Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
acey deucy
03 May 22 17:38
| Topic/replies: 24,884 | Blogger: acey deucy's blog
Cant stand the meeting to many hard luck sPlaintories.....That's me till York now.
Pause Switch to Standard View Anybody else hate Chester...
Show More
Report ItsMeSwaddle May 3, 2022 5:42 PM BST
A bit less sicne I heard their new Lady spouting garbage on the TV
Report sixtwosix May 3, 2022 5:44 PM BST
I never bet nor watch the racing at this historic version of a greyhound track.
Report ItsMeSwaddle May 3, 2022 5:44 PM BST
"Well Chester is known for being the best day out in racing in the UK"
Report ItsMeSwaddle May 3, 2022 5:45 PM BST
"I am really looking forward to welcoming new people into racing, its such a welcoming sport"
Report ItsMeSwaddle May 3, 2022 5:46 PM BST
"Weve got 3 different racecourses, all with their different identities all offering value"
Report ItsMeSwaddle May 3, 2022 5:46 PM BST
April fools?
Report GEORGE.B May 3, 2022 5:59 PM BST
Which is one is Chester again, I always get it mixed up with Carlisle. Chester the one with the stiff uphill finish, right?
Report penzance May 3, 2022 6:02 PM BST
Chester can't be that bad a track, top trainers have
sent top class horses there.
Report Manoleeds May 3, 2022 6:04 PM BST
While some horses that are drawn wide develop mysterious illnesses overnight and are withdrawn, an outside draw is by no means fatal -and indeed a slow trapper in a low draw can find itself stuck behind a wall of horses having to switch round them or waiting for the cutaway if there is one. Stweart Simpson used to reckon that it was a good course for a topweight with a turn of foot for races between 7f and 12f if the ground was good or better . A lot better viewing than the straight mile at Donny.
Report scrabbler May 3, 2022 6:19 PM BST
Been to every UK racecourse. This would be at the bottom of my list in terms of value and racecourse experience.
Report sparrow May 3, 2022 6:37 PM BST
An awful experience to say the least.
Report acey deucy May 3, 2022 6:42 PM BST
Fanny aint bad though.Grin
Report swiftynifty May 3, 2022 6:51 PM BST
Ye, he's always been a great jockey around there.
Report SlippyBlue May 3, 2022 7:08 PM BST
Chester was on my bucket list of courses to visit but after reading the reviews from my peers on here over the last few years it's now never going to happen. It sounds absolutely dreadful to put it mildly.
Report mitolo May 3, 2022 7:36 PM BST
it is, but should not be. it has many advantages and attractions but all gets submerged by the numbers. and as for chesterbet...

last time i was there as a notfair guest and their box is bang on the line. i assumed it would be full of charming civilised people like me. not a bit of it. some prize erbert had his laptop out on the balcony and was hoovering as they went past. surprised nobody stopped him. the sherbet though, was excellent. i doubt it is nowadays.

but once you venture out of there its a scrum, and no fun at all. spent day 2 in the champagen tent and barely saw a horse despite the fact you could hear them rumbling past 10 yards away.
Report sparrow May 3, 2022 7:48 PM BST
I went once with my mates at an evening meeting and the place was full of drunks with their plastic beer mugs thrown all over the course. Even though I got all my money back in the last race I vowed never to return and that was about 30 years ago.
Report Hayden May 3, 2022 7:53 PM BST
Signing in , live fairly local but dreadful place.
Report GLASGOWCALLING May 3, 2022 11:15 PM BST
I live about a mile from the course, and I wouldn't go if it was free entry.
Report barstool May 3, 2022 11:33 PM BST
The best course to visit if you are an owner. You are well looked after and they put other racecourses to shame.
Report JayRogers May 4, 2022 12:05 AM BST
Not in my top 50, can't get nothing right there. Think Top Cees was last time I had a proper winner.
Town too small for a good night out too,always had better fun in Shrewsbury.
Report jimnast May 4, 2022 6:43 AM BST
Well it’s all about opinions I enjoy this fixture and have missed not been allowed to go these last two years ,41 years ago I saw Shergar win the vase a few years later old vic,unfuwain,belmez and toulon,all won the vase in the years that have passed the winners may not have been as good although ruler of the world did go on to win the derby,I accept the Saturday fixtures are for avoiding but these three days a very enjoyable.
Report jinxy May 4, 2022 7:47 AM BST
I stood on the bank on course and watched  Shergar come around the castle turn more than 10 lenghts clear in a canter !
Seen some class horses run at Chester  .
Report Life-Lucky May 4, 2022 7:49 AM BST
Went once, 5 or 10 years ago, Ladies Day, lots of legs and cleavage, didn't bother going in, watched it all from the street above, good enough
Report Brian May 4, 2022 8:14 AM BST
Had one of my worst days racing there at the 1975 May meeting. I had been doing a mini-tour of racing tracks and had done really well but Chester that day was a nightmare. I backed every race and don't think I got one in the frame, I remember a Walwyn 3-y-o was a strong fancy and Swell Fellow in one of the handicaps.
It was of three disaster days in my memory bank. The other two courses were Cheltenham and Epsom but I have had good days at those courses so don't hold grudges for them but never been back to Chester racecourse.
Report layingisthewayforward May 4, 2022 8:21 AM BST
No desire to go but always enjoyed watching thos meeting on the TV.
Report morpteh mackem May 4, 2022 8:53 AM BST
always looks full of people from reality tv shows
Report paulo47 May 4, 2022 10:29 AM BST
It gave me Wings of Eagles , cant ask for more .
Report wallis May 4, 2022 1:35 PM BST
A glorified dog track ... 

and now the wet weather is here no doubt we are in for some bizarre results if you can find them..
Report sageform May 4, 2022 1:51 PM BST
I would not go there but it is a fun track to watch. You are not obliged to back any of them.
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 May 4, 2022 2:03 PM BST
The crowd doesn't look as big as usual, rain has kept the scouse crumpet away, it doesn't mix very well with fake tan  (.)(.)
Report carrot1960 May 4, 2022 3:23 PM BST
Lucky enough to receive two  Chester tickets courtesy of Betfair a good few years back the tickets were £28 each , went to book two rail tickets only to find they cost £154 , sent the tickets back and watched the races on here , that was the closet i ever got to Chester on a race day LaughLaughLaugh
Report sageform May 4, 2022 3:42 PM BST
Probably cheaper in a taxi for two. How anyone can justify railways I can't imagine. Very expensive and heavily subsidised by tax payers as well!
Report The Pies May 4, 2022 3:49 PM BST
Not always expensive on rail Sage, going to Ascot from Nottingham on Friday for £26 return
Report .Marksman. May 4, 2022 3:49 PM BST
About 10 years ago I was offered a place in private box by purpleDaq.  But I didn't accept because I had no idea who these other people would be.  Perhaps they would be young executives from London or Dublin who worked for Daq and I would just be filling in a spare place and would have a miserable afternoon.  I think they just selected me because I was the only regular player in that area.  And I was also my Dad's full time carer at the time and that was another reason not to waste an afternoon.
Report TameTheTiger May 4, 2022 5:00 PM BST
3 bets, 2 winners, easy peasy
Report Storm Alert May 5, 2022 4:03 PM BST
Shyte track for punters. Suits pin-stickers and guessers; nothing I have seen this week to change my view.
Report jimnast May 5, 2022 5:31 PM BST
The pin stickers must be doing ok 8 favs 3 2nd favs out of 14 races.biggest priced winner 7/1
Report workrider May 5, 2022 6:04 PM BST
Jimnast...Laugh..Heading over for the week starting the 14th staying in Huntingdon, doing Newmarket , Huntingdon, Yarmouth , Chelmsford, you make any of them...It'll leave me with only FFos, Wolves, Hereford , to do. Have a feeling I might beat you...Cool
Report mitolo May 5, 2022 6:08 PM BST
you saved the worst until last there worky.
Report mitolo May 5, 2022 6:10 PM BST
if you are a pinsticker, shorely jollies going in is irrelevant?
Report MJK May 5, 2022 6:37 PM BST
Chester can't be that bad a track, top trainers have
sent top class horses there.

Obviously running for the prize money, not for the sake of having a top class horse run there. I mean would any trainer run a Group 1 horse at Epsom if it wasn't for the prize money of those races?
Report the dealer May 5, 2022 6:41 PM BST
Good horses can run anywhere
Report MJK May 5, 2022 6:47 PM BST
Of course they can. But why risk a horse on these sort of tracks if you didn't have to? How many Grade 1 jumpers would Willie Mullins send to Plumpton for instance? He would if there was a Championship race with the equivalent prize money of course. That's the point.
Report jimnast May 5, 2022 6:55 PM BST
Hello workrider unfortunately unlikely to be at any of those regarding the race I have just 3 also Wexford,Kilbeggan and Sligo.
Report the dealer May 5, 2022 6:58 PM BST
Is there a greater risk to a horse running at Chester compared to Newmarket ? I can't see ide noticed many breakdown at either. How many group 1 horses gave won at Newcastle ?
I can't see any reason why trainers wouldn't run at Chester, just my opinion.
Report TameTheTiger May 5, 2022 8:28 PM BST
2 days, 5 bets, 3 winners. Easy peasy
Report MJK May 5, 2022 8:56 PM BST
Dealer I take your point re safety. There would be very few horses that Chester would play to their strengths as most horses would act better on a more conventional track. But prize money dictates that horses are run there.
Report the dealer May 5, 2022 9:12 PM BST
Definitely, it's not a track that would play to the strengths to a lot of horses. I just think it's not that bad a track to run class horses at and not always because of the money, considering the potential group horses that have turned up at places like Dundalk, Newcastle etc where the prize money wasn't the reason.

Good luck.
Report penzance May 5, 2022 10:25 PM BST
Would any trainer run a horse anywhere but for the prize
money?
Report Steamship May 5, 2022 11:43 PM BST
29 years ago today I had £80 at 11/4 on Bashayer I was only earning £150 a week then. For those who don't remember or have never seen the race Carson kicked clear and eased only for them to be caught on the post by Abury. Never liked the place since.
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 May 6, 2022 12:15 AM BST
WD Steamship, anyone who can hold a grudge for 29 years is ok in my book!
Report LoyalHoncho May 6, 2022 3:42 AM BST
Jaysus!  You have my commiserations.  Most unlike Willie Carson.  I remember him making up the better part of ten lengths in the final furlong to win a mile race at Newmarket on a horse called Cistus.
Not keen on Chester either.  The way they bugger about with the rails too.  Disconcerting.
Report jimnast May 6, 2022 6:52 AM BST
Steamship did you forgive Carson ?
Report FELTFAIR May 6, 2022 1:14 PM BST
It was good enough for Shergar.
Report sageform May 6, 2022 2:01 PM BST
It seems to suit Coolmore horses by Galileo. 4 runners, 4 winners and not for the first time. All is well for me today as Andrew Balding and David Probert got over their seconditis-just.
Report MJK May 6, 2022 2:04 PM BST
It was good enough for Shergar

So was the prize money
Report the dealer May 6, 2022 2:30 PM BST
Maybe to the stable but I wouldn't have thought it influenced the owner.
Report SlippyBlue May 6, 2022 2:36 PM BST
Carson somehow managed to get Salsabil beat a short head at Newbury by Free At Last.

That was a long drive home after that race, I only went for that one horse who then went on to achieve greatness of course.
Report sageform May 6, 2022 3:21 PM BST
What a classic Chester Cup. Coltrane in the box seat but just beaten by the maestro. How much did that have in hand? Laid off Coltrane as soon as I saw Ryan creeping up the rail 2 out.
Report FELTFAIR May 6, 2022 4:20 PM BST
Had nothing to do with prize money. Stoute wanted to see how he coped with a tight turning left hand track before Epsom.
Report stu May 6, 2022 4:52 PM BST
75% of runners in big races don't even run a race so might as well have stayed at home.
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! May 9, 2022 1:37 PM BST
Attendance at Chester May meeting down by over a THIRD
Looks like the Chester CHAVS have turned
Devil
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com