Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
stewarty b
27 Mar 22 14:51
| Topic/replies: 35,097 | Blogger: stewarty b's blog
It was miss stew who actually took her. She's 13 now. (the dog) Anyways it cost about a ton and the vet mentioned her teeth could be doing with a clean. I tried once but to no avail she would have to be knocked out.

I asked miss stew how much. £375. Really? She's in no pain and I don't do rip offs. Is this a normal fee?
Pause Switch to Standard View Took my dog to the vet for her annual...
Show More
Report jimnast March 27, 2022 2:54 PM BST
Scandalous what vets charge stewarty many can’t afford it but care deeply for there pets they just find the money.
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 March 27, 2022 2:55 PM BST
I didn't know dogs could get Covid or that they had to be jabbed. That Sturgeon bloke has lost his marbles!
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk March 27, 2022 2:59 PM BST
Took mine to have a teeth cleaning
£350
If they had to do an extraction it would've been another £300 Shocked
Report stewarty b March 27, 2022 3:00 PM BST
I can afford it jimnast but it's hardly cosmetic for a dog. Had I taken her to the vet I would have asked if dentures were included in that price. (seriously)
Report FOYLESWAR March 27, 2022 3:00 PM BST
it probably is about right stewy they know how important a dog is to people especially woman ,so they can charge what they like and most will stump up ,its a fookin racket tbh . my missus was paying near £50 a pop for a course of medicines for her ****u she had laid out near a ton for 2 lots in little bottles ,it wasnt untill she mentioned to me the price fook me if i am ill she says theres fook all wrong with ya ,but her dogs only gotta loook off colour or quiet and she can t get em to the vet quick enough ,anyway i said look on the internet see if they  have that medicene  on there they did and a bigger bottle £13 ....................lovely i said order a few of them! ...........did she fook ,she said i am not giving that to my dogs it might be fake !
Report FOYLESWAR March 27, 2022 3:01 PM BST
s h i tzu^^
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk March 27, 2022 3:01 PM BST
Sprinkle "plaque off" on their food
Helps keep it away
Plaque can crumble and be absorbed into the blood which is much more dangerous for a dog than people.
Report stewarty b March 27, 2022 3:04 PM BST
cuckoo, from what info I've read up on dogs hardly get toothache, the tooth just falls out. That said if infection is suspected then that would be an emergency.
Report FOYLESWAR March 27, 2022 3:04 PM BST
saying that £300 every noww and again ,we probably do much more  that on other 4 legged animals ....ones with a little bloke on top!
Report jimnast March 27, 2022 3:10 PM BST
I wasn’t suggesting you couldn’t afford stewarty but many can’t but vets know most will find it.

What kind of dog do you have
Report stewarty b March 27, 2022 3:12 PM BST
Although 13 now if my dog was seriously ill I would pay the 'supervet' Noel his asking price. He performs miracles.

I kid not but I've lost friends and associates that the hurt would pale into comparison as to losing my dog.
Report stewarty b March 27, 2022 3:17 PM BST
She's a cross jimnast. Wee Shetland collie and Jack Russell. Best £90 I've ever parted with. That said, It cost me a few quid when I took miss stew out on our first date.Wink
Report jimnast March 27, 2022 3:20 PM BST
I use to have dogs stewarty my last one sinndar died when only 5 it’s was unbelievabley upsetting for all the family so we haven’t had one since ,still make a fuss of dogs all the time but our days are over for having our own.
Report stewarty b March 27, 2022 3:24 PM BST
I know the time will come jimnast but I can't see a replacement on the cards. Mind you, I've replaced a good few women.
Report dustybin March 27, 2022 3:37 PM BST
They clean dog's teeth nowadays?
I grew up around dogs and Im sure they just used to chuck em a jumbone

In fact where I was from they used to open the front door in the morning and youd not see the dog again till after dark.
Its a mad world now people wearing dog poo as jewelry or hanging it from tree branches in plastic bags.

To think the dog was just a hybrid of the wolf, you see the insanity levels of the human when you see how they changed it into al the crazy handbag dog types.
How the f00k do you get a chuwawa out of a wolf?
Report saddo March 27, 2022 3:41 PM BST
Stomach pump, or surgery if that fails.
Report stewarty b March 27, 2022 3:41 PM BST
How the f00k do you get a chuwawa out of a wolf?

I genuinely know the answer to that one dust. Many moons ago they fed wolfs  scraps. Strange but true.
Report barstool March 27, 2022 3:44 PM BST
Get a knuckle bone off the butchers and boil it. Otherwise the dog will leave it until the flesh on it rots.

Gnawing at these every week or so will keep the dogs teeth in perfect order.

Avoid ribs or any brittle bones as peices can get tsuck in the throat or swallowed.
Report jmdc March 27, 2022 3:47 PM BST
Stewy, don’t pay anything for a dental clean under anaesthetic, there are plenty of alternatives. I found that Dentalife treats do the job quite adequately, my vet even admitting that my cats’ teeth are remarkably improved for them. Also Plaque Off on their food is available from Animed and a bag of Hills Oral Care is lovingly digested.
Report jmdc March 27, 2022 3:48 PM BST
Beware of knuckle bones, they grind the dog’s teeth away!
Report MJK March 27, 2022 3:51 PM BST
No matter what problem you bring a dog to the vet with they always say the teeth needs eating. Then tell you you should take out yearly insurance with them for the dog.
Report MJK March 27, 2022 3:52 PM BST
* cleaning (eatingLaugh)
Report vantastic54 March 27, 2022 9:02 PM BST
My dog is a Jack Russel had to get both cruciates done recently.2800 euros plus ancillary costs of circa 700.Fcuk me its expensive.His name is Gnasher,i love the little fcucker.
Report SlippyBlue March 27, 2022 9:54 PM BST
The vet bill for my Muttley must easily be over £50 grand, he's 11 now.
As a pup he got diagnosed with meningitis and lost the use of his hind legs and couldn't wag his tail. So, off to the only place that could save him that being ",Supervet" Noel Futzpatrick in his clinic in Godalming.

He was insured and fair play, every bill was met including 3 expensive years of chemotherapy
but the premium increased accordingly.
Now it's a bottle a month but he's my dog, part of our family and an absolute character to boot so he's more than worth the extra bit of dosh.

Love
Report barstool March 27, 2022 11:27 PM BST
Great to read that slippy. Hope you get a few more years of him.
Report acey deucy March 27, 2022 11:30 PM BST
I just lost my Jack Russell last Year he was 18, best dog i ever had and hardly had a sick day in his life.
Report Slicer March 28, 2022 11:10 AM BST
Dogs & particularly cats are prone to gum disease hence the need to have their teeth descaled. I've always had cats but after having to have my last cat put to sleep last year I'll never have another pet. I was absolutely devastated. It was an incurable condition & I told the vet I'd pay thousands if he could resolve the condition. He said there was nothing to be done. in the end it cost me just short of £300 to have the cat put to sleep. When the condition originated several years ago I spent well over a thousand on scans.
Report dustybin March 28, 2022 12:05 PM BST
I’d have put it to sleep for a score
Report Slicer March 28, 2022 12:06 PM BST
There are some on here who can bore to death for nothing!
Report TINnotaTON March 28, 2022 12:10 PM BST
Ditto to that slicer as regards the circumstances for not having any more, we lost all 4 of our house rabbits in the space of no time at all, being in that room, especially with the 10 year old on the day he was put to sleep was horrific. Also wouldn't do it again sorely for the purpose of adding to the coffers of those absolute rip off veterinary practices. We ended up buying all our medication online ( 3 were on meds for life ) and there prices, compared to online vets meds were a p1ss take, but of course they used to charge you £15 for the privilege of writing you one out.
Report Slicer March 28, 2022 12:20 PM BST
A lot of the good, small independent vets have signed up with the corporate Medivet. I won't comment on the one  Medivet of which I have experience. Let's put it this way, as soon as it was realised I had medical & veterinary knowledge, the treatment plan changed completely! Nuff said.
Report impossible123 March 28, 2022 12:44 PM BST
A friend was charged £300 to have her puppy neutered, and £97 for a tummy-washout after swallowing a tv remote battery in the kitchen.
Report dustybin March 28, 2022 12:58 PM BST
House rabbits?

Crazy world
Can’t you just get your kids to bond with a spider or something?
Report TINnotaTON March 28, 2022 1:00 PM BST
shows how ignorant you truely are, get a life. sad bastard
Report yeahyeahwhatever March 28, 2022 1:01 PM BST
for what it's worth SB, although it's been years since I had a dog, you used to be able to buy beef flavoured dog toothpaste and my dog loved it... even when I used to brush her teeth with a dog toothbrush (yep, such things exist - long and thin) she was quite happy to put up with it as long as I used the beef toothpaste.

That's said, surely DentaStix would be easier?
Report Slicer March 28, 2022 1:06 PM BST
DentaStix & similar products are ok for prevention, but once the calculus (tartar) forms, it has to be removed mechanically.
Report Rico-Dangleflaps March 28, 2022 1:13 PM BST
so,stewy took the dog to the vet but didnt take it..
Report bluebook March 28, 2022 1:18 PM BST
Sounds about right, I'm afraid.

Mine had to have two or three teeth removed, and the remaining ones cleaned, some time ago under anaesthetic, and that cost around £350.
He ought really to have them cleaned again, but he'll be 15 in June and I believe it can be risky putting them under beyond a certain age, though he's generally in good health.

My experience with vets is that they're hideously expensive. When you include the VAT that goes on everything, it makes owning a pet potentially very costly.
Report Slicer March 28, 2022 1:22 PM BST
Mr Book- you're absolutely correct with regard to anaesthetising an aged pet. The risks can outweigh the benefits.
Report ALIEN SEX FIEND March 28, 2022 1:52 PM BST
FEE is about right.  Vets charges are going through the roof. Hope you can get the work done and all returns to normal.
Report SlippyBlue March 28, 2022 3:08 PM BST
As regards to Medivet Dr.S. Am I right in assuming the vets get a kickback for successful referrals? If so that's just how things are now I suppose.

I was told to have my insurance with Sainsbury / Homebase and they paid up with never any aggro thankfully. If memory serves the initial m.r.i scan was slightly over 2 grand and I was paying about £25 per month at that stage. We did have plenty of hydrotherapy sessions to build up muscle in his hind quarters that we had to pay for and he responded really well with that so after 8 weeks he was strong enough to cope and do normal exercise.
Report Slicer March 28, 2022 3:57 PM BST
Not sure about referrals Mr Blue. The Medivet I took my last but one cat to was like an animal hospital. It was not my normal vet as I travelled 8 miles to my usual very caring vet & did so for 20 years with various cats. The reason I took this cat to Medivet was the cat collapsed in the garden & suspecting a stroke I took him the the nearest vet 5 mins drive away from my London residence. As the tv ads say time is of the essence with a stroke. It would take 2 pages here to describe the events & I might also need the services of a solicitor if Medivet read it. All I will say is that I'm glad I have medical & veterinary knowledge.
Report bluebook March 28, 2022 6:54 PM BST
It's astonishing how much the fees can be.

When my mate's Jack Russell was mauled by another dog, the dog's injuries were so severe he had to spend a couple of days in a local animal hospital. Cost ? £350 per night !! Shocked
Report impossible123 March 28, 2022 8:21 PM BST
Blue Cross and PDSA are good alternatives if one is eligible. The staff are friendly and competent.
Report Rico-Dangleflaps March 28, 2022 9:30 PM BST
vets are like the legal profession..just absolutely rape you every position.
Report Rico-Dangleflaps March 28, 2022 9:35 PM BST
my mutts suffered with ear infections/allergies last 6mth or so...ive spend about £1200 on mebbe 10 vet visits..they told me to try a drug called apoquel..said get em online be cheaper..looked on an online vets were £80 for 50 16mg.. prescribed half a one a day..prescription only and my vet charge £20 a prescription..when i was sorting it i says ..how much will the 50 tablets be here as im not arsed about 10-20 quid more..2 mins i'll check..£218 we would charge. no words.
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk March 28, 2022 10:01 PM BST
My pooch suffered with ear infections continually for a year.
Differing advice from various vets from food allergies (expensive) to all sorts of reasons they couldn't pin down because it could be "anything"
Finally after consulting the internet I asked the vet to take a swab of the crap in his ear and it was found to be the most common bacteria and cleared up after a week or so with correct medicine.
It took ME to try something that a year 1 student would have known.
If I didn't know better I've a feeling vets are taught to drag these things out for the money
My dog suffered for a feckin year and they were all hopeless.

Rico, ask the vet to take a swab of the gunk in your dog's ear (cost me £70) and take it from there, imo
ATB
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk March 28, 2022 10:07 PM BST
Ask the vet if Gentamicin would work
Apparently its the first thing they should try but seems to come further down the chain of advice, it's a mystery
Report Rico-Dangleflaps March 28, 2022 10:54 PM BST
jcm..had the swab done few weeks ago..identified the bacteria and said the the tube of medication that had previously been applied was the one that would heal it...hes been ok the last couple weeks and various spells of vigourous head shaking..been on steroids to open his ear canal back up again although im not keen on him having them as he eats/drinks more than normal..such is life Grin
Report Rico-Dangleflaps March 28, 2022 10:55 PM BST
after various spells of vigourous head shaking*
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk March 28, 2022 11:26 PM BST
Ah good. A happy ending Cool
Report BRIGGSY08 March 29, 2022 2:14 AM BST
My jack Russel was called Judy. She was brilliant white with a large brown spot on her side all the way to her belly and a brown ear.  She died when I just turned 16. She had also just turned 16. I knew her all my life. She roamed free all day long in the small mining community I was brought up in and would often follow me to school on the mile or so walk and be there to meet me at 3 o clock, sitting patiently at the gate and leading me home. I remember one time playing in the woods and I had an instanance and had to poo there and then and no sooner had it hit the ground Judy did eat that huge turd. I remember once coming down stairs and Judy was wrapped up on the hearth in a blanket and staggered to her feet to greet me and she was all cut up and had iodine and stitches with her left eye all droopy. A badger had got her in the night.  Wasn’t long tho and she was as fast as ever. My earliest memories running with Judy I allways see her looking back at me and  flapping her tongue seemingly laughing at my endeavours to keep astride of her, I can see it all looking back now with fondness, as I slowly caught up with her, the year or so when we were equal and would race the hard sand beach chasing the tide out or any other such excuse to run.  Then just as I got quick Judy started slowing down and are roles were reversed and I’d try to cajole her with lots of knee slapping,floor banging and stamping to get her attention as she went blind and deaf. At 12 she bit the postman and my mam paid him off with £600, at  14 she got cancer and a big lump was removed from her belly cost a few quid. I came home one day in the afternoon and there was Judy on the hearth again wrapped up an my first though was fccck a badgers got her again but it wasn’t. My mam was sitting at the dining room table and explained it was time and I immediately screamed no which roused Judy slowly to her feet and the blNket fell away and I could see the old scars thru her brilliant white coat, freshly washed ,she looked younger to me as she turned toward me took two steps then kieled over with her tongue hanging out. One of the saddest days ever. I know my mam never paid for beef toothpaste or plack removal shoit tho and her breath did used to stink but then again she was known to eat shh1t.
Report Slicer March 29, 2022 9:24 AM BST
Rumours in the pharmaceutical world that Gentamycin to be renamed Personamycin.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com