Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ashleigh
21 May 22 14:32
| Topic/replies: 18,554 | Blogger: ashleigh's blog
currently in a Geneva hospital.Sad

hope he gets well soon.
Pause Switch to Standard View Lester Piggott
Show More
Report jimnast May 29, 2022 9:31 AM BST
What a sad day hopefully Epsom will do something nice at the weekend.
Report ladycarla May 29, 2022 9:33 AM BST
RIP- The greatest Sad
Report smirnoff2therescue May 29, 2022 9:36 AM BST
An absolute legend the likes we will never see of again

R.I.P. Lester and thanks for all the great memories you gave us for over 40yrs
Report foxy top May 29, 2022 9:38 AM BST
the ups and downs of racing, you are alive one day and literally dead the next !

RIP to a legend of sport Sad
Report Lance in France May 29, 2022 9:39 AM BST
Without doubt the greatest. Very sad news. RIP
Report thelatarps May 29, 2022 9:39 AM BST
Oh Lord no.
Terrible terrible loss.
Its like everything good about this country is getting lost.

RIP The Longfellow.
Report acey deucy May 29, 2022 9:39 AM BST
I only had a few rides as an apprentice but the biggest thrill of my whole life bar none was when i was drawn next to Lester at Windsor.I idolised the man....Greatest ever in my book,thank's for the memories Lester i have a tear in my eye Today... R.I.P Sad
Report tracksuitdave May 29, 2022 9:44 AM BST
R.I.P    The best there was and will ever be  imo
Report ashleigh May 29, 2022 9:44 AM BST
never be another Lester.

11 times champion jockey
a record 30 british classics 
a record 9 derby wins
116 royal ascot wins
first winner aged 12
last winner aged 58

as a 11 year old, got hooked on racing watching Lester on Nijinsky, poetry in motion.Sad
Report acey deucy May 29, 2022 9:45 AM BST
Report alun2005 May 29, 2022 10:00 AM BST
Even as a primary school boy, entranced by the wins of Sir Ivor and Nijinsky, I got the impression that Lester was a hell of an operator, although I don't suppose I could have expressed it in such words at the time.

I do remember seeing a TV documentary profile of him though back in those far-off 60s days, seeing him hobnobbing with multi-millionnaires, smoking cigars on a boat in the Med trying to kep his weight down, sipping the odd glass of champers, and thinking that this was a man apart, one who could maybe set his own rules. And that it was what life looked like for a man at the very top of his profession.

My Dad always used to say that Lester 'spoiled' the racing, because his rides (particularly on 2YO's) started a lot shorter than they deserved to be.

If you can get a copy of Roy David's book about Lester then do so. You won't be disappointed. 

RIP Lester.
Report Petraco May 29, 2022 10:02 AM BST
RIP Lester, one of the greatest that ever rode a racehorse.  Plain
Report A_T May 29, 2022 10:04 AM BST
I think was voted second only to Vincent O'Brien in the Post's poll of greatest racing figures of the 20th Century. A remarkable man.
Report jimnast May 29, 2022 10:04 AM BST
Someone ought to let the bbc know.
Report jimnast May 29, 2022 10:08 AM BST
The carrier pigeon must have just arrived
Report SlippyBlue May 29, 2022 10:23 AM BST
That is absolutely awful news to hear, he was without peer all through his career.
Report acey deucy May 29, 2022 10:25 AM BST
Report acey deucy May 29, 2022 10:26 AM BST
Report ashleigh May 29, 2022 10:44 AM BST
how easy, Lester on Shergar in the Irish Derby.
Report sageform May 29, 2022 10:49 AM BST
Very sad news. His daughter Maureen Haggas was just back from Dubai where they had a new granddaughter-great grand for Lester. I first saw him in the flesh at Newmarket around 1965 when he rode a filly for Sir Noel Murless and Jim Joel. It won of course. Three legends of the sport.
Report Gordon63 May 29, 2022 10:49 AM BST
The Greatest - RIP

I grew up and into my love of racing with Red Rum, Vincent, Sir Henry and Lester - truly the end of an era and makes me feel old and nostalgic

particularly the day after 8 meetings in Britain and 2 in Ireland with hardly a decent horse running
Report verbotene liebe May 29, 2022 10:50 AM BST
Report grayhawk May 29, 2022 10:56 AM BST
RIP to the incomparable Lester Piggott.

Simply......THE BEST Sad
Report stewarts rise May 29, 2022 11:06 AM BST
Oh no, had to happen some day i suppose, this is how i found out reading this, quite a shock after reading Ashleighs post last night.
RIP the greatest, simply the best ever, how on earth did he never win the Sports Personality of the year i'll never know.
Report mecca May 29, 2022 11:06 AM BST
Another legend gone, a very sad day for racing.. I remember in the early '80s being on holiday with a few mates, Torquay I think. We were running short of money (I was in my late teens)... someone said that it was Derby Day (I had no interest in racing then) and I remember saying let's have a bet on Whatever Piggott is riding....

Teenoso won the Derby.... and we had a great holiday
Report sparrow May 29, 2022 11:08 AM BST
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/61623271
Report steerforth May 29, 2022 11:10 AM BST
As I've grown older four pillars have risen - constants in my life as symbolic links to glorious youth. The Queen, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan and Lester.
The world is changing now.
Report dambuster May 29, 2022 11:17 AM BST
He's up there now with the Greatest trainer and friend. HC
RIP Lester
Report stewarts rise May 29, 2022 11:18 AM BST
I actually laughed out loud when i read this just!
Piggott's parsimony, which ultimately led to a prison sentence for tax evasion, was the stuff of legend.

Associates would recount the story of a jockeys' valet who whispered in his ear: "Lester, can you lend me five pounds?" Piggott indicated he could not hear, so he whispered in his other ear: "Can you lend me 10 pounds?" to which the jockey replied: "Try the five-pound ear again."
Report stewarty b May 29, 2022 11:20 AM BST
Legend is a word far too overused these days but he was the King in my book. His record speaks for itself. Very sad news. Just wish I had met the man. RIP Sir.

Thanks for that link sparrow.
Report impossible123 May 29, 2022 11:27 AM BST
Sad news. The best jockey ever has died. I thought he was recovering and was due back tomorrow from Switzerland. At least he's no longer in discomfort or pain.

Rest in peace PIGGOTT, and Adios!! Hope we meet some day.
Report Greg_Gory May 29, 2022 11:30 AM BST
The Greatest R.I.P Very Sad News Sad
Report stewarty b May 29, 2022 11:30 AM BST
I hope I get my facts right here but when Lester was basically replaced by Pat Eddery on El Gran Senor in the 84 Derby and was nabbed by Secreto near the line Lester dismounted and went up to Vincent O'Brian and whispered to him.....'Miss me'?! I read that in the Daily Express the next day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEe263QHHjA
Report FrankRA May 29, 2022 11:41 AM BST
Lester never rode El Gran Senor
Report stewarty b May 29, 2022 11:42 AM BST
Lester was basically replaced by Pat Eddery on El Gran Senor
Report tony6499 May 29, 2022 11:42 AM BST
A true legend, RIP
Report Gordon63 May 29, 2022 11:43 AM BST
pat eddery was already the sangster retained jockey at ballydoyle before the el gran senor season
Report Kelly May 29, 2022 11:43 AM BST
Lester was part of the lives of those of us who loved horse racing and having a bet . The greatest ever in terms of assessing horseflesh from on board , and he made fewer mistakes than any other jockey I have ever seen . Always in the right place at the right time , particularly on the tricky courses which required a lot of riding .

Lester and Scobie Breasley dominated racing jockeywise for a decade , completely different styles , but both masters . Vincent used them both to great advantage , and when they teamed up on a good horse you could back them with confidence . The list of great horses associated with Lester is endless , 46 years worth of winners speaks for itself .

Thanks for the memories , RIP Lester .
Report stewarty b May 29, 2022 11:45 AM BST
I know Gordon but the reason he was replaced was because O'Brian didn't like the way he rode out his horses at home. Basically letting the full throttle out to see which was best.
Report penzance May 29, 2022 11:48 AM BST
A Great.
Royal Academy in America,what a ride.
Another old sporting great gone.
RIP
Report Hayden May 29, 2022 12:02 PM BST
Wasn't it the Royal Academy win that prompted that wonderful response when asked after the race when he thought he had the race won , his reply was " three weeks ago "

R.I.P great man   Sad
Report FELTFAIR May 29, 2022 12:03 PM BST
Karabas.
Report brigust1 May 29, 2022 12:04 PM BST
I think that was Sir Ivor.
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl May 29, 2022 12:06 PM BST
RIP Lester. Best ever.
Report stewarty b May 29, 2022 12:09 PM BST
Here's a good Q&A with Lester from the RP.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/lester-piggott/lester-piggott-qa-a-brilliant-interview-with-the-record-breaking-champion/430087
Report Hayden May 29, 2022 12:12 PM BST
Thanks brigust , you're right i think on reflection
Report jimnast May 29, 2022 12:12 PM BST
It was sir Ivor brigust
Report no-won-sun May 29, 2022 12:13 PM BST
Pat Eddery became number one jockey at Coolmore in early 80s, he rode Golden Fleece to win the Epsom derby of 1982. He never replaced Lester Piggott on El Gran Senor as he had first choice at Ballydoyle and as such had first pick. Secreto was ridden by Christy Roche.
Report Duncan Disordorli May 29, 2022 12:15 PM BST
No greater sight than the Piggott backside high, a glance behind before the maestro pressed the button on one you'd backed.
Thought he'd be a huge success as a trainer but sadly not to be. Lester Piggott will never be forgotten by those lucky enough to follow the sport when he dominated. RIP Lester.
Report barstool May 29, 2022 12:18 PM BST
Such sad news to read of this this morning.

He cost me a fortune in 1977 when I had Hot Grove (Derby) coupled with Dunfermline in the Oaks. Only he could have given The Minstrel a ride like that to pip Hot Grove on the line. 5o years on it still irks.

R.I.P
Report impossible123 May 29, 2022 12:19 PM BST
I like his ride on Rodrigo De Triano in the 2000G. He merely sat and sat until it was time to sprint clear. I'd a wager on them after the horse's defeat previously. But, his riding lesson to Cauthen on Commanche Run in the Benson & Hedges Gold Cup was my most memorable.

PIGGOTT will be sorely missed. A legend and an era gone!
Report Hayden May 29, 2022 12:30 PM BST
Of all his classic wins there can be no more impressive combination of horse & jockey than Humble Duty winning the 1970 1,000 guineas..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CwkqubTXos
Report handtorofe May 29, 2022 12:37 PM BST
Met Lester when he rode for me at lingfield simply the best horseman i have ever seen.
Report brigust1 May 29, 2022 1:06 PM BST
^^I saw Humble Duty, ridden by Lester, get beaten at Newbury in the Fred Darling by our horse Highest Hopes, both finishing on the bridle, and we thought she was a good thing for the 1000 Guineas but trailed in last. Humble Duty bolted up and Highest Hopes next won in France and was then beaten by the previously unbeaten Lupe in the Yorkshire Oaks. She reversed that result in the Prix Vermeille before being well beaten in the Champion Stakes. We think she just couldn't handle the straight ten furlongs at Newmarket. Humble Duty was a great filly but we always thought Highest Hopes was better.
Report brigust1 May 29, 2022 1:09 PM BST
In his autobiography Dick Hern wrote:

“The race proved a farce, as the first two, Highest Hopes and Humble Duty, passed the post with their jockeys sitting stock still. Jimmy Lindley on Highest Hopes was perfectly justified, as there was no point in giving the filly a harder race than was necessary to win. Lester Piggott on Humble Duty, who had been champion two-year-old filly of 1969, had the pretext that she was not fully wound up and hated the prevailing heavy ground. When Lester decided to ride a horse with forbearance there were no half measures".
Report Try My Best May 29, 2022 1:09 PM BST
I think we have all been lucky to live in his era and be able to watch such a genius at work. Imagine riding your first winner at 12 years old, truly remarkable. A very sad day for his family & friends and all racing fans. I really hope that Epsom pay a fitting tribute to the greatest this week.
Report pablo-fanque May 29, 2022 1:17 PM BST
R.I.P.

amazing jockey . he had a great life
Report CROPSICK May 29, 2022 1:29 PM BST
What a lovely picture of Lester and his father in the article by John Randall on the RP website.
Report N-east Correspondent May 29, 2022 1:38 PM BST
Think its all been said a remarkable jockey and man who went against the norm and ruffled lots of feathers but everybody still admired and looked up to him.

Remember being at Ayr in early 80s they used to have an early season flat meeting like the Monday after Doncaster, a friend and I (who sadly passed away 5yrs ago)
were there so between races went to the on-course betting shop to listen to a commentary from Leicester, Piggott was riding that day and the commentator who was
relaying the usual nonsense they came away with back then suddenly comes out with a "Lester Piggott on {insert horses name} is making rapid headway the whole office
to a man was on it including us, "cmon the pigg", "not too far Lester" were the cries, huge cheer as it was called the winner, same next race and almost a treble.
He was revered by punters who knew he was a winner and would at least give them a run for their money.

We will not see his likes again - RIP LESTER
Report ashleigh May 29, 2022 1:40 PM BST
good to see the french jockeys wearing black armbands in tribute to Lester.
Report impossible123 May 29, 2022 1:40 PM BST
I wonder if he told anyone which of The Derby runner he'd ride this year. Anyone?
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk May 29, 2022 1:54 PM BST
I remember a great thread on here if not the best called "Piggott Stories"
So many replies and tales but was pulled for some reason
Should have been a sticky at the the top of the forum

Rest in peace Lester.
Report duffy May 29, 2022 1:55 PM BST
RIP Lester, never forget Royal Academy and the American comms that day was just brilliant.
Report Wesdag May 29, 2022 1:57 PM BST
From a time when top jockeys were household names.
Report sparrow May 29, 2022 1:58 PM BST
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2022/may/29/lester-piggott-a-life-in-pictures

Lester Piggott – a life in pictures
Report BARROWBOY May 29, 2022 2:03 PM BST
What a jockey,simply the best,probably the main reason many got involved in the sport.I really hope he gets the last laugh & has made arrangements so the tax man doesn’t get his hands on his dough.
Report DonegalPrince May 29, 2022 2:22 PM BST
one suspects that may be part of the reason for Switzerland barrowboy
Report happysandwich May 29, 2022 2:31 PM BST
barrowboy,

He settled with the Inland Revenue with a cheque from the bank account they were looking for.

Perhaps he'll have the last laugh and the cheque bounces.Laugh

Missed out on a knighthood.Sad
Report halcyon days May 29, 2022 2:44 PM BST
R I P Lester.

There's a wonderful video on Youtube.. Robert Sangster, Willie Carson, Richard Quinn with some amusing tales of the man's ruthlessness to win, and his legendary meanness !
Report halcyon days May 29, 2022 2:45 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Se0kMospmc&ab_channel=ReveryStables

Enjoy.
Report halcyon days May 29, 2022 2:46 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Se0kMospmc&ab_channel=ReveryStables
Report breadnbutter May 29, 2022 3:13 PM BST
Thought he came over as shy, very reserved, his greatness masked, Often and deservedly giving the praise to his mounts.

Rodrigo de Triano was a big one for me but tbh I never thought much of the ride at the time but every time I watch it now I marvel.

Lester had the perfect mix, a very cool customer indeed.

Born in 1935,he had a fair innings to say the least , lived like a king  although must of kept off the drink and tobacco or been really lucky.

What a character, a legend.

Respect.

https://youtu.be/B-ey-wdS7XI
Report pumphol. May 29, 2022 3:27 PM BST
There was an aura around LP, a man of few words yet it always seemed you were in the presence of greatness, I cant think of anyone in recent years in sport that comes close to that.
Report xmoneyx May 29, 2022 3:45 PM BST
how he kept weight off , deserves a knighthood
Report Gordon63 May 29, 2022 4:28 PM BST
There was an aura around LP, a man of few words yet it always seemed you were in the presence of greatness, I cant think of anyone in recent years in sport that comes close to that.

MJ23 was same mentality, same dominance - if only there were a Lester equivalent of the wonderful 'Last Dance'
Report BARROWBOY May 29, 2022 7:40 PM BST
His riding when it mattered in the big races was phenomenal,when he won the 1000 g on fairy footsteps in 1981 no other jockey would have got her home in front he virtually carried her home.having backed her at big odds before the nell gwyn it paid for my first house.thanks for the memories ,lester
Report BARROWBOY May 29, 2022 7:49 PM BST
Just for the record that race was only a week or so after his ear was ripped off in a stalls accident& was touch &go whether he’d be able to ride.
Report MJK May 29, 2022 8:45 PM BST
When visiting the folks this morning I mentioned to my dad that Lester had died (they're the same age). As I was saying this a piece about him came on the news and the guy mentioned the time Lester spent in prison. My dad shook his head and said 'the man is dead there was no need to say that'. Reflecting on this it reiterated my opinion of what a wonderful generation of people this age group are/we're, wherever they come from.
Report sickoflayinwinners May 29, 2022 9:00 PM BST
i remember him riding john cherry , probably for jeremy tree.
Report ribero1 May 29, 2022 9:33 PM BST
Yes it was Jeremy Tree, the" 2 weeks ago" quote was Karabas after the American press had criticised him the previous year over his winning ride on Sir Ivor.
Report ali1959 May 29, 2022 10:20 PM BST
John Cherry for Jeremy Tree, won the Chester Cup in 1976, under top weight with Lester riding, from what I remember, sickoflayinwinners.
Report Facts May 30, 2022 6:55 AM BST
Great thread, some lovely memories and tributes.
Can't help wondering though, if this  forum had been around in Piggot's day, I bet there would be the usual armchair riders giving vent to his rubbish rides !! Laugh
Report ribero1 May 30, 2022 8:08 AM BST
I was at Leicester the day he came back,I had to go back to the car for something and my mind was elsewhere for a minute as I approached the entrance when suddenly there was a cacophony of noise of cameras clicking and of course it was Lester walking in,I'm guessing every newspaper sent a photographer that day,spine tingling and it certainly woke me up on a bleak Autumn monday morning.
Report HistoricWarwick May 30, 2022 9:31 AM BST
A life lived on champagne & cigars - R.I.P. to a man made of the right stuff.
Report geoff m May 30, 2022 11:35 AM BST
Legend is a very over used word. However not where Lesters concerned.
A true sporting great.
RIP .Lester.
Report LoyalHoncho May 30, 2022 2:33 PM BST
"The first of his nine Derby triumphs came a month before the end of food rationing".

Incredible man.  Amongst all his brilliance and victories I can never forget him racing the day after his dreadful stalls accident when he was dragged underneath and had his head scraped and his ear half torn off by a frightened horse, with his head wound up in a swathe of white bandage.
Courage is the word often unused about Lester and it is one of the things which set him apart from his contemporaries - in and out of racing.  Jockey need to be brave but Lester had raw courage.
Iron will, courage, ambition and sublime riding ability.  We will never see the like again.
R.I.P. and many, many thanks Lester Keith Piggott.
Report cryptoup May 30, 2022 7:51 PM BST
RIP Lester the greatest was a true horseman and i was lucky to work for him and the family many moons ago
Report sixtwosix May 30, 2022 8:02 PM BST
Watched a few old Derby races today , Teenoso , The Minstrel amongst them. With the extended coverage listening to pre race summary from Lord Oaksey was a breath of fresh air to the underqualified drivel we have nowadays.

His wins on Ardross were always my favourite .....and the one stride defeat to Akiyda in the Arc is still a sad recollection.

I also watched his stand in ride on Shergar in the Irish Derby ....hosed up ....but still a joy to watch.
Report G Hall May 30, 2022 8:09 PM BST
Sixty-six

Watch Lester's ride on Teenoso in the King George 1984, sublime, and it was a top class renewal that year.
Report G Hall May 30, 2022 8:09 PM BST
Ffs predictive sixtwosix
Report G Hall May 30, 2022 8:10 PM BST
Sixtwosix ffs predictive
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! May 30, 2022 9:16 PM BST
Wun 20 jump races including the 1954 Triumph Hurdle
Silly
Report sparrow May 30, 2022 9:21 PM BST
There are hundreds of Lester Piggott stories, some of them true. One that sums up the man better than most concerns a trainer who before a race gave him specific instructions. Piggott was to hold his mount up for as long as he dared, then make a late run and get the horse’s head in front right on the winning post.
Lester’s deafness usually made riding instructions redundant, and when the starting stalls opened he shot the horse into the lead. They were still five lengths clear entering the final furlong, then started to slow down, and were caught on the line.
Incandescent with rage, the trainer rushed into the unsaddling enclosure – where Lester dismounted, slipped the saddle off the horse and said to the trainer: “You were right, you know.”
Report blackbarn May 30, 2022 9:36 PM BST
Sparrow - I think you have two separate stories muddled up there.

ImSoLuckyLucky - Not sure how important the Triumph Hurdle was in 1954. It was run at Hurst Park.
Report sparrow May 30, 2022 10:29 PM BST
blackbarn....I only copied the story from elsewhere so my apologies if this was incorrect.
Report The Knight May 30, 2022 11:05 PM BST
..and from a time when Horse Racing was the dominant sport in the UK in front of football.

How times have changed.
Report Cork Langer May 30, 2022 11:21 PM BST
Lester the legend, the only sportsman to make himself bigger than the sport he was involved with, certainly for the golden years of the 60's to the 80's, at that time every household knew of him or recognised him, no matter what he was doing their would always be inches of newspaper columns devoted to reporting anything and everything about him, be it true or just gossip.
No one could ever dispute his undoubted talent in the saddle, probably not the most popular jockey in the weighing room or the easiest person to communicate with but without doubt one of the very few who could be labelled a legend without any debate ensuing on the subject, may he rest in peace.
Report MJK May 31, 2022 9:05 AM BST
https://youtu.be/PuZDpDrhl3w

Remember being there that day and the crowd cheering fully two furlongs out. Funny hearing a younger Ted Walsh on the replay, virtually unrecognisable voice compared to today.
Report paul1965 May 31, 2022 2:59 PM BST
Can not stand the man after he pulled the 1-3 on the itv 7 after having 6 winners and was a shoe in to win.They could of not paid out and would of had to put me on the Itv 7 board as then it was unlimited win until they changed the rules later on.Think the bookie must of given a back hander  to stop the horse from winning.
Report Reynard June 1, 2022 3:13 PM BST
R.I.P. Legend Sad
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com