Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
gfootyfan
22 Feb 22 09:25
| Topic/replies: 17 | Blogger: gfootyfan's blog
Who has had experience with this?
I'm potentially being underpaid by more than €100 because I missed a price by 14 seconds (in a multiple placed the day before the race).
Bookmaker in question is Powers.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 58
By:
Dodadae2
When: 22 Feb 22 09:31
Happened to me a couple of times in PP. Not on multiples though and not for £100. Also happened in Laddies when I was ONE second late!!! You are reliant on the goodwill of the "manager". Are you a regular? Is the "manager" a regular or just someone different every day? Was the staff member new and inexperienced? You need to be nice and calm ....£100 is a lot!!! Was it a large stake or a big price move? My differences have been less than £20 and have been a struggle to get paid. Good luck
By:
monarch
When: 22 Feb 22 11:12
Has also happened to me on numerous occasions. Most of the time there was mitigating factors in my defence. The most regular issue was that the shop was being single manned, and the staff member was on the phone, or dealing with a problem with a machine, or simply taking other bets. As mentioned, it is at the discretion of the manager, and most of the time gets sorted quickly (depending on the humour of the manager of course!). As you were only 14 seconds late there could easily be a reason beyond your control for the "error", and it could be corrected. Failing that, slip the manager a few quid!!

Hopefully a forumite named Ronnie Rails will see this, as he is best placed to give an answer from the other side of the counter.
By:
swiftynifty
When: 22 Feb 22 11:18
I'm guessing you wrote on a price on the ticket yourself, it got accepted by the cashier without verifying? If the cashier checked the price they would have seen it had shortened. If they didn't check because they 'trusted' you then there's the problem.
By:
stewarts rise
When: 22 Feb 22 11:44
14 seconds is a long time in price movements.
By:
Movewiththetimes
When: 22 Feb 22 12:24
^ It is but it works both ways, if your selection goes from 9/1 to 10/1 in 14 seconds you still get paid 9/1, here is where the problem lies.
By:
Joe Lampton
When: 22 Feb 22 12:48
5 years ago I went into Betfred and asked for £250 @ 11/10 on the morning of the race. I'd never been the shop before and they rang up to see if it could be accepted. They put the phone down and said the bet was agreed and wrote 11/10 on the slip before putting it through the till. The horse won at SP of 8/11 and when I went to get paid out they said my bet was placed at 10/11 and that the timestamp on the slip shows that 10/11 was the best price at the time. In effect the price was cut straight after the call for approval but before it was put through the till. I explained all this but it took three trips to the shop and the area manager to get involved before I was paid out. The person in the shop was saying i'd missed 11/10 by 5 seconds...I told them this was the cut in price betwen the phone going down and it being rang through but is was computer says no. Total nightmare to get paid out in full!
By:
ItsMeSwaddle
When: 22 Feb 22 13:44
I had an issue with this a couple of years back.

Walk into shop minutes before a race.

Try to take 100 at 5/2.

Wrote 5/2 on slip.

Goes through.

I check their screen and is already 2/1.

Asked if I got 5/2.

No sorry 9/4.

Well ok I dont want the bet then.

Sorry the bet is struck now.

Surely this is an issue.
By:
swiftynifty
When: 22 Feb 22 13:46
So you wanted the bet at a price you had missed?
By:
hulk23
When: 22 Feb 22 13:48
if your selection goes from 9/1 to 10/1 in 14 seconds you still get paid 9/1

exactly.  has anyone ever went back to collect and got a nice surprise because of this ? 

........ didn't think so
By:
ItsMeSwaddle
When: 22 Feb 22 13:50
Was 5/2 when I handed it over the counter, not my issue what they do with the slip before it goes in the cistern.

If they insist on F'ing around then surely it should be my right (within a couple of seconds) to say no thanks if its that price.

If you went to Tesco and picked up a pack of Wagon Wheels on offer for a quid and you got to the till and they were a different price completly do you think you have the option to say no sorry I wont take those?
By:
Manoleeds
When: 22 Feb 22 13:52
How did they give you 9/4 -did they write it on the slip?
By:
TheGoddess
When: 22 Feb 22 13:54
My experience shows that it can take some staff upto 30 seconds to a) find the price, b) wrire it on the slip and c) process it through the till.

There has to be a degree of flexiblity and all bets cannot be judged on the time they are finally processed through the till.

There needs to be a 10 second allowance on all bets.

BTW have have also experienced screen shows to be out of line with till shows, particularly in Betfred.
By:
hulk23
When: 22 Feb 22 13:54
so you can hand your bet over at 5/2 and he puts it through and says you're on at 1/33 and you have to take it "'cos the bet is struck now".

doubt it.
By:
hulk23
When: 22 Feb 22 13:57
contract is between you and them at 5/2.  giving you 9/4 is a breach of the contract.

threaten them with small claims.
By:
ItsMeSwaddle
When: 22 Feb 22 14:01

Feb 22, 2022 -- 1:52PM, Manoleeds wrote:

How did they give you 9/4 -did they write it on the slip?

If you intend to take a price supposedly, you take the price it is at the time, which was obvs 9/4 at the time.

Hulk theoretically yes thats what I thought?

Was a couple of years back now.

By:
the dealer
When: 22 Feb 22 14:17
Brilliant, the OP doesn't give any indication what happened but the forum can give a full breakdown on what went on.

Maybe he was just 14 seconds late !!
By:
Joe Lampton
When: 22 Feb 22 14:31
Went down shop today for first time in 5 years. They asked for my name when I put a bet on. Is this normal practice now?
By:
swiftynifty
When: 22 Feb 22 14:40
Punters who write on their own prices are usually trying it on. If the cashier found the price and wrote it on the ticket I'd be fairly certain you would get that price regardless of what time it went through the till.
By:
monarch
When: 22 Feb 22 14:40
It's years ago now, but I was in a Magic Sign over here in Ireland, and was placing a bet on an Eddie O Grady horse that was well fancied in Tipperary. Docket done out (correctly) for 100 @ 7s (had been 10s, but I was slow out of the traps that morning), but the manager was taking a personal call behind the counter. I didn't mind waiting for his call to finish, placed my bet, exchanged pleasantries with him, and out the door.

In the interim, the horses price had dropped from 7s to 6s (eventually won at around 9/4, apologies for the aftertiming). Went in to collect my 800, only to receive 700, and was told I was late. A dispute ensued over the price, my first time ever with that manager, who refused to pay the 7s. I respectfully reminded him of his PERSONAL phone call, but he still would not budge. I just told him I would contact the area manager, who I knew personally, and he backed down relatively quickly. I didn't like having to make the threat of taking it further but it was his fault in the first place. Just shows that price discrepancies can happen for any reason, often not at the fault of the customer.
By:
ItsMeSwaddle
When: 22 Feb 22 15:52
It said 5/2 on the screen, I wrote 5/2 and went straight over to the counter, after being checked whatever it must of not of been 5/2 but surely I then have the right to cancel my bet?
By:
swiftynifty
When: 22 Feb 22 16:03
you can't cancel a bet once you've taken a price and the price has shortened ,  for obvious reasons. If the cashier checked the price you had written on and circled it then you should have got 5-2.
By:
dave1357
When: 22 Feb 22 16:10
swiftynifty • February 22, 2022 4:03 PM GMT
you can't cancel a bet once you've taken a price and the price has shortened

lengthened surely?
By:
swiftynifty
When: 22 Feb 22 16:13
I meant lengthened dave but any price taken is the contract, it's much easier to cancel SP bets.
By:
The Management
When: 22 Feb 22 16:18
What are you going to do? Call the police?

They can do anything they like - and they do! - they are (effectively) unregulated and there is no (straightforward) process for challenging them.

And yet most of the people on here seem to think that even less regulation is required Laugh
By:
ronnie rails
When: 22 Feb 22 16:18
Hulk

regarding your 1348 post the punter should be paid out at 10/1 but i would ask for odds he will get paid out at  9/1 ,will leave it up to you where the other point goes. happens all the time.

said this for years if taking a price ask the staff to translate the bet before you leave the counter.

regards
Ronnie.
By:
The Management
When: 22 Feb 22 16:25
Joe Lampton22 Feb 22 14:31Joined: 23 Mar 05 | Topic/replies: 329 | Blogger: Joe Lampton's blog
Went down shop today for first time in 5 years. They asked for my name when I put a bet on. Is this normal practice now?

Don't tell him Pike!
By:
gfootyfan
When: 22 Feb 22 16:43
The staff weren't particularly incompetent, I guess just bad timing with the price changing between when I had double checked it, gotten to the counter, the staff having analysed what was being put through, and the bet being timestamped.

So what is the best order to approach this? I'm thinking:
1. Ask the shop manager what discretion can be offered
2. Take the case to the area manager (how would I get in touch with the area manager?)
3. Take the case to an upper echelon staff in HQ
By:
DIFERENT GRAVY 12
When: 22 Feb 22 17:23
Tell em the cashier was on tiktok or facebook and you had to wait 5 mins to get served........they will believe you!
By:
themightymac
When: 22 Feb 22 17:48
Bet was settled correctly. If you take a price in a betting shop, one gets the price when the cashier accepts the bet, not the price it was when standing in a que. Put your bets on earlier.
By:
hulk23
When: 22 Feb 22 18:20
They can do anything they like

they used to be able to do anything they like.   not anymore (except in Eire).
By:
kublai
When: 22 Feb 22 18:22
I always get the staff to find and write the price on the slip themselves. If the price is different to what you were expecting at least you are aware and can decline the bet.
I have noticed recently that some staff seem to think it is not their job to do this and even on occasion have faced outright refusal. It is pure laziness and i tend to avoid these shops.
By:
hulk23
When: 22 Feb 22 18:24
If you take a price in a betting shop, one gets the price when the cashier accepts the bet

this has to be nonsense. 

so you hand over your bet looking for 9/2, and he hands you it back saying you're on, but at 1/500 as that was the price "when i accepted the bet".
By:
The Management
When: 22 Feb 22 18:39
hulk2322 Feb 22 18:20Joined: 04 May 12 | Topic/replies: 18,665 | Blogger: hulk23's blog
they used to be able to do anything they like.   not anymore (except in Eire).

So they can't in your opinion:

Refuse to take a bet?
Close your account?
Restrict your account?
Demand documents if you have the nerve to try and make a withdrawal?
Cut the price of an imminent non-runner in order to manufacture a R4 deduction?
Advertise a price that they won't lay?
etc, etc, etc,

On what planet do you think they can't do absolutely anything they want?
By:
hulk23
When: 22 Feb 22 18:46
they can't do "anything they like".  they can't take your bet & refuse to pay you out if it wins.  until recently they could, and can still refuse in Ireland and there's nothing you can do.
By:
hulk23
When: 22 Feb 22 18:48
they can't "just keep your deposit".  as coral found out when they tried to keep mine. 

mention court to these scumbags and they soon start listening.
By:
The Management
When: 22 Feb 22 18:52
wtf - They do that all the time - the most recent one was Banks, before that it was baldy, before that it was baldy again, before that it was.... and so it goes on. They do it all the time.

What is your recourse? There is none! Ergo they can do anything they like.
By:
ItsMeSwaddle
When: 22 Feb 22 18:56

Feb 22, 2022 -- 6:24PM, hulk23 wrote:

If you take a price in a betting shop, one gets the price when the cashier accepts the betthis has to be nonsense.

By:
ItsMeSwaddle
When: 22 Feb 22 18:57
This is the issue.

The ability that they can just do as they please.

Fair enough 5/2 to 9/4 not ideal not the end of the world.
By:
ItsMeSwaddle
When: 22 Feb 22 18:58
A bookies will eventually go not manned at all soon, cashless NAP.

Caretaker comes to open shop for macheens, ends shift, shift starts again to close shop, NAP.
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com