Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
sageform
18 Oct 21 20:33
| Topic/replies: 21,664 | Blogger: sageform's blog
The Fred and Mercy Rimell memorial at Worcester on Wednesday brought back for me memories of the Fred Rimell, Fulke Walwyn, Peter Cazalet and Bob Turnell, Ryan Price era of my early days as a fan in the late 50s and sixties. And their jockeys, Terry Biddlecombe, Fred Winter, David Mould, Bill Smith, Bill Rees, Jeff King and John Haine. From Ireland it was Tom Dreaper and Pat Taaffe who dominated for years even before Arkle and Flyingbolt. On the flat it was Noel Murless, Jack Jarvis, Cecil Boyd-Rochfort and then Peter Walwyn, Dick Hern, Fred Armstrong, Ian Balding and Harry Wragg with of course Lester Piggott, the Smith brothers and Joe Mercer dominating the riding department. And then came Vincent O'Brien from Ireland and a few French trainers like Mathet and Pollet raiding our classics. Great memories even if they were in very poor quality black and white most of the time.
Pause Switch to Standard View Big names in racing from your youth.
Show More
Report barstool October 18, 2021 8:52 PM BST
Yes great days sageform.

Of the horses from that time I have fond memories of Mandarin, Kerstin, Done up. Used to watch the racing at a house in the village on a Saturday afternoon on a 12" black and white screen. I think they played music for most of the flat races and the commentary came on in the last half mile, can you remember that?

My Dad always used to back Springbok when it ran, he followed all the Neville Crump trained horses, Merryman I remember winning the National for him.
The old man got me marking my selections in the daily express when I was about 6 years old. The bug has never gone away.

Fond memories indeed.
Report matso October 19, 2021 1:17 AM BST
Great Era .. Proper Trainers & Jockeys ... So different class to todays offerings
Report england_v_south_afri October 19, 2021 4:57 AM BST
Pipe and Scu !! My m8 loved that combo LaughLaughLaugh
Report sageform October 19, 2021 8:54 AM BST
Don't remember the music barstool. One of my early memories of watching on TV was the Gold Cup won by Pas Seul. I lived 7 miles away from school by bus and bike but a friend lived 400 yards away so I talked him into taking me back to his house to watch it! Not sure what his mother made of this but I enjoyed the result. My parents, John Haine's parents and Bob and Betty Turnell all knew each other well so that stable was the centre of our racing world in those days. My first day "live" at the Festival was when Salmon Spray won the Champion hurdle. I also have some 8mm film of John riding a treble at Cheltenham for the Turnells on Rondetto, Yellowhammer and another one that I can't remember.
Report salmon spray October 19, 2021 10:43 AM BST
Willie Robinson was Walwyn's stable jockey at the time you seem to be talking about in your OP. Otherwise a good summation of the situation when I got interested in 1963.
Report sageform October 19, 2021 11:09 AM BST
It all came from my spontaneous response to the Rimell names at Worcester tomorrow so there will be several omissions including Robinson. Ron Barry was also riding for Walwyn sometimes as The Dickler's GC win showed. Your namesake will always be one of my favourites but Buona Notte was John Haine's favourite horse.
Report Blackrock October 19, 2021 11:22 AM BST
I would have been 6 when my dad backed Purple Silk for me in the 64 GN.

Peter O'Sullivan's comms was Purple Silk going away from Team Spirit ridden by the aforementioned Robinson. Got picked up on the line. Still backing losers to this day.Cry
Report Brian October 19, 2021 12:09 PM BST
I remember making up horse racing games (forerunner of fantasy racing Grin) with horses such as Linwell, Kerstin, Pas Suel, Roddy Owen, Merryman etc.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com