Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
HallGreenSpy
12 May 22 23:02
| Topic/replies: 2,344 | Blogger: HallGreenSpy's blog
https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/we-all-need-to-pull-together-tough-summer-ahead-as-york-crowd-falls-again/555962

50% first day and 40% today.

It's a growing trend as has been discussed on other threads. We all know the reasons. They seem to think increasing prize money and getting better horses will alleviate this problem. Maybe at the forefront of their minds should be making the racegoers day less expensive and troublesome . That'll be a start.
Pause Switch to Standard View Crowds down at York.
Show More
Report ItsMeSwaddle May 12, 2022 11:52 PM BST
Was 56 quid for 3 days

I think it’s the bookmakers pricing personally
Report Manoleeds May 13, 2022 8:39 AM BST
Yes but not everyone has the time/stamina/money to go for three days and £25 for Tatts si just where the batting starts. Going from 13.00 to about 17.00 without food and drink is possible but most are going to want something and a tea bag with hot water and a dash of milk for £2.50 ish is far worse value than proper coffee for about the same price. Then about £5 for a sandwich that would be £2 elsewhere or around £8 for a basic burger. Maybe they need a "basics stand" that does  only  tea for £1 and a cheese or ham sandwich for £3.
Report know all May 13, 2022 9:06 AM BST
they need to bring prices down to get the crowds in, even cartmel are sending emails every week where you could guarantee a sell out before, and they are advertising you can pay on the day
Report ronnie rails May 13, 2022 9:21 AM BST
Sad to say it's not just the racecourse York is dead. Had breakfast in the tomahawk yesterday only me in walked to the course plenty of bandbs vacancies the mount royal shut went out for dinner last night most restaurants empty or just a few in sad to say fasten the seat belt it's going to be a bumpy ride have a good day.Ronnie
Report GLASGOWCALLING May 13, 2022 10:27 AM BST
Its been happening as long as I can remember, its called " captive Audience ", it happens at every event which has one,

IE Football, Pop Concerts, Any large sporting occasion, the Idea is once you are part of the " Captive Audience " you

will not be allowed to leave before your Trousers are well and truly around your Ankles.
Report howard May 13, 2022 11:17 AM BST
I have a friend that had no extra to pay ( he's a member ) but didn't go Wednesday and joined the 6,300 watching York City.  He didn't want to drink all afternoon before the match. I would have needed the drink to watch the Mincermen.
Report Dr Crippen May 13, 2022 11:30 AM BST
We're getting poorer all the time with the cost of living going up. So we can expect even smaller crowds.

How much does it cost to watch a football match these days?

They charge what the market will stand.
Report CROPSICK May 13, 2022 11:31 AM BST
Went tp Thirsk midweek last year went for a pint £5.20 for a pint of Morretti, not too bad  i thought but a bit more than i am used to paying went for anothe later different lass serving...''£6.20 please'' she said,i replied it was only £5.20 last time, ''no thats the price its up there on the list she must have charged you the Amstel price'', i said keep it and walked away.
Report N-east Correspondent May 13, 2022 12:00 PM BST
Too many meetings to choose from, too expensive and people are being hammered left, right and centre on living costs
a perfect storm for dwindling attendances and probably not just racing ones
Report ItsMeSwaddle May 13, 2022 12:29 PM BST

May 13, 2022 -- 11:30AM, Dr Crippen wrote:

We're getting poorer all the time with the cost of living going up. So we can expect even smaller crowds.How much does it cost to watch a football match these days?They charge what the market will stand.

Believe it or not its more expensive to see York play than Newcastle.

Report ItsMeSwaddle May 13, 2022 12:30 PM BST
However tickets for Brackley away have sold out in a minute and a half, 600 allocation Wink
Report flatcap May 13, 2022 12:41 PM BST
Have been a member at York for 40+ years. The afternoon Tea in the Gimcrack room used to be excellent value ( buffet style, large selection of sandwiches and fresh cream cakes.

Paid my £12.50 yesterday, No longer buffet style (suppose due to covid protocols not wanting food handled by the general public) Very very
disappointed. Cake stand brought to the table (limited variety of sandwiches 10 small fresh cream cakes for the 4 of us) Waiting for the cups to be filled with tea or coffee. Most of the staff waiting on the tables only able to speak limited English

Really gone downhill service poor, No longer value for money.
Report tony6499 May 13, 2022 1:33 PM BST
When the Saturday drinkers and pop concert attendees stop going they won't have a clue what to do having pissed off the regular racegoers to cater for them. It won't just be racing but football, boxing and all the big spectator events are going to be suffering when people can't afford to be ripped off anymore
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! May 13, 2022 4:40 PM BST
Probably down due to new ac checks
Laugh
Report barstool May 13, 2022 5:18 PM BST
The disposable dollars will be thin on the ground come October when the energy price increases kick on along with futher rises in interest rates. Anyone owing on a credit card with a big mortgage on an overpriced house is going to be in for a very hard time. If the war in Ukraine drags on and the Chinese economy remains strangled by covid there will be shortages/higher prices in staple foods as well.

Racecourses (lockdowns apart) have a pretty good time of it with media rights income, decent crowds and high end pricing for a while. However the storm clouds are gathering; Poor prize money and a crises in the economy will cause a further fall off in Owners/ Trainers/spectators in the next couple of years. Now would be a good time for anyone investments in ARC or the Jockey Club etc to stock and get out.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com