Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
know all
11 May 22 15:43
| Topic/replies: 3,101 | Blogger: know all's blog
Have been this day for many years always really busy never seen it so quiet, chester last week was quiet is it time they now reduced the entry fees , im off tomorrow you can spot me 25 stone and using £20 notes to light the cuban, things tight it used to be £50 notes
Pause Switch to Standard View York champagne bar looked very quiet...
Show More
Report ItsMeSwaddle May 11, 2022 3:52 PM BST
To be fair what can they do

56 quid for 3 days.

Give it a couple of years n itll be Thurs-Sat.
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 May 11, 2022 4:44 PM BST
That Champagne is dear stuff!
Report onlooker May 11, 2022 4:55 PM BST
^ at least they won't have to throw the Champagne away ... unlike the unsold Food.
Report ronnie rails May 11, 2022 5:07 PM BST
The whole city seems quite.
Report jimnast May 11, 2022 6:00 PM BST
It was quiet today but most would have found it to cold to sit outside the champagne bar,what was very very quiet was the restaurant where they do afternoon tea ,I actually thought it was closed until I looked through the window.
Report jimnast May 11, 2022 6:12 PM BST
Hello Ronnie hope your well

Not surprised the town is quiet hotels prices in York have become ott,up till a few years ago we use to stay at the mount royale bump into a few of the people I knew from staying there this afternoon and they were informed only a couple of weeks ago the hotel was closing before the Dante meeting so they had to book elsewhere which ended up more expensive than the mount royale which wasn’t cheap.
Report ronnie rails May 11, 2022 6:57 PM BST
jimnast fine thank you  always stop at the queens on the river so normally have a few pints next door it  was  top class when it was the living room had a pint this afternoon had a pint at lunchtime nice pint it wants to be at 6.25 just ordered the same pint 6.50. it was normally busy this time of night very quiet.hope you are well Ronnie
Report ronnie rails May 11, 2022 7:03 PM BST
jimnast.regarding hotels stayed most meetings since the queens open so they have looked after me 2 nights for 230 quid. Can't complain.
Report saddo May 11, 2022 8:25 PM BST
£6.25 for a pint in Yorkshire ronnie? I thought you meant you were drinking it at 6.25 p.m
Report casemoney May 11, 2022 9:19 PM BST
Someone Charged 6.25 for a Pint I would walk out .
Report know all May 11, 2022 9:31 PM BST
how much for a pint on the track used to be a fiver ?
Report hulk23 May 11, 2022 9:36 PM BST
£6.25 a pint ... did you have to satisfy an affordability check ?
Report roache May 11, 2022 9:37 PM BST
With many tightening there belts due to massive inflation of prices can't see them Yorkies selling many more pints at London prices
Report know all May 11, 2022 9:39 PM BST
An official attendance could not be taken due to a technical problem, according to York, but officials said it was expected to be down from the figure of 9,554 in 2019 – the last time crowds were permitted at the Dante meeting.
quoted racing post
the official attendance could not be taken due to a technical problem lol it was that low they didnt want to publish it, with what they charge the vendors to trade there i bet they need to hide them imo lol
Report know all May 11, 2022 9:57 PM BST
On-course bookmakers at York joked they were left "bored" by a lack of trading on the opening day of the Dante festival, where the below-par attendance continued a pattern of falling crowds at British racecourses.

An official attendance could not be taken due to a technical problem, according to York, but officials said it was expected to be down from the figure of 9,554 in 2019 – the last time crowds were permitted at the Dante meeting.

Several showpiece British racedays have had a marked drop in crowds since pandemic restrictions were eased last summer. Last week's Chester May festival attracted a total of 34,900 across the three days, down significantly from 55,344 in 2018 and 53,414 in 2019.

Bookmaker Keith Johnson has been betting at York for 30 years and his son Richard Johnson, who was standing at the family pitch on Wednesday, said: "It's always a quiet meeting but this would be worse than normal.

"In the last month that's tended to be the pattern in midweek. Midweek is going backwards and that may just be the way of the world.

York Dante meeting Wednesday attendances

2022 Not available yet due to a technical issue
2019 9,554
2018 8,783
2017 8,274
2016 8,891
2015 9,899
2014 9,093
2013 8,304

"It's down on last year and I half expected that was going to be the case. If it had been a Saturday and it had been down I'd have been more worried than I am about Wednesday. Thursday will get better and Friday will be better again."

A trader for White Sunderland, one of Britain's leading on-course firms, said turnover was down roughly 30 per cent from 2019, with the cost of living crisis named as a reason behind a lack of punting interest.

"I've never been as bored in my life," said a White Sunderland representative standing at York. Speaking to ITV Racing, he added: "It's been terrible, very quiet. Look, who wants a bet?

"The biggest meetings here are the Saturdays when there's no football on. All over, the midweek meetings have been quiet. People are beginning to realise they have to save money. I'd say we'd taken about 30 per cent more [on the Dante meeting in 2019]."

Frankie Dettori, who rode Emily Upjohn as part of a double, said: "The first day at Chester was quiet, I wasn't there on ladies' day [Thursday] and the third day was quite still.

"The weather wasn't great, though. We've only just started – let's see what happens at Ascot and the big festivals."

Trainer John Gosden was more upbeat. He said: "It's a good atmosphere. Not only are they passionate but they're a very knowledgeable crowd. You've got to have your wits about you. They'll come along and start talking about a pedigree, they're back in the fourth generation and you're scratching your head. They know their horses."

York chief executive William Derby said: "Our pre-sales were up two per cent coming into today, six per cent up tomorrow and eight per cent on Friday."

James Brennan, head of marketing and sponsorship, said: "The showers this morning will have put off a few picnickers. Nobody knows whether those advance bookers are normal walk-ups who've got more organised, because Covid taught them to be."

Dante set to be run on good ground
The ground is set to remain officially good for the second day of the York May meeting, which features the Al Basti Equiworld Dubai Dante Stakes.

Derby, also clerk of the course, said on Wednesday evening: "We're happy with the times and the reports and the ground remains good. We're moving the rail from the nine-furlong to the four at the entrance to the straight out by three metres tonight.

"We had 0.4mm of rain this morning and there are showers about tomorrow."

Among those riding at York on Wednesday, Harry Davies described it as "good ground, a little loose on top," and Rowan Scott said: "It's beautiful ground, just on the easy side." Gosden felt it was "a touch slow
Report ronnie rails May 11, 2022 10:08 PM BST
Case money it was 6.25 at lunchtime 6.50 this evening the thing is these days you don't know the price til they. Say that will be 650 sir what ever happened to the price lists above the bar . hope you are well.
Report Manoleeds May 11, 2022 10:23 PM BST
If around tomorrow try the Swan on Bishopthorpe Road on the way to the course . Won't be that price. Near the course is the Knavesmire Pub.
Report casemoney May 12, 2022 2:05 AM BST
I am Ronnie , Unbelievable what people think they can Charge for a Pint of Beer ..
Report know all May 12, 2022 7:45 AM BST
not going today looks hard might go friday you need 500 just for a decent day out 2 bottles veve clic 140 entry 100, 20 pints 120, course food including york evening 200, train 50 and 8 getting to course and back on the bus, over 500 ffs without a bet
Report ronnie rails May 12, 2022 9:20 AM BST
know all walked passed the vive cliq bar twice yesterday both times not I single person in. Off out for breakfast was thinking about the ivy but just had a look at entain shares so a shade odds on Gregg's for a beacon sarnie. Hope you are well Ronnie.
O
Report twizzle22 May 12, 2022 9:56 AM BST
I was at Newton Abbot yesterday...also very quiet .At least the Tribute was a reasonable £4.10 a pint.Last race of the day was a two horse non competitive  affair and wanting an interest asked one of the bookmakers for a distance bet for a small amount. Despite him hardly having taken a bet on the race his answer was " i don't bet on distances"..I despairCrazy
Report know all May 12, 2022 9:58 AM BST
dont mention shares or crypto bloodbath at the moment but as with all crashes will bounce back, the crypto crash caused by short sellers making big money to crash a coin . have a good day at york, would have won yesterday but the short prices means not much
Report ItsMeSwaddle May 12, 2022 10:15 AM BST

May 12, 2022 -- 9:56AM, twizzle22 wrote:

I was at Newton Abbot yesterday...also very quiet .At least the Tribute was a reasonable £4.10 a pint.Last race of the day was a two horse non competitive

Report ItsMeSwaddle May 12, 2022 10:15 AM BST
Happened Rasen to me , 1/10 shot this winter...

All sorts of answers that were bs hiding behind their machine,

The most respectable one was no son I dont bet on that sht.
Report The Knight May 12, 2022 10:16 AM BST
I was there yesterday and will be there today and tomorrow. I could see attendance was down yesterday but not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Might pick up the next two days.

Sadly, I suspect it will be NEXT year when things have really gone awry and attendances will be at their lowest.
Report howard May 12, 2022 12:52 PM BST
56 notes for 3 days. that is tatts surely. champers lawn/tables  is members
Report ItsMeSwaddle May 12, 2022 1:36 PM BST
I dont go all that regularly I thought they were reffering to the shyt out the back where everyone drinks pimms and watches no racing, could be wrong but thats "free" with the ticket.
Report Manoleeds May 12, 2022 1:41 PM BST
https://www.yorkracecourse.co.uk/uploads/pdfs/36Food-and-Drink-Free-Zone-Map.pdf -anything behind the paddock is for the elite only.
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 May 12, 2022 1:43 PM BST
You'd think they would give Weaver a box of champers to stand on!
Report know all May 13, 2022 9:13 AM BST
anyone go thursday whats the report, price of a pint in tattersalls/ champers bar , food prices ?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com