Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
kavvie
04 May 22 09:21
| Topic/replies: 10,560 | Blogger: kavvie's blog
you can go to leicester races soon.only way to bet or drink or eat is to  buy a voucher with cash. bet away with the voucher with bookies that have the facility. then when you are finished cash the voucher for cash!!? i wonder what brains came up with this idea? the world is gone mad.
Pause Switch to Standard View leicester going cashless.
Show More
Report mrcombustible May 4, 2022 9:26 AM BST
On a slightly different note. Lingfield are cashless. only take cards for eating,drinking and admission. I presume the same for all ARC tracks
Report jimnast May 4, 2022 9:44 AM BST
Same at jcr tracks quite farcical really paying for a bottle of water or a cup of tea with a credit card.

No idea how you go on if you don’t have a credit card
Report penzance May 4, 2022 9:51 AM BST
Who comes up these ideas?.
Ridiculous.
Report jimnast May 4, 2022 9:56 AM BST
Hardly anybody goes to Leicester Penzance this will chase a few of those who do go away.
Report jimnast May 4, 2022 9:57 AM BST
Do the bookmakers pay out in vouchers?
Report Andrew.in.Sweden May 4, 2022 9:58 AM BST
Very common in Sweden and has been for a while now, the target is to be completely cashless, in fact only 9% of Swedes use cash today. You can even buy a hamburger in MCD or a packet of sweets using credit, debit or swish cards.

Voucher betting with bookmakers is absurd. Sad
Report penzance May 4, 2022 10:06 AM BST
Can you imagine the people who go to Cheltenham,R.Ascot
& other big meetings having to bet in vouchers?
Buying food & drink,fair enough,Punting though.?
Report jimnast May 4, 2022 10:13 AM BST
Soon nobody will be able to do anything without the institution’s,big companies and governments knowing there every move.
Report The Pies May 4, 2022 10:28 AM BST
COVID has unbelievably accelerated this transition and many businesses are now making the move. It's a big decision for them so presumably they've weighed up the pros and cons. For my part I couldn't have imagined how quickly I'd embrace it and I now rarely use cash.
Report sparrow May 4, 2022 10:32 AM BST
Its certainly a much easier way of getting people to part with their money. A £20 note might make some think twice before spending it.
Report The Pies May 4, 2022 10:34 AM BST
By the way, the email I had from Leicester said betting could still be in cash. I presume they mean the Tote as I expect it is for bookmakers to decide if they'll take cash or cards.
Report longbridge May 4, 2022 10:41 AM BST
Same here as The Pies.

Pre-March 2020 all my small spending - pubs, lunch etc was in cash.

The ~£200 I had in my wallet in March 2020 took me over a year to spend, and now I am in the habit of using card (or more often, virtual card on phone) for almost everything.
Report jimnast May 4, 2022 10:42 AM BST
How sad the way things are going
Report saddo May 4, 2022 10:47 AM BST
Cards are ok for chopping, racegoers will always need notes for snorting.
Report Manoleeds May 4, 2022 11:15 AM BST
Speaking to a greengrocer yesterday, he said cash is coming back . He said that people are finding that it's too easy to spend on card and only realise how much has gone as the end of the month-whereas with cash it hurts if you are paying £5 for a pint.
Report CROPSICK May 4, 2022 11:30 AM BST
used to put all my change in big bowl when comin in from pub etc and take contents down to supermarket when full to put it through a change machine, then just give it to some local good cause, now i dont hardly have any change. wonder how much change charities are missing out on. Also beggars must be feeling it,'any spare change please' will soon become a thing of the past!
Report JayRogers May 4, 2022 11:30 AM BST
End of the month is correct, whoever came up with the bright idea of giving you a monthly statement for "entertainment"?
Sharp got me into the habit of carrying cash again. Surely spend as much, but I don't get reminded of it later.
Report CLYDEBANK29 May 4, 2022 11:34 AM BST
Surely it's April 1st?  What a dumb idea!
Report CLYDEBANK29 May 4, 2022 11:39 AM BST
It boils down to this.  If given the choice to buy vouchers or use cash 1% of people would buy vouchers.  It's madness
Report CLYDEBANK29 May 4, 2022 11:43 AM BST
They are going to have to employ people to administer and sell the damn tickets and hire a firm to print and deliver them
Report CLYDEBANK29 May 4, 2022 11:45 AM BST
If you've got to buy a voucher first and then spend it you are thinking twice about spending money
Report flatcap May 4, 2022 11:45 AM BST
Is this a way of bringing affordability checks in at racecourses for gambling?
Lose £100 on your card, then the next bet your bank declines the transaction.
Report longbridge May 4, 2022 11:50 AM BST
@CLYDEBANK29

"It boils down to this.  If given the choice to buy vouchers or use cash 1% of people would buy vouchers.  It's madness"

But is the choice not actually "use vouchers or use card" - when 99% will use card, which is the answer they want?  Is the voucher thing not just a fallback option for those who claim they need to use cash as they don't have/won't use cards?
Report SlippyBlue May 4, 2022 11:52 AM BST
I feel for the genuine homeless living on our streets.

"Got any spare change guv?"

Sad
Report CLYDEBANK29 May 4, 2022 12:01 PM BST
longbridge the OP says ...you can go to leicester races soon.ONLY way to bet or drink or eat is to  buy a voucher with cash
Report HallGreenSpy May 4, 2022 12:06 PM BST
Warwick  are cashless bar betting. Total joke. Can't believe the on course bookies have agreed to this. Fek the vouchers, I'll use my phone from now on. And I always bet with the books when I go racing. Crazy I know, but part and parcel for me of the day out trying to take it from them. Jeez, what a totally shyte idea this is.
Report longbridge May 4, 2022 12:10 PM BST
@clydebank39 - the OP either does not understand or poorly expressed the real situation.  This from the Leicester Racecourse website:

"LEICESTER RACECOURSE STARTS PLANNING FOR CASHLESS-   Hello everyone. Please be aware that we are starting the future planning of slowly moving away from cash here at Leicester. This process will be carried out in stages.   Stage one will commence from 31st May: From this date all bars and food outlets will accept debit or credit cards only. Please be assured that turnstiles, race card sales and betting facilities will continue to accept cash. For those customers who either forget their cards or do not possess a debit card, we will be opening “voucher outlets” where you will be able to exchange your cash for vouchers and should you not spend your vouchers on the day you will be able to exchange them back for cash from the main office before you leave."

So the vouchers-for-cash are just a fallback for those unable or unwilling to use cards.
Report HallGreenSpy May 4, 2022 12:12 PM BST
That makes more sense and perfectly acceptable. Not my fav course by any means but have a got a trip there this year so good to know. Cheers longbridge.
Report ihal essex May 4, 2022 12:43 PM BST
Totally anti current cashless craze - who wants every drink, every bet being recorded on their debit/credit card statements?
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk May 4, 2022 12:45 PM BST
They want to know everything about you and where you go.
Comforting aint it
Report barstool May 4, 2022 1:04 PM BST
Still use cash for everything I can just to keep the nosey parkers at bay. Cash also allows you avoid VAT in many instances and that is probably the main reason for the card push. Ordered a pint in a cricket club were it was cashless, when they asked for my card i said " I don't have one". They accepted my cash.
Report undecided May 4, 2022 2:00 PM BST
I use cash wherever I can and will not give my custom to any cashless venues/outlets.
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! May 4, 2022 2:11 PM BST
Course is a DUMP
Wont be going back
even if you give me free munie
Shocked
Report saddo May 4, 2022 2:26 PM BST
longbridge 04 May 22 12:10 

So the vouchers-for-cash are just a fallback for those unable or unwilling to use cards.

And their 'punishment' is to queue to buy vouchers, and queue again to cash em back in. 2nd class citizens.
Report longbridge May 4, 2022 3:01 PM BST
@saddo

Pretty much.  If they don't disincentivise people from using cash they'll never get rid of the end of the long tail.

Also I suspect one of the reasons is to prevent staff pilfering, so done this way only the cashiers selling the vouchers need to be trustworthy...
Report BennyBinion1 May 4, 2022 4:24 PM BST
Just don't go to these cashless events. Don't go in shops that are cashless. Don't go to cashless racecourses.

Unfortunately the majority of the population are sheep who just go along with what they are instructed to do without thinking of what they are actually doing and the long term effects.

My local non league team who I used to follow in North Herts are cashless and u can only buy tickets in advance. When questioned, their actual reply was they are not interested in on the day last minute attendees.

What a selfish obnoxious attitude.

And this is a non league team levels below the conference.
Report SlippyBlue May 4, 2022 5:50 PM BST
What team was that in North Herts B.B. If you don't mind me asking?
Report onlooker May 4, 2022 10:16 PM BST
Many/most Football grounds are 'Card Only'/Cashless - especially the New ones - like Tottenham, Brentford et al.
Report GLASGOWCALLING May 4, 2022 10:23 PM BST
..  Do the bookmakers pay out in vouchers?

Yes, Luncheon Vouchers, if you back a couple of 10/1 winners you end up with enough for a cup of tea and a cheese sandwitch.
Report CLYDEBANK29 May 5, 2022 7:57 AM BST
You'll like my local Indian restaurant.  They have a notice on their menu saying they no longer intend to take cards!  They do actually but still great to see Love
Report Life-Lucky May 5, 2022 9:03 AM BST
Cash is King, for sure, but I can't help thinking all those cash-only small businesses are just there to launder drug money
Report The Knight May 5, 2022 9:41 AM BST
Although this cashless society is largely nonsense and will force people into even more debt through them not tracking their small time purchases, let's be fair to Leicester.

They are not yet asking patrons to bet with the bookies using vouchers. I suggest those posting on the topic read their website.

They are introducing a voucher scheme for cash for those without cards or who forget their cards. I suspect they never will ask patrons to bet with the bookies in anything other than cash.

After all, the excuse for a cashless society is that the banks charge 'so much' for banking cash (do they?). Well, the bookies bank their own cash, not the track and the books will not agree to cashless betting having already paid the hefty badge fee to tracks to bet.

But, and mark my words here, this race to cashless is being driven by the younger brigade anxious to please. What nobody will have done is ask the banks what they think of moving towards totally cards.

Once the banks' computers start to be used more and more by card transactions, they will soon start hiking their banking charges to cover their costs. And then,it would not surprise me to see cash become popular again, at least for small transactions!
Report CLYDEBANK29 May 5, 2022 9:50 AM BST
After all, the excuse for a cashless society is that the banks charge 'so much' for banking cash (do they?)

They do charge a fair whack.  Could be as much as 2% on withdrawals and deposits.  Ofc if you are paying by AMEX VISA or MC credit cards, those American behemoths are charging a fair whack too and that money is going out of the country.
Report CLYDEBANK29 May 5, 2022 9:51 AM BST
Also if you pay and take money in cash and keep the cash in the safe then it's 0%
Report CLYDEBANK29 May 5, 2022 9:54 AM BST
My opinion is that if you withdraw cash transactions generally less gets done and we are all worse off
Report jimnast May 5, 2022 10:13 AM BST
A great thread which so much sense written by many
Report jimnast May 5, 2022 10:15 AM BST
Especially chopstick 1130 post
Report the dealer May 5, 2022 10:34 AM BST
Might be easier to spot the drug deals, when they have to do it by bank transfer.
Report mitolo May 5, 2022 1:49 PM BST
lost me cards the other day. borrowed 400 quid to keep me going until new ones turn up. cant get rid of it. couldnt get on tube or buy a few pints. used this as an excuse to harrass some richard to pay and gave her the cash, and a bit extra, as she was quite fit. she immediately left the premises.
Report michael59 May 5, 2022 2:05 PM BST
was in canterbury last week a begger in the underpass was moaning like **** that everybodys cashless now LaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report SlippyBlue May 5, 2022 2:15 PM BST
"..some richard..." Blimey Mitolo, I didn't know that phrase was still being used!
Report mitolo May 5, 2022 2:38 PM BST
common among the lower-orders bluey.
Report ambush May 6, 2022 1:46 AM BST
they have  been around since 1452 slippy, dont know owt before then#
Report Escapee May 6, 2022 7:17 PM BST
The banks & card machine companies charge the business from 1.5% to 9% (maybe higher) depending on the business  type and size of business.

Your local independent small business will be being charged 5-8% and be liable for all fraud transactions, it's significant hit on profits.
Report longbridge May 6, 2022 8:26 PM BST
The banks also charge for handling cash, and for something like a race meeting's catering and bars, that will clear 5-figures or low 6-figures over the meeting, there is not only the cost of the cash being counted and sorted by staff on site, the sums will demand a security firm like G4S to transport to the bank, then the charge of the bank for taking it on.

If you need an indication of how major businesses do not like banking cash, look only at how supermarkets started to offer cashback whenever we paid by card 20 or 30 years- they were only two keen to shovel cash out of their tills into the wallets and purses of customers rather than bear the cost of gettimg it into the bank.

I barely use cash now - I changed permanently since March 2020 and I can no longer imagine going back.
Report windsor knot May 6, 2022 8:53 PM BST
interesting thread as i went to chester races yesterday ( freebie, would never pay to get into this laughable squashed psuedo nightclub and only stayed for 3 races ) and found a few bars in the 50 quid tatts middle of course that were cash only !..hmmm, i wonder how that works and what possible financial advantage there is .i have also had  many cab drivers in the north west insisting on cash . i look through my on line banking purchases and realise i am spending way too much on booze so aim to cut down . paying by cash i would not have noticed .
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! May 6, 2022 9:31 PM BST
LaughLaughLaugh
Report jimnast May 6, 2022 9:48 PM BST
Good evening Windsor

Some things are better not knowing
Report Life-Lucky May 7, 2022 7:30 AM BST
I worked in retail. Card terminals crash sometimes.
Report FOYLESWAR May 7, 2022 8:45 AM BST
cash only here if they dont like it they can go fook themsels an ill take my biz elsewhere.
Report jimnast May 7, 2022 8:53 AM BST
Indeed foyles
Report HallGreenSpy May 7, 2022 9:55 AM BST
Some things are better not knowing

too true
Report The Knight May 8, 2022 10:16 AM BST
I appreciate the annoyance, even anger, about a cashless society and share some of the former myself.

BUT, here is a a total sure-fire, bang on, good thing bet about the vast majority who, on here and elsewhere, are saying 'f*ck it' and 'I'll take my business elsewhere'.

Once a cashless society has been achieved, almost every single one of those objecting will come around to the idea!!

Just like those who say they will not comply with any possible affordability checks etc. Are these people going to all give up betting? I doubt it!!

And so, that is why a cashless society is coming. Those who will not take part are going to find life impossible.  It's wrong in my view but there you have it.
Report Dr Crippen May 8, 2022 11:29 AM BST
Are these people going to all give up betting?

Why not?
If it means letting some minimum wage leftie in a bookies office looking into my financial affairs, I certainly will give up betting.
It's bad enough letting them know your name and address and who you bank with.
Report mitolo May 8, 2022 2:48 PM BST
usual tripe from dr.crackers. wtf has minimum wage to do with it? unpleasant sneery tone about you. and 'leftie'? irrelevant and how would you know? a leftie to you is anyone who doesnt spend their life watching loony conspiracy vids on yootube.
Report The Knight May 8, 2022 10:59 PM BST
Dr Crippen, well you cannot be very serious about betting if that's your view.

And if you are not serious about betting then you should not be doing it because you will not be winning otherwise. So, it sounds like affordability checks will be doing you a favour!!

But do you really think what you say you would do will be replicated by the majority of people who bet? Of course it won't. There will be a drop off but many will come back. W

hat I don't understand anyway, though, is why people are objecting to a bookie looking at their financial affairs? Our financial affairs come under the microscope one way or another by many others in different places already, so who cares about a bookie looking! I certainly don't and I've got a lot more than most.
Report Ramruma May 9, 2022 6:07 AM BST
One concern about bookies looking is we do not know how secure are their systems. If we have to upload copies of passports, driving licences, bank statements and so on to Corals, Hills, Betfair, and each of the others, then two questions arise:-

1. How secure are they against hacking?
2. How secure are they against dishonest or just nosey employees?

Bookmakers are not banks who have been used to dealing with confidential information for decades if not centuries, and most of us only have one bank but here we are multiplying the risk by having many bookmakers.
Report mrcombustible May 9, 2022 10:02 AM BST
I had lunch in the Sail Loft Greenwich (Fullers Pub) yesterday. I paid in cash but they cannot give change. It came to £43.16, I gave £43.20. I should have given £43 and said take the 16p on my card.
Report Dr Crippen May 9, 2022 10:28 AM BST
Mitool, sounds like he's one of those leftie losers with a chip on his shoulder working for minimum wage.
Report Dr Crippen May 9, 2022 10:31 AM BST
If The Knight is so ready to throw open his banking account for the whole world to see, then there can't be much in there of interest to anybody. 

Or if there is, and he's so addicted to online betting that he can't walk away then he needs help.
Report Dr Crippen May 9, 2022 10:33 AM BST
Ramruma, makes some very good points which should concern anyone with business interests
Report CLYDEBANK29 May 9, 2022 10:55 AM BST
"Your local independent small business will be being charged 5-8% and be liable for all fraud transactions, it's significant hit on profits."

well the wife's is 2%, so I'd say if you are paying 5-8% you are being done
Report CLYDEBANK29 May 9, 2022 11:03 AM BST
Dr Crippen, well you cannot be very serious about betting if that's your view.

Most people who bet are not serious about betting.

Personally think you are reading the public wrong on both counts ... cash and affordability ... and tbh prospective governments
Report CLYDEBANK29 May 9, 2022 11:06 AM BST
I walked away from 2 bookies over affordability checks fwiw and I'd class myself as a "serious" punter
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com