Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
jimnast
01 May 22 12:01
| Topic/replies: 11,012 | Blogger: jimnast's blog
62 today how lucky those old enough were to have the privilege watching him ride.
Pause Switch to Standard View Steve Cauthen
Show More
Report ronnie rails May 1, 2022 12:15 PM BST
Jimnast.

The Kentucky Kid
looking  back all my good wins ap seemed to be ridden by him.

hope you are well.

regards

Ronnie.
Report sparrow May 1, 2022 12:21 PM BST
I remember watching his first winner over here Marquee Universal at Salisbury on the BBC.
Report ronnie rails May 1, 2022 12:25 PM BST
Sparrow
think he won the 1000 gs only  couple of days later in the Tony Shead colours.

hope you are well.

regards

Ronnie.
Report tyred May 1, 2022 12:25 PM BST
Steve Cauthen on Time Charter beating Sun Princess was my very first bet at 7/2 (tip from a friend)

years later when I knew a bit about form and prices, I heard John McCririck tell the story about how Time Charter had drifted from 6/4 because the Candy stable apparently had the virus, I'd never have had a bet if I knew anything about horses Happy
Report A_T May 1, 2022 12:26 PM BST
pleasure to watch - as was Walter Swinburn - noone that stylish riding today
Report tyred May 1, 2022 12:29 PM BST
Frankie is still stylish but I know he is not everyone's cuppa tea Crazy
Report stewarts rise May 1, 2022 12:30 PM BST
Ronnie Rails, it was the 2000gns he won for Mr Shead, Tap On Wood,about 20/1 I think, had an LBO then, cost me a load of dough, everyone backed it!
Report sparrow May 1, 2022 12:33 PM BST
Very well, thanks Ronnie.
Report lead on May 1, 2022 12:34 PM BST
must have taken a few quid on Kris,stewarts?...Young Generation too?
Report penzance May 1, 2022 12:39 PM BST
He was on Lycius who I backed at a big price
when just done by Mystiko in the 2000G.Bit of
a stamina doubt,if I remember rightly.Gave
it a cracker.Class act.
Report koikeeper May 1, 2022 12:42 PM BST
He was the best stable jock Cecil ever had.
Report stewarts rise May 1, 2022 12:43 PM BST
No Lead On, virtually every bet was on Cauthen in that gns!
Report tyred May 1, 2022 12:45 PM BST
was your bookies near where Barry Hills trained ?!
Report stewarts rise May 1, 2022 12:50 PM BST
No tyred, was in Brum, infact my partner took a lot of bets in his private members club whilst he was there and every single one was for Tap On Wood, all £1 ew to £5 ew, couldn't believe it.
Report sparrow May 1, 2022 12:57 PM BST
koikeeper 01 May 22 12:42 
He was the best stable jock Cecil ever had.

Apart from Lester of course.
Report MJK May 1, 2022 1:00 PM BST
A magical time for flat racing, Cauthen v Eddery. Oh So Sharp and the shocking Goode commentary Shocked
Report lead on May 1, 2022 1:04 PM BST
Golden age for jockeys then..Willie Carson as well as those mentioned...Willie Shoemaker wasn't bad on Hawaian Sound either..
Report geoff m May 1, 2022 1:12 PM BST
A true great was Steve .

But Lester did give him a riding lesson in one of the best pieces of race riding ive seen on Commanche Run beating the great Oh So Sharp in the
Benson & Hedges Gold Cup @ York.
Report acey deucy May 1, 2022 1:28 PM BST
Brilliant Jockey and from the front the best i have ever seen.
Report tyred May 1, 2022 1:34 PM BST
geoff m

Lester was taught a lesson by Bruce Raymond (of all people) in the Prince of Wales Crazy
Report sparrow May 1, 2022 1:37 PM BST
Its a good job this forum weren't going when Raymond was riding. Laugh
Report tyred May 1, 2022 1:44 PM BST
or Greville Starkey Shocked
Report jimnast May 1, 2022 5:22 PM BST
Good afternoon Ronnie

I am fine thanks hope your well to,like you many of my decent ap bets back then involved the Kentucky kid ,not surprising really we trusted both him and his boss.
Report onlooker May 1, 2022 5:27 PM BST
Appropriate that there is racing at SALISBURY today ...  Where Steve CAITHEN rode his first British Winner

Marquee Universal  - for Barry Hills

I]On very Heavy going - They came up the Stands side ...

I can see it now, jimnast ... Being - 'lucky' enough to remember Cauthen in his absolute prime.  Grin

A complete class act - as both a Jockey and a Man.
Report jimnast May 1, 2022 5:31 PM BST
Good afternoon Penzance

I was also on lycius at big prices and pressed on during the winter and the spring,even on the day backed him again without the favourite,

I stood on ground level just inside members that day,back then there were no big screens so all I could see through my binoculars were Steve and lycius going clear the cheering began and as he passed me 50 yards from the line I saw a brown hat right up against the rails and a photo was called,the game is great but can be cruel.

To this day I have never watched a race from that position since that afternoon
Report cufmos May 1, 2022 6:33 PM BST
Was living in Salisbury at the time and was my first visit to Salisbury Racecourse, Cauthen was pure class. Non stop rain could not ruin a day I shall never forget !
Report cufmos May 1, 2022 6:33 PM BST
Was living in Salisbury at the time and was my first visit to Salisbury Racecourse, Cauthen was pure class. Non stop rain could not ruin a day I shall never forget !
Report FOYLESWAR May 1, 2022 7:08 PM BST
wasnt he also called the 6 million dollar kid? seem to recall someone in the media  calling him that ! great jockey, clock in the head !
Report impossible123 May 1, 2022 7:16 PM BST
My friend and I went to a monday evening meeting in Windsor. And, he nearly ran over Cauthen as he crossed the road to the car park.

A very good jockey!
Report stewarty b May 1, 2022 7:57 PM BST
Cauthen, when riding for Cecil along with Piggott and Mercer were told beforehand if a horse they were riding for him would win. Not the classics to the best of my knowledge but races at the likes of the evening meetings at Windsor and other course.

I saw him ride at Edinburgh when he was neck and neck with Pat Eddery for the title. A pure genius.
Report stewarty b May 1, 2022 7:57 PM BST
* courses.
Report 1830 May 1, 2022 8:18 PM BST
Cant really comment on Jockeys before 1980 due to not seeing enough of them.
However I have to say in the last 40 years he was by far the best ive had the pleasure to watch.
People talk about judging pace or being in a good position, thats Bollox.
Its about them both together, track position in relation to the pace of the race.
He was unbelievable at riding from the front.
I also having my first ever ante post bet £5 each way on Slip Anchor t 16s for the Derby,won at 9/4 in a perfomance as good as Shergars.
At the time I was gutted when he left these Shores, however it was probably a perfectly judged decision.
I would be very suprised if anybody better comes along in my Lifetime or any other.
STEVE CAUTHEN AN ABSOLUTE LEGEND, happy Birthday lad.
Report The Knight May 1, 2022 10:57 PM BST
jimnast..well said indeed about Cauthen. Outside of Piggot, the best jockey I've ever seen and without peer out in the front.

Geoff M, do you think the Benson & Hedges of 1985 was better than the Leger of 1984?  Cauthen tried his utmost on Baynoun but Piggot was marvellous in how he just kept getting that bit more out of Commanche Run.

Last thing about Cauthen, surely the best jockey in history at using the whip? One crack, allow the horse two or three strides to see if responding, then another crack and so on. Today, Frankie seems to be using the whip in exactly the same way and its a pleasure to witness.
Report jimnast May 2, 2022 6:31 AM BST
Good morning foyles

He was indeed also known as the 6 million dollar kid the Americans like to give the sporting heroes more than one nickname.

Can anyone remember Thomas the hit man hearns original nickname ?
Report jimnast May 2, 2022 6:34 AM BST
Good morning the Knight

As you say what a pleasure frankie is to watch ,when he has finished he will be remembered by many with the same affection as Steve Cauthen .
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 May 2, 2022 7:16 AM BST
Motor City Cobra
Report jimnast May 2, 2022 7:44 AM BST
Correct gravy12
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 May 2, 2022 8:16 AM BST
Joe Frazier's nickname before 'Smokin Joe'?
Report jimnast May 2, 2022 8:54 AM BST
Another great boxer both smokin joe and the motor city cobra took park in some of boxings greatest fights.
Report geoff m May 2, 2022 9:43 AM BST
The Knight; I.M.O yes.
Lester had the problem of Oh So Sharp with a superior turn of foot sat in behind.
Most jocks would have blasted out with a really strong pace, but Lester set a steady pace and just kept winding it up when he hit the home straight all the way to the line .

Jimnast : Only ever been to 1 boxing event in my life .
Was staying @ Spa Hotel on edge of Manchester for a weekend break with family ,which coincided with Tommy Hearns fighting(Cruiserweight i think) on undercard of a Nassem Ahmed championship bout.
Had watched on TV all his great battles with Hagler/Leonard/Duran.
An oppourtunity not to be missed. He was the star of the show to me not Nasseem.
Report jimnast May 2, 2022 10:09 AM BST
Good morning Geoff

I very much doubt anyone around during the era of hearns,hagler,leonard and Duran would not agree it was by a million miles the greatest time to be watching boxing ,the use to show the fights at the Apollo in Manchester during the night they were always a sellout and the pubs and restaurants were buzzing prior to the doors opening,we all had our favourite but even so everyone would have total respect for the other 3.
Report The Knight May 2, 2022 10:37 AM BST
Morning jimnast and Geoff M,

Goeff M: Good point about the Benson & Hedges in 1985. What detracts just a little for me is that Oh So Sharp's turn of foot meant she had to be produced at exactly the right moment - the reason she lost the Diamond Stakes at Ascot the race before. Hit the front a touch too early - no fault of Cauthen's - and was run down near the line. But I do take your point about how Piggot had to be doubly aware of her lurking behind at York. Thinking about it, Piggot ride the horse the same way in the 1984 Leger!

Jimnast: Your point about boxing is spot on. Back in 1985 my dad, now long gone, went to the Oaks to see the brilliant Oh So Sharp destroy her field and then on to Loftus Rd to see Barry M win the world title with a mid-fight unleashing of explosive power. The crowd that night went beserk and the atmosphere was incredible. Still remains the most exciting sporting day of my life.

Trouble is, the younger brigade think we are being old codgers when we recall stuff but we know we really did see the best of so many, many things during the 1970's and 1980's!
Report ronnie rails May 2, 2022 10:43 AM BST
jimnast/knight

what a great era that was, used to go to the Odeon at Newcastle or Leeds to watch the fights as they weren't shown in Darlo

thinking back I had great nights in both cities, i remember singing along to the umpah band in the beer Keller's

sad to say those days are long gone.
Report The Knight May 2, 2022 10:45 AM BST
I should have said that I was with my dad at Epsom and then Loftus Rd back in 1985!!!
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 May 2, 2022 10:51 AM BST
Smokin Joe aka 'The Slaughterhouse Kid'
Report jimnast May 2, 2022 11:02 AM BST
Ronnie

I watched the Duran hagler fight at the odeon Leeds.

The Knight I remember that night at loftus road we watched the fight in a night club even though the fight took place around 9 pm which of course is early for a night club but they had what at the time was considered a big screen ,it was in fact just the size of a normal tele nowadays,but what an atmosphere in the club as well as at loftus road,he defeated a great champion that night.
Report jimnast May 2, 2022 11:04 AM BST
Sorry gravy 12 I misread your post I didn’t realise it was a question,I have to be honest I wouldn’t have known.
Report tyred May 2, 2022 11:09 AM BST
jimnast

I watched the Hagler vs John "the beast" Mugabi in Leicester Square Odeon and it was jam packed,

Mugabi was unbeaten and Hagler had been defending his title for 9 years and it was war from the first bell, they knocked seven bells out of each other every round until Hagler eventually finished it in the 11th round, the atmosphere was electric !

the full fight is on YouTube but here is the highlights if anyone's interested Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxuDdkFG-LM
Report jimnast May 2, 2022 12:43 PM BST
I remember the fight tyred although only saw it on regular tv after the event ,they were great nights I suppose those occasions ended when sky tv came in, they were good times as you say the atmosphere would always be electric.
Report stewarts rise May 2, 2022 12:53 PM BST
Great fights indeed from a golden era but watching the 3 part Muhammed Ali documentary was very sad viewing in the end, so many great boxers never the same after those epic battles.
Report tyred May 2, 2022 12:56 PM BST
being pounded on the head for a couple of decades does have its drawbacks !
Report sparrow May 2, 2022 12:56 PM BST
The 70s were easily the greatest era for the heavyweight division.
Report second again May 2, 2022 1:10 PM BST
Oh so Sharp won the 1,000 Guineas in a 3 way photo,she needed every yard to win.She won the Oaks by 6 lengths.Although Commanche Run had won the St Leger he was thought to be better at 10 furlongs.I heard at the time that Lester and Luca watched her classics a few times and decided that the best wat to get her beat was to make as near a mile race as possible,the more it was made a stamina test the more it would suit the filly.How would you have priced the race if you had known that?
Report jimnast May 2, 2022 1:20 PM BST
No doubt about that sparrow,however I have enjoyed the Tyson fury era.
Report Greenacres May 2, 2022 2:07 PM BST
Is my memory serving me correctly? Did Steve Cauthen ride a classic winner then fly up to Pontefract to ride a winner at an evening meeting? Seem to remember seeing him there one night....
Report sparrow May 2, 2022 2:11 PM BST
jimnast 02 May 22 13:20 
No doubt about that sparrow,however I have enjoyed the Tyson fury era.

Can't say I rated any of them after Lennox Lewis, jimnast.
Report jimnast May 3, 2022 7:16 AM BST
Back to Steve Cauthen I remember back in the late 80s he was due to ride a Henry Cecil trained favourite in the ascot gold cup however the heavens opened overnight and news was getting out he would switch to the stables 2 nd string paean,around a 16/1 chance this was before the bookmakers had the technology they have now and punters had the chance to occasionally beat them,paean was sent off around 5/1 and destroyed the field .
Report tyred May 3, 2022 9:29 AM BST
I had a friend who hated Cauthen for a brief period in the early 90s

he'd been backing Marling for the 1000 guineas ever since her Cheveley Park victory and had a clutch of ante post bets that would've netted him thousands had Marling/Cauthen got up and won after meeting trouble and finishing fast for a head defeat !

of course, she went on to win her next 3 and be champion miler that season which didn't help Happy
Report HallGreenSpy May 3, 2022 3:17 PM BST
Couldn't agree more with 1830 post re Cauthen. And what seems to be most on here. Brilliant jockey in brilliant times.
Report HallGreenSpy May 3, 2022 3:17 PM BST
1830 the poster not the time Happy
Report ringlets May 3, 2022 10:39 PM BST
I was fortunate enough to have several ante post bets on Mighty Fly to win the Lincoln in 1983.I was delighted when Mr Cauthen rode the perfect race to win easily.Superb Jockey.I did tell my local pub landlord to have a bit on,I never had as many drinks bought for me as I got that nigh,he must have told the entire pub.
Report onlooker May 4, 2022 6:11 PM BST
ringlets -

- or - are you actually - John ?

If so - Great to see you posting on here - as you would have been 50 years old when Mighty Fly won the Lincoln. Happy

Were you 'On Duty' at Doncaster that day?

Always wondered, too ... Are you - or, if not, Him - a descendant of the famous Racehorse Portrait Painter ?
Report ringlets May 5, 2022 9:49 PM BST
onlooker.,
Sorry to say I am not John Stubbs,although I did meet him in a restaurant,in Newcastle one night after a Greyhound I was connected with had won an Open up there.He was great company as well as being a gent.Neither am I a descendant of the painter
Report ronnie rails May 5, 2022 9:54 PM BST
Ringlets

loved  Wormwoods articles.

regards

Ronnie.
Report LoyalHoncho May 5, 2022 11:15 PM BST
I don;t know why people get so outraged by commentaries/tators.  They don;t influence the outcome of a race and the mute button is always there.
Get the colours, switch the mute on and judge the race - for yourself.
One of Goods's commentaries sticks out for ever for me.  Wish he was still here.
Report HallGreenSpy May 5, 2022 11:47 PM BST
I didn't mind Goode tbf. In fact he was very good early days, just not in the league of Peter O'Sullevan, but then who was in them days? Never forget OH SO SHARP WINS THE LEGGGGER!
Report HallGreenSpy May 5, 2022 11:48 PM BST
Look at what we got now, he don't look/sound too bad do he?
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 May 18, 2022 10:50 AM BST
Steve joining ITV for derby day!
Report G Hall May 18, 2022 11:08 AM BST
I fondly remember the newspaper headline

"Proceed with Cauthen"

It was a clever use of words.
Report acey deucy May 18, 2022 11:37 AM BST
Laugh
Report sixtwosix May 18, 2022 3:16 PM BST
Good to hear he is part of the tv coverage ......shame about most of the other hapless box ticking 'experts' we will have to suffer.
There have been few better jockeys than the Kentucky Kid and even less who are good to listen to as well.
I was fortunate enough to be stood near the winning line when he won the St Leger on fillies triple crown heroine Oh So Sharp ....a great era of flat racing.
Report SlippyBlue May 18, 2022 3:40 PM BST
What a wonderful memory that must be 626, Oh So Sharp is one of my favourite horses of all time.
Report foxy top May 18, 2022 3:42 PM BST
that 3 way photo would've caused mayhem on here, never looked like she'd won Grin
Report foxy top May 18, 2022 3:43 PM BST
p.s. I know it wasn't the race 626 is talking about obviously Crazy
Report jimnast May 18, 2022 5:24 PM BST
1000 Guineas foxy
Report jimnast May 18, 2022 5:25 PM BST
On a Thursday back then
Report jimnast May 18, 2022 5:26 PM BST
The runner up that day has a gallop named after her in Newmarket.
Report foxy top May 18, 2022 5:41 PM BST
Al Bahathri and Bella Colora from memory !
Report jimnast May 18, 2022 5:52 PM BST
That’s correct foxy I sometimes think it was milligram who was 3rd for some reason
Report foxy top May 18, 2022 6:30 PM BST
might've been, unless I check, I really don't remember as both were trained by Stoute Grin
Report sixtwosix May 18, 2022 7:05 PM BST
What a wonderful memory that must be 626

It is Slippy ... I bought drawings of Ardross and the Dickinson Famous Five that day....they have been on the wall on the stairs ever since.
Report geoff m May 18, 2022 8:10 PM BST
626 do you mind me asking who the drawings are by?
As ive been walking today with a great friend of mine who is a racehorse artist and could well be a couple of his.
Report geoff m May 18, 2022 8:11 PM BST
If you bought them @ the Leger then it would be him.!!
Report sixtwosix May 18, 2022 8:33 PM BST
Geoff ....hard to read but ...N W Brunwee ....or something similar.
Report geoff m May 18, 2022 9:16 PM BST
Cheers 626.
Thought so. What a coincidence.
Had a wonderful walk with him this morning out in the Peak District. Not just a talented artist but a great guy as well.
Have 3 drawings Shergar/Sharpo & Troy and a pastel of Shadeed adorning the walls.
Been friends for 40 odd years thro the love of horse racing.
Wasnt far off its Brunyee.
Report sixtwosix May 18, 2022 9:21 PM BST
Thanks Geoff ....
Report The Knight May 18, 2022 9:53 PM BST
geoff m,

I have a print of a portrait of Nashwan done by Brunyee the horse had won the Diamond Stakes at Ascot. Raally interesting because the guy that sold me it started the firm that his son now runs. His father actually commissioned the Nashwan prints to Nigel.

They have a concession at York and each time I go there I talk to the son because I was one of the firm's first customers way back in the mid-1980's.

Last year the son was very interested to know that one of the prints of Nashwan was in the members bar at Brighton races, well it was the last time I went there over 10 year ago. But in return, the son told me that a few weeks after his father had taken delivery of the prints, Sheik Hamdan walked by at Newmarket and stopped to look at them.

A few minutes later, one of the Sheik's aides came back and, upon the instructions of his boss, bought up all the prints because the Sheilk wanted to use the as gifts for people he knew. I wonder if Nigel knew of this?
Report penzance May 18, 2022 11:27 PM BST
Paid £3 for one down Romford Mkt about 20yr ago.
Cauthen on Reference Point by NW Brunyee.
Report jimnast May 19, 2022 7:35 AM BST
Good morning  Geoff I hadn’t realised there was a print/drawing of sharpo he as a great favourite of mine.

Good morning foxy you was right with Bella colora it’s me who gets her mixed up with milligram.
Report foxy top May 19, 2022 10:07 AM BST
Sharpo brings back memories of Never So Bold, Habibti and co Happy
Report jimnast May 19, 2022 10:21 AM BST
Huge price sharpo when he won the temple stakes which was then ran at sandown,my favourite memory of him was the day he won the July cup went from Newmarket to Perry bar dogs and watched west Germany France World Cup semi final at a greyhound track then a curry in Birmingham afterwards happy days when the world was young.
Report sparrow May 19, 2022 11:22 AM BST
Great soft ground sire Sharpo.
Report geoff m May 19, 2022 3:23 PM BST
Hi Jimnast was also there when he won July Cup ,think Indian King of Harwoods probably went off fav.
With regards to the Sharpo drawing it was 1 my wife commissioned off Nigel for a birthday present.

Im not sure hes aware of that The Knight , but  will ask him next walk in a couple of weeks.

Hes semi retired now .Used to be a regular under the stand @ Donny.
Report jimnast May 19, 2022 5:23 PM BST
Hi Geoff yes I think Indian king was favourite sharpo was a fair price around 6 or 7/1 I recall funny how these things come up on the good threads on here when sharpo won his 3rd nunthorpe (William hill sprint at the time)the jockey was who this thread is about,I remember him saying something like I’ve never been as fast on a horse.
Report jimnast May 19, 2022 5:28 PM BST
It was without question the best era of sprinters we had sharpo ,moorstyle,habidti,Indian king ,chief singer,never so bold ,adjal green desert and my favourite marwell all around in the early to mid 80s bit like the boxing really.
Report geoff m May 19, 2022 6:21 PM BST
Yes Sharpo was a cracking price Jimnast .
I guessed 13/2 or 15/2 for some reason the 1/2 point sticks in me head.
Think the market thought the ground was too fast as he did like some cut.
Had a lethal turn of foot on his day.
Report foxy top May 20, 2022 11:42 AM BST
talking about sprinters of that era, I remember one in Robert Sangster colours, was it Commited or another one I am thinking of !
Report acey deucy May 20, 2022 11:57 AM BST
Yes Cauthen was all style one of the very best.
Report G Hall May 20, 2022 12:11 PM BST
Committed it was foxy.

I also had a favourite probably only a handicapper from mid 80's

Jonacris

I also have fond memories of the late Dougie Fraser

"Russian Winter making rapid late headway" another old favourite.
Report foxy top May 20, 2022 12:57 PM BST
Aah, Committed with 2 Tees, there's even a wikipedia page, great memories of great battles !
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com