Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
know all
20 Oct 21 11:31
| Topic/replies: 2,993 | Blogger: know all's blog
talk about the goverment fiddling figures its 20%, interest rises coming
Pause Switch to Standard View Inflation dips to 3.1% in September...
Show More
Report The Management October 20, 2021 12:27 PM BST
Inflation is just another political con-trick these days - they have a different measure to suit whichever agenda they are currently lying about.

If you need a pay rise we can use the lower measure - If they want to put your council tax up it's the higher measure.

In reality they have fiddled about and manipulated the "baskets" to the extent that none of them are a very good measure of the things that normal people actually spend their money on.
Report Brian October 20, 2021 12:55 PM BST
RPI the more accurate imo is 4.9%
Report 1st time poster October 20, 2021 1:04 PM BST
its only in comparison to prices last sept, when eating out was 50% cheaper due to dish rishi eat out to help out
next months rate will be up mainly because of lecky prices this month compared to last oct
Report dave1357 October 20, 2021 1:04 PM BST
its 20%

ludicrous statement. It's going to get higher but I doubt it will get that high.
Report 1st time poster October 20, 2021 1:08 PM BST
inflation is based on a basket of goods bought at makers recommended prices , a model thats based on a niche vision of an average uk family
i certainly dont buy 50%  of goods in the latest inflation basket and the wife shops from shop to shop at various prices and if something suddenly spikes she,ll do without
coffee and milk latest goods expected to increase by 20% plus
Report sageform October 20, 2021 1:25 PM BST
In most cases you can consume 10% less without any hardship. My average credit card bill is still only 50% of what it was in 2019. Some things like council tax and electricity are not on that but most of our other shopping is. Just got out of the habit of spending. No new clothes or shoes for 20 months, half of the mileage on the car, cut my own hair, eating out down 90% etc.
Report 1st time poster October 20, 2021 1:29 PM BST
correct sage i,d suggest millions have realised in lockdown that they dont need to spend as much as they do ,whether they carry on with that or return to normal at least shows theyve got a lot of slack in the system,
my mate always said people go out of their way to spend up to what they earn,whatever the amount is,
that bloke selling shoite steak and burgers for a grand and a tonne probably proves his point
Report dustybin October 20, 2021 1:35 PM BST
sageform
you cut your own hair? haha
My father does that but as an ex-accountant he's a certified tight arse

Do you go without washing somedays too?
(not like my father)
Report 1st time poster October 20, 2021 1:44 PM BST
i mused to work with a lad who used to say great thurs today roast dinner for tea,
i used to say what do you mean great are their days when she makes things you dont like ,he said yes
LaughLaugh,
can never understand that and people experimenting with food /meals etc, plenty of choice out there without having to dabble with things you might not like,its like feeding a toddler
Report The Management October 20, 2021 1:53 PM BST
I live in hope that the pandemic/lockdown etc has made a lot of people (including the young) realise that there is not much happiness to be derived from chasing after the latest shiny plastic thing that is manufactured for peanuts in a far flung sh1thole by child/slave labour.

But most people seem very keen to get back to the god forsaken mess that they consider "normal".
Report know all October 20, 2021 2:05 PM BST
its 20%

ludicrous statement. It's going to get higher but I doubt it will get that high.

you go buy a car up 30% buy a pint by anything, gas 150% nothing gone up by 3.5%

those who are in the real world know its no where near 3.5 %
Report duncan idaho October 20, 2021 2:08 PM BST
i used to work with a lad who used to say great thurs today roast dinner for tea,
i used to say what do you mean great are their days when she makes things you dont like ,he said yes

Laugh
Report sageform October 20, 2021 2:08 PM BST
You have not seen how little hair I have leftHappy I do wash every day but only shave every other day if I am not going anywhere. That is laziness as well as to save the planet. My main pleasures are walking, bird watching and watching sport on TV so not expensive. I give money away every year to family to keep my wealth below the estate duty limit. I am much meaner about paying tax than buying goods.
Report sparrow October 20, 2021 2:17 PM BST
September’s inflation figure of 3.1% will be used to determine next year’s rise in the state pension.

This means that, from April 2022, a pensioner who receives the new full state pension can expect a rise from £179.60 a week to £185.15. For those on the basic state pension, the current figure of £137.60 will rise to £141.86 next spring.

Next year’s increase could potentially have been as high as 8%, had the government decided not to scrap its so-called ‘triple lock’ for one year, on the back of an artificially distorted picture of UK wage growth following the pandemic.

The triple lock aims to increase the state pension in line with the highest of three measures: 2.5%, CPI inflation and earnings. Earlier this year, the government said it would suspend the use of the latter after earnings data spiked as people returned to work following the termination of its furlough programme.
Report dustybin October 20, 2021 2:26 PM BST
Think Bill Bryson wrote a book all about you sageform, but I cant recall which one it was.
He makes the claim that he will never need to buy another shirt and now has all the things he needs
Report dustybin October 20, 2021 2:29 PM BST
There was a good episode of Moneybox the other week explaining how all taxes were simply moved onto fuel as a sleight of hand.
Politics is very dirty.
Report Nogoody October 20, 2021 2:48 PM BST
I've done my figures, taking into account my assets, my income and any future earnings/winnings and I reckon that I have enough money to last me for the rest of my life.........................................
as long as I don't buy anything.
Report 1st time poster October 20, 2021 3:03 PM BST
its not a distorted wage growth according to uk gov ,its the results of a well thought out policy and brexit dividend,the pensioners will just have to put an extra layer on
Report sageform October 20, 2021 3:03 PM BST
I don't agree with everything that Extinction rebellion does but I agree with the idea that there is enough clothing sitting in houses and shops to clothe a generation without making any more. I have a few birthday presents, shirts and jumpers, that have been sitting in my wardrobe for a few years and still not opened. Luckily my size has not changed much in 30 years. My spending strike does not include chocolate. A large bar of Tesco plain has been £1 for years and I consume 2 each week. Muesli is cheaper as are fresh grapes, both of which I like.
Report sageform October 20, 2021 3:05 PM BST
If we get 3.1% on pensions, that is more than I expected. I thought they had decided on 2.5% until the covid19 distortions settled down.
Report 1st time poster October 20, 2021 3:06 PM BST
only problem is we,re a service economy built on people spending money they havnt got on things they dont need,
theres no putting that genie back in the bottle
Report dustybin October 20, 2021 3:15 PM BST
‘Look at all these things I don’t need!’  Socrates
Report 1st time poster October 20, 2021 3:18 PM BST
he couldnt live without the cigarettes  though , Wink
Report sageform October 20, 2021 3:32 PM BST
No law says we all have to participate though. It is not new. One of my economics lecturers at Uni in 1965 said that the US economy was built on waste. As we are desperately short of people to do essential jobs, perhaps I am helping by not buying manufactured goods.
Report 1st time poster October 20, 2021 3:35 PM BST
those so called essential jobs include delivering sed rubbish to the market
Report Brian October 20, 2021 3:39 PM BST
Aren't the government lucky that the inflation rate that governs pension increases has gone down this month.
Report 1st time poster October 20, 2021 3:40 PM BST
was reading a piece by haulier/business experts for the times saying we,re despewrate for level 2 skilled people
as a 4 year trade apprenticeship is considered level 3
i assume level 2 is what was once known as unskilled, i,m not against believing everyone has a skill to offer but why would anyone who,s been told their skilled work for, 8,9,10,£11 an hr and if people think they should get £15 an hr why would anyone spend 4 yrs learning a level 3 skill unless your been paid £20 plus an hr for it,which millions arnt
Report Cider October 20, 2021 3:44 PM BST
People who pay tax pay for state pensions, not the government. Considering everyone has had their lives fukked over in the theoretical aim to stop people of state pension age dying, they don't have too much to complain about.
Report dustybin October 20, 2021 3:49 PM BST
On a law of averages it tends to be people of working age who get the s hittier end of the stick rather than pensioners
Report dustybin October 20, 2021 3:54 PM BST
Pensioners are ofc more likely to vote
Report sparrow October 20, 2021 3:58 PM BST
Pensioners also pay tax whether they are working or not.
Report sageform October 20, 2021 4:01 PM BST
State pension as a percentage of average earnings has fallen steadily for many years. It may have caught up slightly in 2020 but don't forget that the average earnings figure is likely to be 5% or more in 2021. That is why that measure was dropped from the pension calculation. I have been on state pension for 12 years but the amount of NI I have paid would keep me in pensions for another 50. Annual cold weather payment has stayed at £100 for 12 years and we are now back to paying the full TV license. I am grateful for any pension but it has not gone up that much.
Report The Management October 20, 2021 4:01 PM BST
Successive govts (of all flavours) have pretty much been kicking everything into the long grass for many years now and printing money like it's confetti - the people that will pay for it all are still at school or more likely haven't even been born yet - so yes, none of them will be voting anytime soon!
Report Cider October 20, 2021 4:10 PM BST
state pensions should only be at level of sustenance. they've had a lifetime to build up resources for their own retirement. in an extremely tax efficiently environment (and beneficial investment environment). pension credit is extremely generous too for anyone who is actually potless.
Report Cider October 20, 2021 4:15 PM BST
there's enough of a sense of entitlement from the younger generation, never mind oldsters. the system was never really intended for workers to keep non workers going for decades after they have retired.
Report The Management October 20, 2021 4:17 PM BST
You're all living too long - you were only supposed to be claiming it for about 3 years ffs! ShockedWink
Report 1st time poster October 20, 2021 4:21 PM BST
people did leave part of the state pension [ serps ] and the gov had to re enroll them in to it because the private  spivs [ providers ] were enjoying luxury lifestyles and pishing the rest up the wall with the proceeds
Report Cider October 20, 2021 4:25 PM BST
well that was for db pensions. which many are linked to rpi (as is mine). they paid less NI. people in the private sector nowadays could only dream of something as generous as a db pension.
Report sparrow October 20, 2021 4:29 PM BST
Cider,  how much pension income per week do you consider fair and reasonable to live on?
Report 1st time poster October 20, 2021 4:30 PM BST
johnson/sunak now want pension providers to bet their schemes [ our money ] on his green revolution to help find the winners and losers amongst all the shoite
Report dustybin October 20, 2021 4:33 PM BST
They've been pushing savers onto the stockmarket for years forcing risk into the equation
Report Cider October 20, 2021 4:35 PM BST
Impossible to state without research, sparrow. I can conformably live on £500 pcm.
Report sparrow October 20, 2021 4:40 PM BST
I doubt 500 per month is enough for most people.
Report 1st time poster October 20, 2021 4:44 PM BST
2 grand  for peace of mind and the months you dont need 2 grand stays in the pot for unexpected bills
but my dad does call me a non participator in life,
surely cider means 500 a week not a month, 500 a month doesnt leave much if anything after food bills
Report Cider October 20, 2021 4:46 PM BST
As you'll probably know 1st timer, I shop at Ocado, so hardly pauper stuff and it will be around £120 pcm for me. Obviously it fluctuates with the household stuff like dishwasher caps that you don't need to buy every month, but aren't cheap.
Report Cider October 20, 2021 4:51 PM BST
I should note I'm not trying to save money either. ie I buy in whatever I want, and get it at the lowest cost possible. Nearly always branded stuff, or m&s.
Report know all October 21, 2021 9:30 AM BST
Why retired couples will be £700 worse off next year: Rising energy and food prices mean pensioners will face extra costs of at least £22 a week, experts say

Inflation figures mean the state mention will rise by 3.1 per cent, handing pensioners an extra £4.25 a week. But rising energy and food costs mean pensioners face extra costs of £22 a week

as pointed out above the reson is to completly fiddle the figures to keep the pension payments down, its corrupt and fraud
as they have got rid of a lot of old uns to keep the payments down looks like lockdown again and of course we are not getting the booster jab yet i wonder why, the goverment old uns cull a burdon on society that cost goverments billions
Report dustybin October 21, 2021 10:13 AM BST
Why are you not getting the booster yet?
My parents have.

It is the very cynical side of me but it did look an awful lot like an old person cull….and given the state of social care and the inevitable backlash politically of fixing it properly you might draw that conclusion.
I noted there are family members taking the government to court over it, it would be one of the biggest scandals ever for the government to have been found to have done something like that…so I can’t see anyone wanting to find them guilty.
Report dave1357 October 21, 2021 10:46 AM BST
as pointed out above the reson is to completly fiddle the figures to keep the pension payments down, its corrupt and fraud

more bollocks.

Whether CPI is the appropriate measure for assessing the increased living costs of pensioners is a valid debate, but it will have been calculated correctly.
Report Vubiant October 21, 2021 1:04 PM BST
All I know is that 'official' inflation figures never reflect my lived consuming experience.I give the same level of trust to inflation figures as I do to police crime statistics - i.e. zero.
Report Cider October 21, 2021 1:10 PM BST
It can never truly reflect an individuals personal inflation rate. Obviously.

Some thing do go down in price too, but nobody notices that so much. For example my car insurance is almost half what it was.

Lots of things that consume energy are much more efficient than they used to be.

Yes, much of it comes from slave labour but many things have come down in price due to internet shopping, ebay/amazon etc.

My mobile contract costs me £5 pcm, when it used to cost £40.

My broadband and phone line costs have also diminished.
Report dustybin October 21, 2021 1:37 PM BST
Inflation might be going up, but it will go up even more since wage inflation outstrips even the price passed on for products

Its a strange time where people seemingly have come to the conclusion careers arnt as important as life and family

It will only end when peopl go skint
Report DIE LINKE October 22, 2021 12:00 PM BST
Don't know any early to mid-boomers (relatives and neighbours) who are struggling. Mortgages paid off decades ago, six figures in the bank, eat like mice, never venture far from their homes, no subscriptions whatsoever, still claiming DLA and carers allowance, etc.
Report sparrow October 22, 2021 12:55 PM BST
Die Linke obviously lives in a very upmarket area if those mentioned are so well off.
Report DIE LINKE October 22, 2021 1:05 PM BST
Not upmarket at all. All are working class pensioners, males ex-manual workers. Clearly life is cheaper in the frozen north, but for the reasons given they are well off.
Report sparrow October 22, 2021 1:09 PM BST
These pensioners probably also contributed for many years to a pension scheme as well as paying 15%+ for their mortgages.
Report sparrow October 22, 2021 1:10 PM BST
* 15%+ interest on their mortgages.
Report 1st time poster October 22, 2021 2:33 PM BST
pensions/retirement are only a let down if your soppy enough to believe /buy in to those adverts from 20/30 yrs ago of the grey haired bloke with the pastel pink sweather tied around his shoulders preening along some  sunshine spot promenade
most people have the sense to work out you cant expect pension incomes to provide a lifestyle what you had to work 7 days a week/overtime etc for 50 years
Report sparrow October 22, 2021 2:40 PM BST
Die Linke has stated that these pensioners are well off so nothing to do with being sold a dodgy pension deal.
Report know all October 23, 2021 1:58 PM BST
nearly all goverment stats are false the goverments broadcaster the bbc what boll----s they shout you cant belive a word of it, we are going into lockdown again thats odds on, if you have a private pension coming up dont take the annunity its really a insurance policy guessing when you die , die early they make more, later they make less, go for a sipp with draw down and when you die you can leave the full pot to who you want, i was conned pensions wise prudential the worst as you find out later in life
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com