Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
workrider
16 Aug 21 21:39
| Topic/replies: 31,411 | Blogger: workrider's blog
I'm hoping to go racing next month visiting these race courses Redcar Kelso Thirsk Wolves . I was thinking of basing myself in Stockton on Tees I'm hoping those in the know could advise me if that's the best  starting spot .
Pause Switch to Standard View Looking for advice from the forum's...
Show More
Report smirnoff2therescue August 16, 2021 10:45 PM BST
are they the order workrider? - done em all and Kelso by far the best course imo - you will probs need at least two resting joints along ya route and stockton-redcar is a canny hike tbh
Report workrider August 16, 2021 10:50 PM BST
Thirsk Mon Red Tues Kelso Wed Ponte Thurs and Wolves on the Sat on my way home ..Have done them all bar Red and Wolves . My starting point is from Holyhead Ferry..
Report RothmanMike August 16, 2021 10:52 PM BST
Wolverhampton best on a dark Saturday evening, then pop a mile down the road for the last 6 races at Monmore Green.
Report workrider August 16, 2021 10:55 PM BST
Just might do that Mike thanks for the tip , I didn't know Monmore was in Wolverhampton if I have a few bob left I'll be there..
Report smirnoff2therescue August 16, 2021 10:56 PM BST
Thirsk - Redcar about 30 miles apart but Redcar closer to Kelso and easy access once you hit A1  assuming ya driving or if ya pick up the a68 then ya will love the countryside views - can pick it up from Darlington area - from Kelso its all back down South so its your choice wiv them
Report workrider August 16, 2021 10:59 PM BST
Yes Smirnoff, I've stayed in Thirsk before heading to Sedgefield , was just asking if Stockton on Tees was a good  starting base .
Report workrider August 16, 2021 11:01 PM BST
Or would Middlebrough be a better base..
Report the numbers seven August 16, 2021 11:02 PM BST
Don't be tempted by the disco after racing at Wolves on a Saturday WR, its a bit scary! Good luck with your weeks racing and keep us posted on your success or not. If there is anything I fancy on each day I will post it and you can have a look.
Report smirnoff2therescue August 16, 2021 11:06 PM BST
if Redcar was an afternoon meeting i wud just travel upto the borders - depending which road ya took theirs some gr8 b and b's closeby - a1 stop off at the Castle right by railway station in Berwick - bit pricy but nice but plenty others to choose from  - a68 route too many to mention in and around Jedburgh - wudnt stop in smoggy land if ya paid me LaughLaughLaugh
Report RothmanMike August 16, 2021 11:08 PM BST
Anywhere on the A1 around Catterick is pivotable.
Report smirnoff2therescue August 16, 2021 11:10 PM BST
i agree Rothman - a1 or a68 but latter much more scenic and a lot quieter traffic wise

Catterick anutha gr8 course by the way
Report RothmanMike August 16, 2021 11:19 PM BST
If you’ve got time, turn left at Scotch Corner through Bernard Castle, Appleby, to Penrith & Carlisle is beautiful.
But farther north,  turn left at Newcastle on the Carlisle road and you hit Gods Own Country, commonly known as Hexham.Grin
Report workrider August 16, 2021 11:23 PM BST
Anyone stay in Middlesbrough Premier Inn (Cooks Hospital)
Report workrider August 16, 2021 11:24 PM BST
Agree Mike my last visit to Hexham was 1991...Stunning Countryside..
Report smirnoff2therescue August 16, 2021 11:32 PM BST
i live 17 miles away from Hexham but can get to track in about 25 mins tekking different roads to where the sat nav might tekk ya and i approach from the top of the hill WinkWinkWink - i also know many of the roads ya mention and for many years on the annual boys trekk down to Blackpool we always travelled to Scotch Corner b4 doing a right hand turn and blasting off down the a66 - latterly though we found a massive short cut and a fish shop to die for namely in  middleton in teesdale via stanhope - after indulging in fish n chips as you look at chippy tekk the next left hand side road which curves right  - road brings you out at Brough cutting off some 18 miles and probs 45 mins time off journey you suggested Rothman  straight into Kirby Stephen
Report 11kv August 17, 2021 6:25 AM BST
Like an AA Patrolman convention.  Devil
Report slickster August 17, 2021 8:43 AM BST
More fables from wonky's diaries. When did Pontefract get in on the act? Did he Forget? Guy belongs on daytime tv.
Report ronnie rails August 17, 2021 9:06 AM BST
Workrider.

to be totally honest i would  not stop in Stockton, try Yarm only a few miles away a lovely little town.
to tell you the honest truth Darlo is getting done up a lot and not a bad place to be based if you stick to the right areas.
the above is just my view,  where ever you decide to stay have a good time.

regards

Ronnie.
Report scrabbler August 17, 2021 10:29 AM BST
Watch out for the traffic system in Kelso.
Report foxy August 17, 2021 11:19 AM BST
Nothing wrong with Middlesbrough nowadays workrider big improvements from what it was .

As Smirnoff says Kelso by far the best racecourse on your trip.
Report barstool August 17, 2021 11:22 AM BST
Sounds like a nice trip.

Redcar, I Spent a lot of time working at the former Steel works and tbh because of its Industrial history, the area has become a little bit poor and neglected. If you have the time to travel, stay north of Newcastle city center, Gosforth area ok. Better still travel a bit further on to Rothbury or Alnwick. Then enjoy the drive up the A697 through the Cheviot hills region up to Coldstream and on to Kelso the next day. The racecourse is one of my favourites, though they have moved the paddock area since I was there and I don't know what impact, if any, this has had. Stay there a couple of nights then drive south to Ponte. My ranking of the tracks would be Perth, Ponte, Wolver, Redcar. Enjoy.
Report workrider August 17, 2021 11:22 AM BST
Thanks Ronnie , Darlington fully booked for the week I need , do you know anything about Wolviston /Wynyard  .
Report workrider August 17, 2021 11:28 AM BST
Thanks Foxy and Barstool , I drove from Durham to Kelso and everytime I meet Foxy I tell him I'll do that drive again ,simply stunning . Prices have gone true  the roof over there , we rented a house for a week in Donegal last week and paid e1,200 for the privilege...Crazy money it seems everyone is jumping on the band wagon..
Report workrider August 17, 2021 11:31 AM BST
Foxy that  Middlesbrough James Cook Hospital Premier Inn any info on it tia.
Report ronnie rails August 17, 2021 11:34 AM BST
Workrider

sad to say dont know much about Wolviston/Wynyard.

have you had a look at bbs in Yarm great place.

cant stop off to get the suits out of the cleaners 3 nights in York awaits cant bloody wait the last ebor meeting seems years ago .

just thinking  about it it was
Ronnie
Report workrider August 17, 2021 11:47 AM BST
Off to Sligo races myself , looked at a couple Ronnie not a lot of choices tbh , I prefer Premier Inns if I'm honest never had a problem in all the years I've used them . Have a wonderful time in York one of my fav Cities in the World , also one of my fav Racetracks . Have a few quid on Sonnyboyliston in the Ebor take care and enjoy your racing...
Report Tugay5 August 17, 2021 11:52 AM BST
Premier inn at Thornaby is decent
Report foxy August 17, 2021 12:21 PM BST
Never stayed there workrider enjoy Sligo decent card by Sligo standards.
Report workrider August 17, 2021 12:36 PM BST
Yes Foxy travelling with you know who, Pump Road should do the business tonight...
Report barstool August 17, 2021 12:55 PM BST
Workrider, Have you cosidered Ayr on the Thursday and Friday as a better option to Ponte? It is a nice racecourse with very good viewing.
Report barstool August 17, 2021 12:55 PM BST
sorry, considered.
Report GLASGOWCALLING August 21, 2021 3:55 PM BST
Well done WR  ... HappyWink
Report workrider August 21, 2021 9:33 PM BST
Thanks Glasgow I think you're the only one that spotted it , I really hope Ronnie had a few quid on...
Report GLASGOWCALLING August 21, 2021 9:43 PM BST
Stuck it in my placepot WR, won about £200 .... Cheers. HappyWink
Report workrider August 21, 2021 9:45 PM BST
Lovely delighted for you...
Report Gordon63 August 22, 2021 9:03 AM BST
Morning workrider - ref your trip, I'd suggest Durham is the nicest town close to the A1, which is a horrible road really only made worthwhile knowing you're going racing!!  Ronnie has recommended Yarm and it's certainly streets ahead of Stockton, Darlington, Middlesborough, my second choice after Durham would be Morpeth but maybe a bit far North in terms of balancing the travel.  ob

There's about 8-10 of us going to Ayr on the Thursday if you decide that's better than Ponte, considering you'll be at evening meeting at Kelso on the Wednesday probably makes sense and the racing at Ayr that week is certainly better than Ponte has at that time.

Let's know what you decide.

Been following Ben Coen for couple of years now, fairly sure he's next champion jockey after Colin Keane - had really nice bet on Create Belief at Royal Ascot, unfortunately only a small saver bet on him yesterday
Report ronnie rails August 22, 2021 9:30 AM BST
workrider and glasgow calling

Sad to say I didn't back him as I don't bet in handicaps, a little bit behind at one point then backed the roses winner to end up infront, the queue to get paid out at Joe Huddlestones joint was one of the biggest I have ever seen it reminded me of signing on day in Darlo, another great Ebor week over, won a bit but spent a lot, roll on next year.

regards Ronnie
Report workrider August 22, 2021 11:16 AM BST
Hi Gordon, a change of dates for me , I have been selected to play to play golf in our Civil Service Championships on the 15th a unexpected call up I can assure you , still I ain't going to turn the chance down . So my new dates are starting on the 29th Bangor staying overnight in Wrexham then its both Hexham and Newcastle on the Fri a afternoon and evening meetings there so should make both .Redcar on the Sat and Kelso on Sun. Staying in Middlesbrough I think. I stayed in a Hotel and Country club in Durham a few years back I think it was called Ramsdale Hall or something like that , I was not impressed hence my love affair with Premier Inns...Making my way up to Dundee and staying for two nights , I have a niece in Arbroth who I'm hoping to visit so we might meet up one of the days it'll be good to see you again my friend..
Report scrabbler August 22, 2021 12:45 PM BST
If you like smoked fish, make sure to get an Arbroath Smokie from one of the places near the harbour.
Report Gordon63 August 22, 2021 2:31 PM BST
Hi Workrider, I'm on first overnight foray in a while that very same weekend, fly to Gatwick Friday then train to Ascot, back to Gatwick for overnight, meeting the second group on Saturday morning, train to Fontwell, then overnight in Arundel and back Sunday afternoon, maybe we can meet up during your Dundee visit or your way back down...you'll definitely make both hexham and newcastle evening meeting although why you'd want to go all weather racing is a different question!! but bangor, hexham and kelso in the same visit is not a bad tricast!! all proper jumps tracks
Report foxy August 22, 2021 3:11 PM BST
Beat me to it scrabbler

Hello workrider what’s the situation over there regarding going racing Wexford two day meeting no tickets on there website same with listowel,the next Wexford meeting it says outdoor event only
Report workrider August 22, 2021 9:39 PM BST
Foxy, Naas today easing of some restrictions no masks needed outdoors but had to wear them indoors , much more relaxed atmosphere today. I was in Wexford a few weeks ago it was ticket only , I think all Irish will be for another while yet . Bellewstown next week is all ticket ,I know Listowel are awaiting Government instructions to see if they can have 1,500 or more currently only 500 allowed , I will try and keep you informed..Gordon we will meet up somewhere don't worry , reason I'm doing the two meetings is Newcastle is one of the tracks I haven't been to as is Redcar  . Only 6 more to do after them...
Report foxy August 23, 2021 7:38 AM BST
Thanks workrider I realise it’s ticket only but on the Wexford website they don’t have any on sale for the two day fixture maybe they are waiting to see if they can get an increase,listowel less than a month away and no tickets on there site either what on Earth are people up to ?
Report workrider August 23, 2021 10:12 AM BST
Foxy,  Both hoping the Government allows them increase capacity , 40,000 allowed into Croke Park for the all Ireland Hurling final yesterday capacity 85,000 , so hopefully they get a better crowd than whats on offer now .I'd say that's why there's no tickets on sale right now...
Report Gordon63 August 24, 2021 12:33 PM BST
workrider, RTV have confirmed their Scottish Pass is back on for September - free entry for all meetings apart from Gold Cup Saturday. So if you're a RTV subscriber you can have free entry to Kelso on 15th and I now have a spare for Ayr on 16th (if you choose over Ponte) as I've already booked for that day. Cheers, tough cards today.  The bumper winner last night must be decent to come so wide all the way round, surely the ground wasn't that much better as it's a narrow enough track.  Nina in the bumper and/or Patrick in the bumper, wonder what the LSP is??
Report workrider August 24, 2021 1:46 PM BST
Gordon changed dates now going from 29th starting in Bangor...Thanks for the information.
Report Life-Lucky August 24, 2021 2:26 PM BST
I stayed in Middlesbrough at Jury's earlier this month when I did Redcar and Thirsk. Redcar is ok not that bad despite the image, the racecourse I found delightful tbh. I'd put it in my top ten of the 50 or so that Ive been to. On paper or a screen its not far between Redcar and Thirsk but its across the North Yorkshire Moors and a good road for views and villages
Report workrider August 24, 2021 2:32 PM BST
Thanks Life-Lucky read and noted...
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com