Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ronnie rails
13 Oct 21 19:27
| Topic/replies: 2,730 | Blogger: ronnie rails's blog
Very good interview with Simon Nott
well worth a watch.

have a nice evening.

Ronnie.
Pause Switch to Standard View Steve Lewis Hamilton
Show More
Report G Hall October 13, 2021 9:01 PM BST
I'll check it out Ronnie.

I finished the Robert Sangster book, what a fantastic read, a different world, the sales in America were extraordinary.
Many thanks Ronnie for sending it to me
Report themightymac October 13, 2021 9:58 PM BST
Robert Sangster was a gentleman and one couldn`t have met a more decent human being.
Report Ramruma October 14, 2021 12:17 AM BST
Gentleman and tax dodger.
Report know all October 14, 2021 11:03 AM BST
will watch it later but having seen a lot of these videos i can see through most of them and im afraid to say kidders not all of them but most of them, used to see steve on racecourse with eddie the shoe so was in good company, eddie not a kidder
Report geordie1956 October 14, 2021 11:34 AM BST
plenty of the discussions are very entertaining & some of the anecdotes are worth hearing about but i'd agreee that plenty are kidders ... i did enjoy Claude Duval in his interview which has been up for a few years but i only heard the other week. He certainly had some good stories to recollect
Report ribero1 October 14, 2021 1:10 PM BST
Always remember him as Steve Lewis on course,then the "Hamilton" appeared when he started flogging tips.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves October 14, 2021 1:31 PM BST
Always remember him as Steve Hamilton on course, then the "Lewis" appeared when he started flogging tips.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves October 14, 2021 1:44 PM BST
He used to sell a tissue to Johnny Lights thirty years ago, and Lights was no mug. And he was a good friend of John Gough too, and Gough was definitely no mug.

I remember Eddie Fremantle once commenting that Steve's great talent was getting the best prices, which is where having connections with heavy hitters such as Lights and Gough would help. But there came a point where, to paraphrase Eric Morecambe, Steve was getting all the right prices, just not necessarily on the right horses. Which is when he disappeared for a while, the re-surfaced as a tipster.

He's a lovely bloke, with a lovely family to support, but once you'd taken out an advert with an 0898 number, then your credibility was always going to be questionable.
Report FOYLESWAR October 14, 2021 2:19 PM BST
screaming is john gough still  about ?
Report howard October 14, 2021 2:27 PM BST
I believe Gough ran a phone service in the 60's so if he's still alive he would be in the runners for  Britain's oldest man.
Report FOYLESWAR October 14, 2021 2:29 PM BST
thanks howard
Report screaming from beneaththewaves October 14, 2021 2:30 PM BST
Not above ground, FOYLESWAR.

Passed away nearly six years ago. Good bloke, and one of the best pros ever, I should think.
Report FOYLESWAR October 14, 2021 2:33 PM BST
sorry to hear that screaming ,yes a very  wise and shrewd bloke rip
Report Celtic warrior October 14, 2021 3:44 PM BST
In my novice days I subscribed to Steve's private service circa 2003.

All his tips were very short priced and he broke even before costs.

Honest bloke though and hard working
Report skiptoomaloumacari October 14, 2021 5:13 PM BST
Made a lot of good points i thought .........especially how bookmakers are messing up........
Report ronnie rails October 14, 2021 6:05 PM BST
Screaming

talking about tipsters did Dodger set up an advisery  service for a short time.

hope you are well.

Ronnie.
Report mrspock October 14, 2021 6:55 PM BST
Also subscribed to his tipping service back a few years ago: wasn't cheap,around £800-900 I seem to remember.

Problem was you could never get the prices advised or more accuratley "available" at. On the purple site,you could see the price history by time etc; and the prices ALWAYS shortened BEFORE the tips were posted on the phone line!!!
In other words,his tips were being LAID before they were put on the line.

Some people might consider him nice from watching a (self promoting) interview.
I say he's bent.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves October 14, 2021 7:17 PM BST
You know, ronnie, I can't recall definitively. Now you mention it, the idea of Dodger selling tips vaguely rings a bell, but if he did, it was only ever a private thing - no adverts or phone lines or anything like that.

I know he was supposed to have gone back to selling sun-blinds part-time at some point in the seventies, but that was nothing to be ashamed of. The wonder is that he could make it pay at all back in the days of the on-course tax. I certainly couldn't. But that was Dodger - the great survivor.

Of course, John Gough had his own solution to the problem of the on-course tax - he emigrated to Australia (I think his wife might have been a nurse, which is how he overcame the entry requirements). Then he got caught up in the dragnet after the Fine Cotton ringer scandal (I don't think he actually had anything to do with it - just found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time, though other people doubtless know more). So he returned to Britain, and Nigel Lawson (God bless you, sir) got rid of the on-course tax, and that's when I got to know him, casting his eye over the runners in the pre-parade ring at places like Uttoxeter, with Steve Hamilton by his side.

The best days of our lives, weren't they?
Report ronnie rails October 14, 2021 7:44 PM BST
screaming

thanks for the reply, the dodger was a survivor

lights was also one of the survivors, he was extremely lucky to be with after a very nasty car accident over 50 years ago, he ended up with a steel plate in his headSad

I could talk about the old days all day long

do you remember The Indian, I heard he went to live in South Africa

but IMHO the most clued up punter I ever knew was Leslie Woods
Report Rico-Dangleflaps October 14, 2021 8:05 PM BST
never ever understood the concept of selling 'tips'..would you sell a goose that laid golden eggs?
Report screaming from beneaththewaves October 14, 2021 8:29 PM BST
Depends how much the goose costs to feed.

The expenses when you had to travel to the course every day, pay admission, subscribe to the Form Books etc., and then pay the living expenses on top, could be horrendous. It meant that even a year of breaking even could be unsurvivable, never mind a losing run at the wrong time.

I've been so lucky that my horrendous losing runs have come at times when I've won enough to get through them. But that's all it is - luck.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves October 14, 2021 8:32 PM BST
Indian Ron died last December, ronnie. I never knew him personally, but knew of him. A real shrewdie and a big hitter apparently.
Report the.mad.dog.man October 14, 2021 8:50 PM BST
anyone paying for tips are mugs
Report Manoleeds October 14, 2021 8:51 PM BST
SLH said he provided an advisory service on a "why not " basis. He had one stream of income from his betting and one stream from his service.One thing he didn't say was how he came up with his tissue.
Report Rico-Dangleflaps October 14, 2021 9:28 PM BST
dozens of facebook groups claiming huge profits..then say bet coming if u want type 'in'..

ive seen thousands reply 'in'

comedy gold how easy people are manipulated.
Report Ramruma October 15, 2021 2:19 AM BST
FOMO
Report sludge October 15, 2021 6:44 AM BST
Spot on as usual Rico.In sayihg that if i ever had the ability ( which i will never have ) to be a tipster who could make a profit year after year i would def try to sell them on. I would then ofcourse " green up " on here after all my followers had put their hard earned on , and the price had plumpted !  Must be easy for them to do this nowadays with the markets being so thin.
Report know all October 15, 2021 9:56 AM BST
you can understand the good tippers selling there tips i knew of one who turned over 1 million a year profit on that he showed me was 700,000 after advertising expences ect that was his best year where he said everything went right and he showed big profits on the service, averaged 500,000 per year, he also told stories of the guys who join even the greatprofit years you had them losing as whatever he won them they lost on there own bets so end of the year they had lost lol and i recall a great one he told me he had given out 2 that day both won 8/1 and say 4/1 he had one punter phone him and say service is not good, he phoned him back to ask why he then told him he had put his own horse in and went for a treble his lost lol
Report Gordon63 October 15, 2021 12:52 PM BST
after watching the star sports interviews and various others I subscribed to SLH for a trial month earlier this year, most days no selections (fine) but his strike rate was 1 in 4 @ odds averaging 3s so break even at best.  I'd happily subscribe to Mark Holder but there's a waiting list and I'm too old for that!! I love reading the stories from guys below on the 'good old days' of on course betting and there are still a few around here from the golden days of flutter/betfair however the a**e has been ripped out of betting on horse racing with vast majority of books simply reverting to the exchange and the online operators (here come's the whingeing!) restricting or closing winning accounts (Paul Merson could have what he wanted on - £7 million losses (really!) - the two major high street chains will lay me about £1 ew each, and I'm by no means a big player!) but funnily (sic!!) enough I can play baseball/NFL/football for £100s...it's like they want to finish off horse racing as a gambling sport
Report loper October 16, 2021 12:58 PM BST
The majority of authentic propunters have refused the opportunity to be exposed to the general public by Simon Nott's interviews. And Simon is excellent in them, by the way.

Very few of those that have made the decision to go public are authentic pros. The majority just love the idea of self promotion.

Steve, Eddy, Alan Potts, Rucker Roo and Stephen Little are honorable exceptions. Apologies to any I may have misjudged.

If I have then please put your case here.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com