Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
brigust1
17 May 22 08:47
| Topic/replies: 12,690 | Blogger: brigust1's blog
I cannot believe it is one year today that one of the greatest jockey's of my lifetime, left us. A tree was planted in his honour at Newbury racecourse just weeks ago and his ashes were recently scattered at his beloved farm. Apart from being a truly great horseman Joe was just the most decent and genuine human being anyone could wish to meet. Gone but certainly not forgotten.
Pause Switch to Standard View Joe Mercer OBE
Show More
Report acey deucy May 17, 2022 8:58 AM BST
Closely followed by his big mate Jimmy Lindley.Sad
Report Andrew.in.Sweden May 17, 2022 9:03 AM BST
Morning Laurie,

His passing was certainly a surprise to many, but nice to read he's commemorated at Newbury.

Without question a very stylish jockey, and you don't ride over 2,800 winners by not being a good one. I can imagine you have many fond memories of him.
Report jimnast May 17, 2022 9:07 AM BST
Great memories of him riding le moss and kris.
Report G Hall May 17, 2022 9:18 AM BST
Mercer, Piggott, Carson, Eddery, Cauthen all household names when I was growing up, my dad used to say back Willie Carson on Saturdays.
Report Life-Lucky May 17, 2022 9:28 AM BST
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+light+cavalry+1979+Ste+Leger&docid=608037541163854944&mid=15D2D2B38E39E869EC9815D2D2B38E39E869EC98&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Joe wins the '79 Leger on Light Cavalry
Report Movewiththetimes May 17, 2022 9:38 AM BST
RIP, before my time but was it true his brother Manny was a better jockey.
Report brigust1 May 17, 2022 9:46 AM BST
Good morning Andrew. Yes, great memories. Among them are when Newmarket gave him an award for winning the Champion Stakes twice, he gave it to me saying I deserved it more than he did. The morning he rang me to tell me they had found Brigadier Gerard's grave at Six Mile Bottom and, more recently, I told him about a close friend and ex stable lad who was suffering from the onset of dementia he told me to bring him round for a coffee. Truly great guy.
Report G Hall May 17, 2022 10:09 AM BST
There was a lovely interview on atr with him a few years back.
Report liberator of the oppressed May 17, 2022 10:34 AM BST
Morning Brig hope you are keeping very well.
Report brigust1 May 17, 2022 11:02 AM BST
Good morning, Loto. I am, thank you.  And I hope you are too.
Report jackboo May 17, 2022 7:45 PM BST
ithink it was 1982/83 he was on a ban and goodwood was on bbc for the frist 2 days he gived every winner , thay told ht not to come tommoro
Report onlooker May 17, 2022 8:23 PM BST
Cannot find the ATR Interview (Mike Cattermole) referred to earlier - which was very good.

Two other Interviews here ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzbR9clrsX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNtcwnk-PTU
----------

Are you - "Buster" -- brigust1 ?
Report brigust1 May 17, 2022 9:44 PM BST
No Onlooker. Buster was our travelling head lad. In the video I am his boy. Buster is the chap in the long mac leading him around at the start of the Eclipse. Buster often rode him at exercise when he was at the races but almost never at home. I rode him until after the Middle Park Stakes where they put Bob Turner on him as he was about two stone heavier than me. I was around 7 stone.

In these videos Joe was getting on by now and sadly often became confused with the past.

The first race he ran in had five runners and three winners. In the gallop before the Guineas the Brigadier never beat Duration he finished about a neck behind him, I was there. Joe said many times previously that he didn't ask him for any more that morning because he didn't want to leave the Guineas on the gallops. Joe indicated in the video that the Brigadier won the gallop before the Guineas hard held but as John Hislop said in his book "With the rain pouring down on us straining through glasses blurred and distorted, watching the horses set off. When we picked them out Duration was in front of the Brigadier. As they neared us Duration was still ahead with the Brigadier right behind him, and thus they passed us". Hislop wrote that in 1973 and that is what happened.
Report brigust1 May 17, 2022 10:13 PM BST
It is really sad to watch Joe in these later interviews because he appears to get confused and muddled especially about specifics a good while ago. It is certainly not how he was at home.
Report onlooker May 17, 2022 10:25 PM BST
Thanks - brigust.

I gave John Hislop's Book - I will read it again sometime

In the meantime - Also having All the Form Books means that I can stroll through his whole career again, too.

What was the race when Joe rode him despite Joe being 'ill/injured' - and the Brigadier still Won.

Joe said afterwards that he - 'would never have ridden that day - but for it being the Brigadier'.

I do have the Eclipse in mind - which, if so - means the Brigadier beat both the dreadful going - And Joe's impairment

Presumably, too - "Bob Elliott" -  was the former Jockey - R P Elliott.
Report onlooker May 17, 2022 10:27 PM BST
^  * I have John Hislop's Book.
Report brigust1 May 17, 2022 11:05 PM BST
Hi Onlooker. The race was the Prince of Wales Stakes. The race was on Tuesday and on Sunday Joe was going to Belgium to ride there. The plane hit overhead cables and crashed. Joe survived and helped others out but the pilot died. Joe id an early morning gallop before racing to ensure he was OK.
Yes Bobby Elliot was supposedly 2nd jockey for a while.
Joe also said in the video that the Brigadier ran twice on soft ground when actually it was 4 times.
Report top2rated May 18, 2022 9:00 AM BST
Link to Attheraces video (Joe Mercer/Mike Cattermole).....

https://www.facebook.com/AtTheRaces/videos/joe-mercer-legend-of-horse-racing...
Report foxy top May 18, 2022 9:23 AM BST
a good thread,

RIP Joe.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com