Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
carrot1960
21 Oct 21 13:50
| Topic/replies: 15,715 | Blogger: carrot1960's blog
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10112999/Horseracing-fan-83-refused-2-400-winnings-little-mistake-betting-slip.html#newcomment

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 77
By:
tantpis
When: 21 Oct 21 13:57
Just writing numbers down for horses is asking for trouble,if he had  written the names even if the wrong time was written he would have been paid out.I can understand him writing numbers if he was placing the bet just before the off,but he had plenty of time to write the names down for a bet like that.
By:
penzance
When: 21 Oct 21 14:04
he says one thing,they another.For £2k you'd
think a firm as big as them would payout.
Will say one thing though,that betting slip
is all over the shop.
By:
saddo
When: 21 Oct 21 14:05
2.4k? Must be a slow news day.
By:
themightymac
When: 21 Oct 21 14:07
Alan Turing would have trouble deciphering that line.
By:
GLASGOWCALLING
When: 21 Oct 21 14:09
   Mr Keane said: 'I go in Paddy Power as they say the Irish firms are the best.

LaughGrin
By:
stewarts rise
When: 21 Oct 21 14:12
Absolute scribble wasn't it, hard to make out what bet actually was, but figured out it's 5 £4 singles, a £1 super Yankee and a £5 acc making £51 staked, but his last selection came 2nd anyway in the 2.10 Hexham, presume put him on a NR for the 4.10 Chepstow.
Sure he meant 4.05 Chep but as only 4.10 race was at Newmarket you can see why they did it, ultimately if you're staking £51 It's up to you to make the bet legible.
By:
sparrow
When: 21 Oct 21 14:22
Many years ago I worked as a trainee settler checking the previous days betting slips for any settling mistake and was amazed how careless punters can be in writing out their slips. You would think a large proportion had never been educated past the age of 8 years old.
By:
dave1357
When: 21 Oct 21 14:22
Sure he meant 4.05 Chep but as only 4.10 race was at Newmarket you can see why they did it

but there is what looks like 11/2 written beside that race, which is consistent with no3 at chepstow, but no the no 3 at newmarket.

The fairyhouse time is also wrong but has odds beside it consistent with the no 1 on that race.

So if those odds were written by the counter staff then he should be paid in full.
By:
themightymac
When: 21 Oct 21 14:44
Feel sorry for the guy but it`s his own fault. If he had wrote names, he would have been paid out despite having wrong time by a couple of minutes. Don`t understand why punters just write numbers.
By:
SlippyBlue
When: 21 Oct 21 14:50
Admittedly it's a dogs dinner of a slip but for the sake of a couple of grand and all the negative publicity it has generated you'd think they would have paid the bloke in full.
By:
ballyregan
When: 21 Oct 21 15:52
goodluck 83 year gentleman I hope he gets every penny paddy power should show abit of humility
it is big money for the 83 year old and a dot in the ocean for paddy
mightymac is correct though numbers on bets are an accident waiting to happen I know a chap who did this and got involved in a wrong horse co ck up a few years back
By:
saddo
When: 21 Oct 21 15:55
Will staff still write out bets for old uns and illiterates? They used to do round here.
By:
The Management
When: 21 Oct 21 16:01
The staff are mostly illiterates these days Cry
By:
carrot1960
When: 21 Oct 21 16:32
Stewarts rise  , it's actually 5 x  £4 win singles a 50p super yankee , 5 x  £2.50  4 timers and a £5   acc   £50.50 stake

and the best part is both of the number three horses were around 10/1 so he had no chance of claiming either at 11/2
By:
Cider
When: 21 Oct 21 16:47
Poorly written for sure, but it is evidently Chep. And completely implausible to have been considered Newm.
By:
dave1357
When: 21 Oct 21 16:57
well one or other of them had what looks like 11/2 written beside them - the newmarket horse was never that price, but the average price on betfair was 8.8 for the chepstow one.  The whole issue is resolved by revealing who wrote the prices on the slip.
By:
Fashion Fever
When: 21 Oct 21 17:10
surely paddy will pay this out when someone high up hears about it
By:
slickster
When: 21 Oct 21 17:18
Someone "high up" in powers lol. Ur having a laugh. They're more illiterate than the shop staff ffs. Clueless.
By:
wroughtironronn
When: 21 Oct 21 17:27
Bookies are used to scammers trying to put ambiguous dog bets on with scribbled numbers - I feel sorry for the shop staff in shops who get daily abuse, and will no doubt have got a dose from this punter. He might be over 80 but he still has the strength to kick off in the shop hoping to get a windfall from his error
By:
the dealer
When: 21 Oct 21 17:32
Surely the amount shouldn't come in to it. If its £2k or £20k the judgement has to be the same
By:
The Management
When: 21 Oct 21 17:34
I cannot be @rsed to read the Daily Mail - so haven't looked at the bet - but I thought that to take a price on a horse you had to name the horse i.e. you don't get a price on a selection that is Numbered only.
By:
Movewiththetimes
When: 21 Oct 21 17:48
A 83 year old betting £51 on a single betting slip claiming he really needs the winnings for a holiday with his son, gambling commission be all over this for responsible gambling Sad
By:
dave1357
When: 21 Oct 21 17:51
yeah I thought that when he said every bookie in the area knows me...
By:
Movewiththetimes
When: 21 Oct 21 17:52
Any bookie managers know average stake per betting slips, been 25 years since I did it was around £5-£10 per slip depending what shop it were.
By:
BigDeal
When: 21 Oct 21 17:56
I only bet online so don't know the protocols but surely if the shop is prepared to accept ambiguity on the betting slip, they should pay up?
By:
BigDeal
When: 21 Oct 21 17:56
I only bet online so don't know the protocols but surely if the shop is prepared to accept ambiguity on the betting slip, they should pay up?
By:
Storm Alert
When: 21 Oct 21 18:58
Don't have much for the punter tbh, the slip was a scrawling mess and find it hard to believe PP would not have switched it back to Chepstow an hour before racing started if asked.

Surely the equitable way to deal with it is to split the bets 50/50 between Chepstow and Newmarket?
By:
carrot1960
When: 21 Oct 21 20:08
silksPaint The Dream (GB) 7, b g 11-1 (Mr David Brace)
ts+ Rated 147
Brian Boru (GB) - Vineuil (FR)(Muhtathir (GB))
Breeder - Mr David Brace
(Morning price: 8/1 10/1 11/1 9/1 10/1 11/1 10/1 8/1)
(Ring price: 10/1 9/1 17/2 8/1 15/2) SP 15/2

F M O'BrienConnor BraceTote Win £7.70 Place £2.30
prominent, pressed leader from 5 out, pushed along before 2 out, led last, stayed on well, won
By:
dave1357
When: 21 Oct 21 20:39
the fact remains that there are prices on the slip that don't accord with SP - so who put them there and when?
By:
glentoby
When: 21 Oct 21 21:36
The prices are not going to match with SP are they dave,the bet was placed before racing? I always try and side with the punter if there is doubt which is disputable,however the only dispute appears to be who is telling the truth.If the punter did ask for the bet to be changed before racing and they refused,then they were within their rights.However he states they informed him they had changed one selection to Nmkt and he wanted it changed to Chep which they refused.

On balance it seems unlikely they would have changed any of his selections off their own back and even more unlikely they would have refused a change had they already made one before he went back? Apart from the messy slip there has never been an issue about taking a price on numbered selections as long as the time and meeting are clear.It looks like he wrote the prices himself which would usually result in the cashier circling the prices after checking them?

Over a decade since I was in a betting shop so things may have changed?
By:
glentoby
When: 21 Oct 21 21:36
The prices are not going to match with SP are they dave,the bet was placed before racing? I always try and side with the punter if there is doubt which is disputable,however the only dispute appears to be who is telling the truth.If the punter did ask for the bet to be changed before racing and they refused,then they were within their rights.However he states they informed him they had changed one selection to Nmkt and he wanted it changed to Chep which they refused.

On balance it seems unlikely they would have changed any of his selections off their own back and even more unlikely they would have refused a change had they already made one before he went back? Apart from the messy slip there has never been an issue about taking a price on numbered selections as long as the time and meeting are clear.It looks like he wrote the prices himself which would usually result in the cashier circling the prices after checking them?

Over a decade since I was in a betting shop so things may have changed?
By:
dave1357
When: 21 Oct 21 22:18
glentoby • October 21, 2021 9:36 PM BST
The prices are not going to match with SP are they dave,the bet was placed before racing?

well obviously, that's the point. The price beside the disputed selection is much more likely to indicate chep than newm.
By:
dave1357
When: 21 Oct 21 22:24
If there was a debate, surely the price would have been amended?
By:
glentoby
When: 21 Oct 21 22:33
I get your point dave,the prices could have given an indication of the intended race? Actually looking at the slip again it looks like some of the prices are crossed out.Not a leg to stand on as far as the slip and claimed explanations go imvho?
By:
dave1357
When: 21 Oct 21 22:38
have no idea what the crosses are or even wtf the bet means, my point is simply that there are prices that seem to have been written at the time of the bet, so there must have been a discussion about them and the horses the pertain to.
By:
glentoby
When: 21 Oct 21 22:43
Agreed dave,thats why it appears he wrote them himself whether before he handed the bet over or added later.Had he handed it over with prices written on it you would expect the cashier to have circled them,standard practice?
By:
Ramruma
When: 21 Oct 21 22:59
From Paddy Power's (online) rules:-

16. Unclear instructions
The onus is on the customer to clearly communicate their intended bet.

Where a customer's bet instructions are ambiguous, Paddy Power reserves the right to settle the bet as we interpret it.

If a price is taken then this will determine the customers intended selection.

We also reserve the right to split the stakes equally between the various possibilities in the case of an unclear instruction.

https://www.paddypower.com/aboutUs/Betting.Rules/

Now, maybe the price was not "taken" if he wrote it himself, but even so 11/2 does suggest the Chepstow race, and in any case, the following line suggests splitting stakes on ambiguous selections like this.
By:
carrot1960
When: 21 Oct 21 23:31
The horse at Chepstow was never less than 15/2 and that was it's starting price
By:
Tattcorner
When: 22 Oct 21 00:35
So he overstaked by 50p...does that come into the equation?
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com