Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Christysonfire
07 Jan 22 19:34
| Topic/replies: 41 | Blogger: Christysonfire's blog
I have many, but let's start with a trip to Folkestone one summer's day about 1987. Four of us had bought our first horse, a tearaway off the flat that Geoff Wragg had trained. 6,500 between us, a lot of cash. We hoped he'd be a successful novice hurdler and sent him to one of that era's best dual handlers. After a couple of typical flat racer's burn-ups for about 9 furlongs of a 2 mile hurdle, the trainer decided on a break over the spring and then a tune up over 10 furlongs on the flat followed by an autumn campaign. '' There's a little race at Folkestone...he's not ready...can't win, I've booked Walter Swinburn.'' So off we went. The late great Walter struggled with the feisty entire all the way to the start, with his head so far over the rail that he must have been able to see the channel. He burned out and finished mid-div. '' Don't go yet Christy, I've one running later... just a tune up job, like yours. Pat Eddery's riding, the owners aren't here, come into the ring and meet Pat.'' I stayed, had the crack with the late great Pat who was instructed to'' go out and make it, he'll soon come back to them.''  But, as I was leaving the paddock the trainer's dad came up to me. ''Have a couble of bob on R****R he's been burning up the gallops  at home''. But your son said. '' Don't mind him...have a couple of bob on.''  I went down the bookies line 12/1 14/1 12/1 and then right at the end 20/1. Forty quid to win.  When I was collecting my 800 quid he asked, ''How did you find that one?'' Just lucky I guess I replied. But I drove home with a pocketful of greasy notes from the bookie and fond memories of meeting two of my racing heroes for the first time. RIP Walter and Pat.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 89
By:
tanglefoot
When: 07 Jan 22 20:20
Happy memories Love
By:
hulk23
When: 08 Jan 22 01:00
I went down the bookies line 12/1 14/1 12/1 and then right at the end 20/1. Forty quid to win. 

When I went back to collect my 800 quid he accused me of "collusion" as 2 other people had placed the same bet, gave me my stake back.

Shocked
By:
Trendy
When: 08 Jan 22 07:54
Great story Christy, many thanks.
By:
EastLower Gooner
When: 08 Jan 22 09:40
Lovely story….

I’m afraid mine was when I ran into that hoodlum Workrider at Ascot and mayhem ensued.

Actually…it was when I got my dad an antepost bet on War of Attrition in the Gold Cup for his birthday.

I wasn’t sure if it was an appropriate gift but he loved it…I guess it’s a racing thing.

Anyways fast forward a few months and we were at Cheltenham to watch the race.

Absolutely amazing scenes when he popped the 2nd last and shrugged off Hedgehunter up the hill.

Miss the ol’ man.

Ps getting someone an ante post for their birthday is awesome. I’ve tried it a few other people and win or lose it’s been brilliant for them. So you guys might want to try it sometime.
By:
Trendy
When: 08 Jan 22 12:28
I have done similar with my son gooner.
By:
Deptford
When: 08 Jan 22 12:32
Rizeena winning the Queen Mary, told all and sundry after she won at Sandown it would win at Royal Ascot, what a day and night that was, dont remember much after 7pm!!
By:
Ibrahima Sonko
When: 08 Jan 22 12:40
In 1994 i went into a bookmakers to collect some winnings and saw this horse win a 1m6f maiden on the flat and thought that was impressive.

The horse was entered at Newbury in a 2 mile handicap hurdle off 120 and i thought he had already proved that he was way above that rating, put my neck on the line and went to newbury and told my mates (5 of us) it was a cert, it had the race won turning into the straight. Atours went onto good things btw.

Cant decide between Historic & Atours  which have given me the most pleasure.
By:
Storm Alert
When: 08 Jan 22 12:56
Great idea for a thread, please keep the stories coming. I will post a couple when times permits.
By:
dukeofpuke
When: 08 Jan 22 12:59
Quite a few of us backed Rogers Princess the long distance hurdle winner at Cheltenham cant remember year we were on at 20-1 before she ran at Nottingham came 2nd there won easy at HQ only backing tenners in those days
By:
Storm Alert
When: 08 Jan 22 13:03
Rogers Princess, I backed that sadly for not enough. The horse raced wide most of the race and I remember Peter O'Sullevan commentary, he said several times "making relentless progress on the outside Rogers Princess".
By:
onlooker
When: 08 Jan 22 15:12
Christysonfire 07 Jan 22 19:34 

'............ But I drove home with a pocketful of greasy notes from the bookie and fond memories of meeting two of my racing heroes for the first time. RIP Walter and Pat.'
---------------

I would have thought that your 'racing hero' ... would be the Trainer's Father - who 'Tipped you the Wink'

- and - Did you ever speak to his Son, again .... Who 'Put you away'?

Only a Half told story - Christy...

Did The Trainer's Son 'have it off', too - But he Used you to (try and) keep the Price Up?
By:
themightymac
When: 08 Jan 22 15:26
Onlooker LaughLaugh
By:
The Knight
When: 08 Jan 22 23:04
Out of very, very many in 45 years going racing.

1/ Miseque winning 1987 1000 GNS with me having my last £800 on at 9\4. I could not pick the filly up even with my bins but when it suddenly appeared late on I went ape-sh*t (there's an 80's expression for you). Alan Brazil was stood right behind me that day and was slapping my shoulders like a long-lost buddy cos' he gone in nut first on the french superstar, as well. What a day.

2/ Dancing Brave coasting up at Ascot in 1986 Diamond Stks. Wonderful day and when Eddery brought that flying machine up to the leader and then looked across my £400 at 6\4 was in the bank. I was hoarse for two days afterwards.

3/ Lastly, and right down the scale, second Wednesday of 2013 at Southwell on good old fibresand. I was due to start radiology the following week because my prostate removal the previous summer had not quite cleared the cancer. But that day at Southwell saw me back 5 winners and my troubled thoughts of what lay ahead were banished for a lovely few hours.

BUT, to be fair, almost ALL days' at the tracks are memorable and there is nowhere else I would rather be come rain, shine, lose, win or draw!
By:
workrider
When: 08 Jan 22 23:12
EastLower Gooner, her Majesty has not forgiven us .....Laugh..
By:
driver2
When: 09 Jan 22 08:58
I've told this story before, but it's worth another airing. Around 40 years ago I went on holiday to a place called Puget, in the south of France and when I went back to work I paid my regular visit to the caf on Brentford Bridge for lunch and the betting shop next door. I couldn't believe it when I saw a horse called Puget marked up at 8/1 in the next race, i had to have a tenner on it didn't I, after all, who's ever heard of Puget. Anyway it won! A couple of minutes later, the owner of the caf came in and I told him the story, "**** me" he said, "is there a horse called Bognor running?"
By:
driver2
When: 09 Jan 22 09:32
Amazing, talk about memory Lane, I just had a look at the area on Google maps and the caf's still there, albeit tarted up a bit, the betting shop's now a newsagent and the Chinese opposit Boston Manor station is also still there with a different name. Imagine, hardly a change in 40 years! Great post Christy!
By:
jimnast
When: 09 Jan 22 09:49
good morning the knight

you beat me by one year of going racing,your story of dancing brave reminds me of a superb era of both national hunt and flat racing and also reminds me of an amusing tale although not one from the racecourse.

back in the 80s i had a few punters one of which was known as odds on alan a young lad who would think nothing of betting a ten hundred to one on in the snooker or the rugby or a 500 for 200 on ,on the horses,alan had a stammer and one day midweek before the 86 eclipse {i know your story was the king george}he rang me up and says hello pete what pppppprice is ddddancing bbbrave for the king gggggeorge on ssssaturday,i replied 11/8 alan ,on thanks ppppete can i have tttttwo hundred pounds on it pppplease ,yep no problem alan but you do know thats not odds on dont you,he replies yyyyes but it ffffffuc.ing should be.

i still bump into alan from time to time incredably you can not get him of the karoke nowadays.

your quite right the knight almost all days are quite memorable at the track.
By:
jimnast
When: 09 Jan 22 09:50
ffs after all that i said the king george it was the eclipse Blush
By:
jimnast
When: 09 Jan 22 09:58
also agree with gooner about anti post bets as presents .
By:
lead on
When: 09 Jan 22 10:23
the karaoke probly helps him with the stammer,jimnast
By:
jimnast
When: 09 Jan 22 10:38
perhaps it has lead on ,even when chatting to him now its unnoticeable.
By:
penzance
When: 09 Jan 22 10:41
you gave him a nice bet there,Jimnast,The Brave
won that around 1/2-4/9,did'nt he?
By:
Christysonfire
When: 09 Jan 22 10:43
Interesting reply Onlooker. Although the trainer in question couldn't lie straight in bed, I think on this occasion it was lack of observation.

I'm so pleased that some of you appreciated the story. Although I'm in my seventies now, I have a seventeen year old daughter who tells me I'll get old when my memories are more than my dreams. I guess as racing fans and punters that'll never happen to any of us!

That leads me on to a little learning being a dangerous thing. It's July 1999 Goodwood festival week, which as an avid NH fan, I'm avoiding. Friday morning the phone rings.  'Three of us are going racing, wanna join us?' But I decline. I'm busy in the garden. Phone rings again 'We're passing your door...we'll pick you up.'
I've always been weak willed, a lift to the course , a country pub lunch on the way, and the sun is shining. At the track my good friend and I decide on a placepot. The other two decline the offer. So we spend a full fifteen minutes having a study up. One each in the six races and we approach the lady in red in the kiosk, having marked up the slip for a pound stake. 'So, that'll be 64.00' she says. We look at each other and decide that's a lot for a Friday flutter. ' Why don't you do it for a 50p stake? That'll be 16 pounds each?'We're on!
  Six races later, six unplaced favourites later, and with a pool that has rolled over all week (we didn't know about that). It pays 21,538 to a pound. So we turned our backs on over 10k but went up to the tote office( I don't keep that sort of cash in my kiosk, she said), drew a cheque for 10k and went out to party with the 769.35 in change. I used to have the newspaper clipping from Saturday in a frame declaring a world record (beaten many times since). Isn't it funny the things she chucks away when you move out and get divorced. Laugh
By:
jimnast
When: 09 Jan 22 11:01
indeed penzance he went of much shorter cant remember if something was pulled out of the race on the lead up clearly it was the wrong price,it was of course a different era with no exchanges to guide people.
By:
jimnast
When: 09 Jan 22 11:07
nothing weak willed about having a country pub lunch christy Happy
By:
Celtic warrior
When: 09 Jan 22 11:46
For me an autumn meeting at ascot, that good 3yo 1m4f hanicap.about 12 years back

Just looked at my raceform private handicap and one at 25-1 was second top rated. Told my wife and our best friend who were there for a day out that this was a case of massive price irrespective of result. End of the line had £70 on at 28-1. Probably 60-1 betfair mind you.

Bookie begging the stewards enquiry to go his way

Ended up emptying his satchel....all in scottish notes!
By:
Storm Alert
When: 09 Jan 22 11:55
I've told this story before, I'm not proud of myself but here goes...

One of my mates had been made redundant just before Christmas and had received a large payoff and annually we used to have a BDO "boys day out" racing day every year in December. So that year (mid 90's) we headed off to Plumpton. We had been given "Le Chat Noir" as a tip in one of the early races, and it duly won. Quite a few beers followed by several bottles of Bollinger later we were basically wasted. But on a fabulous betting day most of us managing four winners. In the last, there was a decent favourite that we all got stuck into and picked up some serious wads.

I was standing in the queue to pick up my wad and due to my inebriated state, I suddenly and without warning projectile vomited over a stranger in front of me. It was so embarrassing, I rushed to toilets and whilst I was sorting myself out the guy came in and took his shirt off and was washing it in the sink. I was apologising profusely but he was telling me to stay away. Anyway, eventually we both had to collect our money and all the bookies had gone except one who was waiting for us two. The look of distain the bookie gave me when paying me out was something to behold.

The train home was packed and no 2nd class seats so we sat in a 1st class carriage and this one commuter got really shirty with us and pulled the communication chord. The guard turned up took no action against us but threatened to fine the guy. We all got off in Croydon and carried on drinking in a hotel opposite the BR station. When it was time to go home I kept crossing a busy road and getting confused and then walking through an underpass and ending up back outside the hotel. I must have done it several times as eventually a member of the public asked where I was trying to get to as she was worried I was going to get run over. She ended up holding my hand and guiding me into the station (apparently the main entrance was closed for building works which I couldn't assimilate).

Disgraceful behaviour by me, but exceptional tolerance and help from two complete strangers. That day out often pops up in conversation, both for the notoriety and the amount of money we all won and how we all managed to get home safely. I had to navigate across London.
By:
Trendy
When: 09 Jan 22 12:08
Great thread this,like a throwback to how this forum used to be,well done posters.
By:
punchestown
When: 09 Jan 22 12:25
Backed The Listener for way more than I normally would for on the morning of a big Grade 1 @ Leopardstown fully expecting the price to contract and lay off most of it pre race,it did the exact opposite and drifted badly before the off and you couldn't "keep" your bet alive on here back then without being online when the race started to re-enter the lay.

I was at a funeral and couldn't go online but it made every yard under Daryl Jacob.
By:
jimnast
When: 09 Jan 22 12:25
I remember the first time I ever went racing it was haydock in 1977 I was aware binoculars were very popular but as I had none I borrowed my dads telescope I must have looked a right t.at Blush
By:
jimnast
When: 09 Jan 22 12:29
Blimey punchestown that just shows you how long betfair has been going the listener seems a lifetime.
By:
punchestown
When: 09 Jan 22 12:31
Yeah jimnast,think it was about 2008,the keep your bet alive thing took them years to implement here.
By:
paulo47
When: 09 Jan 22 12:40
EastLowergooner , I didnt know about the Xmas ante post bet present , until this year when , at a meetup curry in London , my mate gave me a card with a Ladcrooks ticket inside , Ginto 33/1 £10ew Albert Bartlett . What a gent .
By:
jimnast
When: 09 Jan 22 13:19
How times change denman won the Lexus and an English 1 2 in the Irish gold cup
By:
jimnast
When: 09 Jan 22 13:20
I think the race you refer to in the 2006 Lexus where he beat beef or salmon and war of attrition
By:
elise
When: 09 Jan 22 13:29
I had none I borrowed my dads telescope I must have looked a right t.at.... it was the eye patch and the parrot that made you look daft mate
By:
punchestown
When: 09 Jan 22 13:31
I think the race you refer to in the 2006 Lexus where he beat beef or salmon and war of attrition

-------------------------------------------

Think you're right Excited
By:
jimnast
LaughLaughDevil
By:
jimnast
Above was for elise
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by: