Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
howard
07 Oct 21 15:49
| Topic/replies: 10,615 | Blogger: howard's blog
Handy for those that can't have a dish but will the racing pics be as quick as satellite ?
Pause Switch to Standard View Sky's own streaming tv no dish...
Show More
Report howard October 7, 2021 3:51 PM BST
You buy/rent their tv btw.
Report swiftynifty October 7, 2021 3:55 PM BST
Bad news for future IR players. GET YOUR DISH NOW. Internet pics a mile behind.
Report dave1357 October 7, 2021 4:17 PM BST
They are actually selling the tvs not a streaming service, so no doubt will monitor everything you and your family do and sell it all to the highest bidder.
Report sparrow October 7, 2021 4:53 PM BST
Very expensive

The streaming TV from Sky

From £13 a month
Includes 43" TV with 48m interest free loan. Subject to status & credit check. Sky Ultimate TV at £26 a month (31 day contract) also required.

The only TV with Sky Inside. So you can stream every channel, show and app over WiFi. No dish. No box. No fuss.
Streamed over WiFi with a min download speed of 10Mbps

Sonic. Boom.

Six powerful speakers. Epic subwoofer. All built-in for spine-tingling 360° Dolby Atmos® sound. Concert. Cinema. Stadium. Sky Glass puts you there.

Hi-tech. Low price.

Sky Glass is the ultimate all-inclusive package deal. With easy monthly payments, it's cutting-edge tech and money-saving value. Win, win.
Go allinclusive

With Sky Glass, everything you need is built in. So no need to pay for screen, soundbar and box separately. It's the ultimate package deal.
0%APR

Now you can buy a TV like a mobile phone. Get Sky Glass on a monthly payment plan, with 0% interest. So no need to shell out loads of cash in one go. Makes perfect sense really.
A warranty.Just in case.

Sky Glass comes with a two-year warranty as standard. So in the unlikely event something does go wrong, you're covered.
Report mitolo October 7, 2021 5:13 PM BST
theres no way it wont be miles behind. those who do not think what we have now is as good as its going to get are deluded. cannot complain about rtv stream. atr will always be utter sh1te
Report tantpis October 7, 2021 5:26 PM BST
Will probably faze out satellite signal within 18 months,so will have no option to get their TV and new receiver.I presume if you do get a TV set from Sky you can use the Sky receiver on your TV set you have now and keep the Sky TV as a spare set.I say this as I would prefer to use the TV I have now.
Report barstool October 7, 2021 5:27 PM BST
Sonic boom. 6 powerful speakers. Dear oh dear.

All too much for me I'm afraid.

I will be down in the easy chair with a good book or listening to the wireless.

Each to their own though.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves October 7, 2021 5:36 PM BST
Imagine the uproar when the first penalty shoot-out gets broadcast a minute behind the live action! Everyone who's paid for this service will be getting texts telling them the result while they're still watching the penultimate kick. That will be the end of it then and there. This is going to be a colossally expensive screw-up.
Report duffy October 7, 2021 5:40 PM BST
What happens when your internet goes down?????

No tele??
Report screaming from beneaththewaves October 7, 2021 5:45 PM BST
Best of all, everyone's internet will become rubbish anyway, because of customers suddenly using it to watch these things.
Report duffy October 7, 2021 5:47 PM BST
Yep, when the internet goes down, so does your TV..a massive oversight by SkyCrazy
Report tony6499 October 7, 2021 6:12 PM BST
How many people will have the internet speed to cope with what's needed ? Imagine a penalty shoot out and it starts buffering whilst everyone else already knows the result. Might work but like all the new technology it is bound to have teething trouble and waiting a while will see it sorted and become cheaper
Report howard October 7, 2021 6:22 PM BST
Bilsdale mast burnt down so there is possible problems with everything.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves October 7, 2021 6:34 PM BST
Even if your internet is 100% perfect, everyone else will already know the result of the penalty shootout. Because they won't be watching it on a delayed internet stream.

You can already watch Sky in perfect HD via the internet - on the Sky Go app. It's a mere one minute-plus behind the same thing on satellite telly.
Report Ghetto Joe October 7, 2021 7:05 PM BST
Betfair's internet feeds and people watching feeds from drones etc  are quicker than the current SKY satellite feed so the technology is there. Just hard to imagine SKy will put in the effort to beat those
Report Ramruma October 7, 2021 7:15 PM BST
Sky realised Netflix is poncing off everyone else's investment in internet cables and does not have to pay to maintain satellites.
Report grayhawk October 7, 2021 7:26 PM BST
Let's hope the quality is better then the current SKY Q boxes...i watch most sports with the mute on and the noise from the box is slowly sending me insane AngryCry
Report mrcombustible October 7, 2021 7:32 PM BST
Grayhawk I don't gey any noise from my sky q box
Report grayhawk October 7, 2021 7:45 PM BST
Count yourself lucky mrcombustible...i've seen on various forums that plenty have the same problem....it's the noise of the hard drive - similar to water dripping into a drainpipe...
Report pablo-fanque October 7, 2021 7:45 PM BST
no noise here either
Report screaming from beneaththewaves October 7, 2021 7:51 PM BST
Betfair's internet feeds and people watching feeds from drones etc  are quicker than the current SKY satellite feed so the technology is there. Just hard to imagine SKy will put in the effort to beat those

Are those feeds in 4k high-definition (which is what Sky are promising with these new tellies)? Or are they the titchy, ultra low-definition pictures we enjoy with Betfair live video?

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but my understanding is that to get internet pictures that fast, you have to compromise heavily on quality.
Report swiftynifty October 7, 2021 9:23 PM BST
grayhawk, do a manual software upgrade, that did the trick with one of mine.
Report JJmbe October 8, 2021 7:30 AM BST

Oct 7, 2021 -- 12:12PM, tony6499 wrote:

How many people will have the internet speed to cope with what's needed ? Imagine a penalty shoot out and it starts buffering whilst everyone else already knows the result. Might work but like all the new technology it is bound to have teething trouble and waiting a while will see it sorted and become cheaper

This exact thing happened last world cup was in a bar sat in a little marina in Menorca with about a dozen bars there, all the streams were slightly different speeds behind live, was hilarious watching the people cheering at 20-30 seconds intervals was like some weird mexican wave of sound out of sync, cant see if working.

Report sparrow October 8, 2021 8:02 AM BST
From the WHICH website...

How much more expensive is a Sky Glass TV compared to a conventional TV?

Most people buy TVs outright and are then free to choose whatever TV package they want, if any. You can pay for the Sky Glass TV upfront, if you don’t want to add to your monthly costs.

If we take the cost of the Sky subscription away, how much more expensive is a Sky Glass TV compared to a Samsung model of a similar size and spec?
Model     43-inch     55-inch     65-inch
Sky Glass TV over 48 months     £624     £935     £1,008
Sky Glass TV if you pay upfront     £649     £849     £1,049
Samsung Q60A range     £599     £799     £999

(Since the Sky Glass TVs have quantum dot displays, advanced HDR formats and surround-sound audio processing, we’ve compared them to the Samsung Q60A range which has broadly the same features.)

There’s also an option to pay over 24 months. However you buy the TV, you always need to take out a Sky subscription at the same time.
Report dustybin October 8, 2021 8:49 AM BST
This has been on the cards for years. They were talking about getting rid of physical dishes a decade ago, but perhaps the internet wasn't upto it.

Now it doesn't matter whether SD or HD, and for the same reason drones and LV can be lightning quick- they lease Amazon's AWS services which is their cloud computing side of the business that have monster servers that allow for full software packages to run from the cloud as well or better than having them on computers on your desk.
The next big thing is subscription browsers where all those cloud services are handled by a similar company that will give you 1gb speed.

Sky bought up part of virgin years ago and repackaged it as their own internet, but whether they have any interest in buying AWS cloud computer remains to be seen.
Report GoBallistic October 8, 2021 9:04 AM BST
Virgin TV is obviously cabled and fairly close to Sky's lag I think (close enough to play things like in-running golf and football). Different cable to the usual broadband cable though. Mine's on the decades old "cable TV" cable - not sure technically what the difference is
Report Manoleeds October 8, 2021 9:21 AM BST
If I've got the radio on downstairs and wireless internet on upstairs, there is about a ten second delay with the internet.
Report grayhawk October 8, 2021 10:17 AM BST
Cheers swiftynifty..i'll have my brother look at it for me sometime.
Report swiftynifty October 8, 2021 11:12 AM BST
grayhawk, it's no guarantee but it did work for me, a glitch on how often it's telling the fan to operate.

Simple to do 

Press Home button
Scroll down to Settings and select
Scroll down to System info
Arrow across once and then down once to Software and across again to Setup
Then press Software download.

I hope it works for you too.
Report grayhawk October 8, 2021 12:39 PM BST
Tried that Swiftynifty...hasn't fixed it but thanks anyway.
Report Storm Alert October 8, 2021 1:07 PM BST
It does look quite interesting for Sky users with decent internet speeds. Since I moved to a more rural area a few years ago my internet speed is D38mbps/U9mbps, I switched to Sky Broadband and can only remember it being down once for an afternoon. My Sky dish has been down more than that for bad weather.

With my internet speeds I have no problem watching Ultra HD either Sky / Netflix stuff or You Tube. However watching Ultra HD football I have to turn off notification apps when watching football or I know if a goal has been scored about 30 secs before the TV catches up.

The new Sky Glass TV is bound to be decent as Sky need to convince customers to try out and if it has hard disk for pausing/recording etc, should be possible to watch something recorded on the rare occasion there is an internet issue.

I really like the sound if it to be honest and when my OLED TV packs up might give it a go as avoids the capital outlay.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves October 8, 2021 2:12 PM BST
A minimum speed of 10mbps is required.

It’s interesting to note that there’s no satellite dish port on the Sky Glass at all – so even if, at some point, you would rather switch from broadband to satellite – you can’t.

While you can pause live TV, fast forward, rewind and record programmes – everything is broadband and cloud-based – so if you later want to watch programmes you’ve “recorded”, you would still need a broadband connection in order to watch them.

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/sky-glass-4k-streaming-tv-hands-on/

It's 6 mps maximum here. west of Taunton, never mind 10 mps minimum!

Will pause and rewind in photo finishes be as precise and fast as with a hard disk? I have my doubts, if you're going to be relying on signals being beamed back and forth to cloud-based servers.
Report Storm Alert October 8, 2021 3:12 PM BST
6mbps will not be enough. One of my friends gets about 12-15mbps and sometimes has problem streaming Ultra F1 from his Skybox if wife is on the internet.

I've now found out the Glass TV will not include a hard drive, hopefully it would be possible to add one. Pause and rewind will not work particularly well unless there is some built in memory for some buffering (or a hard disk). 4GB memory would probably be enough for 30mins HD or 15min Ultra I would guess. On a freeview TV it is easy enough to add a 1TB USB SSD for recording and they are getting cheaper.
Report swiftynifty October 8, 2021 4:41 PM BST
pause and rewind often fails on my miniboxes, and RTV not allowing it today on main SKYQ box. What's the point of rewinding etc if the video you're receiving is 10 secs+ behind? I guess you're meaning for catching up rather then photo betting etc.
Report duffy October 8, 2021 4:57 PM BST
Still on Sky plus here, don't want Sky Q as it doesn't have the slow motion option that I like to use
Report duncan idaho October 8, 2021 5:07 PM BST
ditto. not liking the sound of this thread
Report Storm Alert October 8, 2021 5:47 PM BST
I guess most people just want to pause when they go to the loo or make a cup of tea. So hardware will be basic buffering not much good for our niche requirements. The only hope is the hardware will be upgradable through a USB port. I'm not holding my breath.
Report swiftynifty October 9, 2021 1:18 PM BST
Is anyone else unable to pause/rewind RTV on SKYQ today and yesterday?
Report sparrow October 9, 2021 1:25 PM BST
No problem here Sky Q
Report swiftynifty October 9, 2021 1:31 PM BST
cheers sparrow, I've had it before and it's sorted itself, maybe a reboot after racing.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com