Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
prepared83
22 Oct 21 08:23
| Topic/replies: 5,363 | Blogger: prepared83's blog
Thinking of doing a last night minute trip for
racing on Sunday. Any advice on best train station to use?
(Travelling from Reading) also a decent hotel and pubs? Cheers
Show More
Report Life-Lucky October 22, 2021 9:38 AM BST
AFAIK its a fair way to the nearest station, Prep. I'm in Bristol and I'll be driving to W'ton. Let me know if you'd like a lift from and to Temple Meads
Report sageform October 22, 2021 10:34 AM BST
8 miles and 16 minutes by road from Castle Cary station to the course. Usually taxis there but not sure about Sunday. You could probably book one.
Report prepared83 October 22, 2021 1:46 PM BST
Thanks life lucky that's a really kind offer. But looks like I can get a direct train from Reading to Castle Carey. Cheers sageform will look into booking a local taxi. Doesn't seem to be many pubs in the area? Ideally find one to watch the football after racing followed by a decent curry somewhere
Report sageform October 22, 2021 2:30 PM BST
You could try the Manor House in Ditcheat and get some tips? I have driven through Wincanton town many times and have failed to see a decent restaurant, never mind a hotel but there might be one tucked away.
Report The Sawyer October 22, 2021 3:00 PM BST
prep83

When I go to Wincanton now I go to Bruton station - not sure if you would have to change at Swindon if you're coming from Reading.

Short walk into Bruton itself and to the Sun for a pint - smells of Asian food although never eaten there. There was a very nice restaurant I went with my Mrs but cant remember the name.

Landlord in the Sun got us a taxi £15/20 quid to the racecourse and picked us up and took us back to the Sun after.
Report prepared83 October 22, 2021 5:55 PM BST
Cheers for the replies lads some really helpful info here. Will see what I can organise. Thanks
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com