Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Celtic warrior
12 Oct 21 08:45
| Topic/replies: 1,677 | Blogger: Celtic warrior's blog
All those millions of racing fans South of Stoke and not one meeting below the latitude of Fakenham!!!

As usual racing kicks itself in the goolies

Any one course could make a killing Friday afternoon. Even arc racing who pulled the two October windsor meetings would get a big crowd.

Then you get kempton and ascot on same day early september

All our racing administrators, hang your wooden heads in shame
Pause Switch to Standard View Stupid racing calendar Friday October 15
Show More
Report Manoleeds October 12, 2021 10:27 AM BST
And no racing oop North today unless you include the evening sand .
Report ItsMeSwaddle October 12, 2021 11:37 AM BST
I’ve given up even bothering to comprehend what the thoughts are behind the calendar and timings of races now mate.

If it fits in with my schedule I’ll be there, if not will happily miss.

Run by idiots for idiots.

Too much dross.

What is difficult going forward on weekdays: 1 north 1 Midlands 1 south a day + Ireland + festival days.

You’d have to rejig the calendar at first but so what it’s mainly dross nobody is interested in unless financially!
Report sageform October 12, 2021 1:19 PM BST
I thought that courses were free to decide when to race within reason? BHA can't tell them when to hold a meeting. If the equivalent day last year was the same then I agree that the southern tracks have been asleep.
Report sparrow October 12, 2021 1:28 PM BST
Well the courses will surely do what is best for their businesses and won't be concerned about other peoples likes and dislikes.
Report Celtic warrior October 12, 2021 4:52 PM BST
I think it shows that on course punters are totally irrelevant to their business plans.

Take kempton. Lots of late evening meetings in the dark of winter. Zero crowds and if they do come their Internet is blocked so they have to bet with on course bookies at 130%.

This same massive overround appears on bookmaker screens.

Then put on low grade handicapsand you have a model very similar to slots in my opinion
Report sparrow October 12, 2021 5:06 PM BST
I wasn't aware that Kempton blocked internet access to punters.
Report mrcombustible October 12, 2021 5:20 PM BST
I was at Kempton in July and could access BF
Maybe the free course wifi is different?
Report The Knight October 12, 2021 9:34 PM BST
The lack of understanding from people on here about how the fixture list comes about is quite disturbing. The BHA do not allocate meetings, tracks request to race on certain days.

So, all the big ideas one here about what should and should not happen do not take into account that tracks are asking for fixtures at certain dates and times for all sorts of reasons - tradition, area, sponsors, type of races, the list goes on and on.

Yes, what we have now is not ideal but it really riles me when so many jump on the bandwagon about too many fixtures, too much dross, Monday or Tuesdays should be rest days, etc etc.

Let's take the latter point. All very well making Monday or Tuesday a rest day but then the tracks who usually race earlier in the week - and there are quite a few - would want their lost meetings back on other days. Then, the same issue as Saturdays would arise on some weekdays - IE too many meetings in one day.

Our horse racing has so many divergent interests that finding a solution to the perceived issues is impossible. The only way things will change is if tracks out of business - and not one or two but a lot. Now, who really wants that?

Lastly, how dare ITSMESWADDLE call other punters idiots. Who on earth are you to say that? Funny, but in eight years as a full time punter the vast majority of my regular and yearly profits have come from lower-grade, 'dross' racing. You can keep the big handicaps which are often impossible.

No, give me the dross everyday where so many horses can be ruled out quickly. But a lot of punters think they are 'judges' (although they keep no records) and believe they can crack the impossible races. They will sometimes, we all do, but mostly they will not.

I'm not saying that our fixture list isn't in need of attention, but before slinging mud at what we have it would be be better if those offering their views took the time to understand and think through the issues and how they have come about.

Lastly - IF Kempton is blocking internet access for racegoers it will only be through the tracks' wi-fi. They cannot block mobile data usage, which is now very, very cheap. So, yet another opinion thrown out with no understanding of reality.
Report San Quentin October 12, 2021 9:43 PM BST
Quite correct The Knight the last time I was at Kempton all be Feb 2020 the old Racing post Chase meet, absolutely no probs accessing what site I wanted,Betfair included.
Report differentdrum October 12, 2021 10:09 PM BST
The Knight,

Can you elaborate on what you have said? You say tracks request to race on certain days. Who do they make these requests to? Who says yes or no?
Report sparrow October 13, 2021 9:16 AM BST
Absolutely spot on The Knight and not forgetting that the ideas of some of these people would throw thousands out of work.
Report hologon October 13, 2021 11:07 AM BST
For all the faults they must be given some credit fo keeping racing going in these strange times.
Report The Management October 13, 2021 11:51 AM BST
The Knight12 Oct 21 20:34Joined: 02 Sep 01 | Topic/replies: 932 | Blogger: The Knight's blog
Our horse racing has so many divergent interests that finding a solution to the perceived issues is impossible

That's about all there is to be said - the sport is made up of too many separate constituent parts - each one with a different agenda all with their own vested interests.

I would imagine that negotiating solutions to problems or delivering change is akin to locking 6 Brexiteers in a room with 6 Remainers and telling them that they can only come out after they have all reached agreement - maybe also advising that they can only communicate through the medium of dance.
Report TheAnorak October 13, 2021 12:15 PM BST
From the BHA website:

https://www.britishhorseracing.com/bha-racing-blog-fixture-list-process/
Report duncan idaho October 13, 2021 12:49 PM BST
BHA Racing Blog | The Fixture List Process
31 Aug 17

With the 2018 fixture list having been published this week the July blog will aim to provide some insight into the process that is followed each year to deliver this.

2018 Fixture List

The process to produce the 2018 fixture list started in October 2016. This was an earlier start than in previous years due to the need for the BHA to run a stakeholder consultation on funding before starting the fixture list process itself.  This was necessary as with the previous deal agreed for 2013-17 having expired, the sport faced a crossroads with regard to the future funding of the sport. On the one hand, should the government move to implement the Levy replacement, the sport would need to determine how best to spend an additional £8-9m of funding per year.  On the other hand, should efforts to bring about this change have been unsuccessful, the sport would need to face up to enormous cuts, having already depleted all available Levy Board reserves in the last two years in order to maintain prize money whilst income declined.

Fortunately, the Levy replacement has been put in place and we are in a position to launch the package of agreed measures focussed at the bottom end of the sport.

This has meant that we have been free to continue the fixture list process proper as have in previous years, which follows the following steps:

Production of initial fixture list framework

At this stage this fixture list features only 1,259 racecourse fixtures, plus fixtures allocated on a longer than one year lease.

Other than the general one day shift of fixtures each year we also have to deal with the complexity of certain fixtures such as Derby Day, 26th-31st December, Easter and Bank Holiday Mondays. These fixtures are not subject to the usual movement of fixtures and mean that we tend to shuffle a few dates around each year to ensure that the pattern of fixtures (and the Pattern of races) makes sense. The process is further complicated by the fact that the gap between the Cheltenham Festival and Guineas is sometimes six weeks long, and sometimes seven weeks long. In the years featuring a six week gap, a home must be found for the “squeezed out” fixtures.

Racecourse fixture moves

Racecourses are able to apply to the BHA to swap racecourse fixtures either with other racecourse fixtures or into the gaps in the criteria that we have included at the outset. These moves require the approval of the BHA and some restrictions apply as to what is possible, including a condition that prevents a fixture swapping code or surface without approval and one that prevents the creation of geographic clashes.

BHA fixture auction

New for 2018 was an auction whereby racecourses could bid to stage fixtures in certain desirable slots such as 5th Saturday and 3rd Friday evening fixtures.  Approximately £1.2m was bid for 27 slots, money that will be added to prize money in a manner yet to be agreed but likely to support the development of the race programme.

Allocation of other BHA fixtures

By now, 1,295 fixtures are in the fixture list. A balanced scorecard is used to evaluate the performance of racecourses wishing to be allocated additional fixtures to fill the remaining criteria gaps that exist, taking the size of the fixture list up to 1,508 in 2018.  Many of these tend to be in slots that are less desirable for racecourses such as early January.  The BHA control the specific dates provided to these fixtures and aim to allocate them in such a way as to avoid geographic clashes wherever possible.

Progression of the fixture list in recent years

As the above highlights, the procedure for producing the fixture list involves both racecourses and horsemen as part of the sport’s tripartite governance structure. This means that making developments to the fixture list is not always straightforward but, nevertheless, a number of significant improvements have been made in recent years.
Report ItsMeSwaddle October 13, 2021 5:35 PM BST
Sorry I can elaborate on run by idiots for idiots!!!

As in I am suggesting that their model is to try and get you on the conveyer belt betting every single race and obviously the more fixtures for that model the better!
Report Celtic warrior October 13, 2021 7:08 PM BST
too true Matt. All they want is constant turnover on high overround dross to fill the bookmakers coffers. racing is totally run for the benefit of bookmakers these days because the business model is totally bankrupt.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com