Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
impossible123
16 May 22 21:54
| Topic/replies: 21,689 | Blogger: impossible123's blog
I think Maddy did very well with the questions on AC, 5-day Cheltenham, BHA, Racing Industry/Bookie/Jockey relationship. I also think the views of Hislop were genuine, thoughtful, truthful and reflected most of those of genuine racing fans and punters. It's interesting and refreshing someone within the industry on a daily basis could feel the same as most genuine racing fans and punters without a voice.

I wonder if the Racing Post would print the interview and their bookie stooges consider professional integrity and honesty their priority than merely jobsworth.
Pause Switch to Standard View Maddy meets Lydia Hislop
Show More
Report Wesdag May 16, 2022 11:06 PM BST
Yes, a good interview.

She's always talks well & worth listening to.
Report Ramruma May 17, 2022 12:33 AM BST
Lydia is also the latest Simon Nott interviewee in Star Sports Betting People series.

Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZy_zKsKaYU

Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPVe0sDmrjA
Report Ramruma May 17, 2022 12:34 AM BST
URL for the Maddy Playle interview with Lydia Hislop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmlaf6J5A40
Report cardifffc May 17, 2022 8:01 AM BST
thought it was good....watched the first star sports one
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 May 17, 2022 9:21 AM BST
I once had the pleasure of knocking her back on a dirty ew bet she wanted. After being told she said she was going to write a piece in the Times about bookies not taking bets, it never happened. What irked her mist was that we had already laid SM the same bet!
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 May 17, 2022 9:22 AM BST
*most   ffs
Report Ramruma May 17, 2022 9:31 AM BST
I dunno. Irked her mist has a nice ring to it, like a euphemism for p.ssed her off, like got her goat. You should carry on using it.
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 May 17, 2022 10:09 AM BST
You may have a point Laugh
Report stewarts rise May 17, 2022 11:41 AM BST
who is this maddy you refer to?
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 May 17, 2022 11:52 AM BST
Maddie Playle - Journalist
Report stewarts rise May 17, 2022 11:54 AM BST
Thanks, haven't heard of her.
Report SlippyBlue May 17, 2022 12:37 PM BST
I think that Lydia Hislop is without doubt the most admirable of all the commentators/ broadcasters/ journalists that the sport offers and has the surefire credibility that many others simply do not offer.

In a nutshell, L.H. is the dogs wotsits.
Report The Management May 17, 2022 12:50 PM BST
She is a nepotism-free area..... and therefore has no right to be working in the industry! Laugh

Top Gal imo.
Report acey deucy May 17, 2022 12:55 PM BST
Yes i am a big fan too slippy.
Report SlippyBlue May 17, 2022 1:02 PM BST
Well I'm in excellent company then as T.M. & Acey are also fans.
Good to know.

Happy
Report acey deucy May 17, 2022 1:05 PM BST
Happy
Report impossible123 May 17, 2022 6:59 PM BST
I'm a big fan of her. Ms Hislop is never pretentious but courteous, and not afraid to ask difficult but necessary questions in a professional capacity for racing fans and punters. No one in the business presently can stand up to her. And, she's not wrapped up in any bookie's blanket either unlike Chamberlin, McCoy, walsh, Chapman, etc ie sponsored by bookies.
Report differentdrum May 17, 2022 7:49 PM BST
I don't think she is any better than the rest so what I am I missing? Please don't mention calling out McCoy because that is many, many years ago. For me a shocking pundit, big ego, glorified cheerleader, and dresses worse than your granny.
Report acey deucy May 17, 2022 10:27 PM BST
She thinks a five day festival would be a disaster.....Wise up Lydia i know you read the forum five days is the way forward,it cant come soon enough for me.ExcitedExcited
Report onlooker May 17, 2022 10:31 PM BST
Have you already Booked your Hotel - Bought your Badges - Purchased your Train Tickets - and kept a few Hundred back for all the other Expenses - acey ? ....

Thought Not.
Report acey deucy May 17, 2022 10:42 PM BST
No brainer in my book although i think six races a day is plenty.
Report impossible123 May 18, 2022 4:25 PM BST
With fewer runners per race eg 4 runners in the last JLT? Horses will be ducking one another given the chance yet could probably earn more in prize money.
Report saxon farm May 18, 2022 8:14 PM BST
differentdrum
What about her grilling of Henderson at Sandown Park 17 months ago after his withdrawal of Altior?
She has more “balls” than any of ‘em concerning the touchy questions.
Also, she is seldom seen as a pundit, but remains a concise presenter.
I find Lydia demure and whatever EGO she possesses is indiscernible.
And a CHEERLEADER for what or whom? 

Oh and I could not give two hoots how she dresses!
Report mitolo May 18, 2022 9:17 PM BST
different dumb a professional malcontent and to be ignored. mslop execellent on rtv, as are most although the most competent seem to be on less frequently. i had no complaint about it until we were given nick lightweight anthony donkey and the fat geezer. and then the hopeless jess harding. much as i dislike nick look and tommy stanley, they are good at what we want them to do, namely pass on info without irritating the viewer.

amusing thing about lids is her long-standing membership of the wrp.
Report SlippyBlue May 19, 2022 7:18 AM BST
The ayes have it.

Grin
Report sageform May 19, 2022 9:18 AM BST
Very good on balance. I was surprised to learn that she is chairman of the pattern committee. It does demonstrate that the BHA are genuinely trying to widen the views on their policy groups. In the past it would have been a few Stewards, a few top owner/breeders and a couple of retired trainers on there. I was also interested in Edward Gillespie's views on prize money. They have very recently changed the split to give placed horses more of the cake. He suggests that this is done again to ensure that smaller owners get some money back but at this rate, the second and third are going to get nearly as much as the winner and that can't be right. I would much prefer more attempts to put qualifying standards on all races above Class 4 so that they can then give appearance money to those who qualify rather than muck about with the percentage to the first 4-6 home. For instance, to run in a Class 3 handicap you need to have won a Class 4 or 5 maiden or been placed at class 4 level in a handicap as well as having the minimum OR to qualify to enter and then all runners get (say) £300 for running. That would remove some dross from races but increase field sizes and reward owners of 80+ rated horses that rarely win. First round losers at the Open Golf or Wimbledon get quite a big sum but they have to qualify to be there at all.
Report acey deucy May 19, 2022 9:22 AM BST
Take note Kevin Blake and Lydia we the people want a five day festival.Plain
Report impossible123 May 19, 2022 5:17 PM BST
I'd like to see a 3-day Cheltenham Festival. Also, I do not wish to see a 4-runner Grade 1 race. If so, cancel the race altogether at the last decs with the money saved return to sponsor who'd then sponsor another race elsewhere, if they so wish. I understand it's tough on the last ones declared but message must be sent to connections of absentees eg large stable picking and choosing races to maximise winnings.
Report sageform May 19, 2022 5:49 PM BST
impossible, your idea penalises the connections (and ante post punters) of an exceptional horse that others are reluctant to take on and would only mean that such horses would miss the Festival meeting altogether and go to Aintree or Punchestown. I don't see that even a 2 day meeting with all Group 1 races would make that any different.
Report impossible123 May 19, 2022 6:47 PM BST
'sageform', possibly. But, how many times the same stable has a monopoly of targets and repeatedly hoodwinked punters for the benefit of bookies - their allies? Also, the same stable deliberately avoid their big guns taking on each other to maximise profit at the expense of other lesser stables. 

To me less choices equals more competition esp with the infinity number of horses bred and on racecourses.
Report Hushwing. May 19, 2022 6:59 PM BST
which is the better interview starsports or maddy please?.
I'm too busy to give both the time of day
Report impossible123 May 19, 2022 7:04 PM BST
Maddy for me as difficult questions posed batted with genuine and sincere responses missing from others in the profession.
Report strontium May 19, 2022 7:57 PM BST
I'd also like to see a 3-day Festival. Minimum field sizes won't work though, because the trainers with 300 horses would just pad the field if they have a hotshot. The obvious solution is fewer graded races at the Festival, especially for novices and mares, so the best need to take each other on. The Dublin Racing Festival is a good model for the sort of program we should have (with a few tweaks).
Report onlooker May 19, 2022 8:36 PM BST
Maddy  - 'Posed' - "difficult questions" ...

Really ?
Report acey deucy May 19, 2022 10:46 PM BST
Tbh the interview was ok at best.
Report Ramruma May 20, 2022 8:55 AM BST
@Hushwing -- "which is the better interview starsports or maddy please?.
I'm too busy to give both the time of day"

They are on Youtube so you can simply play them at double speed and fit them both in to your busy schedule.
Report howard May 20, 2022 10:21 AM BST
I like Lydia but as said she was/is part of pattern committee. They moved the Queens Vase to 14 furlongs. Its "odd " races that create interest.  Most Leger possibles you wonder whether they will stay with the Vase you knew winner had class but was it quick enough?
Report strontium May 20, 2022 12:53 PM BST
I don't know if its the same pattern committe for jump racing, but that one has a lot to answer for. The jump pattern is in a state of bloated disarray and needs radical slimming.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com