Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
lemon drop kid
04 Oct 21 18:22
| Topic/replies: 89 | Blogger: lemon drop kid's blog
How is the s/P of a horse decided nowadays?
Show More
Report ItsMeSwaddle October 4, 2021 6:29 PM BST
Off course new SP system, RP did a study and its better than the on course bookmaking old style returns.

Both very poor imo, bet on here if you can.
Report ItsMeSwaddle October 4, 2021 6:30 PM BST
New cistern basically just looks at this place (dont know if thats the offical line) and takes x% off every horse and thats the SP returned.
Report lemon drop kid October 4, 2021 7:09 PM BST
Don't think that's correct swaddle, think it's the average price the big 5 bookmakers are happy to lay. Was just wanting confirmation this is the case. Point I was trying to make, is that this system was adopted when no punters allowed on course, but that is no longer the case, so why haven't we returned to the original system????
Report ItsMeSwaddle October 4, 2021 7:14 PM BST
Well put it this way, what is the point of the on course books returning the SP's anyway? All they do is mirror the exchange...which is exactly what the big books do, hence if you take a sample of the big 5 its just BFSP -x% 99% of the time. If they are not taken directly from here they are derived from here, no need to use the on course books.
Report sparrow October 4, 2021 7:21 PM BST
Agree with swaddle here. Why worry about bookmakers SP?
Report GLASGOWCALLING October 4, 2021 7:43 PM BST
OFF course reps, on course rep, Betfare Rep play rock paper scissors.
Report kevinglass October 4, 2021 7:45 PM BST
Well.....as the on course books offer stingy ew place terms, then generally I used to find that the prices were a bit more generous on the bigger priced horses in big runner handicaps on Saturdays. As of course they don't need to worry about the place payout so much.

With many of the big High St bookies offering 5, 6 & 7 places, then they do seem quite tight on the SP of bigger priced runners, to protect their place payouts.

Understandable, but unfortunate.
Report lemon drop kid October 4, 2021 7:52 PM BST
Spot on Kevin glass...... This is my gripe, if on course bookmakers returned the sp, then the big firms couldn't strangle the price of a big drifter, like they do now.
Report lemon drop kid October 4, 2021 7:57 PM BST
Sparrow I use both Betfair and bookmakers ps can anyone confirm my comments on the change of how SP are returned????
Report top2rated October 5, 2021 5:10 AM BST
lemon drop kid

Here are two links from the Starting Price Regulatory Commission website.  The second one is a press release from 30 March 2021.

http://www.thesprc.org/

http://www.thesprc.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/SPRC-Press-Release-FINAL-300322.pdf
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com