Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Celtic warrior
06 Oct 21 09:18
| Topic/replies: 1,687 | Blogger: Celtic warrior's blog
I watched the excellent nick luck interview with Gary Wilshire last night on youtube. Gary comes across as a very likable chap who has shown incredible resilience and honesty to bounce back from that ascot disaster. Laying £1.4m to gain £600k on one horse race must have taken act  of real guts knowing the incredible value on offer or pure gambling lunacy.
However, it reminds me of the parallel on the other side of the betting fence, namely Harry Findley. At the 2007 world cup he bet £1m on the kiwis, who lost that famous quarter final in the citadel of sport.
Essentially both of them bet their whole lives on ONE sporting event. To me that goes against all the rules of betting. i.e. Save a separate gambling pot, invest a small proportion each time, (which would still hurt if it lost) and every time you bet really feel that you are obtaining value.
In the end, the two of them are excellent publicity for the bookmakers. They bring excitement and thrill to gambling, which is exactly what profitable gamblers do NOT want to bring to the game. For that they are known as CHARACTERS.
Pause Switch to Standard View Gary Wilshire
Show More
Report portmanpark October 6, 2021 9:22 AM BST
suppose you dont get many chances of laying a 16\1 at 2\1 but i dont think i could have done it....with harry findlay people think he was some great horse racing judge byt think he lost 2 million but won more on sports like tennis
Report Blackrock October 6, 2021 10:23 AM BST
Findlay had a decent saver on France in the rugby [v NZ].

I think as a bookie you have to bet to what you can afford, even if something as tempting as laying way under the odds to what it should be.

Remember Harry being asked what his best bet was that he'd had. Answer Stephen Hendry at 1/33 v some mug in the World Snooker.
Report Celtic warrior October 6, 2021 10:54 AM BST
portman,

he was apparently saved by the sydney bunnies aswell
Report The Knight October 6, 2021 11:19 AM BST
What made Finday's bet so stupid was how he could have laid back at 1/2 time to win a huge sum whatever the result of the game, or at least covered his original stake.

But greed overtook him and he was shown to be a fool at that point.

No excuses for failing to at least protect his stake. Any aspiring professionals on here need to learn from his errors. A true pro gambler actually invests, not gambles, whenever the opportunity presents itself.
Report tony6499 October 6, 2021 11:29 AM BST
Wilshere gambled the lot thinking the odds were in his favour but in the circumstances of the day it wasn't a normal bet and he should have realised that.
Report TheNorfolkMafia October 6, 2021 11:41 AM BST
I still maintain the last leg of Dettori's Magnificent 7 was a cr**ked race!
Report jimnast October 6, 2021 11:57 AM BST
Good morning Celtic

I know Gary very well and he really is a likeable chap either on the phone or on the racecourse it’s always a laugh and your day is always better after speaking with him.
Report swiftynifty October 6, 2021 12:45 PM BST
He was greedy and paid the price. It wasn't laying a 16-1 shot at 2s, forget weight of money, the circumstances of the day had changed everything.
Report sparrow October 6, 2021 12:50 PM BST
He is a proper layer something which punters on here are always wishing for. He bet his opinion.
Report howard October 6, 2021 1:30 PM BST
That's right swifty. If it had been a normal day you could have taken a bit of a risk although you wouldn't want to go mad anytime.
Report sparrow October 6, 2021 2:05 PM BST
Laugh
Report monarch October 6, 2021 2:07 PM BST
Don't know Gary personally, but always enjoyed him on the BBC or on the dogs on Sky Sports.

One thing about that day in Ascot still puzzles me though. He said he went there instead of Worcester to "nick a few quid", or words to that effect. If so, how on earth do you end up laying a horse for the sums he did? No matter what the situation was on the day, it's hard to justify.
Report portmanpark October 6, 2021 2:08 PM BST
sparrow...proper layer who lost more than he could afford ...reckless i would call it
Report slickster October 6, 2021 2:11 PM BST
He couldn't get one gigantic fact out of his head. I am allowed to lay a 20-1 shot at 4s 3s and 2s. The fact that if it wins he's a goner never entered his head. Adrenalin took over. Strange how he or anyone is allowed to lay a horse to lose 1.4 million when he only has 3k in his pocket.
Report sparrow October 6, 2021 2:13 PM BST
Well it makes a change from complaining about layers who won't take risks.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com