Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
impossible123
03 Apr 22 16:18
| Topic/replies: 21,640 | Blogger: impossible123's blog
A friend had a £10 win bet on Win My Wings at 10/1 in the Scottish National yesterday. When he went to collect at the counter he was told it was a deadheat; payout £24.50 instead of £90. The bloke at the counter had settled it at £2.50ew at 13/2.

My friend was flabbergasted, and acted so - he raised his voice. The bookie bloke told him not to raise his voice. Do you think the bookie bloke was trying it on, or genuinely clueless and had made a mistake?

Could that be possible given epos?
Pause Switch to Standard View PaddyPower (Morden)
Show More
Report dave1357 April 3, 2022 4:21 PM BST
Did your friend bet unnamed favourite?
Report dave1357 April 3, 2022 4:26 PM BST
sorry that would be £25 anyway - doesn't seem any rational explanation.
Report impossible123 April 3, 2022 4:26 PM BST
Nope. He named the horse and took 8/1 - it returned 13/2 cf of 3.

What annoyed my friend most was the bookie bloke told him it was a deadheat - the horse won easily. How'd the bookie bloke (Asian) make that mistake, and settle it wrongly despite name and 8/1 were written on the slip. Both staff were Asian. Clueless?
Report impossible123 April 3, 2022 4:29 PM BST
Sorry, I meant 8/1 (not 10/1).
Report jimnast April 3, 2022 4:30 PM BST
I would have thought the days of settlers in betting offices were over just central office settling all bets automatically.I may well be wrong however I am sure Ronnie can confirm either way.

But as Dave says there can’t really be a rational explanation.
Report dave1357 April 3, 2022 4:32 PM BST
22.50 would be 90/4 but why he thought it was a 4 way dead heat - fk nose
Report layingisthewayforward April 3, 2022 4:34 PM BST
Sounds like your mate c0cked up writing the slip out imo.
Report impossible123 April 3, 2022 4:36 PM BST
Indeed. No rational explanation, and to be told it was a deadheat made his blood boiled.
Report onlooker April 3, 2022 5:40 PM BST
Most likely that the Asian guy said "Dead-Heat" - meaning 'Joint-favs'  ...

Trying to explain the Low Payout (Settled Not by HIM - But by HQ) - Who may have, somehow, settled the bet as £10 on Unnamed FAV

£10 on Unnamed Fav = £3.33 at 13/2 = £24.97 Return

You say - He had settled it as - an "each way" bet ...

Somewhat coincidently .... £5 EW on Unnamed FAV = £24.90 Return - including the 2nd Place horse - who  was co/Fav too.

BUT - That is at the 8/1 Price  ("taken")... and you Cannot 'take a Price' on an Unnamed Fav, though Happy

Nearest I can get.

Need to ask your friend again - Just what was his bet?
Report 1st time poster April 3, 2022 5:44 PM BST
if he did put fav to be fair ne,s had a right result as the winner never looked like been any type of fav till tapes went up
Report slickster April 3, 2022 5:51 PM BST
April fools day is long gone ffs. A simple 10er on the winner at 8s is 90 returns. Finito. Going on about dead heats etc. Cop on ffs
Report 1st time poster April 3, 2022 6:00 PM BST
so did he get his £90 if so its a non story
Report impossible123 April 3, 2022 6:23 PM BST
My friend popped into PaddyPower Morden (next to Stanley) to use the loo, and put a £10 bet at 8/1. At the counter to collect he was told it was a deadheat; payout £22.50 or £24.50 (not £90) as it should have been; my friend does not do ew.

Maybe head office needs to have a word with the bookie bloke for an explanation eg why a deadheat or £22.50 (or £24.50) as he claimed. I hope the bookie bloke made a genuine mistake with my friend (not others too); my friend is not a regular there.
Report dave1357 April 3, 2022 6:25 PM BST
onlooker • April 3, 2022 5:40 PM BST

Many a mickle makes a muckle Wink 1/3 return is surely more accurate.
Report 1st time poster April 3, 2022 6:35 PM BST
not sure what their descriptions have to do with it so they admitted a mistake and paid him £90, only happens a 100 times a day
Report casemoney April 3, 2022 6:59 PM BST
I have punted in There , Used to go in the Boozer Ganleys Grin
Report impossible123 April 3, 2022 7:08 PM BST
Ganley (not Stanley the bookie) virtually opposite Sainsbury. I popped into the same bookie to watch Shishkin win the Supreme; staff then were different. At the far end by the roundabout another boozer; opposite a West Indian selling tasty jerk-chicken from a tent.
Report s.kenbo April 3, 2022 7:40 PM BST
Your mate put a tenner on the ‘unnamed fav’.

He didn’t name the horse, he didn’t take a price. It may have been the sole favourite when he looked at the screen and wrote his bet. But by the off it was a co-fav.
Report impossible123 April 3, 2022 8:02 PM BST
No! He named the horse and he took 8/1 for a £10. What annoyed my friend most was the bookie bloke told him there was a deadheat. My friend was also told to keep his voice down when he questioned and refuted him about the deadheat.

How'd the bookie bloke get it so wrong? I cannot envisage the (human) settlers at head office making such an elementary mistake unless someone had the same experience at another PaddyPower shop.
Report 1st time poster April 3, 2022 8:06 PM BST
FFS did he get his £90 and if the stories true ,they admitted a mistake and paid him out happens a 1000 times a week, biggest non story since gary flitcroft was named as EPL star with a court order out

HAS HE BEEN PAID FOOKING  OUT YES / NO
Report s.kenbo April 3, 2022 8:37 PM BST
If the cashier (Asian apparently!!!) was going to try and scam customers, then this bet was certainly one he wouldn’t try. If the bet was written out as you say then it is as clear as day what the payout is. I still think he backed the unnamed fav. If he walked away without £90, then he’s definitely not bright enough to relay the correct story to you.

Has he been paid the £90?
Report s.kenbo April 3, 2022 8:41 PM BST
Betting shop punters are always complaining to me about their bad luck, being paid out incorrectly etc etc. it isn’t until I ask them a few obvious questions that the full truth starts to come out.

A lot of people are pretty thick. Punters who don’t know what their bet returns before they go to collect are even thicker.
Report ronnie rails April 3, 2022 8:56 PM BST
S Kembo
if i had a pound for every punter who has asked me is there anything back off these slips i would have my grand back.

hope you are well
regards
Ronnie.
Report irishone April 3, 2022 8:59 PM BST
More micro racism
Suggesting asians cant settle bets
Clueless at first  ? Then scammers ?
Yeah lets label all asians in betting shops as clueless
Lets label ganleys as an irish pub as well eh ... While we are at it ...
Opposite sainsburys ...the bastion of british bred supermarkets
.... Mostly owned by the quatar royal family
At the end of the Northetn Line whoch is black on the map of the tube dont forget .....
Rancid racism alive and well on the betfair forum
Report Hibore April 3, 2022 9:08 PM BST
irishone 03 Apr 22 20:59 Joined: 22 Sep 06

More micro rascism.
Lets label ganleys as an irish pub as well eh ... While we are at it ...
Rancid racism alive and well on the betfair forum

What you mean Ganleysirishbar.co.uk LaughLaughLaughLaugh

Ronnie, I think we have found one of those punters who asks if there is anything to come back on his 10p lucky 15.
Report onlooker April 3, 2022 9:53 PM BST
dave1357 03 Apr 22 18:25 
onlooker • April 3, 2022 5:40 PM BST

Many a mickle makes a muckle Wink 1/3 return is surely more accurate.
-----------------------

NO - dave1357'

Don't think you will find Bookies Settle like that.

The Correct way to settle a Dead-Heat - or Joint/Favs -  is to Split the STAKE (proportionately - and NOT the ODDS

Thus a Third of £10 would equate to £3.33 on each horse - which adds up to £9.99 Staked

AS an Example ... In a Dead-Heat ...

£100 on a 4/1 Dead-Heater - becomes - £50 at 4/1 = and £50 Stake Returned  =  £250 RETURN - (the Other £50 Stake having LOST)

Halving the ODDS (instead) - would give ... £100 at 2/1 and £100 Stake Returned = £300 ... which an INCORRECT  Return.
Report dave1357 April 3, 2022 10:35 PM BST
The return on £10 @13/2 is £75 dividing that by 3 is £25

£100 on a 4/1 is a return of £500, half that is £250

Where did I mention halving the odds?
Report onlooker April 4, 2022 12:18 AM BST
Agreed - Re-Reading your post - You did Not mention Odds

My misinterpretation Sad - and an Apology.

On the plus side - My Explanation make enlighten some others in the Dead-Heat scenario, though - as  many Do make the Dead-Heat settlement mistake of Halving the Odds.
-------------

Would not be at all surprised, too - If the Bookies EPOS Settlement Algorithm is written to Divide the Stake - and then 'Round-Down' the £3.33.3333333 (recurring) to £3.33  - it being less then 3.3350.  ....

- and then give a RETURN of £24.97   Grin

As we all know - They give Nothing away.
Report GLASGOWCALLING April 4, 2022 5:39 AM BST
Strange, so your friend had a win bet settled e/way at a price lower
than what was stated on the slip.?????
The whole thing sounds farcical. So what happened in the end.??
Report Life-Lucky April 4, 2022 7:26 AM BST
"micro racism"? Dats Waycissssss!
Report dave1357 April 4, 2022 8:42 AM BST
np onlooker - speed mis-reading is something I'm not immune to either
Report Manoleeds April 4, 2022 8:49 AM BST
Are we ever going to find out if the friend got £90 or not?
Report 1st time poster April 4, 2022 9:54 AM BST
while we wait for an answer gary flitcroft was the premier lg star who took out a court injuction to try and avoid it appearing in MSM LaughLaugh
Report impossible123 April 4, 2022 1:58 PM BST
My friend was eventually paid £90 - the correct amount. He was told to keep his voice down when he protested it was not a deadheat, and he'd £10 to win at 8/1. It was a very straightforward bet written out with no ambiguity; just what he was told and interpretation by the bookie bloke at the collection counter that annoyed him enormously.

Also, my friend is a seasoned punter, but not in that shop; he's a naturalised UK citizen. If that was a genuine mistake - fine. Otherwise maybe a possible concern for PaddyPower eg a referral to past customers/bet/payslip alterations.

I trust bookie blokes esp the informed ones eg manager (not fobt custodians). And, I always work out my return prior collection.
Report lead on April 4, 2022 2:10 PM BST
the system settles bets ...  that manager guy was at it..somehow keeping bets back for himself..should be reported
Report the dealer April 4, 2022 2:24 PM BST
The system only settles what has been inputed in, if that's wrong then the settlement will be wrong.

The whole story for me has iffy written all over it.
Report 1st time poster April 4, 2022 2:37 PM BST
bookies read this forum your accusing staff of been thieves imagine their jobs are on the line,lets hope this isnt a fairytale,
Report impossible123 April 4, 2022 3:22 PM BST
My friend only told me because he knew I used this forum, and I'm posting with his authorisation. He thought what the bookie bloke said about the result was "fishy" and probably disingenuous too. My friend might seem (to the bookie bloke) to be a 1st time punter there but he's not; no spring chicken either to horseracing and bets.
Report RoyalAcademy April 4, 2022 3:53 PM BST
I feel your pain, man.

"asians" and "naturalised UK citizen"
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com