Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
REGIT
19 Aug 21 18:47
| Topic/replies: 1,027 | Blogger: REGIT's blog
No problem getting in.No queues cost £76 for the two of us.
Wife had 2 pimms £11.70.Couldnt have a coffee due to the queues.
Fish,noodles burgers etc averaged £7
The main tatts and members bookmakers were competitive,usually close or on the button with the first few in the betting and a couple of spots under the rest.The problem for them is the extra places the offcourse are pushing.
Business was fair.The crowd for ladies day was good but not really punters.
Didn’t see one mask inside or out.We went inside and were the only one wearing one.

Did see a bookmaker David Lynch chase after a punter who had given him £110 for a £50 ew bet and give him the tenner back.

Went to see Snowflake so wasn’t disappointed but think it was expensive compared to other York meetingss
Pause Switch to Standard View Went racing for the first time in two...
Show More
Report scrabbler August 19, 2021 7:41 PM BST
Not really surprising it is more expensive than other York meetings. It is their best meeting. I'm off tomorrow - also my first racing trip for two years.
Report manyana August 19, 2021 7:54 PM BST
If you think York is not the best on offer, I suggest you find another sport.
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 August 19, 2021 8:11 PM BST
Reg, you need to ween her off Pimms and on to tap water before you take her again.
Report Manoleeds August 19, 2021 8:49 PM BST
£38 for Tatts -ouch .
Report sparrow August 19, 2021 10:40 PM BST
A day spent at a British racing course must be one of the most expensive days out in the horse racing world.
Report The Pies August 19, 2021 10:43 PM BST
I'm paying my first and probably last visit to Perth in Sept and it's £25 for a card of class 4 & 5 races
Report brians August 19, 2021 10:46 PM BST
I went to Pontefract , senior citizens price £4. Grandstand, Cafe , tote , bookies etc. Is this the cheapest  in the U.K ?
There was also a listed race with Aiden O Brien and Mrs Harrington with runners !
Report ribero1 August 19, 2021 11:50 PM BST
4 day Tatts badge £100.
Report jimnast August 20, 2021 6:52 AM BST
whats the point in having money if you dont want to spend it ?
Report jimnast August 20, 2021 6:56 AM BST
gimcrack restaurant £36.50 for a 3 course lunch a good choice including 28 day matured roast sirloin,rump of lamb and a seafood collection terrific value.
Report chewy11 August 20, 2021 7:58 AM BST
I'm going to Carlisle on Thursday, £95 3 course lunch, afternoon tea & a table for the day.
Report jimnast August 20, 2021 8:06 AM BST
what a way to spend an afternoon chewy enjoyHappy
Report sparrow August 20, 2021 8:16 AM BST
jimnast 20 Aug 21 05:52 
whats the point in having money if you dont want to spend it ?

I'm sure everyone with nowhere near as much would agree with you.
Report REGIT August 20, 2021 9:14 AM BST
Wasn’t criticising York,been going for 46 years and it’s easily my fav racecourse.Probably give ladies day a miss in the future.
The thing that stood out most was the change in alcohol policy.For ages you couldn’t take it out of certain areas now it’s everywhere.Understand York have had to move with the times due to decline in interest ( music festivals etc) but most people don’t even pretend to be interested in the horse racing.
Posted to help people going for just the day.I thought there would be a bid queue but straight in.
Report snowynoon August 20, 2021 10:20 AM BST
Thanks REGIT ,an interesting summary of your days costs .
Report snowynoon August 20, 2021 10:21 AM BST
Thanks REGIT an interesting summary of your day and the cost of things ,appreciated.
Report SlippyBlue August 20, 2021 1:31 PM BST
Sandown on Sunday,  £59 for the carvery and a table over looking the winning line. It is what it is I suppose.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves August 20, 2021 1:36 PM BST
I wonder which racecourse will be the first to dispense with the expense and bother of putting on any races. Just broadcast the away meetings on the big screen, together with commentary and bookies in the Ring, and see whether anyone notices.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves August 20, 2021 1:38 PM BST
I wonder which racecourse will be the first to dispense with the bother of putting on any actual races. Just broadcast the aways on the big screen, together with commentary and the bookmakers offering odds, and see whether anyone cares or notices.
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 August 20, 2021 1:43 PM BST
18th Sept going on a stable tour then on to Catterick for the first time in 30 years.

£15 for paddock/grandstand, extra £45 for 3 course meal! Sample menu looks rank so will find a pub somewhere.
Report workrider August 20, 2021 2:39 PM BST
Different , I love Catterick for some strange reason , but I think your choice of pub rather than the course is the correct one...
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 August 20, 2021 3:01 PM BST
Lets hope so!
Report JJmbe August 20, 2021 3:13 PM BST
Regit, sounds reasonable those prices compared to Glorious Goodwood, this was verging on the ridiculous wife paid £9 for a vodka and coke our tickets were £150 for entry the day out must of cost me nearly £400 before i had a bet, certainly puts the pressure on when looking for a winner.
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 August 20, 2021 3:18 PM BST
Just looked it up, last time I was there was Nov 28th 1988. I had been told a R. Lee novice chaser had been primed for a big run, spent all morning visiting Mick Dines shops all over Lancashire having fivers and tenners e/w at 33s and 25s. They were one of only a few that offered early prices back then, got to the course and had whatever I had left on it. It won by 25L,  after having about 6-7 unplaced runs over hurdles the previous season.

Happy days!
Report jimnast August 21, 2021 6:27 AM BST
different gravy

to the best of my knowledge there is only one pub in catterick, the one opposite the racecourse the bridge which would have been open on your last visit in 88 has been boarded up for many many years now.

you will find plenty of pubs in richmond around 10 minutes away where in normal times a courtesy bus is provided to take people racing however due to covid that service has been suspended.

there is a good village pub just by scotch corner cant remember its name but if you come of as if you are going to the service station then drive past the services on your left keep going around 1/2 mile and its there on the left ,both the food and ale are good.

on the other side of the roundabout on the a66 50 yards past the hotel just set back is another pub ,i have no idea how it survives its so quiet however the food is very good especially the garlic bread ,he does it the old fashion way not like the crap most places serve nowadays,

wednesday is ladies day at catterick so i would imagine richmond will be busy.

mick dines theres a name from the past

enjoy your days racing catterick has improved hugely in recent years,yet has still managed to keep some of its character.
Report jimnast August 21, 2021 6:30 AM BST
sorry the pub past the services is on the right not the left.
Report jimnast August 21, 2021 6:35 AM BST
screaming

thats already happened newbury did it a few times during the pandemic and around 10 years ago leicesters meeting on eclipse day was abandoned on the wednesday but all tickets holders were notified that there will still be plenty going on so please come there will be racing on the big screen and bookmakers will be there plus live music etc.
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 August 21, 2021 7:23 AM BST
Thanks Jimnast, I don't know any of the places and roads you mention. I am driving from the Wirral to Catterick(140m) via Sam England's stable, so will be looking for somewhere back down the A1 after racing. The horse was called Swardean and went on to win a novice chase at the Grand National meeting.

I ended up working as a Saturday settler for Mick dines for a few months which included the day Frankie had 7 winners! A queue of oap's as soon as the last one won all wanting payment, there was nearly a riot when we ran out of money.
Report jimnast August 21, 2021 7:59 AM BST
i remember swardean gordon richards pretty sure it was the thursday of aintree he won the novice chase i remember pricing the race up earlier in the week and got his price totally wrong put him in around 20/1 ,i think he ended up a bit quirky and caused problems before the start of races.

there is a pub in wetherby called the mews which serves really good ales and a good selection of gins its different but good and the food is decent,its not the easiest to find even though its in the town centre,also garforth has a really good italian,the new service station on the a1/m1 called leeds services is different class to any other services its has pizza express,nandos,and an italian plus a farm food type shop,i called in for an ice cream last night it also has a small wine bar next to the italian with a balcony if the weather is nice.

i dont think they have saturday settlers any more i very much doubt many people could work out union jacks round robins and equally divided doubles and trebles.
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 August 21, 2021 9:37 AM BST
Yes it was the Thursday, I watch the race on youtube every so often. It was very headstrong and usually bolted before the start, at Catterick it jumped a fence on the way to the start!

I needed that little machine for the round robins!
Report Deptford August 21, 2021 10:01 AM BST
Went York on the Friday every year up to the troubles,had a great time every year, no feeling of being ripped off like ascot and Goodwood.
Report know all August 21, 2021 11:54 AM BST
went yesterday £70 in x 2 - bottle of VEUVE CLICQUOT CHAMPERS £65 12 pints of amstel £5.20 a pint, was in the VEUVE CLICQUOT area exellent band between races,  gyros wrap takeway 7.95 x 2 was excellent, coffee £3.50 x2 rock band on after racing was great that finished at about 6-45 then hopped on bus back to train station £3 x2 jumped off in town went for great meal food and beer £55  the went to popworld disco bar at 9 she likes a dance caught train 2 train fares £20 x2 , luckily had a decent bet on hannons winner 7/2 and had a 2 in the flying gingers race course and distance winners had a £20 ew on each tote paid 40/1 so just paid the day and a bit of profit but a fantastic great day
Report Ibrahima Sonko August 21, 2021 11:58 AM BST
Need a 40/1 winner to just be in profit. Plain
Report sageform August 21, 2021 12:03 PM BST
Interesting idea screaming, it works in the USA. They don't have online betting exchanges though! Not sure I would drive 20 miles to Wincanton today when I have Betfair, RTV, Sky racing and even ITV if I want a change.
Report 1st time poster August 21, 2021 12:11 PM BST
she likes a dance least of your foooking problems seems to drink and eat like an irish foooking navy LaughLaughLaugh,
expensive date
Report Manoleeds August 21, 2021 12:16 PM BST

Aug 21, 2021 -- 7:59AM, jimnast wrote:

i remember swardean gordon richards pretty sure it was the thursday of aintree he won the novice chase i remember pricing the race up earlier in the week and got his price totally wrong put him in around 20/1 ,i think he ended up a bit quirky and caused problems before the start of races.there is a pub in wetherby called the mews which serves really good ales and a good selection of gins its different but good and the food is decent,its not the easiest to find even though its in the town centre,also garforth has a really good italian,the new service station on the a1/m1 called leeds services is different class to any other services its has pizza express,nandos,and an italian plus a farm food type shop,i called in for an ice cream last night it also has a small wine bar next to the italian with a balcony if the weather is nice.i dont think they have saturday settlers any more i very much doubt many people could work out union jacks round robins and equally divided doubles and trebles.

The Red Lion in Wetherby which used to show both racing channels and have copies of Fred's racecards is shut and looking for new tenants Sad.

Report workrider August 21, 2021 12:17 PM BST
Or a English Gypsy ....Laugh
Report know all August 21, 2021 12:21 PM BST
lol, i did find it strange at first that she liked pints and i liked champers, they are a very expensive to take with you, and dont mention about the cost of the new dress and hat lol
Report 1st time poster August 21, 2021 12:24 PM BST
indeed workrider
didnt mind taking a girl for a meal who liked to put a few away,it was a cheap lesson learned the trick is not to marry or see them again, LaughLaughLaugh
Report workrider August 21, 2021 12:28 PM BST
So SHE drank the 12 pints ffs...I thought it was you mate, some Woman for one Woman..Laugh
Report 1st time poster August 21, 2021 12:29 PM BST
i assume 6 each and share the shampoo
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 August 21, 2021 12:32 PM BST
I think I remember her arm wrestling on Indoor League!
Report sludge August 21, 2021 1:09 PM BST
1st Time Poster......your comments have made me chuckle.
Report 1st time poster August 21, 2021 1:19 PM BST
yes gravy think she beat freddie trueman over 3 legs,best of 3
Report ashleigh August 21, 2021 1:33 PM BST
football crowd in today.
Report chewy11 August 21, 2021 1:37 PM BST
Mick Dines in Chorley was probably the first bookies I ever went in. They had a hand written sign stuck under the TV which said something like,  Due to unscrupulous behaviour by strangers no Dog bets over £20 will be accepted when the hare is running
Report dave d August 23, 2021 10:43 AM BST
working at catterick and the recent changes have been a vast improvement ..this wednesday is ladies day will not be rammed just decent people having a decent day out in the forecast good weather .... and without being ripped off ExcitedExcitedCool
Report dave d August 23, 2021 10:54 AM BST
was nice to see ya on the rails thursday regit ,best wishes
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com