Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Christysonfire
07 Jan 22 19:34
| Topic/replies: 41 | Blogger: Christysonfire's blog
I have many, but let's start with a trip to Folkestone one summer's day about 1987. Four of us had bought our first horse, a tearaway off the flat that Geoff Wragg had trained. 6,500 between us, a lot of cash. We hoped he'd be a successful novice hurdler and sent him to one of that era's best dual handlers. After a couple of typical flat racer's burn-ups for about 9 furlongs of a 2 mile hurdle, the trainer decided on a break over the spring and then a tune up over 10 furlongs on the flat followed by an autumn campaign. '' There's a little race at Folkestone...he's not ready...can't win, I've booked Walter Swinburn.'' So off we went. The late great Walter struggled with the feisty entire all the way to the start, with his head so far over the rail that he must have been able to see the channel. He burned out and finished mid-div. '' Don't go yet Christy, I've one running later... just a tune up job, like yours. Pat Eddery's riding, the owners aren't here, come into the ring and meet Pat.'' I stayed, had the crack with the late great Pat who was instructed to'' go out and make it, he'll soon come back to them.''  But, as I was leaving the paddock the trainer's dad came up to me. ''Have a couble of bob on R****R he's been burning up the gallops  at home''. But your son said. '' Don't mind him...have a couple of bob on.''  I went down the bookies line 12/1 14/1 12/1 and then right at the end 20/1. Forty quid to win.  When I was collecting my 800 quid he asked, ''How did you find that one?'' Just lucky I guess I replied. But I drove home with a pocketful of greasy notes from the bookie and fond memories of meeting two of my racing heroes for the first time. RIP Walter and Pat.
Pause Switch to Standard View Memorable and crazy days at the...
Show More
Report tanglefoot January 7, 2022 8:20 PM GMT
Happy memories Love
Report hulk23 January 8, 2022 1:00 AM GMT
I went down the bookies line 12/1 14/1 12/1 and then right at the end 20/1. Forty quid to win. 

When I went back to collect my 800 quid he accused me of "collusion" as 2 other people had placed the same bet, gave me my stake back.

Shocked
Report Trendy January 8, 2022 7:54 AM GMT
Great story Christy, many thanks.
Report EastLower Gooner January 8, 2022 9:40 AM GMT
Lovely story….

I’m afraid mine was when I ran into that hoodlum Workrider at Ascot and mayhem ensued.

Actually…it was when I got my dad an antepost bet on War of Attrition in the Gold Cup for his birthday.

I wasn’t sure if it was an appropriate gift but he loved it…I guess it’s a racing thing.

Anyways fast forward a few months and we were at Cheltenham to watch the race.

Absolutely amazing scenes when he popped the 2nd last and shrugged off Hedgehunter up the hill.

Miss the ol’ man.

Ps getting someone an ante post for their birthday is awesome. I’ve tried it a few other people and win or lose it’s been brilliant for them. So you guys might want to try it sometime.
Report Trendy January 8, 2022 12:28 PM GMT
I have done similar with my son gooner.
Report Deptford January 8, 2022 12:32 PM GMT
Rizeena winning the Queen Mary, told all and sundry after she won at Sandown it would win at Royal Ascot, what a day and night that was, dont remember much after 7pm!!
Report Ibrahima Sonko January 8, 2022 12:40 PM GMT
In 1994 i went into a bookmakers to collect some winnings and saw this horse win a 1m6f maiden on the flat and thought that was impressive.

The horse was entered at Newbury in a 2 mile handicap hurdle off 120 and i thought he had already proved that he was way above that rating, put my neck on the line and went to newbury and told my mates (5 of us) it was a cert, it had the race won turning into the straight. Atours went onto good things btw.

Cant decide between Historic & Atours  which have given me the most pleasure.
Report Storm Alert January 8, 2022 12:56 PM GMT
Great idea for a thread, please keep the stories coming. I will post a couple when times permits.
Report dukeofpuke January 8, 2022 12:59 PM GMT
Quite a few of us backed Rogers Princess the long distance hurdle winner at Cheltenham cant remember year we were on at 20-1 before she ran at Nottingham came 2nd there won easy at HQ only backing tenners in those days
Report Storm Alert January 8, 2022 1:03 PM GMT
Rogers Princess, I backed that sadly for not enough. The horse raced wide most of the race and I remember Peter O'Sullevan commentary, he said several times "making relentless progress on the outside Rogers Princess".
Report onlooker January 8, 2022 3:12 PM GMT
Christysonfire 07 Jan 22 19:34 

'............ But I drove home with a pocketful of greasy notes from the bookie and fond memories of meeting two of my racing heroes for the first time. RIP Walter and Pat.'
---------------

I would have thought that your 'racing hero' ... would be the Trainer's Father - who 'Tipped you the Wink'

- and - Did you ever speak to his Son, again .... Who 'Put you away'?

Only a Half told story - Christy...

Did The Trainer's Son 'have it off', too - But he Used you to (try and) keep the Price Up?
Report themightymac January 8, 2022 3:26 PM GMT
Onlooker LaughLaugh
Report The Knight January 8, 2022 11:04 PM GMT
Out of very, very many in 45 years going racing.

1/ Miseque winning 1987 1000 GNS with me having my last £800 on at 9\4. I could not pick the filly up even with my bins but when it suddenly appeared late on I went ape-sh*t (there's an 80's expression for you). Alan Brazil was stood right behind me that day and was slapping my shoulders like a long-lost buddy cos' he gone in nut first on the french superstar, as well. What a day.

2/ Dancing Brave coasting up at Ascot in 1986 Diamond Stks. Wonderful day and when Eddery brought that flying machine up to the leader and then looked across my £400 at 6\4 was in the bank. I was hoarse for two days afterwards.

3/ Lastly, and right down the scale, second Wednesday of 2013 at Southwell on good old fibresand. I was due to start radiology the following week because my prostate removal the previous summer had not quite cleared the cancer. But that day at Southwell saw me back 5 winners and my troubled thoughts of what lay ahead were banished for a lovely few hours.

BUT, to be fair, almost ALL days' at the tracks are memorable and there is nowhere else I would rather be come rain, shine, lose, win or draw!
Report workrider January 8, 2022 11:12 PM GMT
EastLower Gooner, her Majesty has not forgiven us .....Laugh..
Report driver2 January 9, 2022 8:58 AM GMT
I've told this story before, but it's worth another airing. Around 40 years ago I went on holiday to a place called Puget, in the south of France and when I went back to work I paid my regular visit to the caf on Brentford Bridge for lunch and the betting shop next door. I couldn't believe it when I saw a horse called Puget marked up at 8/1 in the next race, i had to have a tenner on it didn't I, after all, who's ever heard of Puget. Anyway it won! A couple of minutes later, the owner of the caf came in and I told him the story, "**** me" he said, "is there a horse called Bognor running?"
Report driver2 January 9, 2022 9:32 AM GMT
Amazing, talk about memory Lane, I just had a look at the area on Google maps and the caf's still there, albeit tarted up a bit, the betting shop's now a newsagent and the Chinese opposit Boston Manor station is also still there with a different name. Imagine, hardly a change in 40 years! Great post Christy!
Report jimnast January 9, 2022 9:49 AM GMT
good morning the knight

you beat me by one year of going racing,your story of dancing brave reminds me of a superb era of both national hunt and flat racing and also reminds me of an amusing tale although not one from the racecourse.

back in the 80s i had a few punters one of which was known as odds on alan a young lad who would think nothing of betting a ten hundred to one on in the snooker or the rugby or a 500 for 200 on ,on the horses,alan had a stammer and one day midweek before the 86 eclipse {i know your story was the king george}he rang me up and says hello pete what pppppprice is ddddancing bbbrave for the king gggggeorge on ssssaturday,i replied 11/8 alan ,on thanks ppppete can i have tttttwo hundred pounds on it pppplease ,yep no problem alan but you do know thats not odds on dont you,he replies yyyyes but it ffffffuc.ing should be.

i still bump into alan from time to time incredably you can not get him of the karoke nowadays.

your quite right the knight almost all days are quite memorable at the track.
Report jimnast January 9, 2022 9:50 AM GMT
ffs after all that i said the king george it was the eclipse Blush
Report jimnast January 9, 2022 9:58 AM GMT
also agree with gooner about anti post bets as presents .
Report lead on January 9, 2022 10:23 AM GMT
the karaoke probly helps him with the stammer,jimnast
Report jimnast January 9, 2022 10:38 AM GMT
perhaps it has lead on ,even when chatting to him now its unnoticeable.
Report penzance January 9, 2022 10:41 AM GMT
you gave him a nice bet there,Jimnast,The Brave
won that around 1/2-4/9,did'nt he?
Report Christysonfire January 9, 2022 10:43 AM GMT
Interesting reply Onlooker. Although the trainer in question couldn't lie straight in bed, I think on this occasion it was lack of observation.

I'm so pleased that some of you appreciated the story. Although I'm in my seventies now, I have a seventeen year old daughter who tells me I'll get old when my memories are more than my dreams. I guess as racing fans and punters that'll never happen to any of us!

That leads me on to a little learning being a dangerous thing. It's July 1999 Goodwood festival week, which as an avid NH fan, I'm avoiding. Friday morning the phone rings.  'Three of us are going racing, wanna join us?' But I decline. I'm busy in the garden. Phone rings again 'We're passing your door...we'll pick you up.'
I've always been weak willed, a lift to the course , a country pub lunch on the way, and the sun is shining. At the track my good friend and I decide on a placepot. The other two decline the offer. So we spend a full fifteen minutes having a study up. One each in the six races and we approach the lady in red in the kiosk, having marked up the slip for a pound stake. 'So, that'll be 64.00' she says. We look at each other and decide that's a lot for a Friday flutter. ' Why don't you do it for a 50p stake? That'll be 16 pounds each?'We're on!
  Six races later, six unplaced favourites later, and with a pool that has rolled over all week (we didn't know about that). It pays 21,538 to a pound. So we turned our backs on over 10k but went up to the tote office( I don't keep that sort of cash in my kiosk, she said), drew a cheque for 10k and went out to party with the 769.35 in change. I used to have the newspaper clipping from Saturday in a frame declaring a world record (beaten many times since). Isn't it funny the things she chucks away when you move out and get divorced. Laugh
Report jimnast January 9, 2022 11:01 AM GMT
indeed penzance he went of much shorter cant remember if something was pulled out of the race on the lead up clearly it was the wrong price,it was of course a different era with no exchanges to guide people.
Report jimnast January 9, 2022 11:07 AM GMT
nothing weak willed about having a country pub lunch christy Happy
Report Celtic warrior January 9, 2022 11:46 AM GMT
For me an autumn meeting at ascot, that good 3yo 1m4f hanicap.about 12 years back

Just looked at my raceform private handicap and one at 25-1 was second top rated. Told my wife and our best friend who were there for a day out that this was a case of massive price irrespective of result. End of the line had £70 on at 28-1. Probably 60-1 betfair mind you.

Bookie begging the stewards enquiry to go his way

Ended up emptying his satchel....all in scottish notes!
Report Storm Alert January 9, 2022 11:55 AM GMT
I've told this story before, I'm not proud of myself but here goes...

One of my mates had been made redundant just before Christmas and had received a large payoff and annually we used to have a BDO "boys day out" racing day every year in December. So that year (mid 90's) we headed off to Plumpton. We had been given "Le Chat Noir" as a tip in one of the early races, and it duly won. Quite a few beers followed by several bottles of Bollinger later we were basically wasted. But on a fabulous betting day most of us managing four winners. In the last, there was a decent favourite that we all got stuck into and picked up some serious wads.

I was standing in the queue to pick up my wad and due to my inebriated state, I suddenly and without warning projectile vomited over a stranger in front of me. It was so embarrassing, I rushed to toilets and whilst I was sorting myself out the guy came in and took his shirt off and was washing it in the sink. I was apologising profusely but he was telling me to stay away. Anyway, eventually we both had to collect our money and all the bookies had gone except one who was waiting for us two. The look of distain the bookie gave me when paying me out was something to behold.

The train home was packed and no 2nd class seats so we sat in a 1st class carriage and this one commuter got really shirty with us and pulled the communication chord. The guard turned up took no action against us but threatened to fine the guy. We all got off in Croydon and carried on drinking in a hotel opposite the BR station. When it was time to go home I kept crossing a busy road and getting confused and then walking through an underpass and ending up back outside the hotel. I must have done it several times as eventually a member of the public asked where I was trying to get to as she was worried I was going to get run over. She ended up holding my hand and guiding me into the station (apparently the main entrance was closed for building works which I couldn't assimilate).

Disgraceful behaviour by me, but exceptional tolerance and help from two complete strangers. That day out often pops up in conversation, both for the notoriety and the amount of money we all won and how we all managed to get home safely. I had to navigate across London.
Report Trendy January 9, 2022 12:08 PM GMT
Great thread this,like a throwback to how this forum used to be,well done posters.
Report punchestown January 9, 2022 12:25 PM GMT
Backed The Listener for way more than I normally would for on the morning of a big Grade 1 @ Leopardstown fully expecting the price to contract and lay off most of it pre race,it did the exact opposite and drifted badly before the off and you couldn't "keep" your bet alive on here back then without being online when the race started to re-enter the lay.

I was at a funeral and couldn't go online but it made every yard under Daryl Jacob.
Report jimnast January 9, 2022 12:25 PM GMT
I remember the first time I ever went racing it was haydock in 1977 I was aware binoculars were very popular but as I had none I borrowed my dads telescope I must have looked a right t.at Blush
Report jimnast January 9, 2022 12:29 PM GMT
Blimey punchestown that just shows you how long betfair has been going the listener seems a lifetime.
Report punchestown January 9, 2022 12:31 PM GMT
Yeah jimnast,think it was about 2008,the keep your bet alive thing took them years to implement here.
Report paulo47 January 9, 2022 12:40 PM GMT
EastLowergooner , I didnt know about the Xmas ante post bet present , until this year when , at a meetup curry in London , my mate gave me a card with a Ladcrooks ticket inside , Ginto 33/1 £10ew Albert Bartlett . What a gent .
Report jimnast January 9, 2022 1:19 PM GMT
How times change denman won the Lexus and an English 1 2 in the Irish gold cup
Report jimnast January 9, 2022 1:20 PM GMT
I think the race you refer to in the 2006 Lexus where he beat beef or salmon and war of attrition
Report elise January 9, 2022 1:29 PM GMT
I had none I borrowed my dads telescope I must have looked a right t.at.... it was the eye patch and the parrot that made you look daft mate
Report punchestown January 9, 2022 1:31 PM GMT
I think the race you refer to in the 2006 Lexus where he beat beef or salmon and war of attrition

-------------------------------------------

Think you're right Excited
Report jimnast January 9, 2022 1:31 PM GMT
LaughLaughDevil
Report jimnast January 9, 2022 1:31 PM GMT
Above was for elise
Report elise January 9, 2022 1:32 PM GMT
sorry jim couldn't resist, i'll add a couple of stories at some point but the best one i can't tell because i'll get sued
Report jimnast January 9, 2022 1:48 PM GMT
I will have plenty Elise but don’t really want to bow people with to many but as we go along I am sure some will be brought out by other memories,can the sue for posting on a forum ?
Report jimnast January 9, 2022 1:48 PM GMT
Bow = bore
Report nocturnal January 9, 2022 2:41 PM GMT
Absolutely love the Telescope story ..... Still chuckling.

Not always about our own adventures,like many have alluded to,It's also about the people we meet.

Jump back to 2004 .... Gold Cup day at Cheltenham,the annual pilgramage was in full swing.

There with my Dad and better half,3rd day as usual,no place on this earth I would rather have been.

A chance encounter waiting for the hand-dryer in the gents ....

The guy I met was oriental,smartly dressed,it transpired later his first visit to the Festival.

Quick introduction to the family,it was clear he had a similar thirst for knowledge,for some unknown reason we hit it off immediately,we were buzzing,so was he.

Now we were four,pre parade ring/paddock/tote/bookmakers .... he took it all in.

Triumph hurdle approaching .... our "friend" had one horse on his mind.

Stood outside in the "Jungle",he produced the biggest wad of £20 pound notes I had ever seen.

He split the stake £120 ... between the tote and bookies,win only,I remember this as we were both chasing around looking for the best price in tatts,he understood that bit pretty quick.

As they jumped the last .... All four of us went up in unison .... must have looked hilarious.

Made In Japan was the beast .... 20/1,bigger on the nanny,our new friend was indeed Japanese.

Long after the dust settled,with no tables free,he appeared carrying four glasses,ice bucket, and the champagne,battling through the swarms with the biggest grin,priceless.

In all my time at the Festival,only twice did I have a drink,this was one of them.

Whether it's the gambler thing in many of us .... we were made up for him,he was such an affable guy anyway.

That was the opening salvo,amidst mumblings from the old man about "Triads",there was more to come.

To Be Continued ....
Report jimnast January 9, 2022 2:44 PM GMT
Look forward to part two
Report SlippyBlue January 9, 2022 2:56 PM GMT
I was at Cheltenham that day as well Nocturnal, Best Mate won his third Gold Cup as well as Made In Japan winning the Triumph.

Me and my brother did a joint placepot, about £150 quid worth I think it was and we had Made In Japan in the first leg which knocked plenty out of the pool.

It was a horrible wet and windy day and we had mixed fortunes during the afternoon but we did land the placepot with no idea What the dividend would be.
So we gave our ticket to the tote girl who then said, " cash or cheque? ".

We looked at each other and started laughing in the pouring rain as she counted out 6 grand. Lovely job and one of my favourite memories of going racing.
Report jimnast January 9, 2022 3:15 PM GMT
Walsh nicked the leading rider with sporazene in the last race.
Report jimnast January 9, 2022 3:19 PM GMT
Obviously best mate got the headlines that day but for me the stayers hurdle was the highlight iris gift beating barracuda.

All in yet another fabulous day at the Cheltenham festival
Report SlippyBlue January 9, 2022 3:22 PM GMT
The whole day Jimnast was magnificent, I'll always treasure that day of being there to witness it all.
Report jimnast January 9, 2022 3:25 PM GMT
I love both Cheltenham and royal ascot slippy they are totally different but both full of memories most of them great memories,only a pandemic would make me miss either Sad
Report mitolo January 9, 2022 5:20 PM GMT
my battlecruiser in posho highgate syndicated a horse. one of them went to school with a very famous trainer, and put it with him, against my wishes as i never thought we would get a choc ice when it was 'live'. on its debut the trainer said it would win unless there was an earthquake, not a common occurrence at ludlow. and by jove it did, by 19 lengths. 2 races later same trainer says it can not win at plumpton. hates soft ground. no chance. every one of us(8) laid the holy guacamole out of the thing. i put all my money(norra lot then, but all of it. 12k) into notfair.

it won at 11/2. you have never seen a pic of owners looking so despondent after their horse has won. and i was the smallest player. my richard at the time, who was fit, and posh(augusta. no chavs with a name like that) immediately gave me the sack with the immortal words 'you are not a viable proposition'. gorra laff now though
Report Celtic warrior January 9, 2022 6:56 PM GMT
Mitolo

I may have misread that but did you just say you laid your own horse to lose a race?
Report mitolo January 9, 2022 7:16 PM GMT
you did not misread it
Report Hibore January 9, 2022 8:27 PM GMT
jimnast 09 Jan 22 15:15 Joined: 03 Jan 01

Walsh nicked the leading rider with sporazene in the last

I was in the Guinness village that day and Ruby was jockey up on Rigmarole in that race. I can’t remember who was on Sporazene but it seemed a very strange booking for Nichols. It might have been Tom Scu 7lb conditional or someone similar. Rigmarole had run in the Champion Hurdle 2 days earlier and was about 7/1 or 8/1 and Sporazene was 20/1 early odds. There must have been 25 odd people in our group who we had been drinking since Tuesday which I convinced Rigmarole was just in the race to keep the weights down and couldn’t see it running. I thought Ruby had to be on Sporazene who has been well backed in the Betfair Hurdle a few weeks earlier. Lots of them backed it and told other people in the village. Nicholls left it late to scratch Rigmarole maybe 45 mins before the race and when the announcement “jockey change” came over the loudspeaker there was an almighty roar. The horse opened about 10/1 I recall and then backed down to 5/1 or 6/1 just before the race. I do recall getting soaked to the skin in Guinness as people were jumping up and down in the stand as Ruby shot into the lead over the last.

There was a horse called Harchibald in the race off 10st. Luckily they didn’t know how to ride him then as Carbury hit the front two out Laugh
Report Christysonfire January 9, 2022 10:03 PM GMT
Sun Alliance Novice Hurdle. Cheltenham 2003. I just know that Hardy Eustace will win this, but I like two for the forecast. Coolnagorna and Pizarro. So I back Hardy and do the forecast for him to beat each of the others ( all on the nanny). Bit of a scrimmage turning in but Hardy Eustace beats Coolnagorna with Pizarro in third. Off the steppings through the tunnel and the ladies in red are already paying out. Turn right third in the queue, pick up my winnings... Bing Bong. Stewards enquiry. Eventually Coolnagorna slung out, Pizarro promoted. Fished out the ticket and made my way to a different queue. Guilty but thrilled.
Report monarch January 9, 2022 11:20 PM GMT
Loads of memorable days at the races, many gambling related. But for sheer pleasure the best day had to be the 20th October 2012 in Ascot for the mighty Frankel's last race. Aside from being witness to such a great horse, getting to visit Ascot was such a treat for a chap who is more used to the "delights" of Tramore or Clonmel. As much as I love my Irish country racecourses, nothing prepared me for the awe inspiring spectacle that is the stand in Ascot. Add in the whole atmosphere of the day, with the build up to the Champion Stakes front and centre in everyone's minds. Frankel was not his sparkling best that day, but in a weird way that only added to the sense of enjoyment . Throw in the fact it was the first and sadly last time that I got within viewing distance of Sir Henry, a master of his trade.

If I could only change one thing about that day it would be where I stayed afterwards. My inexperience with the area led me to booking into a hotel in Bracknell, which must be the most godforsaken town I have ever been in. Next time I have the pleasure of visiting Ascot I will stay in Windsor, or at least in that general area.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves January 10, 2022 12:45 AM GMT
Betting against your own horse used to be perfectly acceptable. I remember my filly winning her first race, a Wolverhampton seller. I was standing waiting for the auction to begin, and Terry Allen, the SP returner, sidled up:

"Well done. Did you back it?"

"Yeah [glumly]. But I had two thousand to sixty the second. I wanted that."

Terry roared with laughter, and there it was in the the next morning's Racing Post: "Professional punter Paul Neczypir had 33-1 about runner-up Oh So Grand in the first division of the seller, but had no complaints as Light On The Waves carried his colours to victory for the first time."

Them were the days.
Report jimnast January 10, 2022 7:39 AM GMT
Good morning monarch

That day would probably be my favourite day there’s been many but all in that just about tops it the way the crowd in the seats stood up cheering as he passed each one of them was wonderful,it had nothing to do with betting you just knew your were witnessing something very very special.

Your description of Bracknell is an accurate one .
Report jimnast January 10, 2022 7:47 AM GMT
Good morning hibore

Thanks for reminding me of the horse I knew there was a stunt pulled but couldn’t remember the name of the top weight,rigmarole was a very good horse on his day totally overlooked after winning the greatwood at a big price popped up again at a big price next time out when winning the bula hurdle,

The county hurdle should still finish the festival nowadays the last day has a long tail.
Report sageform January 10, 2022 12:40 PM GMT
Memorable to me was the day that my old colours won the Pertemps handicap hurdle on Freetown. I registered the colours in the 1980s when I had horses with Jim Old and in 1994 I told Jim that I was interested in a share in another horse. He recommended Jefferies which he was trying to sell to Bob Blumberg. Bob wanted 3/4 share so I took the other quarter and, as Bob wanted the horse to run in his daughter's name, we re-registered my colours for the partnership. Jefferies did us proud, winning 5 times but then Bob had horses with Len Lungo, including Freetown and Mirjan, and he kept the colours. When I saw him leaving the paddock the day Freetown won, I asked Bob what chance he had and he smiled and said "lucky colours" and it sailed home.
Report jimnast January 10, 2022 12:47 PM GMT
What a game this is sageform what was a memorable day for you was for me my worst memories of the festival it was the same day as valiramix Sad
Report jimnast January 10, 2022 12:47 PM GMT
What a game this is sageform what was a memorable day for you was for me my worst memories of the festival it was the same day as valiramix Sad
Report sageform January 10, 2022 2:01 PM GMT
Sorry about that jimnast, I can only remember the one race that day.
Report ItsMeSwaddle January 10, 2022 2:10 PM GMT
Dont know the year but isnt far back. 2018 at a guess.

The day after the bank holiday on Ripons 2 day card. August time nearly Sep.

Mate a mug punter but goes to the races with what wants to lose, and isnt interested in coming back with a "small amount" would rather have all or nothing, making him pretty dangerous if starts with a winner or two.

Anyway downstairs in the Hills to watch an away meeting race, said to my mate if you are backing that get slip in now, price tight against exchange, hills certain to go lower. Bloke behind the counter hears me and says you can only bet with hills in here, I am not too confrontational so I just let it go and said yep I will let you know if I am having a bet pal. Anyway my mate gets on and wins the bet, and the Hills bloke was doing the old your taking my money here attitude, painful, I am sure we have all experienced this.

About an hour later still no losers from my mate, he is up to about £300-£500 stakes on low grade dross. Purposefully going to see the bloke that seemed to have an issue to place his bets, this bloke miserable as ever, slow counting winnings etc.

Anyway 2 hours after that, after a series of tremendous mug and favourite betting my mate had sucessfully genuinely emtpied the safe, something like £12k Wink. The blokes face an absolute picture, miserable cnt.
Report jimnast January 10, 2022 2:12 PM GMT
That’s racing sageform you have to take the rough with the smooth
Report jimnast January 10, 2022 2:15 PM GMT
Those on course betting shop managers became more miserable when bets had to be put through before the race swaddle.
Report penzance January 10, 2022 2:17 PM GMT
went on the Tuesday 1999 with some pals,to
back 1 horse Generosa,in the Pertempts.Some
smallish book laid me the fractions @14s for
a few grand.Williamson had her last all the way
round when he started cutting through the field
on the 2nd circuit,she came there cantering more
or less,jumped the last and won easily.
She got just btn in the Coral Cup the next day
when ridden by an apprentiece,came 2nd/3rd.
You could pick her colours out as she ran in yellow
with a black sash.Pipe and McCoy had the jolly that
race I think,ran in green quarters,can't think of the
name.
   GL ALL
Report sageform January 10, 2022 2:19 PM GMT
I love that one itsme. those days do happen. I can't match that as I never increase my stake after a winner but the Collier Bay Champion Hurdle day was another that sticks in the mind. Jefferies had won at Taunton on the Monday after Pete The Parson had won for Jim and Wally at Chepstow on Saturday so that was a good start and in the Supreme I had a bit on the favourite, Nicholson, Lord Vestey and then saw Indefence galloping down and decided on a silly £5 at 25/1. Shame I didn't have the lot on Collier Bay but I still won £3000 on the day having backed CB ante post at 20/1.
Report monarch January 10, 2022 2:34 PM GMT
Jimnast - Bracknell truly is an awful spot. The only good thing about it is the road out.

Another memorable day was Quevega's Stayer's Hurdle victory in Punchestown in 2011. Not so much for the day itself, or the fact I made a few quid. But the day taught me a valuable lesson about gambling. I had been in good punting form in the weeks prior to the day in question, and that continued with a good punt on a Tom Mullins horse that won a good handicap chase in one of the supporting races on the Punchestown card. I was flush with readies, and decided to have a big punt (big for me anyway) on Quevega. I had 1100 to win 800, by far my biggest punt in my lifetime. And while the mare won (very unconvincingly as it happens) I couldn't watch the race, instead doing a Henrietta Knight about it, hiding away on a back stairwell of the main stand. I realised that I had taken myself well out of my comfort zone, and hated the experience. So even though I won, I learned a lot about what I could withstand as a punter. Now I rarely stake more than 100 on a horse, and that suits me just fine.
Report The Knight January 10, 2022 2:41 PM GMT
Hi Jimnast...

You see, I actually started going racing with my father when I was a young boy - as early as when I was 5 or 6. But back then it was all about collecting the discarded bookie and Tote tickets (what works of art they were) and it was the Derby of 1976 when I had £4 on Wollow at 1/1. Never in the race really but the whole day on the Grandstand side of the Downs was so memorable.

Of course, I did not realise all that time ago how going racing was to become a lifetime's obsession!

Sadly, most days are now a shadow of what they used to be but they still have a great appeal, some of which is simply being out in the fresh air trying to win money when so many are toiling away in workplaces up and down the land.

If I am having a bad day, I always put my bins down for a few seconds when a race is on and they are some way from home just to drink in the scene and tell myself how lucky I am to be there!
Report jimnast January 10, 2022 2:56 PM GMT
Glad you liked ascot monarch if you ever get the chance to go to royal ascot grab it,staying in Windsor would be both difficult and expensive,not to far away are Richmond and twickenham both good places to stay with trains going to ascot.

You mention clonmel and tramore maybe not as classy as ascot but tramore is a great racecourse to visit.
Report jimnast January 10, 2022 2:58 PM GMT
Hello the Knight

Going racing is what I missed most in lockdown by a million miles.
Report sageform January 10, 2022 3:17 PM GMT
I pretty much stopped going when the Tote Credit was closed. It was like a members club on most racecourses and without it, racing didn't appeal as much. On the rare occasions I have been since, I really miss Betfair (I just can't hack it on a phone). so I stay home.
Report SlippyBlue January 10, 2022 3:30 PM GMT
Exactly the same as you The Knight, I was walking Dad's greyhounds aged 6 in the kennels in Keston where the Catford trainers were mainly based. My first Derby was Snow Knight in 1974 aged 7.

The rest, as they say, is history. Some of my greatest memories in the proceeding 48 years involve me being on course to see the greats run both flat and jumps and that passion is still there for me, I just love going racing still and that'll always be the way for me.
Report Gordon63 January 10, 2022 3:40 PM GMT
three memories from myself, thankfully still going racing as often as ever, over 40 meetings in covid hit 2021

1 would have been 1981 or 82, was at university and in those days, received a grant of £330 for each 11 week term.  I'd been into gambling/racing from about 15yo and had enough winners (usually Sir Henry, Peter Easterby, Michael Dickinson) to make me think, I was on top of the game!! So at one of the pre-Summer jumps racing, West Country meetings (probably Newton Abbot) the great Francome was on a horse trained by Les Kennard which had won a few races and I in my youthful wisdom, decided it was a certainty so I had £110 to win £100.  Remember the sinking feel in my gut as it became clear from the blower that this was a mighty loser!! I also remember the extra shifts at the local farms (hard work for sure!) to make up the losses. Despite that I loved Francome and won loads off Burrough Hill Lad and News King in particular.  Probably a small price to pay to learn the hard way never to bet more than I could afford.

2 I had favourite Aunt/Uncle who lived in Chessington so on Derby Day 86, a lovely clear warm morning, I set off around 9AM to walk to Epsom.  Whilst the weather was great and I was quite fit, it was a bloody long way!! Got to track around 12 noon, had a few beers and then got into the racing (and a few rounds of the fair in the centre of the course).  Like so many others I thought Dancing Brave was a good thing and probably the best flat horse I'd seen in the flesh (to that point anyways) and bet him accordingly.  Even now watching replays I can't get angry/upset with Starkey but my overwhelming feeling was/is sadness that the Brave had not won the race he IMO deserved.  The walk back to Chessington seemed even longer!! I remember the local bookies on KG day when the Brave got some consolation by easily turning round the form with Shahrastani - don't know what it was like elsewhere but it seemed that all the youngsters were on the Brave and the older (wiser?) punters on the Derby winner, we had a mighty celebration after that one for sure.

3 One of my best friends was friends with the owner of French Holly and he absolutely loved that horse!! Was lucky enough to be with them after Holly had hosed up in the Sun Alliance, it was like an Irish roar when he took it up at the top of the hill.  Met Ferdy a few times, very down to earth and good company and a great target trainer as his Festival record shows. Anyways I was living/working in Toulouse at the time and Holly was entered for the Prix Barka at Auteuil.  My French was very good then, almost fluent (sadly it's regressed since!) and I flew up to Paris on raceday morning and met the owners' party (about 6 including my mate) and we had a lovely meal from the racecourse (as you can imagine the French cuisine and service put some of the owners fayre in UK to shame!).  So it came to the Barka and whilst the rest of the group went to speak with Ferdy/Andrew Thornton, I was passed an envelope stuffed with francs to invest.  I had no idea how much was in the envelope but when I passed it over the counter, the bet moved Holly on PMU from 5.6 to 3.3!!  Holly duly won the race really well despite spooking at the practice hurdle pre-race!! When I went back to PMU, the guy recognised me and said I should go to the side door from where he invited me inside the building as he explained he didn't want to count out so much money in front of the other punters!!! I needed three envelopes to carry the winnings, more than £8000, my share being around £350 which paid for the air fare and a few beers!! A proper lovely day - my mate was distraught when Holly was killed in a schooling accident, he was perhaps too big/tall to be a high class jumper but he could have done a Big Bucks and won lots of staying races, after all he was also placed in a Champion Hurdle.
Report ribero1 January 10, 2022 3:56 PM GMT
Galant Moss was the Pipe horse penzance,fairly memorable day for me too,first day bookmaking on course.
Report jimnast January 10, 2022 5:02 PM GMT
Hello ribero happy new year

Have a look at the title of the 4 o’clock race tomorrow at kempton the same firm have two geldings in the betting fo the mares novice hurdle at Cheltenham a dead horse in the betting for the browns advisory,and would you believe latest exhibition in the grand national betting absolutely unforgivable how any odds compiler could not be aware that sadly he is also no longer with us.
Report ribero1 January 10, 2022 5:11 PM GMT
Hi Jimnast,same to you,found it,it's Wednesday,yes they are terrible,I had never opened an online account until about 5 years ago and gave most of them a chance and while everybody has covered the subject before of getting on online these were the worst by a distance,I think I lost about £900 to them but had 10ew at 50's a 16's chance which finished unplaced that was me finished, don't know whether to laugh or cry when I see Henderson promoting them, and he got his pal Jessie a gig there too.
Report jimnast January 10, 2022 5:17 PM GMT
They were doing a big promotion at Windsor one night so I joined very similar with beltway at Cheltenham both equally as bad I found ,but at least I got a free drink on both occasions.
Report punchestown January 10, 2022 8:34 PM GMT
went on the Tuesday 1999 with some pals,to
back 1 horse Generosa,in the Pertempts.Some
smallish book laid me the fractions @14s for
a few grand.Williamson had her last all the way
round when he started cutting through the field
on the 2nd circuit,she came there cantering more
or less,jumped the last and won easily.
She got just btn in the Coral Cup the next day
when ridden by an apprentiece,came 2nd/3rd.
You could pick her colours out as she ran in yellow
with a black sash.Pipe and McCoy had the jolly that
race I think,ran in green quarters,can't think of the
name.
   GL ALL

-----------
Was there both days and backed it in both races,the second race was Tommy Treacy who was an experienced jockey but if memory serves me he did nothing wrong but was anchored by a 7lb penalty,Fran Berry rode the winner iirc Khayrawani   

Have another look https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cYOuo7bjVw
Report dambuster January 11, 2022 12:43 PM GMT
I was at my beloved Folkestone one day about 1993 ish, i was standing outside the telephone boxes as the horses went out on to the course.
A lad led a horse up called Dancing sensation of Reg Akehurset, and as he turned back he said to me, Krayyaan Dawn will win at Lingfield tomorrow mate,
(Why he told me, i don't know).
Anyway, i went back to my brothers pub that evening and told everyone what happened,
we bought the evening standard, and although Lingfield was on, it wasn't running. 2 Days later, Krayyaan Dawn was running at Lingfield.
People were asking me, will it win ?.(.As if i'd know )..Anyway, i found a little independent shop where i knew the Owner,
I had £40 at 10/1, a big bet for me, i told the owner the story, he said he heard them all the time. it went from 10s to 8s to 7s.
The stalls opened and you'd have thought someone had threatened the jockey Gary Carter, because he rode it as fast as he could out the stalls to get the rail
and led all the way to win..
The following Week Dancing sensation was running at Folkestone again, i drove there just to find the lad who gave me the info, i was gonna give him a drink and get more information. Alas, there was a girl leading him round and i never saw him again.
Report ged January 11, 2022 3:01 PM GMT
dambuster - I had a similar story, but it didn't have such a happy ending. I was at Sandown one day when Witness Box, who at that time had only won a maiden, was being led towards the parade ring before the race, an ordinary handicap. There was a well-heeled looking racegoer standing by the path, who had a few words with Witness Box's lad as he walked him along. I didn't hear what was said, but when the horse was a couple of strides past, the lad turned back and said to the guy "this is the first time he's been off". I'd wanted to back the horse anyway (Cauthen on for the first time), but he'd drifted from 6's to 10's in the early betting, so I'd got cold feet and had gone out the back to have a look at him. So I dashed back to put what I had left on (it was the last race). The 10's was long gone - he was now 13/2 best, and dropping like a stone - ended up 7/2. In the race, he got the lead, had it easy in front all the way down the back, but got passed by 2 others early in the straight when the pace quickened. He ran on in the final furlong when pulled off the rail and was beaten half a length and a head. He went on to win his next 3 races, and within a year had won the Northumberland Plate off 95. That day at Sandown he was beaten off 77. The form book says it was simply too short a trip that day (12f) - but I'd have liked Stevie to have gone a bit faster. I used to think the well-heeled racegoer must have been somebody, but maybe stable lads just like to talk.
Report dambuster January 11, 2022 5:38 PM GMT
Yes ged, i've met lots of lads over the years, they all think they've got a new Frankel.If it loses then thats life, if it wins they want a drink. But good luck to them,
Its not a great paying job for what they do
Report sparrow January 11, 2022 6:01 PM GMT
Not like Cauthen to get the pace wrong, ged.
Report dukeofpuke January 11, 2022 6:28 PM GMT
One year at Cheltenham in the beer tent in the centre of the course now called the Best Mate enclosure we got talking to 2 local Cheltenham girls my mate said to one 'your so nice i could drink your p!ss ' (such a charmer) anyway off she went and came back with a small plastic glass with you know what anyway to save face he had to have a sip Laugh
Report undertaker January 12, 2022 5:27 AM GMT
Bet he was pleased he didn't say he'd use her sh*t for toothpaste.
Report Christysonfire January 13, 2022 8:53 PM GMT
It's 1983, long before I got involved in owning a share in a horse. I've recently abandoned my job as a site foreman and labour master running shuttering gangs in London. I have my own small, very small construction business. The office is in the box room of the house and I have a patch of ground at the back of another builder's yard at Christ's Hospital railway station near Horsham in Sussex. It's around 7.30pm one night in winter. I'm hauling off 4x2 and 4x3 timbers into a stack from the back of my Nissan Cabstar. Finished and heading home I see a lone, suited and booted individual wandering around the station entrance. C.H. is in the middle of nowhere! So I drive over and jump out. 'Hello' he says. 'Can I get a taxi around here?' ' Not a chance my friend, but I could give you a lift into Horsham, you'll get a cab there.' So into the passenger seat jumps my new mate John. He's returning from an enquiry into the running of one of his horses at Portman Square. 'So what's the story?' I ask. 'They couldn't prove anything' he says.'Got a bit p***ed in London, fell asleep on the train and missed my connection...need to get to Lewes.' The Cabstar was prone to overheating, with the engine under the passenger seat, so there were layers of old cement bags to soak up the overspill on top of the seat, and another full bag on the floor to rest your feet on! With a fine dusting of cement powder over his navy blue overcoat, I dropped John Ffitch-Heyes off at Horsham station, next to the cab rank.
  Fast forward to 1989. I'm at Folkestone races. I spot John Jenkins chatting to guess who? ' Hiya Christy, let's have a drink... this is a friend of mine, John Ffitch-Heyes.' ... 'Oh hi John, we've met before I think.' 'Have we?'... Do you remember a night in January 1983...We split a bottle of champagne between us and laughed, shook hands, then I counted my fingers afterwards Laugh
Report G Hall January 14, 2022 12:52 AM GMT
Great story Christy, I am well familiar with Crawley not far from Horsham.
Report sageform January 14, 2022 8:34 AM GMT
Bob Grace, who led up Bataash, started his career with Jim Old and I have a photo of him leading up a horse called Meister that I bought a share in back in 1983. Because of that association he often stopped for a chat on a racecourse and I do remember a day at Salisbury when he told me that (unraced) Just The Judge was by far the best 2yo at Charlie Hills so I filled my boots on all of her 2yo runs. That kind of info is much better than "this will win today"
Report dukeofpuke January 15, 2022 2:24 PM GMT
Jim Old i remember years ago at Leicester races backing one his horses i left work in Lutterworth at 3pm drove to course to back his horse in the last race got in for free still in my Argos work clothes and hardly anyone there i had £100 on at 9-1 with turner and kendrick the look on their faces when the p[aid me out was priceless cant remember name of the horse some time after i went to Warwick to back Romany King i got 9-4 with my new found friends (enemy) they must of hated me
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com