Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
36DD
05 Feb 22 23:26
| Topic/replies: 223 | Blogger: 36DD's blog
This time I only have one and it's Stevie Nicks for me, interested if there actually any others I should be listening to also.
Pause Switch to Standard View Greatest female rock band singer
Show More
Report blackbarn February 5, 2022 11:34 PM GMT
Janis, Grace Slick, Natalie Merchant would be a good place to start and all better. Cool  Oh and Bonnie Raitt.

From a brit aspect, Christine Perfect and a left field blues suggestion Jo-Anne Kelly.

Oh and .........Back after others have posted
Report differentdrum February 6, 2022 12:37 AM GMT
Popular success has to come into this a little, surely? Fleetwood Mac were/are much bigger than 10,000 Maniacs and Jefferson Airplane. Stevie Nicks had limited solo success but it was still considerably more than Grace Slick, Natalie Merchant and Christine McVie. What bands were Joplin and Raitt in?

Very few women have fronted what you might consider major rock bands with any degree of longevity. Annie Lennox of The Eurythmics is one. Lone Justice were the first band I saw live. They soon fizzled out but I think Maria McKee was probably the first woman to have a solo number one, and also write a number one for someone else. 

I think Stevie Nicks is the obvious shout.

You have Judith Durham of The Seekers and Mary Travers of Peter Paul and Mary, but they were essentially folk outfits.
Report onlooker February 6, 2022 12:42 AM GMT
You are obviously watching the Fleetwood Mac programmes currently on BBC2

What a collective set of (Over)Egos.... No wonder all their relationships went T!ts Up

On the other hand - That is probably the reason why they wrote and performed so many great songs.
Report onlooker February 6, 2022 12:47 AM GMT
Stevie Nicks, in particular, comes across a a very cold person, almost devoid of emotion and empathy.
Report Hayden February 6, 2022 2:18 AM GMT
Alannah Myles
Patti Smith

Although not fitting the criteria Judith Durham was singing perfection.
Report Reynard February 6, 2022 3:24 AM GMT
Suzi Quatro Love
Report Life-Lucky February 6, 2022 8:27 AM GMT
Sonja Kristina of Curved Air
Report FOYLESWAR February 6, 2022 8:39 AM GMT
judith durham amazing voice
Report Cardinal Scott February 6, 2022 8:56 AM GMT
Looked at my Spotify playlists and the only candidates that would qualify as female rock vocalists would be Grace Slick, Tina Turner & Pat Benatar.

Mary Peters, Carly Simon, Olivia Newton John & Dua Lipa are there too but not rock.
Report Cardinal Scott February 6, 2022 8:57 AM GMT
Correction: Mary Travers NOT Mary Peters
Report sixtwosix February 6, 2022 9:05 AM GMT
Many superb female vocalists , Karen Carpenter , Alison Krauss , Carly Simon , Emmylou Harris ......but rock singers.....erm erm

I have a massive record collection with tons of rock ,but the only female 'rock' singers I can think are in it are the punk /new wave variety .....Siouxie ,Patti Smith , Liz Frazer ...............
Report CROPSICK February 6, 2022 9:49 AM GMT
Janice Joplin
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk February 6, 2022 10:59 AM GMT
Elkie Brooks.. Vinegar Joe days?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G51tmiwMlk
Report Nogoody February 6, 2022 10:59 AM GMT
Ellen Foley and Bonnie Bramlett, when they sang a song it was sung.
Report Slicer February 6, 2022 11:18 AM GMT
Pat Benatar a very serious omission. For blues-Janis Joplin no contest. Many of the names mentioned are pop or middle of the road, not rock in the truest sense of the word. Stevie Nicks-wonderful, but rock? Certainly not!
Report Mentalissimo February 6, 2022 11:29 AM GMT
I always thought Ann Wilson from Heart had a great voice. I'd recommend going on youtube and checking out Daria Zaritskaya.
She does a bunch of rock covers with her band on there and has a great voice that's perfect for the genre.
She's also very easy on the eye Love
Report FOYLESWAR February 6, 2022 11:38 AM GMT
not rock i know but possibly the greatest woman vocalist artist of all time HONEY G IS  a shamefull  emission
Report Slicer February 6, 2022 11:39 AM GMT
Documentary on tv last night about Fleetwood Mac. Featured Stevie heavily & interviews with Ann Wilson. Stevie put on weight & still lives in Fairyland, Ann aged quite well.
Report kkkatt February 6, 2022 12:55 PM GMT
Dolores O Riordan....she needed a stadium...a recording studio wasn`t big enough for her. See Promises live in Paris on youtube.
Report The Pies February 6, 2022 1:04 PM GMT
Debbie Harry
Report SlippyBlue February 6, 2022 1:14 PM GMT
Kate Bush. What have I won?
Report Slicer February 6, 2022 1:21 PM GMT
And exactly what track ever recorded by Kate Bush can ever be classified as rock n roll?
Report chad February 6, 2022 1:39 PM GMT
Chrissie Hynde
Report sofiakenny February 6, 2022 1:39 PM GMT
Maggie Bell...a shocking omishun.
Report Rico-Dangleflaps February 6, 2022 1:52 PM GMT
jessica alvares
Report SlippyBlue February 6, 2022 1:57 PM GMT
Ah, good point Dr.Slicer.

Well spotted.Happy
Report Slicer February 6, 2022 2:00 PM GMT
Cool
Report barstool February 6, 2022 2:21 PM GMT
Annie Lennox has a great voice.
Report blackbarn February 6, 2022 2:26 PM GMT
differentdrum06 Feb 22 00:37Joined: 05 Oct 11 | Topic/replies: 13,701 | Blogger: differentdrum's blog
Popular success has to come into this a little, surely? Fleetwood Mac were/are much bigger than 10,000 Maniacs and Jefferson Airplane. Stevie Nicks had limited solo success but it was still considerably more than Grace Slick, Natalie Merchant and Christine McVie. What bands were Joplin and Raitt in?

Janis Joplin - Lead vocalist with Big Brother and the Holding Company.

Bonnie Raitt provided session lead vocals and lead guitar for lots of rock acts and bands. She is inducted into the Rock and Roll hall of fame and is I believe the only woman to appear in Rolling Stone's top 100 vocalists AND in their top 100 guitarists.
Report john92 February 6, 2022 4:23 PM GMT
Phantogram. Wolf Alice. Vesna Vesna if you like Russian indie.
Report Trendy February 6, 2022 5:35 PM GMT
Showing my age but,it has to be Dusty.
Report steerforth February 6, 2022 5:36 PM GMT
Just about the sxyiest thing I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjhxkANhKwI
Report onlooker February 6, 2022 6:13 PM GMT
Dusty - Was a Bloke.
Report Slicer February 6, 2022 6:30 PM GMT
Dusty was a bloke only in the fact that she liked ladies. She was quality but never a rocker. Baladeer, blues, easy listening but never rock.
Report Trendy February 6, 2022 6:31 PM GMT
He was the son of a preacher man.
Report sparrow February 6, 2022 6:41 PM GMT
Janis Joplin
Report madhatter February 6, 2022 7:06 PM GMT
Favourite female singers for me are Annie Lennox, Joan Armatrading, Brandi Carlile and Martina McBride.

Favourite female rock singers are Chrissie Hynde and Martha Davies (The Motels) - who sounds remarkably like Chrissie...
Report Slicer February 6, 2022 7:14 PM GMT
Mr Madhatter- Martha Davis- I've got 2 Motels albums & my fave motels record- Days are Ok- watched them perform it on The Old Grey Whistle Test.
Great performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6feHgbmX1w
Report skiptoomaloumacari February 6, 2022 7:31 PM GMT
Delores O"Riodhan.............
Report Reynard February 6, 2022 8:29 PM GMT
^^^ Good call
Report Hibore February 6, 2022 8:41 PM GMT
Someone put this Stevie Nicks performance up years ago. Still amazing 40 years on…

https://youtu.be/H1kF5HsUw84
Report madhatter February 6, 2022 9:57 PM GMT
Mr Slicer -
I've got the first four Motels albums but the 2nd one (Careful) is far and away the best.
Days Are Ok and Who's Problem Am I? are the best tracks they did imho, along with Total Control from the eponymous debut album.

Only The Lonely and Take the L Out Of Lover (And It's Over) were also two of their better efforts

I guess you know that Martha had a cameo role as one of the three deities in Bill & Ted Excellent Adventure, along with Fee Waybill and the legend that was Clarence Clemons?
All the best,
Mad.
Report salmon spray February 7, 2022 12:05 AM GMT
A lot mentioned are better known as solo artists. Dusty WAS in a group early on and Janis was for a bit longer.
Linda Ronstadt is the best for me for her sheer versatility,and she was in The Stone Poneys before her career took off so she qualifies as much as Bonnie Raitt for example.
Chaka Khan is another one nobody seems to have mentioned. Started with the rock band Rufus.
Report Slicer February 7, 2022 8:14 AM GMT
I agree with you 100% on the tunes you mention Mr Madhatter. Thank you for reminding me of Martha's roles in the movies. I hate to be a pain, (I don't really), but it's DOCTOR Slicer. I didn't spend 26 years at university just to be called Mister. Best wishes to you too. btw- what a wealth of knowledge exists on these forums thanks to old timers like Mr Spray, Mr Madhatter, many others & of course myself. Having lived in the times of the best music ever is a distinct advantage.
Report Llamedos February 7, 2022 8:34 AM GMT
Not the greatest Female rock band singer by any means but she had her moment at the end of the eighties early nineties

Wendy James

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEzl16L4998
Report Sir Epicure Mammon February 7, 2022 10:14 AM GMT
Grace Slick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Is2OeUZ6Sg
Report madhatter February 7, 2022 10:43 AM GMT
Llamedos
I saw Transvision Vamp at Cambridge Corn ExchangeLoveLoveLoveLove
And, talking of great female singers, I also saw Eddie Reader & Fairground Attraction at the same venue - admittedly not rock though!
Report madhatter February 7, 2022 11:07 AM GMT
Dr Slicer,
We have been lucky to have lived through the '60's revolution and then Glam Rock, Prog Rock, Punk, New Wave, Indie and Brit Pop.
Can't quite remember the Sixties really (born in 58) but I do have a fine retrospective collection of Who, Stones, Kinks, CCR and Free albums...and even the odd Beatles one or two.
Grew up listening to E John, T Rex, R Music, Rod+Faces, then discovered Waits, Springsteen & Skynyrd - my all time fav band (but not in their resurrected form).

Punk shook it all up and I was listening to the Pistols, The Undertones, Stranglers, Pogues and SLFingers.
Then Joe Jackson (third best concert I ever went to at Leicester De Montfort Hall), Wah! and all things Julian Cope, Orange Juice/E Collins.
Next would be Oasis, Dinosaur Jr, Stone Roses, Razorlight, Concretes.

Have really struggled with the music of the last 20 years or so but absolutely love David Ford (ex Easyworld) as a singer/songwriter - a better (but less rich!) version of Ed Sheeran, who has given the two finest concerts i have ever been to (seen him five times!) at Roadmenders (cellar) and Luton Top Hat, both times without his band, just him with all the instruments and a loop machine - brilliant stuff. Five albums, first two wonderful, second two very good, last one not so much so.
Cheers,
Mad (BSc)
Report Slicer February 7, 2022 11:32 AM GMT
Well Mr Mad (BSc), I'm a lot older than you. I was a teenager when the great Alan Freed coined the phrase rock n roll.Although the music of the 60s, mainly early 60s, is my fave period, I like to think I can see (hear) some merit in the later stuff. Certainly like some Glam stuff, particulary T Rex cos its so easy for me to play on my Fender Stradivarius Telecaster. Ferry was an icon of cool, & Roxy did some great album tracks once they grew out of Eno's experimental stage. I even have the Stranglers first album. I was whistling Never had a girl like you before by E. Collins for many months & like some of O Juice tunes. I can even see some merit  (although only a little ) in the Ramones Swallow my pride & Pinhead. Although a soul, Motown, disco of the 70s fan I can't stand most of the music from the turn of the century. Most Rap should have a C in front of it. Indeed, I'm such an oldie that apart from Ed The Redhead, I've not heard of any of those mentioned in your last paragraph. So set in my ways these days, I hope you forgive me if I say I'm not even going to give them a chance. My future is behind me & I'm grateful for that regarding music & everything else.
I hope you prosper.

Sir Epicure- White Rabbit with Jeff Airplane was very good. She sold out by forming Jeff Starship. But her best ever is a ballad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv98M7iZwAI

Best wishes.
Report dambuster February 7, 2022 12:00 PM GMT
Not a rock singer, but surely the best female voice ever is Shirley Bassey
Report Slicer February 7, 2022 12:02 PM GMT
IMHO SB's voice too harsh & sings without feeling!
Report salmon spray February 7, 2022 12:02 PM GMT
Sounds as though I am in between in age. I really got into pop/rock around 1962/3 though I vaguely remember earlier stuff. I've always been more into American stuff than British. In early 63 me and a mate tried to get tickets to see our hero Roy Orbison but a band called Gerry and the Pacemakers were 3rd on the bill and an even more obscure lot called the Beetles (or something like that ) were 2nd. They had sold out      Sad.
I suppose if you are looking for a female singer who was both definitely rock and almost invariably sang with a proper band as opposed to a backing band Grace Slick probably IS the answer though whilst she sang both of JA's best tunes and a few other good ones she also was responsible even in those days for some pretentious garbage.
What is rap please ?
Report sparrow February 7, 2022 12:04 PM GMT
I might be about the same age as you Doctor but for me the late 50s with coming of Elvis, Eddie Cochran, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly etc. was the best era. For the first time youngsters had their own music rather than having to put up with their parents stuff including crooners and all the rest of it. Exciting times.
Report sparrow February 7, 2022 12:08 PM GMT
Not many 50s female rock stars then but Wanda Jackson was very good.
Report dambuster February 7, 2022 12:20 PM GMT
The one thing i can tell you, is that the music of the 60s/70s and especially 80s are a million miles better than todays garbage, i couldn't tell you any song thats been no1
in the last 25 years.
Report Slicer February 7, 2022 12:24 PM GMT
I always preferred the 3 chord wonder that was Eddie Cochrane.  Most female singers of the late 50s sang with bands. Brenda Lee, Doris Day, Ottilie Patterson, Lita Roza, Ella Fitzgerald, Etta James, Connie Francis, Sara Vaughan- Frankie Vaughan's aunt. to name but a few.
Report sparrow February 7, 2022 12:28 PM GMT
Not many of them women could be called rock stars doc although all very good.
Report Slicer February 7, 2022 12:32 PM GMT
I agree. Just mentioned a few female singers from the 50s. This thread turning into the Reminisces of Old Codgers! Laugh
Report sparrow February 7, 2022 12:38 PM GMT
Well I haven't even heard of some of the performers posters have mentioned so thats my excuse.Plain
Report Slicer February 7, 2022 12:41 PM GMT
Laugh
Report sageform February 7, 2022 2:02 PM GMT
Annie Lennox is my favourite with or without the Eurythmics.
Report dambuster February 7, 2022 3:03 PM GMT
You forgot Alma Cogan, Slicer
Report Slicer February 7, 2022 3:16 PM GMT
Mr Dambuster- I could NEVER forget Alma Cogan (the singer with the laughing voice). The Beatles were her support act at times. She was famous for her parties. She died too young & I've actually visited her grave at Bushey Cemetary,
Report sparrow February 7, 2022 3:23 PM GMT
I'll throw in Patti Page.
Report Raylayle February 7, 2022 3:27 PM GMT
Posh Spice.....
Report sparrow February 7, 2022 3:34 PM GMT
Welcome back to the forum.
Report moonlight bay February 7, 2022 3:37 PM GMT
Lita Ford
Report Slicer February 7, 2022 3:38 PM GMT
With regard to Posh Spice Mr Raylayle, it does say singer you know!
Report SlippyBlue February 7, 2022 3:50 PM GMT
Also Dr.S. Victoria Beckham was born in Harlow, Essex.

Now call me picky if you will but I've been to Harlow and I didn't think it was very posh at all I must say.

Confused
Report BigglesFlysUndun February 7, 2022 3:54 PM GMT
Janice Joplin
Report BigglesFlysUndun February 7, 2022 3:54 PM GMT
Janice Joplin
Report Slicer February 7, 2022 4:04 PM GMT
Mr SlippyBlue, I know you're correct. However I do happen to know that Spice does usually come from the East, so Harlow Essex qualifies on that count!
Report cosmik debris February 7, 2022 9:14 PM GMT
Kristin Hersh, Laetitia Sadier, Kim Deal, P J Harvey
Report differentdrum February 7, 2022 11:03 PM GMT
Yes, the Stone Poneys did a couple of good ones, but weren't around for that long.

Just throw in Carla Torgerson of The Walkabouts and Chris and Carla fame. Hugely underrated band.
Report differentdrum February 7, 2022 11:11 PM GMT
Just to add as they got few mentions I have got a few Motels records as well. Haven't played them for a while but I liked Shame, Suddenly Last Summer, Tables Turned and Isle Of You.
Report salmon spray February 8, 2022 12:34 AM GMT
Different Drum should certainly know about the Stone Poneys     Grin
Report driver2 February 8, 2022 8:33 AM GMT
Obviously none of you have heard of Brittany Howard and Alabama Shakes, a real ROCK singer. Listen and learn!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a99fUbOrqLk
Report jackboo February 8, 2022 9:03 AM GMT
m people what a powerfull voice
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl February 8, 2022 9:34 AM GMT
Chrissie Hynde....born Chrissie Hynd with the 'E' added as a flourish. From Akron in Ohio survived plenty bad times to make her break-through. A wonderful voice. Came to our shores a long time ago and fell in love with good old England and adopted it as her home. She adored London. Chrissie once went out and bought some new shirts for her man. Returned to her apartment and proceeded to have a small falling out with her man friend. This led to Chrissie tossing the new shirts out of her window down onto the street and she watched as homeless man picked them up and strode off with his bounty. A mention also to Suzi Quatro great singer.
Report Andrew.in.Sweden February 8, 2022 9:37 AM GMT
Vera Lynn wearing a studded leather jacket
Report isleham February 8, 2022 10:03 AM GMT
on different genres Etta James was pretty great and in Folk Sandy Denny was awesome..what an early loss she was
Report dambuster February 9, 2022 12:30 PM GMT
I sat next to Suzi Q in RBS Chelmsford a couple of years ago, we had a nice chat whilst waiting for a meeting with the manager, and a selfie.Love
Report deeppockets February 9, 2022 1:54 PM GMT
Janis Joplin for Big Brother and the
Holding Company
Report ALIEN SEX FIEND February 9, 2022 1:57 PM GMT
Siouxsie Sioux............. Chrissie Hynde, albeit moved from rock to pop quickly. Best female artist ever, for writing, singing and performing,
KATE BUSH
Report ALIEN SEX FIEND February 9, 2022 2:11 PM GMT
Joan Jett if not already mentioned.
Report Tiger Tiger February 9, 2022 2:27 PM GMT
Janis Joplin

Maggie Bell

Stevie Nicks

Patti Bell

Pat Benatar

P J Harvey Love

Melissa Etheridge
Report Percy Filth February 9, 2022 7:56 PM GMT
Have to give a mention to PP Arnold singing with Steve Marriott on "Tin Soldier"
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com