Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Gordon63
30 Sep 21 17:29
| Topic/replies: 3,255 | Blogger: Gordon63's blog
More whining and begging for hand outs - they continue to NOT get it.....

a) less races - I'm as certain as I can be that this would INCREASE the levy
b) one body controlling the fixture list - no more far from 'super Saturday' or three AW meetings in high summer (see above)!!
c) increasing revenue from racegoers - WTF admission and concession fees are already extortionate and driving real enthusiasts out of the sport at the expense of the music/hen party crowds
d) integrity - the 'youth' in my extended family feel far more comfortable betting football or F1 or US sports and one reason is they believe there is less (or no) cheating
e) animal welfare - after the horrible start to 2021 OF COURSE there should be more focus on safeguarding the horses

Tony Calvin may not be everyone's cup of tea and personally I don't like his 'bluster' but even in the midst of cancer treatment he spoke out against her interview on Luck on Sunday, those who love racing continue to get ignored and fleeced at every opportunity

Harrington said the government was considering further regulation in areas including animal welfare, betting and environmental sustainability which would put financial pressure on businesses at the same time that inflation was increasing industry costs.

"But the overall profits from betting on racing haven't grown for the past 20 years as betting on other products has grown," she added. "In turn this means the return from the levy hasn't kept pace with inflation, and the gap will grow even wider over the next five years. We believe that creates a revenue shortfall into the industry of over £160m up to 2024."

Harrington said racing needed to increase revenues from racegoers, betting and sponsorship, and had to work closely with the betting industry.

British racing's leadership, through its executive committee, she said was also working on a number of projects to increase engagement with the sport and its customer base, including the fixture list and race programme; the use of data, building on the Racehorse Owners Association's ownership strategy; and development of the levy.
Pause Switch to Standard View the boss of UK racing - RP Article
Show More
Report ItsMeSwaddle September 30, 2021 11:40 PM BST
Isn’t it blatantly obvious we need less racing.

If they insist on keeping these AW cards move them. Take them from the middle of summer and put them on winter weeknights. So you’ve got 2 meetings at night, a race every 15 mins, not every 30.
Report ronnie rails September 30, 2021 11:57 PM BST
IMS

The punters will back on any race anywhere the shop has been very very bust today, what race did we take most money on I will tell you WOODBINE yes poxy WOODBINE 3 bets take over a monkey on them . paid them out with a smile.

Ronnie.
Report doantwin2easy October 1, 2021 1:11 AM BST
I don't think we need less racing. The public will still turn up in numbers for the big meetings regardless of additional fixtures, because race meetings have become social events - and gambling its bi-product. Which still ensures a decent turnover for gambling at the bigger meetings.

I don't buy the purist argument that jo public wants less racing of better quality. The world has changed. The majority of "at home" punters are not fussed about biding their time to study up a Newmarket Thursday, just because there is no (decent) racing on the Wednesday. They'll simply move their cash over to other products.

Racing has to get its head round the fact that the gambling monopoly it had for so many years, no longer applies. Ideas like quicker turnarounds between races have much more legs than a racing league. The F1 model has one team, maybe 2 drivers and one standard car. The horse racing model has one team, several drivers, and countless cars. There's just no buy in with that level of complication.
Report sparrow October 1, 2021 7:31 AM BST
As ever people putting up their personal likes and dislikes and not worrying how many people they might throw out of work.
Report Gordon63 October 4, 2021 11:16 AM BST
sparrow - nero and his fiddle
Report clacton October 4, 2021 12:28 PM BST
Maybe if Bookmakers started taking bets and not closing accounts the levy would pay more money into racing.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com