Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
super spurs
13 Nov 21 18:33
| Topic/replies: 3,755 | Blogger: super spurs's blog
Simple minds 4 me.
Pause Switch to Standard View Whats the best band u have seen live???
Show More
Report ladycarla November 13, 2021 7:52 PM GMT
Prince absolute all rounder.
Report super spurs November 13, 2021 7:53 PM GMT
Correspondent.yes I would love to see the specials.massive fan.seen ub40 6 times love them my sort of music.
Report StillLearning November 13, 2021 7:55 PM GMT
been to over 70 gigs but I reckon tool in Manchester next year will be the best.

up to now? probably ac/dc at men arena and eagles at McAlpine stadium Huddersfield tied in 1st
Report StillLearning November 13, 2021 7:56 PM GMT
seen foo fighters and Radiohead both 4 times they are Good live
Report monarch November 13, 2021 7:58 PM GMT
I'm getting a dose of gig envy reading this. Would have loved to have seen The Clash. Also I never got the chance to see Bowie. Or Tom Petty.
Report super spurs November 13, 2021 8:02 PM GMT
still earning.seen madness at the m.e.n arean Manchester a few years ago.
Report Tiger Tiger November 13, 2021 8:03 PM GMT
Any of you guys ever been on a Rock Legends Cruise? Fantastic cruise and sells out every year. Departs Fort Lauderdale with nearly 5,000 rock fans on board an up to 22 different bands who play three times each over the 4 nights of the cruise.

I went in 2018, its expensive of course but as a one off it was fantastic, the bands who were on board with you for the full cruise that year were:

Sammy Hagar & The Circle ~ Bad Company

John Kay & Steppenwolf ~ Blue Oyster Cult ~ Uriah Heep

Elvin Bishop ~ Molly Hatchet ~ Vanilla Fudge ~ Quiet Riot

Rik Emmett & Resolution 9 ~ The Black Star Riders

The Artimus Pyle Band ~ Pat Travers Band ~ Zebra

Gary Hoey ~ Eric Gales ~ The Devon Allman Band

Two Wolf ~ Mike Zito ~ Andrew Hagar aka Drew Hagus

Brandon "Taz" Niederauer ~ The Damn Truth

The 2022 cruise is already sold out, Bad Company are playing again and so are Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, The Outlaws and oads more.
Report Tiger Tiger November 13, 2021 8:05 PM GMT
Black Star Riders are really Thin Lizzy, without Phil of course.
Report blackbarn November 13, 2021 8:06 PM GMT
I am 70 and I think I saw nearly anyone who was anyone between 1967 and 1980, BUT I never saw the Clash or the Undertones, my two big regrets.
Report pandora1963 November 13, 2021 8:06 PM GMT
bootleg beatles and ELO
Report screaming from beneaththewaves November 13, 2021 8:21 PM GMT
I did see the Undertones at Bracknell Sports Centre in 1979, and I wasn't even a particular fan of the Undertones. Life isn't fair, is it?
Report blackbarn November 13, 2021 8:23 PM GMT
screaming!  great post re the undertones. I AM jealous but I bet I am holding a few trumps
Report TheNorfolkMafia November 13, 2021 8:29 PM GMT
The Beatles - ABC Cinema, Great Yarmouth, (June 30, 1963)

The Beatles - ABC Cinema, Great Yarmouth, (July 28, 1963)
Report FOYLESWAR November 13, 2021 8:30 PM GMT
just looked up the charlton concert ,the who ,lindisfarn ,bad company ,
http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/charlton-1974.html
Report FOYLESWAR November 13, 2021 8:31 PM GMT
pity i was too out of it to remember that much ^^^ ,
Report FOYLESWAR November 13, 2021 8:32 PM GMT
did ya keep the tickets skinto?
Report sixtwosix November 13, 2021 8:34 PM GMT
Judas Priest 1981
Report TheNorfolkMafia November 13, 2021 8:37 PM GMT
FOYLESWAR • November 13, 2021 8:32 PM GMT
did ya keep the tickets skinto?

Sadly, No!
Report FOYLESWAR November 13, 2021 8:46 PM GMT
SadCry skinto ,my aunt followed the beatles as a teenager, one of those screamers who went to many gigs and she collected a lot of gear with anything to do with the beatles ,had loads of stuff from talcom powder with the fab 4 on the tin beatles toy plastic  guitars gum cards etc ,anyway as the years went by she got married and grew out of them so to speak , i was at her brothers house in the 80s and asked him what happened to her beatles stuff ! he said  oh that shyte what was in the loft i chucked it in the skip i hired when i was clearing the garden !       Cry
Report TheNorfolkMafia November 13, 2021 8:51 PM GMT
I was 15 years old and me and two of my friends, one of which, Leslie Gibbs's Mum was manageress at the Wellington Pier in Great Yarmouth and used to get us free tickets for all the shows at the now defunct ABC Cinema in Great Yarmouth!
Report TheNorfolkMafia November 13, 2021 8:55 PM GMT
FOYLESWAR • November 13, 2021 8:46 PM GMT
SadCry skinto ,my aunt followed the beatles as a teenager, one of those screamers who went to many gigs and she collected a lot of gear with anything to do with the beatles ,had loads of stuff from talcom powder with the fab 4 on the tin beatles toy plastic  guitars gum cards etc ,anyway as the years went by she got married and grew out of them so to speak , i was at her brothers house in the 80s and asked him what happened to her beatles stuff ! he said  oh that shyte what was in the loft i chucked it in the skip i hired when i was clearing the garden !       Cry

Goodbye to a small fortune!

Cry
Report Storm Alert November 13, 2021 9:14 PM GMT
I saw Dr Feelgood, Hawkwind, Judas Priest & Thin Lizzy at the Reading Pop Festival 1975. I went to three concerts there 1973-1975 and looking back the line ups were fantastic.
Report six_six_six November 13, 2021 9:23 PM GMT
The Ramones at The Rainbow New Year's Eve 1977 was pretty good fun.
Report N-east Correspondent November 13, 2021 9:27 PM GMT
Seen pretty much all the punk, new wave, post punk bands, then the 80s indie ones

Saw The Jam numerous times and went to a couple of the farewell concerts in London 1982
Talking Heads were awesome but a very strange audience and me and my two pals certainly stuck out
Buzzcocks supported by Joy Division another real highlight..so many great nights
Report screaming from beneaththewaves November 13, 2021 9:29 PM GMT
All right. Here goes, the highlights ...

First ever gig - Horslips (Irish folk-rock band) at Hammy Odeon. Can't remember a thing about it. I'd never heard Horslips before, and didn't listen to them afterwards either. But a cool lad from school called Cillian wanted someone to go with, and nobody else would. Gary Webb, alias Gary Numan, was also at my school, but he was in the fifth form while I was in the first form, so we were never "Friends", never mind Electric. He wouldn't have had any Cars then either.

Dylan and Clapton at Blackbushe 1978 (I would have been sixteen at the time; what were my parents thinking, letting me spend the weekend there?) - the best band on that bill was Graham Parker and the Rumour, as I remember it, but that would have been because it felt like midnight by the time the Zim finally reached the stage. The sun had been shining all day, I had discovered Dry Blackthorn cider, and by that time I just wanted to try out my new sleeping bag.

Led Zep at Knebworth 1979 - 18th birthday, August, a bunch of schoolmates having a last hoorah before we all went our separate ways. The band rose to the occasion.

There were loads of acts at the Hammy Odeon in 1979. Rush were spectacular, bringing their US stadium rig to a venue several sizes too small. Then there was Lou Reed. My God he was a disappointment - the only time I saw an act that really didn't want to be there, just going through the motions.

The gig that changed everything was at the Electric Ballroom in Camden on the last Friday before Christmas 1979. Entrance £2.50. First came a serviceable band from Leeds, called the Expelaires. Then Scritti Politti, when they were still free-form, improvisational crusties. It all seemed to end in a version of Hark The Herald Angels Sing. Great fun. Then an absolute shambles of an act called A Flock Of Seagulls. They mooched on stage, only for one of the Seagulls to be unhappy with his tuning. Of course, once he'd re-tuned, everyone else was out of tune. Cue arguments, sulking and a right racket, as everybody turned out to have a different idea of what "E" should sound like. Then one of the Seagulls took exception to the advice that was beginning to be offered from the audience, and after a lively exchange of views the whole band stomped off stage left, all the way to massive success in the States, as it happened.

After the bottles had been cleared away, the Teardrop Explodes emerged, and my God, was Julian Cope and that band brilliant. He was still holding it together at that point, his vocals soared, his bass was spot-on, and Treason sounded like the best pop single ever. Left the audience in raptures.

And then the stage was wreathed in dry ice, which cleared to reveal a forest glade, and the Bunnymen in camo, with Echo the drum machine in the background, and I heard (and saw) the band I'd always dreamt of.

What a winter that was. Apparently I saw the Ramones at the Top Rank Suite on Brighton seafront, and according to my mate Pete I was down there at the front, pogo-ing like mad, yet I have no recollection of the gig taking place or my presence at it at all. Annoying.

Joy Division at the Lyceum in the Strand were special. A completely different act from the records, without Martin Hannett's production. The violence of the live sound of that band sticks in the memory, along with the huge presence of Ian Curtis at the front - he was a big man, nothing like the fey poet depicted in the Control bio-pic. You knew you were in the presence of greatness.

There were other memories. Innumerable Bunnymen gigs; A Certain Ratio bringing a strobe light to the tiny Brighton Art College basement; the Golinski Brothers at the Alhambra on the seafront ("I wanna go where they've never seen snow/Send my giro to Cairo" - what a bitter winter 1978/9 had been, when the late Bob Golinski wrote that); going to see Delta 5 at the Richmond pub to ogle the singer, and staying for the funk; John Cale (odd, but good) at the Lyceum again, supported by U2 as a last-minute replacement for Subway Sect (Vic Goddard had a job in a Mecca betting shop at the time, and apparently couldn't make it). U2 were as bad as Lou Reed had been the year before. They too rocked and, indeed, rolled at all the correct moments, and had some lengths of guttering behind the stage arranged to spell out "U2", in case anyone had forgotten. They went on forever, no one asked for an encore, but they did one anyway, and I turned 20, and it was all over. The great days were gone. Nothing good happens musically or culturally when you pass nineteen.

But what memories!
Report Celtic warrior November 13, 2021 9:40 PM GMT
Guns n roses colsten hall when they were nobody

Lef leppard in brussels. Tiny hall 1995. Absoluteley awesome
Report Celtic warrior November 13, 2021 9:41 PM GMT
Oh dear i mentioned colsten the slaver. Eternal shame on me
Report 11kv November 13, 2021 9:45 PM GMT
Mott the Hoople Tiger Tiger they where legendary...Grin
Report Storm Alert November 13, 2021 9:46 PM GMT
I saw the Cure in the Rocket Pub in Crawley when they were virtually unknown, with another band called Lockjaw. That must be 40 something years ago, omg.
Report 11kv November 13, 2021 9:46 PM GMT
Genesis to Motorhead,Blondie to the Clash,Bowie to Marillion,UB40 to Bob Marley .Great days....Love
Report windsor knot November 13, 2021 10:44 PM GMT
manchester electric circus , may 1977.. 2.50 tickets ...talking heads supporting the ramones . i have the poster advertising the gig i tore down from outside the venue , framed in my hall .
Report Celtic warrior November 13, 2021 11:21 PM GMT
The ramones. One album. Fifty six 45 second songs.
Report kennethturrell1 November 14, 2021 2:23 AM GMT
Jimi Hendrix saville theatre in the days when most got paid in cash on a friday SGT Pepper was released on a thursday and Jimi stated his set playing Sgt Pepper on the sunday. The Beatles were all sitting few rows in front check it youtube. Used to cost £1.00 no booking fees .Saw Cream there plus Bowie

Saville theatre was owned at time by Brian Epstein beatles manager

Dr John at Brighton Dome. Bob Dylan Isle of Wight.

Pink Floyd Knebworth and many times at Roundhouse Camden town. (before they modernised it when it just come out being British Railways (then) locomotive turn table)

The Who Brighton seafront ballroom (now Burger King)
The Stones at the  big apple brighton thats now Boots chemist.

One worst ones was Van Morrison Dome Brighton seemed moody all night no encores seemed he did not want be there but after concert on way home he was playing sax with a jazz band upstairs bar King Queen pub a minute or so from the Dome.

When Harvey Goldsmith was at Sussex Uni he used run Sussex Uni Blues club in a little bar near seafront called jimmys see Fleetwood Mac there Chicken Shack and also Free

John Mayall blues breakers with Peter Green were good saw them Metropole ballroom Brighton
Report undertaker November 14, 2021 7:51 AM GMT
Motorhead gigs were always a fun experience. After one such night, I went into work the next day and was so deaf I could not use my phone all day. Bearing in mind I worked in an office at the time, where answering the phone to customers was about 50% of the job description, this caused a bit of a problem.
Report Facts November 14, 2021 8:29 AM GMT
Led Zeppelin- Birmingham Town Hall 1970
Thin Lizzy - De Montfort Hall, Leicester,1983
Report Johnny_Mustang November 14, 2021 8:46 AM GMT
Back in he 80's a friend said "mate, you've got to go see ZZ Top". And so I did, at the Rainbow Finsbury Park. Hsd never heard of them and out walked these three odd-looking blokes ( I thought they were the roadies at first) with a couple of guitars and amps, no stage set, barely any lighting either and I thought "This could be a long evening". It wasn't, it was a sublime evening of sensational, soulful blues.

Also saw quite literally thousands of bands over the years at The Marquee, Wardour Street = perhaps the finest venue in London in those days.

Oh, by the way - message to Super Spurs the OP - when you said earlier it's great, nobody is slagging anyone off on this thread. I'd just like to say Tottenham are complete and utter gash.

Cheers, Johnny.
Report sparrow November 14, 2021 9:23 AM GMT
Laugh
Report Macintoshmatty November 14, 2021 9:39 AM GMT
Bruce Springsteen and E street band, probably about 25 years ago

Bob Dylan at Earls Court, time of Street Legal album

Thin Lizzy at Lancaster Uni , late 70s,

Saw Mandolin Orange (they've now changed their name)in a pub in Nottingham a couple of years back, great mandolin player and the prettiest girl in the world!!!(his wife now)

John Smith ( solo) in a pub in Leicester, there were about 14 of us, one of the best acoustic guitarist around
Report Pilsudski November 14, 2021 10:11 AM GMT
The Blue Nile.
Report Blackrock November 14, 2021 10:23 AM GMT
Wouldn't be a concert goer really. But the missus has dragged me along to Eminem, Kings of Leon [Slane]. Eminem was very good. Don't even remember KOL.

Also AC/DC at the Eviva. Just a load of noise as far as i was concerned. Have to go to Billy Idol in Manchester next year. Things i do so i can go out on the drink.
Report unbiased November 14, 2021 10:26 AM GMT
As with the posters I was fortunate to see many top bands,and often at the venues mentioned on here,great places too,but one important band hasn't been mentioned.
Yes,the top bands had some brilliant musicians,and wrote some great songs,but for shear atmosphere it had to be
  GENO WASHINGTON and THE RAM JAM BAND.
Majority of their performance was soul hits from other bands,but had EVERY venue wherever they performed always sold out.The band would build up the excitement in the audience with a couple of numbers before Geno ran onto the stage to start belting out the songs and non stop.Not the greatest quality,but certainly an adrenaline rush.
Report know all November 14, 2021 10:26 AM GMT
sex pistols leeds uni november 77, 50p to get in, first on the clash, 2nd jonny thunder and heartbreakers, from new york dolls and if you want to hear one of the best songs just listern to, jet boys  new york dolls amazing, 3rd on the damned and then the pistols, everything changed that night nothing has come close since, met billy idol with generation x at the fforde green leeds, pub in leeds 77, early jam were good.
Report sixtwosix November 14, 2021 10:45 AM GMT
Priest 1981
Pixies / My Bloody Valentine 1988
Rainbow 1980
Saxon 1981
Foo Fighters 1996ish....when they still played small venues
Captain Sensible Cool
Stiff Little Fingers
Fields Of The Nephilim 1988
Dinosaur Jr 1989
The Mission 1989
Report lil November 14, 2021 11:17 AM GMT
ELO
Report TheFerrett November 14, 2021 11:35 AM GMT
Big Country were far better than Simple Minds live. All the minds songs went along at same tempo. Skids were great live as well. Thin Lizzy were excellent but pre the bigger venues.
Report SlippyBlue November 14, 2021 12:14 PM GMT
Funny you should say that TheFerrett, I saw The Rolling Stones at Hockenheim with Big Country and I enjoyed Big Country's set far more than the Stones who were a bit of a mess I thought.

Springsteen at Wembley stadium was pretty good and AC/DC, Depeche Mode were up there at the top of my list but for the sheer joy of seeing music live then my #1 would have to be Carter USM at the Brixton Academy. I saw them 5 or 6 times there and they were always superb.
Report duncan idaho November 14, 2021 12:15 PM GMT
any vote for 1988-89 vintage Pixies..Kilburn National on a roasting July evening with sweat dripping from the ceiling and the entire sell-out crowd effectively a moshpit..never been bettered
Report duncan idaho November 14, 2021 12:15 PM GMT
another (not any)
Report N-east Correspondent November 14, 2021 12:16 PM GMT
Know all that's some line-up - Johnny Thunders and the heartbreakers were a brilliant band never got to see them live but L.A.M.F. is a classic album
and amazingly there only studio album - unfortunately heroin got in the way of them progressing any further - though he did have a couple of decent solo songs

one other that sticks out is Gang of Four at Aberdeen University Union wasnt a student so getting in was sometimes fraught especially as one of the porters had taken a dislike to me for whatever reason, however my mate was a trainee journalist so we used press passes to stroll in and then get into their dressing room to meet them and share a couple of beers, Andy Gill (sadly died last year) was very cool and welcoming as were the others.

Damned played Dundee Art College's Christmas bash when I was an apprentice compositor and had to go their from time to time - it was utter chaos and they nearly got chucked out for their conduct (wasnt that bad the usual drinking swearing etc_ for slagging all the sensitive art boys and chasing after anything female with a pulse...
Report duncan idaho November 14, 2021 12:18 PM GMT
Nothing good happens musically or culturally when you pass nineteen.

Laugh
Report colupaul November 14, 2021 12:27 PM GMT
Any of you guys who saw The Jam regular, did you go to the gig at the Sobell (?) Centre in North London the same night The Exploited were playing nearby?
Report tom-tom November 14, 2021 12:43 PM GMT
Method Tull.
Report Johnny The Guesser November 14, 2021 12:48 PM GMT
The Clash (1980)
IDLES (2018)
The Specials /Selector/Dexys in Coventry (1980)

My top three ...with special mention to The Vaccines (2021) - small venue ..marvellous
Report N-east Correspondent November 14, 2021 12:55 PM GMT
Colupaul - no but can imagine what happened... also remember reading about one of the Jam concerts in Paris and it was a battleground afterwards because all the Parisian Skinheads came down after tooled up itching for a fight - carnage ensued

the worst I ever seen at a concert was again at Aberdeen Uni The Adverts were playing along with another a decent support band which escapes me now
unfortunately the Angelic Upstarts were playing the following night and all the skins following them along with local ones infiltrated the concert
absolute mayhem and the gig was stopped numerous times as fights broke out all over the place...
Report Johnny The Guesser November 14, 2021 1:06 PM GMT
The Adverts always put on a good show - Worth catching TV Smith and the Bored Teenagers next year - Will play all of the Crossing the Red Sea album - a good night out.
Report steerforth November 14, 2021 1:10 PM GMT
Top three
Mott The Hoople 1972 Newcastle City Hall. (pre Glam era)
Red Hot Chili Peppers Ajax Stadium 2004
REM Portman Road Ipswich 2005

Got tickets for Bootleg Beatles at Cambridge early next year which was meant to be 2020 then 21, but postponed both times for Covid - so its good to see a couple of thumbs up for them on here. My son saw them at Glastonbury a couple of years ago and said they were awesome.
Report Deptford November 14, 2021 1:23 PM GMT
I was a Punf from an early age, too many to mention but what great times.
Report JRAS November 14, 2021 1:26 PM GMT
Interesting how many punk gigs are being mentioned. Ive been to hundreds but here are the ones that stand out, in no particular order.
Thin Lizzy at Cornwall Coliseum 83
The Clash at Exeter Uni 78 - my first ever proper gig.
The Jam at Exeter Uni 79
The Stranglers all 25 or so times I've seen them, but especially in the pouring rain at Beautiful Days
Stiff Little Fingers every time as well
Slade at Exeter Uni in 1980 or so
Motorhead 25th Anniversary gig at Hammersmith Odeon
Madness/Selector/Specials
3 Daft Monkeys at the Avalon, Glastonbury in 2014
Levellers followed by Carter USM at Glastonbury in 91?
but topping the lot,
The Damned at Beautiful Days in I think 2017. The headliners didnt show so they got to play a double set and it was amazing
Report screaming from beneaththewaves November 14, 2021 1:30 PM GMT
I remember Eddie Fremantle once telling me about one of those Jam gigs where there was a huge ruck between the mods and the skins - the one they played at the Marquee in 1980 under the name "John's Boys".
Report fronter November 14, 2021 1:39 PM GMT
Storm Alert

Storm Alert
13 Nov 21 19:02
| Topic/replies: 6,519 | Blogger: Storm Alert's blog
Queen, It's A Kind Of Magic Tour, Wembley 88'. Although Roger Waters Hyde Park 2018 had an amazing sound and light show.

Totally agree with you Storm and Freddie was electric on stage absolutley unreal performance but I'm sure the band didn't tour again and it was 1986 not 1988, I remember it well I was there too!
Report morpteh mackem November 14, 2021 1:46 PM GMT

Nov 14, 2021 -- 4:11AM, Pilsudski wrote:

The Blue Nile.

saw them at manchester free trade hall , early 90s tremendous

Report Llamedos November 14, 2021 2:02 PM GMT
Pink Floyd Gentofte Stadion Copenhagen 1988 tour
Report misselephantstone November 14, 2021 2:04 PM GMT
Roxy music at glasgow apollo 79 i believe or 80...
Report stewarts rise November 14, 2021 2:15 PM GMT
Slade at the belfry about 71/72
The Stranglers, Barbarellas about 77
The Eagles 76 at Stafford Bingley Hall
The Rolling Stones same place 76, before the NEC was built Stafford Bingley Hall was the place in the Midlands!
Santana, Odeon New St.
Report Levelsteakprophet November 14, 2021 2:46 PM GMT
Free - Oxford town hall 1970
Report Gordon63 November 14, 2021 2:53 PM GMT
stiff little fingers - capitol theatre aberdeen 1979 when the EP was recorded (not seen them at barrowland or custom house belfast but many who have say these are the top shows)

skids - ABC Glasgow for the 40th anniversary tour 2017, richard jobson dancing around like a possessed bodybuilder
Report Storm Alert November 14, 2021 4:26 PM GMT
I saw SLF at the Brixton Academy early 90's and they were excellent, but gutted they didn't perform Johnny Was. England were playing at the same time and they had a big TV screen up with the match showing.
Report mecca November 14, 2021 4:33 PM GMT
Angelic Upstarts @ Club Lafayette Wolves '78 I think.. (maybe '79)

Not the best I've seen .. but the most memorable. They only played 2 or 3 songs and then all hell broke loose. Like a cross between a cowboy barroom  brawl and a full on riot. Those Brummie skinheads never came back again
Report jackboo November 14, 2021 4:43 PM GMT
dads army on tv lol
Report Gordon63 November 14, 2021 5:00 PM GMT
upstarts played scotland calling in glasgow 2018 - who killed liddle was well received!!  same bill had the ruts (with the deep bass sound), buzzcocks (pete shelley died few months later, with hindsight he didn't look too well that night) and cockney rejects (never realised before how linked to west ham)
Report doorman99 November 14, 2021 6:07 PM GMT
Saw Simple Minds a few yrs ago, pretty disappointing. Most recent seen Tony Hadley twice, excellent, doesn't just do Spandau stuff, can pretty much make a good job of anyone's work, gr8 voice and showman. Saw ABC/Howard Jones/Toyah at Bristol Colston Hall many yrs ago, all excellent. Bruce Springsteen (Villa Park) goes on too long and Madonna was good (Wembley, Like A Virgin tour).
Report sixtwosix November 14, 2021 6:35 PM GMT
I saw Kraftwerk at the Royal Albert Hall 3 years ago ....it was terrific.

This was my first trip to a 'proper' music audiotorium ....... from that never day I decided never again to go to a gigantic glorified warehouse because it suits a performed to maximize their money ....in a sweltering hellhole.Cool
Report Pilsudski November 14, 2021 6:49 PM GMT
Also,Love and Money.James Grant a superb songwriter.And great voice.
Report boingingbaggie November 14, 2021 7:21 PM GMT
1 Bowie

2 Curtis Mayfield

3 The Specials, Selecter
Report Tiger Tiger November 14, 2021 7:29 PM GMT
11kv13 Nov 21 21:45Joined: 21 Jan 06 |
Mott the Hoople Tiger Tiger they where legendary...Grin

They were indeed 11kv, and with Queen as support band....the evening was awesome!
Report Tiger Tiger November 14, 2021 7:40 PM GMT
steerforth14 Nov 21 13:10Joined: 29 Apr 06
Top three
Mott The Hoople 1972 Newcastle City Hall. (pre Glam era)
Red Hot Chili Peppers Ajax Stadium 2004
REM Portman Road Ipswich 2005

Got tickets for Bootleg Beatles at Cambridge early next year which was meant to be 2020 then 21, but postponed both times for Covid - so its good to see a couple of thumbs up for them on here. My son saw them at Glastonbury a couple of years ago and said they were awesome.

Steerforth - wasnt that the concert that was cut short because of 'technical problems' ie....Buffin the drummer was pissed as a fart and couldnt carry on?
Report Deplasterer November 14, 2021 9:18 PM GMT
Beautiful South, around 95,was along with my babe then, so special.

Best concert really was Rush in MEN in Manchester, possibly 2007,not good with years.
Report ladycarla November 14, 2021 9:38 PM GMT
George Michael best voice sings a story and gets right in your heart.
Report GLASGOWCALLING November 14, 2021 10:03 PM GMT
David Bowie. (1973)    Ziggy Stardust

Deep purple.  (1974)    Smoke on the water.

Both at the Gaumont Southampton. ....... Happy days. Happy
Report ladycarla November 14, 2021 11:34 PM GMT
GM the best not a one trick pony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omsBhh8vA7c
Report windsor knot November 14, 2021 11:47 PM GMT
my word boys ....some brilliant stuff on this thread . i've seen plenty but there are still some jaw droppers on here !well done .
Report LoyalHoncho November 15, 2021 2:09 AM GMT
The Alexander Brothers.  Absolutely brilliant!
Report werbie November 15, 2021 9:13 AM GMT
Slade stepped in for Blizzard of Oz at reading festival 1980 but the heavy metal audience tried their hardest to can the Glam Rockers off the stage. But Slade were having none of it, they stuck it out and  went down a storm! It was the rebirth of a band who were getting left behind. Other bands like UFO ( It was Pitch black when a plane flew over the field, lasers shot out from the stage and out of the sky appeared illuminated UFO's descending on the audience. The band fired up, what a show!!! )   Whitesnake, Rory Gallagher Ian gillan band, Def leopard. Definitely remember some of itHappy
Report LoyalHoncho November 15, 2021 3:01 PM GMT
"some of it".  Nice one.
Personally, I loved every concert that didn't have a drum solo during band break time.  The biggest bore ever devised in live shows.  Black Sabbath were stupendous.
Report howard November 15, 2021 3:16 PM GMT
haven't seen too many live but Dave Clark Five Yarmouth pier show mid sixties memorable.
Report know all November 15, 2021 3:45 PM GMT
david bowie 1976 white light tour london after his retirement first concert back, we had the hair dyed red went down on the national coach bus and got b and b with a mate at kings cross and remember knocking on the digs door to ask if they had a room and him smiling put us in a double bed room with toilet next to the bed lol thought we were gay with 2 mops of red hair and bowie jackets on also went to screening of his new film release the man who fell to earth in piccadily square.
Report mrcombustible November 15, 2021 4:05 PM GMT
Thin Lizzy before they became famous, played at our end of term school dance. Booked them for £35 circa 1969
Phil Lynott, Eric Bell and one other
Report bettysboy November 15, 2021 5:10 PM GMT
absolutely agree mrcombustible, saw them three times and even got to go "backstage".
Report bettysboy November 15, 2021 5:14 PM GMT
Ian Drury was also a goodun, as was Amy Mcdonald, many years later. Was also lucky enough to go to the Led Zep reunion at O2, as i had tickets for their 1972? gig at Earls Court that they cancelled.
Report Lee Ho Fooks November 16, 2021 9:07 PM GMT
Free, Leeds University
Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, Roundhay Park Leeds
Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes - what a show!
Honourable mention as I got to see Dory Previn, I never thought I'd ever see her as she was terrified of flying

Worst - Focus (they were the main band & played for 30 mins with no encore, what a rip off)

Biggest regret never got to see old velvet nose live although it was my fault as I was at Center Parks on the continent when he was playing a gig in London. Knowing how much I liked him the wife suggested I left her & the kids at CP for a couple of days if I wanted to fly over to London to see him (true love or what?).

A couple of comments on previous posts - to unbiased I got my date wrong when I went to Leeds Uni to see Pink Floyd it was Geno Washington & his Ram Jam Band who were playing so went in to watch & everyone in the audience except one enthusiastic man (was that you unbiased?) standing there throughout the concert bored at what we were watching, sorry. To stewarts rise I followed the Stones (and the funky Meters) down the country on that 1976 tour. Saw them in Glasgow, Stafford, Leicester then Earls Court in London. Highlight? A 9 piece Stones playing the encore at Granby Hall because Eric Clapton walked onto the stage at the end, plugged his guitar in and played on the last couple of songs.
Report brassneck November 16, 2021 10:10 PM GMT
Pink Floyd /earls court/early seventies/An aeroplane crashed into stage causing a massive explosion to start the show (all part of the show) and when the smoke and dust settled the group broke the silence to the tune of "dark side of the moon"Grin
Report Deplasterer November 17, 2021 12:30 AM GMT
The Beautiful South, Ulster Hall mid 90s,great interaction with the audience along with their great songs.

Rush, O2 London, Time machine tour, played the entirity of Moving Pictures back to back, fantastic musicians.
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl November 17, 2021 7:19 PM GMT
Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac just prior to COVID19 at Ballsbridge................brilliant and plenty Rockshore beer to keep us cool. Also saw Bob Dylan with Van the man and Carole King and that's the night that after the show in the dark Carole fell 15feet from the stage in the process badly breaking her wrist. Carole not familiar with the stage got lost when the lights went down. What a wonderful artist Carole King......great album Tapestry........
Report LoyalHoncho November 18, 2021 8:21 PM GMT
This thread really demonstrates just how important music has been to us.  What we enjoyed before the "boy band" era was forced upon the business was just sensational, and we didn;t know what we had at the time.
Report MJK November 18, 2021 8:30 PM GMT
My first 'gig' was Big Country RDS Dublin. Great sound.
Report Life-Lucky November 19, 2021 6:39 AM GMT
Moody Blues at the Belfry, Sutton Coldfield 1969 maybe 1970. Not sure.
Rolling Stones Romford Odeon 1964
Nearly Dan at the Fleece, Bristol 2019

But the best was a prog rock/power trio 'T2' somewhere in Essex 1970-ish
Their album 'It'll All Work Out In Boomland' is a thrilling piece of work
Report geoff m November 19, 2021 1:16 PM GMT
multiple dead heats in this "Best Band" seen live
Report Cardinal Scott November 19, 2021 1:35 PM GMT
AC/DC Newcastle arena 1995 was a good show.  as Was Gary Moore Newcastle City a couple of years after that.
Report Cardinal Scott November 19, 2021 1:38 PM GMT

Nov 19, 2021 -- 7:35AM, Cardinal Scott wrote:

AC/DC Newcastle arena 1995 was a good show.

Report Cardinal Scott November 19, 2021 1:38 PM GMT
Suede 1996 or 1997 at Newcastle City Hall was the worst
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com