely agree with the OP's remarks ... and other sensible suggestions posted.
Report truehoncho August 2, 2022 6:54 PM BST
It'll get worse. Letting these horses wear red hoods will only increase fractious horses into the breeding programmes. I think it is allowing trainers to send their 2yo's to the track without proper handling and training at home.
Report sparrow August 2, 2022 7:01 PM BST
Send all the trainers to the USA to learn how to train them to go in the stalls and without blindfolds too.
Report unbiased August 2, 2022 7:12 PM BST
I fail to understand how some horses are allowed to be loaded by stable staff,as opposed to the professional stalls handlers,who are continually bigged up as being the best.Yes,we know some horses can be a total --- at the stalls,but it is the stall handlers job to load not stable staff.
Also the loading process,in many cases,needs a hurry-up,as too many easy loaders are often left in the stalls for what seems an age.Jockeys often sit so far away from the stalls which is wrong,and not the practice in other racing lands.Sometimes it is painful to watch,and you think why aren't they getting on with it quicker,and load two at a time,like 1,7  2,8 etc.
Report roggrain August 2, 2022 8:50 PM BST
Wider stalls would help much like the American stalls. The problem is our race courses don't own

their own stalls (with the odd exception such as York which I'll comment on later), so the stalls have

to be transported all over our narrow roads and so economy is more important than practicality.

York purchased a set of stalls for use in large fields especially in 5/6 furlong races but all

they were interested in was being able to have one set for up to 22 runners. They missed the

opportunity to have wider stalls.
Report roggrain August 2, 2022 8:51 PM BST
Spot on unbiased.
Report roggrain August 2, 2022 8:53 PM BST
I've often wondered what the stewards would do if all trainers in a race requested for their runners

to be loaded last!
Report duncan idaho August 3, 2022 10:21 AM BST
they had one of those in stall cameras at Goodwood (i think) last week and it really struck home how narrow our stalls are
Report onlooker August 5, 2022 3:48 PM BST
Another one today ...

'Blindfold off late and slowly into stride,'

- ended up in a Photo for 3rd.
Report Cutter27 August 5, 2022 3:50 PM BST

Aug 3, 2022 -- 10:21AM, duncan idaho wrote:

they had one of those in stall cameras at Goodwood (i think) last week and it really struck home how narrow our stalls are

Duncan, hello old friend first. Were you a jockey? I never considered you to be one.

Report adamski August 5, 2022 4:26 PM BST
How many jockeys have ever been penalised for the late removal of a blindfold? I don't recall one. They must all be either accidental or unavoidable. The BHA is not fit for purpose.
Report EastLower Gooner August 5, 2022 5:01 PM BST
You could rig something up so when the starter presses his button thingy the blindfolds are automatically removed and then the gates open.

Or more manual make the blindfolds with a Velcro seam on the front and back but connected to the gates so when the gates open they automatically split into two and come off.

But I think this pretty fixable.

I was going to build a prototype for testing but really I can’t be bothered so maybe one of you can get inspired and try it.

Maybe you might money too. Who knows.
Report onlooker August 5, 2022 6:14 PM BST
Have you noticed how - When the Blindfold is put onto the horse's head (by the Stalls Handlers) they then ...

- TUCK the Blindfold INTO the horse's Bridle.

Common sense tells you that some Stalls Handlers will TUCK the Blindfold in TIGHTER than others do - thus making it HARDER to Remove.

- So the Release/Pulling of the Blindfold by the JOCKEY will be more DIFFICULT in some/many Instances than others.

That is EQUINE BINGO.

Why does the Blindfold have to be Tucked in, therefore?

They will say - The horse could shake it's head, and the Blindfold come off, when in the Stalls.

In many instances that will NOT matter (lots of horses when they are IN the Stalls simply stand and wait) - as the Blindfold is primarily to get the Horse to ENTER the Stalls

If a horse were to shake the Blindfold Off - Then simple ...

WITHDRAWN immediately ... and put the Onus back onto the Trainer to get the Horse more Stalls compliant...

Instead of 'ARTIFICIAL Aids'(Blindfolds) that INCONVENIENCE others ...

Obviously - Punters included.
Report The Knight August 5, 2022 10:35 PM BST
Why cannot the starter shout (after all horses loaded) 'Blindfolds Off', wait three to five seconds maximum, and then 'Jockeys - Go'

But the amount of horses playing up at the stalls must be addressed anyway. Among several ways, here are two to be going on with:

1/ Fine the trainer so that they at give their horses more stalls training than they currently receive.

2/ Courses should be made to let horses go down in front of the stands much more. The fashion now is that the horses, with honorable exception of York and one or two others, go straight to post and only go down past the stands when they have to. Not only should the public be seeing the horses go to post more, it would also help to settle down the more fractious horses.

The BHA are useless and are currently more interested in 'It's everyone's turf' - unless, going by  the photo used for the campaign, you are older, male, and white - funnily enough still the largest majority of regular racegoers!
Report onlooker August 6, 2022 2:00 AM BST
Why would - "going down in front of the stands much more" ... "help to settle down the more fractious horses."

When Trainers like Aidan O'Brien - and many others- OFTEN Blatantly ignore the 'Parade Rules' for Big Races - Because, in their opinion - it can be a NEGATIVE and unnecessarily UPSET the horses even more - for no positive purpose whatsoever...
- except allow a few - rapidly dwindling old-time racegoers - to gawp at the horses - even if they actually know what they are actually looking at/for...

I completely fail to see your point.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com