Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
GEORGE.B
26 Apr 22 10:22
| Topic/replies: 53,144 | Blogger: GEORGE.B's blog
"Soaring overseas prize money heaps more pressure on British racing"

is the headline on page 7 of the RP.

Turn to page 21 for the Nottingham card and Nottingham / British EBF have put on a £55K fillies and mares Listed race - 5 bother to turn up for it Crazy
Pause Switch to Standard View All this talk of poor prize money levels
Show More
Report GEORGE.B April 26, 2022 10:24 AM BST
and one of them is only rated 73.
Report The Management April 26, 2022 10:32 AM BST
The one that is rated just 73 (Lasting Legacy 16:05) currently appears to be the subject of a gamble, Or it is a NR and somebody is trying to manipulate the reduction factor.
Report TheAnorak April 26, 2022 10:56 AM BST
How many 10F 4yo+ fillies/mares rated 90+ do you think there are in training? Blaming whoever it is you're blaming (presumably owners and trainers) for the small field is pointless, when you're talking about a race that 99% of horses in training aren't qualified for it.

The BHA in their wisdom, have spent the last ten years extending the program of races for older fillies, this is the result. The Group 2 for the same small group of horses at Newmarket on Sunday has just 8 entries.

One other point - this race has been run in early June since being transferred here when Warwick gave up flat racing, a date which produced 8 runners last year, so why move it.
Report stewarty b April 26, 2022 11:03 AM BST
I had a look at this race due to the thread GEORGE and have came to the conclusion that Angel Power will give me a good run for my money. I will also be keeping a beady eye on the place market.

NR not my favourite subject at present TM but thanks for attempting to pull me out of the proverbial.
Report The Management April 26, 2022 11:10 AM BST
I did it myself one time stewarty ("created" my own non-runner) - while test driving a new pair of varifocals.

Mine won the race as well!
Report GEORGE.B April 26, 2022 11:14 AM BST
Good luck, stewy.

So what you're saying Anorak, is that they've put on a £55K f & m Listed race when they knew that only 5 horses were qualified for it?
Report GEORGE.B April 26, 2022 11:20 AM BST
One other point - this race has been run in early June since being transferred here when Warwick gave up flat racing, a date which produced 8 runners last year, so why move it.

Proximity to Royal Ascot?
Report TheAnorak April 26, 2022 11:24 AM BST
No, and how you get that from what I wrote is beyond me.

Can we first agree that there are only a small number of 4yo+ fillies and mares in training with a rating that would justify an entry in a Listed race? More than 5 obviously, but they are dipping into a shallow pool. My guess would be around one hundred, but it's only a guess - and many of those would be sprinters, milers, stayers, not 10F performers. And some of them would be better than Listed class, like the ones entered in the Group 2 at Newmarket this weekend.

I own two horses, both older handicappers, both geldings, both rated in the 70's. So it makes no difference to me how much prize money is offered for a fillies Listed race, they could make it worth half a million and I'm still not going to have a runner.

How many runners do you think a race should have?
Report TheAnorak April 26, 2022 11:26 AM BST
There are no fillies Listed races at Royal Ascot, so no clash. Warwick usd ro run this same race at their Monday evening meeting at the start of Ascot week.
Report elise April 26, 2022 11:26 AM BST
on the money thing (and also restricting the entries further) it's ebf who stick up money and that means only ebf eligible animals can run (as in by an ebf reg stallion)
Report GEORGE.B April 26, 2022 11:34 AM BST
TheAnorak 26 Apr 22 11:26 
There are no fillies Listed races at Royal Ascot, so no clash. Warwick usd ro run this same race at their Monday evening meeting at the start of Ascot week.

Maybe no Listed races for fillies, but there is the Sandringham Handicap, albeit over a mile, or they may be tempted by one of the other handicaps, or even one of the Group races. So there are options at RA for fillies rated around 100.
Report GEORGE.B April 26, 2022 11:43 AM BST
Anyone know how many fillies / mares rated, say 85 +, and winners from one mile to 12f, would be eligible for this race?

TIA
Report youresomean April 26, 2022 12:45 PM BST
When the race was framed, who new that we would have the driest April ever and the going would be good to firm.
Report youresomean April 26, 2022 12:46 PM BST
oops. knew
Report stewarty b April 26, 2022 3:10 PM BST
I'm backing my selection GEORGE and hopefully cover it with a place which could turn out expensive.

Fancy anything your good self?
Report GEORGE.B April 26, 2022 3:40 PM BST
No strong fancies, stewy, just some 'half-fancies'.

A couple of new recruits for Jim Goldie at Ayr appeal as the sorts he'll win races with.

Shine On Brendan (5.10), had a wind op ahead of its stable debut, weak in the betting so far, so whether this will be the day to catch it, not sure.

Kracken Power (6.15) has already had a pipe opener for Jim and has shortened markedly in the betting, was 11s this morning, now as short as 3-1.

I also included Silver Dollar (4.23 Yarmouth) in an EW Trixie, but trap 1 a worry with the stands rail looking favoured there today on the straight course.
Report stewarty b April 26, 2022 3:44 PM BST
GL GEORGE.
Report GEORGE.B April 26, 2022 3:47 PM BST
thank you stewy.
Report stewarty b April 26, 2022 4:11 PM BST
No luck GEORGE. Thought she was going to do it for a while. No place a bummer.
Report GEORGE.B April 26, 2022 4:13 PM BST
unlucky stewy
Report stewarty b April 26, 2022 5:09 PM BST
Shine On Brendan being backed GEORGE. Sorely tempted but don't want to be a jonah. A wee win.
Report GEORGE.B April 26, 2022 5:24 PM BST
looked from the side on like he wasn't done any favours by Corndavon Lad hanging into him and carrying him left, probably cost him second at least imo
Report cacique April 26, 2022 6:14 PM BST
TheAnorak • April 26, 2022 10:56 AM BS
The BHA in their wisdom, have spent the last ten years extending the program of races for older fillies, this is the result.

What is the point in fillies races other than to give easy black type to a horse that finished 2nd last in a four runner race?

Nassau/Sun Chariot/British Champions Fillies' and Mares' Stakes are completely pointless G1's
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com