Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ZEALOT
17 Oct 21 09:50
| Topic/replies: 8,991 | Blogger: ZEALOT's blog
Psychologically, the very best of traders share the same key characteristics, including the following:

They are all comfortable with taking risks. People with very low-risk tolerance, who cannot accept losing trades, are not cut out to be winning traders, since losing trades are simply part of the game of trading. Winning traders are able to emotionally accept the uncertainty that is inherent in trading. Trading is not like investing your money in a savings account with a guaranteed return.

They are capable of quickly adjusting to changing market conditions. They don’t fall in love with, and “marry”, their analysis of a market. If price action indicates that they need to change their view on probable future price movements, they do so without hesitating.

They are disciplined in their trading and can view the market objectively, regardless of how current market action is affecting their account balance.

They don’t give in to being excessively excited about winning trades or excessively despairing about losing trades. Winning traders control their emotions rather than letting their emotions control them.

They make the necessary effort and take the necessary steps to be self-disciplined traders who operate with strict money and risk management rules. Winning traders are not reckless gamblers. They carefully calculate potential risk against potential reward before entering any trade.
Pause Switch to Standard View Key characteristics of a winner on...
Show More
Report kkkatt October 17, 2021 11:49 AM BST
Where`s the fun in that?
Report elise October 17, 2021 11:57 AM BST
in the bank
Report kkkatt October 17, 2021 12:03 PM BST
It`s a mindnumbingly boring existence waiting for the Black Swan event. I suspect most of those who make it pay that way don`t even enjoy it when they win it.
Report elise October 17, 2021 12:05 PM BST
i take you point, maybe the 9-5 on a tenner an hr is the better way to go
Report ericster October 17, 2021 12:10 PM BST
kkkat, maybe the "winners" aren't here to have fun.
Maybe the satisfaction of being ..... a winner, is enough.
But what do I know?
Report stewarts rise October 17, 2021 12:45 PM BST
Bloke on the Chase the other day said his job was a trader on sports betting, just using his algorithms, these are the people the PC charge should apply to, knocked out by the chaser though!
Report hulk23 October 17, 2021 12:57 PM BST
5 stone overweight and manically driving their motors all over the NE of England to get half a second in front ...
Report sageform October 17, 2021 12:58 PM BST
I Make money from buying and selling shares. I have fun betting horses and lose a little most years. No real connection in my mind. I tend to bet on pedigrees and owners in the main. First 3 times on a racecourse then stop on the whole but if they keep winning, keep backing. Some owners seem to consistently find good horses. Either luck or very good judgement.
Report hulk23 October 17, 2021 1:00 PM BST
well ahead but their best bets of the day finish 17th of 17.  the rest, not so good.
Report dave1357 October 17, 2021 2:26 PM BST
2005 called, it wants its post back.
Report The Management October 17, 2021 3:37 PM BST
dave135717 Oct 21 13:26Joined: 05 Sep 10 | Topic/replies: 17,863 | Blogger: dave1357's blog
2005 called, it wants its post back.

Fair comment - but the opening post is still more interesting than 99% of opening posts these days.

If you take away the pocket talkers slagging of a jockey (after the race) and the threads stating the highest/lowest price matched in running (after the race) and the people posting bets (after the race) - unfortunately there are only about five threads left worth reading. Cry

So reverting to back to topics from the past isn't such a bad idea imo.
Report The Management October 17, 2021 3:39 PM BST
P.S.

How big a bank would I need to turn pro? Wink
Report elise October 17, 2021 3:41 PM BST
interestingly, i think for new full timers that's a goalpost that has been moved a fair way
Report swiftynifty October 17, 2021 3:50 PM BST
You don't need a big bank. That's a myth. You'll soon find out if you're useless and putting more money in won't change the fact.
Report elise October 17, 2021 3:51 PM BST
not now always the case, the restrictions on deposits and the proof of disposable income have changed the game for quite a few
Report swiftynifty October 17, 2021 3:53 PM BST
if that's an issue, build your bank and don't withdraw.
Report elise October 17, 2021 3:57 PM BST
you're missing the point, they still ask the questions and if you're just starting out (as in new traders mentioned above) any arbing / losses or even excessive use of the account can now generate attention and restrictions, if you have no visible income and can't prove you can sustain whatever they are looking at you may not get the chance, building a bank could take far longer and even a large deposit is going to get some focus, the game is changing
Report swiftynifty October 17, 2021 4:40 PM BST
fair enough, if you are successfully arbing and incurring large losses on betfair then I don't know how you'll overcome the multiple deposits/limits. I was talking from a straight punting and trading position exclusively on Betfair.
Report elise October 17, 2021 4:45 PM BST
sure i understand, but even on your analogy of build a bigger bank, well that's a change in the way you'll need to operate, the way they are looking at this there seems to be some % figure they determine where your betting/account needs to be below in respect of your overall worth in order for them to justify their criteria that you are in control, normal punters will get caught in this, even people that don't really lose but spend hours logged in or make many smaller bets, i'm just highlighting that 10 years ago the playing field was very different
Report swiftynifty October 17, 2021 4:58 PM BST
elise, I wouldn't know the new criteria they're looking at, but obv. losers will no longer be able to make multiple deposits, there'll be far less money in the ecosystem which originated through credit cards etc, but ultimately winners should be ok, they'll simply have to maintain a larger bank to overcome poor runs. Liquidity can only drop further though as a result. New traders will need to be cagier no doubt which will probably benefit them in the long run.
Report elise October 17, 2021 5:02 PM BST
i could pm something which i won't put on here that might make you rethink that
Report swiftynifty October 17, 2021 5:06 PM BST
ok, feel free.
Report Rico-Dangleflaps October 17, 2021 5:11 PM BST
post ya p&l swifty show us how its done..tar
Report swiftynifty October 17, 2021 5:18 PM BST
how exactly does a p&l show how it's done?
Report RothmanMike October 17, 2021 6:20 PM BST
Discipline,Knowledge and Bank.
Essential pre-requisite to making a few quid on Betfair.
The bigger the Bank, the more confident and successful you become.
Ask Roida, , unlikely he made his cash with a £10k bank to finance his activities.
Report Johnny The Guesser October 18, 2021 5:24 PM BST
If you are clever enough to make a living on here, you could make 10 times as much applying your skills in the outside world.
Report DIE LINKE October 18, 2021 5:35 PM BST
You can't sit around in your y-fronts in the outside world!
Report elise October 18, 2021 5:37 PM BST
you can, but the women screaming gets on my nerves
Report Rico-Dangleflaps October 18, 2021 5:40 PM BST
wont be menny winning ir only now..trust me.
Report elise October 18, 2021 5:53 PM BST
u heard about the bloke training his dog to help him do in running to combat drones? it tracks them around the perimeter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATBH06SQ9hU
Report sludge October 18, 2021 6:23 PM BST
Its quite simple.... see things ahead of other punters . In saying that a lot of in runners cant even make things pay nowadays even with an edge. The game is now brutal , and with regard to betting pre race etc over a long period of time , i would say 90 odd % will do their money.I have been around gamblers day in day out for 40 odd years and have yet to meet anyone who has a golden key to beat overrounds or commissions ......it just doesnt happen. Anybody can have a good run but when variance kicks in ( as it always will over a long period of time ) there is only one end result.
Report cheburekito October 18, 2021 6:48 PM BST
You have to be naive and dumb to believe that you can have characteristics and beat the market, it was true until flash disappeared, now your edge and characteristics doesn't matter, markets are dead, you can't get good prices, so no matter your characteristics you are ALREADY giving up value, markets by itself make you lose sh1tload of ROI because you just can't get matched or get matched at ridiculous price, I said it before that the only days you can do something is friday and saturday, maybe thursday on some occassions, other than that just don't trade, it will save you money in the long run, I've been in this jokefair game for the past 11 years. You can have the best mindset in the history of mankind, yet you will get fcuked by droners. Best way to get started is to stop trading all SKY races
Report sludge October 18, 2021 6:56 PM BST
Believe me being a "droner "(as u put it ) isnt much fun nowadays .
Report swiftynifty October 18, 2021 7:01 PM BST
The droners have killed liquidity and now they're not happy. The irony.
Report jamesdean October 18, 2021 7:03 PM BST
Disagree cheb. Think weekends are worse than mid week. Too many meetings on which makes
liquidity actually less. You have meeting clashing etc
Report cheburekito October 18, 2021 7:08 PM BST

Oct 18, 2021 -- 1:03PM, jamesdean wrote:

Disagree cheb. Think weekends are worse than mid week. Too many meetings on which makesliquidity actually less. You have meeting clashing etc

Last Friday had 4 daily cards, Saturday 5, it was like that for the past million years. Maybe it depends on trading style, for me Fridays and Saturdays were always best days, by a mile, statistically checked and proven

Report jamesdean October 18, 2021 7:10 PM BST
I've always found weekends harder. Could be as you say down to styles of play but certainly wouldnt say only play fri and sat
Report cheburekito October 18, 2021 9:31 PM BST
to me it makes perfect sense, I doubt people are more interested in grade 5/6 races more than 1-3, and most people do not work on weekends so they can bet on horses easily, more bets = more liquidity
Report Rico-Dangleflaps October 18, 2021 10:26 PM BST
its went way harder the last week or so...pennies being matched when you lay big prices at ev price..virtually all 0 matches over 200...few grand at 101 and hundreds 1.02 upwards..how the fck there is still a demand for drone pics is that song toyah sings.
Report brassneck October 18, 2021 10:26 PM BST
Just double a quid 20 times in a roll up,(no need to dress this statement up),if it goes pear shaped you lose a quid.
if you can not double a quid you should not be on a gambling site.if you can double a quid (use the same system on all 20 steps to double up.)no rocket science needed,just discipline and patience.Grin try this for 20 days and see what happens.Wink
Report ItsMeSwaddle October 18, 2021 10:40 PM BST
Above poster is full of dung.
Report Rico-Dangleflaps October 18, 2021 11:20 PM BST
its went way harder the last week or so...pennies being matched when you lay big prices at ev price..virtually all 0 matches over 200...few grand at 101 and hundreds 1.02 upwards..how the fck there is still a demand for drone pics is that song toyah sings.
Report brassneck October 18, 2021 11:41 PM BST
hi,its me swaddle.you sound like a loser.
Professional gamblers are filled with peace because they know what they are about.
If you could learn from them this one thing,you would be a more peaceful person.
let me give you some advice,you don't have to double your quid with the same gambling company each step.
Try it before you knock it,and you will be back to me very soon thanking me for my help in trying to put you on the correct path.
i just wonder who taught you how to gamble?Cry
Report brassneck October 19, 2021 12:04 AM BST
Rico,i know a guy who makes a great living comparing prices on ALL gambling sites,he doubles his money most weeks backing and laying  and trading using all the gambling company's ,and believe it or not ,he makes his profit 90% of the time before the events even start.ShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked
Report roadrunner46 October 19, 2021 6:47 AM BST
you only fail when you stop trying, albert einstein

key word in that quote is trying, once you have tryed as many different ways of finding winners and all the numerous associated variables within that learning process that you learn along the way, your experience and knowledge should hit critical mass
Report dave1357 October 19, 2021 8:06 AM BST
^^ 2005 called, it wants its post back.
Report DIE LINKE October 19, 2021 9:18 AM BST
Is someone going to set up a justgiving for the drone victims?
Report jamesdean October 19, 2021 1:34 PM BST
What other sports do people have to bet on mon to thurs afternoons? No many which means more liquidity for horse racing.
Come the weekend they have a full fixture of uk and European football to bet on, Golf, Tennis, Rugby and the added extra meetings
which means liquidity is spread out more thinly than if you had a 3 meeting monday afternoon
Report .Marksman. October 19, 2021 1:57 PM BST
Discipline, Determination, Destination.  (according to JK Rowling)

I can't guarantee that you will make a living gambling following the above.  But if it all goes pear shaped and you end up owing money to dangerous people, atleast you will be able to apparate to most places (excluding Hogwarts) to escape.
Report Boogie Cat October 19, 2021 2:22 PM BST
discipline is the key
Report cheburekito October 19, 2021 2:24 PM BST

Oct 18, 2021 -- 6:04PM, brassneck wrote:

Rico,i know a guy who makes a great living comparing prices on ALL gambling sites,he doubles his money most weeks backing and laying

Report cheburekito October 19, 2021 2:24 PM BST

Oct 18, 2021 -- 6:04PM, brassneck wrote:

Rico,i know a guy who makes a great living comparing prices on ALL gambling sites,he doubles his money most weeks backing and laying

Report cheburekito October 19, 2021 2:25 PM BST
not sure why I can't quote it, but go home, you peanuts player
Report freddiewilliams October 19, 2021 2:30 PM BST
Our brass....knows the best.....Barney in phone box.....hole in one gang,,,,a chain of shops.....and this cack doubling bank every week
Report dave1357 October 19, 2021 2:41 PM BST
@cheburetiko it's  the  double  space  bug
Report dave1357 October 19, 2021 2:42 PM BST

Oct 19, 2021 -- 8:41AM, dave1357 wrote:

@cheburetiko it's

Report brassneck October 19, 2021 3:00 PM BST
you forgot the honorary member of the Irish independent bookmakers association with 54 years experience in gambling.Cool
Report freddiewilliams October 19, 2021 3:20 PM BST
Sean Graham be so proud of the shat. u type ere
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com