Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Whistlejacket
07 Sep 21 10:05
| Topic/replies: 461 | Blogger: Whistlejacket's blog
Leicester racecourse should hang their head in shame at this travesty of a race-card they have served up today. 
It beggars belief that they will have the temerity to ask the public to pay to watch this?

Leicester Racecourse is by no means the only culprit, this problem has been simmering away for many years now - racecourse’s dishing up mediocre cards that wouldn't do justice to a "flapping track". 

I wonder if I am alone in feeling gloomy and despondent about the future of British racing in say about 100 years from now.  It seems to me, British Racing is dying slowly before our very eyes (yes, Royal Ascot, Cheltenham, Goodwood, York and so on, will mask the underlying problem)   

The root of the problem is clear to anyone prepared to open their eyes - a bloated fixture list (solely for the benefit of the bookmakers and racecourses) begets mediocre races and unsustainably low prize money.  At any rate, it would appear the people "responsible" for running British racing don't seem to give a damn!
Pause Switch to Standard View What is the point in today's race...
Show More
Report DancingBraveTheBest September 7, 2021 10:45 AM BST
Yes prize money for most meetings is pretty poor, the owners who are lucky enough to have excess cash to fritter away on racehorses are the ones paying for the sport. Need to do what they do in Ireland, less meetings and more prize money but cant see it happening.
Report Dr Crippen September 7, 2021 10:57 AM BST
What's your beef with Leicester today the small fields?
Report Dr Crippen September 7, 2021 10:58 AM BST
That'll be down to the ground won't it?
Report DancingBraveTheBest September 7, 2021 11:02 AM BST
Surley they water the ground as its the groundsmans job to provide a safe racing environment for all the horses involved.
Report Dr Crippen September 7, 2021 11:20 AM BST
They probably have watered, trainers still don't trust it.
Report sparrow September 7, 2021 11:31 AM BST
Were you planning to attend this meeting at Leicester, whistlejacket?
Report Manoleeds September 7, 2021 11:40 AM BST
Catterick have 8 races today .3 class 6, 4 class 5 and 1 class 4. I find that if I'm there (which I won't be today) that six races is enough .
Report Celtic warrior September 7, 2021 12:03 PM BST
Defo less meetings and reduce horse population gradually overtime. Maybe the swear word of a national racing exchange and national tote only could be raised with 5% max margin in the tote equivalent.

Racing funded by bookmakers is like hen coups built by foxes
Report Celtic warrior September 7, 2021 12:08 PM BST
Cost of meetings prixe money wholly funded from a fixed percentage of the pool and racecourses rewarded through ticket sales plus a top up.

Aim to eradicate class 5 and 6 races over time. More high class claiming races. They are much fairer than handicaps to the punter as the trainer and owner have to show their hand.

Much reduced fixture list but all race courses still allowed to organise non fixture list fixtures totally at own expense ,rather like flapping tracks. They could then supplement with bouncy castles, concerts and other assorted crap at their own behest.
Report tonyb50 September 7, 2021 12:49 PM BST
i blame Brexit
Report sparrow September 7, 2021 1:04 PM BST
Said another ex fisherman
Report shady69 September 7, 2021 1:06 PM BST
Newton Abbot yesterday seemed pointless. 32 runners across 7 races ...
Report sageform September 7, 2021 1:09 PM BST
Two nice novice/maidens so I am happy enough. Three at Goodwood but just 1 at Catterick with 7 handicaps so no bets there for me today. I only bet on maidens, novices, class 2 and above handicaps and Group/listed races. Claimers might be OK if on the US or French model but the current ones I avoid like the plague. All non tryers and rogues.
Report elisjohn September 7, 2021 1:10 PM BST
you say 100 years, im gloomy about now let alone even 10 years
Report cloone river September 7, 2021 2:08 PM BST
Would sooner have a bet in a claimer or seller then any other race.
Report N-east Correspondent September 7, 2021 2:14 PM BST
Will be happy poor card or not if Gosdens Spinaround wins at Leicester today 2.15, easy in the market and never put in the race at Sandown is back out relatively quick and will know lots more about things today

ew bet at 9.8

gl chaps
Report hulk23 September 7, 2021 2:18 PM BST
Eshkaal 4.45 Silly guess who ....
Report Celtic warrior September 8, 2021 9:55 AM BST
Sageform. Interested that you like maidens and novices. Whats your angle given no form in the book?
Report The Knight September 8, 2021 10:31 AM BST
I really wish so many would stop moaning about our racing. I was at Leicester yesterday and had a good day with a nice profit.

Everything is relative. Hence, for example, 11/4 Bowman to win in a field of 3 was in my view great value. In a 22 runner handicap, say 8/1 might be value.

Recently we are seeing more small fields than would be normal but the firm going is a lot to do with that.

Yes, our racing fixture list does need tweaking but what on earth do punters actually want? Easier chances to win with smaller fields where value is easier to sniff out, or impossible handicaps where they bet to 140% outside of the exchanges?

Trouble is, the vast, vast majority of punters do not keep records and have no idea how they have got on with their betting. Neither do they know what size fields they do best in.

By the end of October, we will see big fields again - perhaps not as big as we used to see years ago but that is almost certainly down to the pandemic and the loss of owners. The latter will become worse before it hopefully improves but let's not start messing around with all and sundry because some punters want to jump on the bandwagon of so called 'experts' about small fields etc etc...
Report sparrow September 8, 2021 10:35 AM BST
The only ones moaning about the lack of big fields should be bookmakers.
Report workrider September 8, 2021 10:35 AM BST
Fair point The Knight, like yourself I prefer small fields when having a bet, huge fields are bookies profits ...
Report Celtic warrior September 8, 2021 10:41 AM BST
Yes that old chestnut that you need a big field to guarantee a good pace.

I love fields of 8 to 12 personally non handicaps.preferably good class so saturdays are for me

Obviously with betfair place market ew betting has gone in such races

I laugh when chamberlain says that key phrase 'big betting race of the day. What that really means is that the big bookies have paid itv for him to say that and promote big field handicaps with huge over rounds
Report sageform September 8, 2021 11:03 AM BST
Celtic, I am a follower of pedigrees, owners and trainers and have a limited concern about form. I also believe that 90% of horses stop running consistently after 6-8 runs either because they lose interest or their form is manipulated by connections. I didn't fare that well in yesterdays maiden/novices but as I back a range of odds, that happens. My winner was Invigilate, losers Flying Secret and Electress. Only bets in the afternoon. I might well have backed Locke if I had looked at Windsor but I didn't. Today I like Israr (out of Taghrooda) and Tangled Words (Godolphin/Dubawi) in the Doncaster maiden and Khaadem in the listed race. My main doubt about Israr is the relative price of Frantastic but that is very short for a first time out.
Report workrider September 8, 2021 11:12 AM BST
Sageform you'll be delighted to know that I took a share in a 2yo who has Lady Carla as her third dam...
Report sageform September 8, 2021 11:19 AM BST
A good start anyway. Hope she does well for you.
Report workrider September 8, 2021 11:25 AM BST
Thanks time will tell..
Report sageform September 8, 2021 2:31 PM BST
Booom! Israr just got home from a rank outsider so the jury is out about the form. Taghrooda was an absolutely top class mare. That is a nice profitable day for me.
Report sageform September 8, 2021 4:03 PM BST
Another boom! Help yourself time with Khaadem. That is me done for the day.
Report workrider September 8, 2021 5:09 PM BST
Well done sageform..
Report the numbers seven September 8, 2021 5:46 PM BST
WD Sage, inspired selections.
Report Celtic warrior September 8, 2021 7:31 PM BST
Nice one sage
Report sageform September 8, 2021 7:56 PM BST
Thanks, it is not always that easy and I missed the third winner for Shadwell in the 4.30 as Awtaad is not on my radar as a sire to follow.
Report Celtic warrior September 8, 2021 8:46 PM BST
I loved tagrooda. Oaks was there. King George was there
Report sageform September 9, 2021 8:39 AM BST
Great filly on a par with my favourite, Lailani, who managed to win a 3yo maiden at Windsor before remaining unbeaten for the rest of her career until getting beaten in her last race at Belmont in the Breeders Cup. She went straight from an Epsom handicap to win the Irish Oaks and the Nassau.
Report Facts September 9, 2021 9:23 AM BST

"......Trouble is, the vast, vast majority of punters do not keep records and have no idea how they have got on with their betting. Neither do they know what size fields they do best in. ......."

Absolutely spot on.
Report sageform September 9, 2021 10:31 AM BST
Can't say I keep that information but I do keep a daily diary of profit and loss which is instructive as to which times of year are good or bad. For me the best times are spring 3yo and autumn 2yo maidens and novice hurdles from October to Xmas. Top trainers running high class or expensive horses against lesser opposition at level weights. What can go wrongCry
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com