Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ashleigh
26 Sep 21 09:48
| Topic/replies: 17,517 | Blogger: ashleigh's blog
on luck on sunday now, rubbing salt into the wounds of his losses from frankie's magnificent 7.SadLaugh
Pause Switch to Standard View gary wiltshire
Show More
Report slickster September 26, 2021 10:51 AM BST
He did the right thing. Laying a20-1 shot at 2s. I'm sure he couldn't believe his luck. But then...
Report ashleigh September 26, 2021 10:59 AM BST
taking £660k from the big firms.Crazy
Report swiftynifty September 26, 2021 11:48 AM BST
But it wasn't a 20s shot. Prices change for a reason, it was 2-1 when he laid it , the horse knew by then he had to win, as for the other jockeys in the race(bar one) they knew it too!
Report penzance September 26, 2021 11:55 AM BST
on the book it was.It was only 2/1 because the weight
of roll up money.He was only laying one horse.Did'nt
come off that time,most others it would've.
Report swiftynifty September 26, 2021 12:02 PM BST
w.o.m. yes, obviously it's form chance hadn't changed from the morning, but it's theoretical chances of winning had fundamentally changed when everything was factored in.
Report swiftynifty September 26, 2021 12:07 PM BST
what price do you think it would've gone off on here?
Report Joe Lampton September 26, 2021 12:13 PM BST
Good to see him on Luck On Sunday and was a good interview. Think the sheer weight of money means that'd likely would have gone off around 2/1 on here...maybe 3.2.
Report swiftynifty September 26, 2021 12:15 PM BST
unusual one in that all the big guns stood to lose so you're probably right.
Report sparrow September 26, 2021 12:16 PM BST
No better chance than the morning obviously but the bookmakers liabilities made the odds.
Report swiftynifty September 26, 2021 12:20 PM BST
sparrow, liabilities aside, i think it did have a better chance, at that moment Dettori was worth 5lbs and the other jocks -5lbs.
Report sparrow September 26, 2021 12:24 PM BST
I couldn't possible assume such a situation as that, swifty.
Report sparrow September 26, 2021 12:24 PM BST
*possibly
Report swiftynifty September 26, 2021 12:27 PM BST
He was brave to lay it but he was old school, but you had to feel for him as he's such a nice guy. Anyway, you backing Upton Park today?!
Report sparrow September 26, 2021 12:47 PM BST
Haven't looked at the cards properly yet but I rarely back debutants anyway. There was a horse of the same name in the 1980s who started on the flat and ended up as a junper.
Report handtorofe September 26, 2021 1:00 PM BST
i was there had a small share in a book was offered the chance to lay it at 7/2 which i did for all i had on me luckily only 2k i will never forget the shock around the ring after the race remember a lot of small books like gary laid it inside with money they didnt have.
Report sparrow September 26, 2021 1:04 PM BST
I think most bookmakers would have been pleased to lay it other than those who make a strict book.
Report handtorofe September 26, 2021 1:14 PM BST
Bookmaking then and now is like chalk and cheese
Report screaming from beneaththewaves September 26, 2021 1:22 PM BST
Everyone who laid it to their maximum did the right thing. What I'll never fathom is why a few, such as Gary, laid it so far beyond their maximum that they were effectively ruined.

There's a golden rule in the City - always make sure you're still in the game tomorrow.
Report SlippyBlue September 26, 2021 1:23 PM BST
I enjoyed the interview a great deal.I admire his honesty and having bet with him many times over the years he was always a gentleman and 'old school'which is highly commendable quality in my book.
Report sparrow September 26, 2021 1:29 PM BST
He posts on rare occasions in the Greyhound forum.
Report howard September 26, 2021 1:30 PM BST
yes screaming lay it to your max which may be 10% of bank or even slightly more. But what Gary did was use all money he had plus credit. No bet is worth that he was greedy and admits it.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves September 26, 2021 1:34 PM BST
That's what makes the story so bizarre, Slippy. Wiltshire's old school - he knew how to be a proper bookmaker. So what possessed him to throw it all way on one roll of the dice?

Having said that, I was at Worcester that afternoon, and ended up a grand up thanks very much. If I'd been at Ascot, and six grand down after six races thanks to Frankie, who's to say I wouldn't have got caught up in the frenzy and gone haywire too?
Report howard September 26, 2021 1:35 PM BST
Also in that race you had a very unusual situation. You would have been unwise to just look at the odds and form of the horses. Who knows if any jocks were not quite putting it all in?  Unlike some I believe Eddery did. Thought he gave the runner-up a very strong ride.
Report slickster September 26, 2021 1:36 PM BST
Totally got in way over his head. 25 years ago he was small time. Was carrying 3k. So what d **ck was he doing racing up liabilities of 1.4 million? First bet from a quarrel rep looking for 40k at 9-2. Why take that bet when you don't deal in that kind of money? The quarrel rep picking on a little fish as well. Disgusting. He should have stopped laying it after it would have cost him 100k. That won't ruin you. 1.4 million will. Great character though.
Report ronnie rails September 26, 2021 1:40 PM BST
I think the luckiest guy that day was the guy who sometimes had a share in the book with Gal, how much do i owe you Gal er er i think we have a problem.

hope you are all well

Ronnie.
Report second again September 26, 2021 1:44 PM BST
I think sometimes in life you think you only get so many chances and pull the trigger.A backer or layer the more value you think you have the bigger the temptation.I was told years ago to always buy a return ticket when you go to back a certainty.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves September 26, 2021 1:52 PM BST
I was just thinking that, second again. Maybe Wiltshire wasn't motivated by greed that afternoon, but more by ambition. The one opportunity he might get to take it all up a notch. That and getting his losses from the previous 6 Frankie winners, of course. Never underestimate the irrationality of the Getting Out Stakes. We've all been there.
Report freddiewilliams September 26, 2021 1:53 PM BST
Havenot seen the program.
Excellent posts lads
Report chavman September 26, 2021 1:57 PM BST
he wasnt down before the race,he was breaking even.
Report freddiewilliams September 26, 2021 1:59 PM BST
Level. How is that possible
Report screaming from beneaththewaves September 26, 2021 2:00 PM BST
Really, chav? Bloody hell. Just shows what a good bookmaker he was.
Report TheNorfolkMafia September 26, 2021 2:06 PM BST
Cr**ked last race, Pat Eddery had read the script!
Report hulk23 September 26, 2021 2:09 PM BST
Fujiyama at 2/1 Silly 

form before the race was stinking, was soon sent hurdling, useless. then went point to point, tailed off three times.  how it won that race at Ascot will remain a mystery.
Report sparrow September 26, 2021 2:15 PM BST
howard Joined: 09 Mar 03
Replies: 1044326 Sep 21 12:35
Who knows if any jocks were not quite putting it all in?  Unlike some I believe Eddery did. Thought he gave the runner-up a very strong ride.

TheNorfolkMafia 26 Sep 21 13:06 
Cr**ked last race, Pat Eddery had read the script!

So did Eddery try or not?
Report Cider September 26, 2021 2:16 PM BST
Turgenev was 25-1 in the morning, sp 7/2 after FD won the first four races in RA 2019. It was pretty close to the SP on here as I remember laying it, and thinking I'd done my money for 99% of the race. Ironically, Turgenev may have won if FD had not won the first four as he had a bit of adrenalin rush and went too early. It's hard to believe the drama doesn't impact how the other riders approach the race too.
Report TheNorfolkMafia September 26, 2021 2:18 PM BST
hulk23 • September 26, 2021 2:09 PM BST
Fujiyama at 2/1 Silly

form before the race was stinking, was soon sent hurdling, useless. then went point to point, tailed off three times.  how it won that race at Ascot will remain a mystery.

No mystery at all, it was a cr**ked race!
Report penzance September 26, 2021 2:22 PM BST
Ederry had nothing to gain by letting him win.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves September 26, 2021 2:27 PM BST
hulk2326 Sep 21 13:09Joined: 04 May 12 | Topic/replies: 17,439 | Blogger: hulk23's blog
Fujiyama at 2/1 Silly

That's bollocks. Two runs previously it had only been beaten 4 lengths at Royal Ascot, where it didn't stay the extra half-mile, and had been dropped a couple of pounds since then. It was a Michael Stoute/Frankie Dettori horse, for god's sake.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves September 26, 2021 2:29 PM BST
It had even made all and won the same race under Dettori the year before.
Report hulk23 September 26, 2021 2:30 PM BST
9th of 26 and then hopelessly tailed off at Newcastle.

on yer bike ....
Report screaming from beneaththewaves September 26, 2021 2:35 PM BST
Ninth of 26 at Royal Ascot is a great run. Particularly when only beaten 4 lengths, weakening over 20 furlongs. Now back to 16 furlongs, 2 pounds lower and in the race it had won the year before. No wonder Dettori wanted the ride again.
Report hulk23 September 26, 2021 2:40 PM BST
it was that good a run at Ascot, Stoute sent it straight to Henderson to go hurdling.
Report ronnie rails September 26, 2021 2:43 PM BST
Screaming hope you are well

Did John Pegley pack up early that day  can recall him saying he smelt a rat.

Ronnie.
Report The Management September 26, 2021 2:43 PM BST
Nearly all of the talk since has focussed on the last race and much of it on Pat Eddery with conflicting views about his ride (personally I thought he was the only other "trier" in the race!) - but it should never have got to that stage imo.
I'm not one for speaking ill of jockeys (especially if they are dead Cry) - but I'm pretty sure that Swinburn would be the first to admit that he rode an absolute total shocker on Lucayan Prince in the 6f Group 2 race - I think it was the second race on the card.

They could run that race 10 more times and Lucayan Prince would have won the lot. WRS found more trouble in that race than Glentoby on a blind date with Gaze733 at the Forum Christmas Party!
Report Magic__Daps September 26, 2021 2:46 PM BST
Replay up here for anyone who missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YOdWquyFj8

Shocking attitude from Sky for not giving the bloke his job back, even when found to be completely innocent of the story in the papers, nice to know you are sacked before any investigation whatsoever.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves September 26, 2021 2:49 PM BST
I don't know, ronnie. I was at Worcester that day, thank the Lord. Though Pegley tended to smell a rat in most races he bet on. I remember Eddie Fremantle once remarking that as a punter you had to assume the game was straight, otherwise you'd end up like Pegley, tying yourself in knots.

Hope you're well too, ronnie, Got any of those hundred pounds out of Entain yet?!
Report ronnie rails September 26, 2021 2:56 PM BST
Screaming
thanks for the reply

re entain  holding on to tell you the honest truth i have put them in trust for my nephew  aged 19 as my little brother who sad to say passed away 15 years ago.

Ronnie.
Report 1st time poster September 26, 2021 3:03 PM BST
just about sums freemantle up
1000,s of caes proved,suspensions,throuh out of game etc etc and he,d assume the games straight no wonder bookmake,sr and tv love him
Report jamesdean September 26, 2021 3:11 PM BST
Youve maybe took that in the wrong context 1st time poster. Sure Freemantle is well aware there's plenty skull duggery in the game.
He just doesnt let it play with his head too much when betting by the sounds of it
Report ribero1 September 26, 2021 3:24 PM BST
Anyone opened an account with the firm Gary is working for yet? Bresbet.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves September 26, 2021 3:55 PM BST
That's right, jamesdean. Some of the plots and wheezes fremantle has told me about over the years would make your hair stand on end. he's under no illusions.

But if you let that guide your betting, you just end up laying horses because their price has lengthened and backing them when they've shortened. And that doesn't just send you to the poor-house, it drives you half-mad too.
Report 1st time poster September 26, 2021 4:35 PM BST
the shoe gets credited with teaching all the B LIST PRO PUNTERS how to do a tissue,including nevo
nevo does bother anymore because he no,s theres far to many people no far more than him
and i,d imagine on an 8 racecard  the shoe rips 6 of his up  and certainly doesnt bet according to his tissue,

which either means he no,s nothing or like nevo admit that far to many people are privy to info they arnt
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com