Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
KeMoH
20 Mar 22 00:50
| Topic/replies: 2,767 | Blogger: KeMoH's blog
At 9am this morning I paid a visit to my local Ladcrooks.  There was a horse I fancied running this evening at Wolverhampton and I thought I'd try my luck with this firm given they had my selection chalked up at 6/1.

I wrote my bet out (I wanted £420 win only at odds of 6/1) and approached the counter. I asked the Cashier for the price (he noted the 6/1 on the slip) and I laid down the readies.

The member of staff obviously sent the bet through to traders for permission to lay (this was all done electronically, through his till/computer).

A few minutes passed by as both myself and the Cashier waited to see if the bet would be approved by the powers that be, when all of a sudden I looked up at the price screen that was situated behind the counter to see that the price of my horse had been trimmed into 5/1; this didn't look a good sign.

Anyway, moments later the Cashier told me the traders had returned a message to him (via his work till) saying I can have the bet but at odds of 9/2 Laugh - even though the odds on the board were now 5/1!!

This is the first time I've ever come across any one of these cowboys offering bespoke prices to individual customers, not even honouring what they are advertising on screen.

Not the Cashiers fault, I know, but if I were him I would be handing in my resignation as I genuinely couldn't look customers in the face given the aforementioned. A complete embarrassment - I would be ashamed to wear the company's logo.

I know he is just trying to earn his daily bread, but the way this mickey mouse outfit is operating leaves the staff members on the shop floor looking like clowns without a shred of integrity.

A truly rancid affair imo.
Pause Switch to Standard View The future of bookmaking: Bespoke...
Show More
Report doantwin2easy March 20, 2022 12:18 AM GMT
Suprised he didn't fall on his sword. He'll be having a word with himself at his lectures in the morning.
Report dustybin March 20, 2022 7:39 AM GMT
I remember Amazon getting into hot water years ago for putting customised cookies on people’s computers which notified the retailer basically to how much of a mug you were by what price you previously paid for things.
You could look at the price of an item while not logged in and then log in and the price went up for some.
A song and dance was made and Amazon admitted it and changed tack….

The only thing is this practice is the unwritten custom of capitalism; take as much as you think the purchaser can handle.
It’s right behind capitalist rule number 1; pass the pain onto somebody else.
Report sparrow March 20, 2022 8:25 AM GMT
What BSP or bookmaker price was this horse eventually returned at?
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 March 20, 2022 8:49 AM GMT
Asking for £420 @ 6-1 was never going to end well, the only way is to go in 4 or 5 shops and hope the price holds up. Been like that for 10+ years at least!
Report Pilsudski March 20, 2022 9:03 AM GMT
The cashiers don’t know enough to have a conscience about it.It’s just a job,and they don’t give a fxxx.
Report stewarts rise March 20, 2022 10:12 AM GMT
No point blaming the cashier completely out of their hands, but this is hardly new.
If you'd been backing a horse at Cheltenham where there was a huge market you may well have got 6/1, probably have cut it to,11/2 in a shop but at Catterick where the market would be much lighter and more volatile then your bet is affecting the market. As someone else said you needed to spread it around different bookies shops to have any hope of getting on.
50 years ago same thing would have happened in an individual shop.
Report Trident March 20, 2022 12:07 PM GMT
If you want that amount on. Get a few people you know, and go from shop to shop.
Report Storm Alert March 20, 2022 1:03 PM GMT
Nothing new about this, I remember getting knocked back on Morley Street a few times around about 88-90 when trying to get £500 on. I was usually trying to get something like 5/4 and they used to phone up and I sometimes offered £100 at the price and the rest as sp. Ladcrokes and Billies were shirkers and it cam to a head when I tried to get £500 on Calabrese in Billies Dec 91 at the morning price of 11/10 and they refused to take the bet at any price (it was a 10 or 12 runner ffs). Corals were ok but I used to have to go in local independents like Ansells in Watford to get a decent bet on.

This is why I switched to online betting asap. BlueSQ initially and Betfair which was a breath of fresh air in the early days.
Report sparrow March 20, 2022 1:14 PM GMT
I'd still like to know the end price of that horse.
Report Hayden March 20, 2022 1:20 PM GMT
Nothing new is totally correct Storm Alert but it's not the liability causing the restriction but entirely the event itself.

Ask for £420 at 6/1 for an outright sporting event or a Soccer match today at 6/1 and you'd be 1.01 to get the full bet at the price.

Bit naive to ask for that business on a horse race with respect OP , punters need to accept the difference between the events they're asking for and remember Horse Racing is a crooked sport , so that bet would always be up for severe scrutiny especially at 9am before the market has had any chance to take any serious liquidity , by the way £420 at 6/1 at Cheltenham would also have been accommodated with minimal fuss.

Take Different Gravy's advice and be more aware of how the industry works is my advice.

Good luck today  Happy
Report Hayden March 20, 2022 1:23 PM GMT
Should also add £420 on a horse at 9am isn't the cleverest staking either , it smacks of you putting £400 on for somebody whilst having the other £20 on yourself.
Report KeMoH March 20, 2022 1:44 PM GMT
I should have added. I went to my local Billys around 30 mins and they laid me a monkey @ 11/2. Job done
Report screaming from beneaththewaves March 20, 2022 1:58 PM GMT
The answer to the problem is to do what bookmakers did back when they were still bookmakers - not offer early prices on meetings like Wolverhampton.
Report mitolo March 20, 2022 2:05 PM GMT
when i had a short stint with hills  many years ago a geezer came in with 1k in scruffy readies and wanted it on a 100/1 shot win only. i would have put it in me pocket if there wasnt a witness.

wanted it to win, i wasnt going to be there much longer. finished 6th in the national.
Report revs March 20, 2022 2:14 PM GMT
they're gutless, wetting their pants at the thought of a winning punter..most of my bets at the bookies get knocked back or reduced odds/stake.  I've kept track of these over the years and if they had the balls to accept the bets they would have been well in profit.  They only accept bets when they're sure that the odds are on their side or when a problem gambler (loser) wants a bet!
Report ItsMeSwaddle March 20, 2022 2:33 PM GMT
Agree with OP
Report ItsMeSwaddle March 20, 2022 2:34 PM GMT

Mar 20, 2022 -- 3:14PM, revs wrote:

they're gutless, wetting their pants at the thought of a winning punter..most of my bets at the bookies get knocked back or reduced odds/stake.

Report ItsMeSwaddle March 20, 2022 2:35 PM GMT
Agree with this anorl.

Time for a license review.

If you want to trade as an arcade, do so.

If you want to trade as a bookmaker then you should be inclined to lay a few bets ffs.
Report slickster March 20, 2022 2:53 PM GMT
Only way is go around a few shops staying under the radar. I don't mind if I miss a point here and there. All prices are guaranteed anyway. I only got caught once.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves March 20, 2022 3:47 PM GMT
They only accept bets when they're sure that the odds are on their side

I think you've just identified the difference between a bookmaker and a punter.
Report impossible123 March 20, 2022 3:54 PM GMT
"Bespoke" is merely a smokescreen to placate the impending affordability check. There's nothing bespoke about bookies, period - they are the blood-suckers and scumbags of the highest order!
Report revs March 20, 2022 8:13 PM GMT
The term bookmaker should be removed as its no longer valid, they no longer make a book, in fact I'm not even sure they have a team compiling the odds.  They simply take the betfair price and knock a few points off it.  Bookmakers used to make the game interesting but they've let greed (profit maximisation for shareholders) get in the way.  They've sucked the life out of the industry, thieving scumbags!
Report impossible123 March 20, 2022 8:50 PM GMT
Indeed present bookies are no longer making a book similarly the majority of high street shop managers are odds-averse and merely custodians of fobt.
Report doantwin2easy March 20, 2022 11:21 PM GMT
when i had a short stint with hills  many years ago a geezer came in with 1k in scruffy readies and wanted it on a 100/1 shot win only. i would have put it in me pocket if there wasnt a witness.

wanted it to win, i wasnt going to be there much longer. finished 6th in the national.

that's morally wrong to even consider it. maybe he needed the win badly. what if it had won...

you sound like a right wrong un.
Report mitolo March 21, 2022 2:04 PM GMT
i do indeed. at the time i was living in a squat(albeit a nice one) and didnt have a nana and wouldnt have contemplated the consequences until the race was off. when it was it dawned on me what a bad idea it was. i had become habituated to it as there were a couple of mugs who did their cobblers on the doggies and i would take their bets, and pay them meself if they won.

i was only there as i had a plan to relieve them of a large amount of money, and i would have done if i wasnt such a party animal and buggered it up
Report parispike March 21, 2022 3:07 PM GMT
I never ask for  bet in a shop that takes out more than about £300. I think the PTL in most shops in Cheltenham is (festival aside) £500 so keep well within that.

£420 at 6/1 is, with the state of modern "bookmaking" ,effectively setting off every alarm bell.
Report Fashion Fever March 21, 2022 3:11 PM GMT
80s around 3 or 4 shops furthest apart in a town is the best way to go
Report mitolo March 21, 2022 3:17 PM GMT
as the shops are all linked via the epos tills i dont see how trekking around town can get round the problem.
Report parispike March 21, 2022 3:25 PM GMT
The trick is not to require PTL
Report Hayden March 21, 2022 3:36 PM GMT
Crikey nobody on here ever mentions a walking syndicate.

Surely many of you have been in or involved with the industry and know people you can trust from completely different postcodes around the country , if you haven't then find them.

Improve your modern industry knowledge of how best to get bets on with the tools you now have.

Brief everyone of a few golden rules , example never be afraid of taking 11/2 instead of 6/1 if it means a bet. ( anyone refusing 11/2 when they could have got 6/1 having inside info is a fool )

You've cracked it , for your bad e/way acca's as well as a decent amount on the information bets.

I've had a walking syndicate for 15yrs in August and we only meet once a year for a beer and a review of how it's gone.

That's why you've never seen me moaning on here about not getting bets on with bookmakers , so stop moaning and act accordingly otherwise you'll have Einstein turning in his grave with the definition of madness.

Betting forums can be a real disease sometimes.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com