Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
sparrow
12 May 22 08:59
| Topic/replies: 44,693 | Blogger: sparrow's blog
Nick Rhodes named his two-year-old horse Buggerlugs as his late dad used the 'affectionate' term during his childhood.

A race horse owner who was forced to change the name of his two-year-old colt just a day before his debut has slammed the decision as "disrespectful to the people of Yorkshire."

Nick Rhodes called his young horse Buggerlugs in memory of his late dad Les Rhodes senior. He said his dad used the term in an affectionate manner during his childhood.

But racing chiefs told Rhodes he had to change his horse's name just a day before he was due to make his debut at Beverley on Tuesday, reports the Mirror. The Cambridge Dictionary defines the 'informal, old-fashioned' term as 'for referring or speaking to someone in a slightly insulting but friendly way'.

Bosses at the British Horseracing Authority took the view that the name was inappropriate and gave Rhodes just 24-hours to change his horse's name before his debut, leaving him fuming. The British Horseracing Authority felt that most people would be unfamiliar with it and were likely to notice the unpleasant swear word.

Rhodes, who went to his first race meeting with his dad in York when he was just ten years old, has named all his runners after his home county of Yorkshire - including five-time winner Eeh Bah Gum. He said: "We are distraught by being told to change the name of the horse. My late father used to call me 'little Buggerlugs' as a child."

Rhodes said he received a call from the British Horseracing Authority who made him aware "they were not happy with the name". He claims he was told his horse would be pulled from his first race if he did not come up with another name "quickly".

"I think it's disrespectful to the people of Yorkshire, our culture and dialect," he fumed. Rhodes bought his first horse, Yorkshire Pudding, eight years ago and shares his ownership journey on Facebook.

His horses have their own social media pages, which are run by his wife Lena, and they had even ordered some 'Buggerlugs' sweatshirts for followers of his page.

On its decision to ban the name, a spokesperson for the British Horseracing Authority said: "On further consideration, the name was viewed as inappropriate." Rhodes settled on the alternative Sling Yer Hook but says he will fight the decision.

"We want Buggerlugs' name reinstated," he said. "I think we have been badly treated. We have done a lot for racing over the years and lots of people enjoy following our horses. It has spoilt our first day at the races with him."

Sling Yer Hook finished seventh in the ten-horse race at Beverley race course on his debut on Tuesday.
Pause Switch to Standard View Man forced to change name of his race...
Show More
Report Brian May 12, 2022 9:24 AM BST
BHA on top of racing priorities Grin
Report tyred May 12, 2022 9:29 AM BST
they are beyound stupid, by their logic, they'd be banning names like S[b****[/b]horpe and anything containing c o c k within the name
Report tyred May 12, 2022 9:30 AM BST
Scunthorpe

LOL, it's just as bad here
Report HallGreenSpy May 12, 2022 11:57 AM BST
Ridiculous decision. Quite a well known term that for mischievous young uns where I come from. Maybe if he spelt it buggalugs, he might have got away with it. Daft regardless.
Report Ramruma May 12, 2022 12:02 PM BST
BHA should ban that Irish poet and multiple Gold Cup winner who can't be named here for heaven knows what reason. It would be easier and no doubt quicker than waiting for Betfair to sort it out.

Buggerlugs' owner should get a life.
Report stewarts rise May 12, 2022 12:21 PM BST
He dhould take issue with the BHA asking if they know the meaning of all the Arabic named horses the sheiks own, and if any of those could be offensive to some people, should keep them busy for a while.
Report UnluckyForSome May 12, 2022 12:21 PM BST
Ah well... at least THE TURTLE SAID (5:10 Font) slipped past em Grin
Report HallGreenSpy May 12, 2022 12:26 PM BST
Fircombe Hall currently racing also! Happy
Report mitolo May 12, 2022 1:13 PM BST
my mate tried to register dubai khazi but they wouldnt have it. poor thing was killed 2 weeks later.  Sad
Report tyred May 12, 2022 1:15 PM BST
money down the toilet
Report Hayden May 12, 2022 1:41 PM BST
Imagine naming a horse after your place of birth , especially if you were born in Cockermouth in Cumbria..
Report Hayden May 12, 2022 1:45 PM BST
Reminds me reading about that famous commentary from the seventies i think it was.....

Slippery Dick by a length from Fannies Delight.
Report sparrow May 12, 2022 1:48 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWpRcRCUKsY

Peter Cook and Dudley Moore.Laugh
Report SlippyBlue May 12, 2022 1:52 PM BST
"The Durex Handicap", you beat me to it Sparrow!

Derek & Clive were great, that certainly takes me back in time.Grin
Report sparrow May 12, 2022 1:56 PM BST
I was a big Peter Cook fan slippy.
Report tyred May 12, 2022 2:04 PM BST
laughed, we nearly shat Laugh
Report EastLower Gooner May 12, 2022 2:12 PM BST
Anyone remember when you could type Guineas on here with it being censored?

Technically they should be renaming the race imo
Report tyred May 12, 2022 2:29 PM BST
I think it was guiness but only for a while Crazy
Report DancingBraveTheBest May 12, 2022 3:03 PM BST
Anyone remember Spunkie?   Commentator used to say "And here comes Spunkie on the outside"Plain
Report 1830 May 12, 2022 7:16 PM BST
I remember being called Buggerlugs loads of times when Iwas younger.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- May 12, 2022 9:26 PM BST
Ha ha buggerlugs, not heard it for years, but
heard it often in my childhood.

I suppose it's the bugger bit that causes the problem, lol
Report doantwin2easy May 12, 2022 9:49 PM BST
so anal.
Report swiftynifty May 12, 2022 9:56 PM BST
DBTB, I do, 'The jockey on Spunkie's got a double handful'

Surprised Buggerlugs got passed initially, clearly not acceptable in this day and age.

No rude English words and no Arabic names would be a fair trade off.
Report HallGreenSpy May 12, 2022 10:00 PM BST
But it is a genuine term of affection in many parts. Like I said earlier, spell it buggalugs, probably be no problem.
Report Rico-Dangleflaps May 12, 2022 10:43 PM BST
Bug her lugs
Report HallGreenSpy May 12, 2022 10:52 PM BST
even better rico
Report Rico-Dangleflaps May 12, 2022 11:27 PM BST
horse running tonite..

the turtles said.
Report spyker May 13, 2022 11:41 AM BST
Distraught? The family needs to get a grip - if a southerner named a horse Northern Monkey, it wan't allowed I'm pretty sure they couldn't pull the Southern direct line!
Report Rico-Dangleflaps May 13, 2022 1:15 PM BST
stewyb bort a horse..calling it Mike Oxtiny.
Report StillLearning May 13, 2022 2:46 PM BST
what if he spelled it buggalugs?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com