Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Trident
11 Oct 21 09:30
| Topic/replies: 2,744 | Blogger: Trident's blog
Might be worth a watch!     The hour-long special will be shown in Ireland on RTE1 at 9.35pm and will be immediately available on BBC iPlayer when the broadcast ends.

RTE make good documentaries imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yARm7mptKws
Pause Switch to Standard View Barney Curley: The Man who Beat the...
Show More
Report portmanpark October 11, 2021 9:43 AM BST
will be worth watching
Report sparrow October 11, 2021 9:50 AM BST
Will watch this on iplayer and thanks for posting.
Report cloone river October 11, 2021 10:55 PM BST
Good documentary well made.Nice piece at the end from Barney about what life is all about and we are only passing through.
Report vantastic54 October 11, 2021 11:14 PM BST
Enjoyed that.One of lifes good guys.
Report G Hall October 11, 2021 11:21 PM BST
Very enjoyable, interesting that he didn't seem to get much enjoyment out of the material things. It was the DAFA project that seemed to fulfill him.

It appears strange to me, that his wife didn't really feature on it. The death of his son obviously had a terrible terrible affect on him.
Report Ramruma October 12, 2021 5:24 AM BST
Was he "one of life's good guys"? He certainly tested the rules of racing to the limit and it is hard to see how ordinary punters are helped when Curley lands a coup as some yak dots up after failing to trouble the judge or even the commentator in its last 17 races.
Report now wheres that switch!!! October 12, 2021 7:52 AM BST
Ramruma… that is the whole essence of betting. It never came about to be fair, to be a level playing field. To hold the ultimate knowledge and edge is what the game is about. It’s naive to think otherwise IMO.
Report Trident October 12, 2021 9:34 AM BST
If anyone missed it, its available on the iplayer for 11 months
Report Storm Alert October 12, 2021 9:43 AM BST
Cheers, although I know many of the betting stories inside out, will give it watch tonight as more interested in some of the other events in his life.
Report MJK October 12, 2021 10:09 AM BST

Oct 11, 2021 -- 11:24PM, Ramruma wrote:

Was he "one of life's good guys"? He certainly tested the rules of racing to the limit and it is hard to see how ordinary punters are helped when Curley lands a coup as some yak dots up after failing to trouble the judge or even the commentator in its last 17 races.

I Normally hope these type of gambles fail these days as most are horses who have been deliberately stopped in their previous runs. I think this was different in that it wasn't a case of a horse who was stopped in its previous runs.

Report GLASGOWCALLING October 12, 2021 10:44 AM BST
I Normally hope these type of gambles fail these days as most are horses who have been deliberately stopped in their previous runs. I think this was different in that it wasn't a case of a horse who was stopped in its previous runs.

Yes, Iam sure all the horses in his coups had been previously running on their merit.
Report swiftynifty October 12, 2021 10:50 AM BST
Grin he even admittted in later years the quickest way to get the mark down was to blast them from the front. So he wasn't stopping them as such!
Report HallGreenSpy October 12, 2021 11:22 AM BST
Enjoyed this documentary.
Report MJK October 12, 2021 1:20 PM BST

Oct 12, 2021 -- 4:44AM, GLASGOWCALLING wrote:

Report MJK October 12, 2021 1:20 PM BST
You did see where I said 'this one' didn't you?
Report portmanpark October 12, 2021 2:22 PM BST
you have to admit pulling off those multiple gambles on the day was brilliant..others have tried and failed
Report Slicer October 12, 2021 2:37 PM BST
Just watched it on I Player in between  races. Very entertaining. Thanks for the recommendations.
Report JJmbe October 12, 2021 2:42 PM BST
Thanks for that OP really enjoyed it, didn't dettori win the DAFA race the other day at Bellewstown.
Report grayhawk October 12, 2021 4:06 PM BST
I'm all for trainers pulling off a gamble but i despised the fella as a trainer....just imagine what racing would be like if the vast majority of trainers were like him.

It would be like greyhound flapping.
Report ballyregan October 12, 2021 4:33 PM BST
never understood the hero worship if you were not in the clique he did nothing for you really
Report thesportinglife October 12, 2021 5:14 PM BST
ballyregan the hero worship is from the joy of watching the bookies get beat at their own game,do they play fair ?
Report ballyregan October 12, 2021 5:24 PM BST
no bookmakers do not correcr neither did barney though
Report liberator of the oppressed October 12, 2021 5:30 PM BST
Should have been Sir Barney humbling to see the great man speak with Nick L truly is a legendary figure spoke so very very well.
Report glentoby October 12, 2021 5:34 PM BST
A pikey goes to a nice housing estate populated with pensioners bungalows.Lays a nice drive of good quality for an elderly couple at a very reasonable price.Gets recommended to a further dozen pensioners,half of whom commit to a new drive,the job is done in a fraction of the time expected,cash paid.

A month later the drives start to sprout weeds,crack and the pensioners find a slim layer of tarmac is all they have,no hardcore foundations etc etc etc.

You all know the story so what is the difference between Curley and the pikey? The pikey stole the pensioners money through a con and contrary to the hero worship about Curley nicking bookies money HE was no different.

Who's money? The punters gave it to the bookies in the first place and every other bet placed in any of his fiddles was money conned from ordinary punters.

Some hero!!?
Report ballyregan October 12, 2021 5:40 PM BST
if you were a formbook student surely you have to agree with Glentobys analogy
Report cloone river October 12, 2021 5:40 PM BST
Do you lay tarmac Glentoby?
Report glentoby October 12, 2021 5:48 PM BST
Only lay nubile blondes these days,usually waken up with an elbow in the ribs and the OH smirking!!Shocked
Report cloone river October 12, 2021 6:31 PM BST
Good man glentoby.
Report thesportinglife October 12, 2021 6:57 PM BST
glentoby if you was told a horse had 10lb in hand and was off in a race next week, would you refuse to back it because only you knew about the gamble ?
Report glentoby October 12, 2021 7:28 PM BST
I would share it on here,ask Tom Morley and Stuart Williams!!!!Wink
Report glentoby October 12, 2021 7:31 PM BST
BTW ask the BHA if I would have breached any rules!!!Wink
Report Storm Alert October 12, 2021 8:05 PM BST
Just watched it, excellent documentary.
Report Ramruma October 12, 2021 8:37 PM BST
There is a difference between knowing a horse has 10 pounds in hand, and deliberately hooking it for 18 months until it is dropped 10 pounds.
Report howard October 13, 2021 12:35 AM BST
Sean Graham " Don't bet it ( yellow sam ) in my shops or I will hang you". Laugh
Report driver2 October 13, 2021 10:10 AM BST
When Barney was training, the whole world and his brother knew when one of his was at it, the price shortened up rapidly. You people that are slagging him off were obviously too stupid to see the signs and not follow him in.
His gambling pales into insignificance, however, when compared with his work setting up and running DAFA during his last 20 years and he should be remembered as the great philanthropist that he was.
“I am now in the twilight of my life, and I have been granted a great privilege by God to live my dream. Helping people less well off than ourselves."
Wish I could say that!
Rest in Peace Barney.
Report GLASGOWCALLING October 13, 2021 10:39 AM BST
Yes, it must be gratifying for any honest runners behind Barneys coup horses to know their money has gone to a good

cause. !!
Report screaming from beneaththewaves October 13, 2021 1:43 PM BST
Yes. Direct Aid For Curley.
Report mrcombustible October 13, 2021 3:25 PM BST
I enjoyed the programme.

The girl that drove him to Bellewstown in her car was Anne Brogan from Balrath which is about 8 miles from the track.They hid in the centre of the track which was all gorse bushes in those days, now a pitch and putt course.  She is Barry and Peter Brogan's sister, many on here will remember Barry and to a lesser extent Peter as both rode in the UK. Barry became very famous for all the wrong reasons.
Report Ramruma October 13, 2021 3:44 PM BST
@driver2 -- what about the workers? The ordinary punters up and down the country who'd place their bets at lunchtime then go back to work? How were they to know if one of Barney's was going to shorten in two or three hours time? To see the signs and follow him in?

Barney's work for DAFA may have been worthy of the saints but he was far from one himself.
Report cacique October 13, 2021 4:09 PM BST
His conscience must have got to him to set up DAFA.

Lots happened that couldn't have been said.

The insurance business baffled me. and then how he was manager of a showband and then to completely give it up is strange
Report carrot1960 October 13, 2021 4:12 PM BST
He was as "bent a trainer that ever sent a horse to the races
Report MJK October 13, 2021 4:24 PM BST

Oct 13, 2021 -- 10:09AM, cacique wrote:

His conscience must have got to him to set up DAFA. Lots happened that couldn't have been said. The insurance business baffled me. and then how he was manager of a showband and then to completely give it up is strange

Perhaps the fact that the Miami Showband were executed by Loyalist gunmen while returning South from a gig showed that it wasn't a safe environment to be in.

Report cacique October 13, 2021 6:02 PM BST

Oct 13, 2021 -- 10:24AM, MJK wrote:

Oct 13, 2021 -- 3:09PM, cacique wrote:His conscience must have got to him to set up DAFA. Lots happened that couldn't have been said. The insurance business baffled me. and then how he was manager of a showband and then to completely give it up is strangePerhaps the fact that the Miami Showband were executed by Loyalist gunmen while returning South from a gig showed that it wasn't a safe environment to be in.

oh
that would explain alot

Report LoyalHoncho October 13, 2021 7:12 PM BST
"Getting a mark" has always been the aim of the lowly trainer.  It is the only way many of them can survive.  They can;t all be patronised and funded by Shadwell or the Aga Khan.  It happens in low level Irish racing every week of the year.  Here the stewards go for the lowly trainer whose horse goes off at 150/1 runs accordingly and is accused of not trying.  In Ireland they win at 150, 80, 66 to 1 and never even rate a raised eyebrow.
Report thesportinglife October 13, 2021 9:59 PM BST
well said Driver 2,all these moaners harping on about punters being left in the dark,of course he was running his horses for himself but no one had to bet in the races in had a runner in, and what can never be doubted is his ability to ready a horse sometimes after over a year off the track to turn up in peak condition on the given day.
Report thesportinglife October 13, 2021 9:59 PM BST
well said Driver 2,all these moaners harping on about punters being left in the dark,of course he was running his horses for himself but no one had to bet in the races in had a runner in, and what can never be doubted is his ability to ready a horse sometimes after over a year off the track to turn up in peak condition on the given day.
Report GLASGOWCALLING October 13, 2021 10:05 PM BST
.... Of course nobody has to bet in his races, but what about the other owners and horses in his races that were

running  straight. ???
Report smirnoff2therescue October 13, 2021 11:46 PM BST
me and Tom made donations im sure LoveLoveLove

gr8 man and wot the sports arl aboot - bent as fook yes but we arl know that b4 we hav a bet LoveLoveWinkWink
Report Storm Alert October 14, 2021 9:15 AM BST
Interesting article:

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/barney-curley-the-famous-five/191989

I was at Sandown when Magic Combination won the Imperial Cup and there was no presentation. The sponsors were standing around not knowing what to do as Curley refused to pay for the trophy so it wasn't awarded either; not good for encouraging sponsorship. Me and some mates approached Curley when he was walking across the ring, but he wouldn't give us the time of day.
Report ballyregan October 14, 2021 11:39 AM BST
curley was that good a trickster he even has tricked alot of forumites to think he was a saint a quite remarkable talent
Report howard October 14, 2021 11:50 AM BST
yeah good article. But the sponsors were bookmakers. Probably not a good time to approach him but most  pro gamblers ( not tipsters ) are focused on their own financial fortunes so spending time with the betting public would be a hindrance.
Report ballyregan October 14, 2021 12:00 PM BST
loose lips sink ships
Report sparrow October 14, 2021 1:15 PM BST
Very good and well made programme.
Report howard October 14, 2021 2:00 PM BST
agree sparrow.  Also Barney trained for himself. Therefore he didn't have to have a "nice" personality or a false "nice" personality
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com