Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
leif
12 Aug 21 19:25
| Topic/replies: 5,998 | Blogger: leif's blog
A couple have warned of the potential risks of being defrauded online after close to £8,000 was stolen from a number of their betting accounts this month in the space of just a few hours.

As well as suffering the trauma of having money stolen, the couple, who are longstanding owner-breeders and wish to remain anonymous, also expressed frustration at spending multiple hours with bookmakers’ LiveChat operators trying to recover their funds with limited success.

Six bookmakers – bet365, Betfair, BetVictor, Skybet, Paddy Power and William Hill – were targeted by fraudsters after obtaining the couple’s account information with sums of up to £2,500 removed at a time from the online operators last Monday.

The couple, who had built up the totals in their online accounts primarily as the result of good performances from their horses and have reported the crime to Action Fraud, stated that only their William Hill account had not been compromised, while Skybet returned the funds “within 24 hours with no quibbles”.

The couple said no two betting accounts carried the same username or password, and indicated their alarm at the ability of the fraudsters who compromised their accounts to be able to add new bank card details and answer security questions when changing details on the sites.

Explaining what happened, one of them said: “We had a number of emails from betting companies telling us our passwords had been changed. [The fraudsters] changed the email to one that was very similar to ours – a hotmail address instead of aol – and updated the bank card details before withdrawing the money. From two of the accounts they withdrew £100 to our own bank account then sent the rest somewhere else and cleaned us out. 

“Someone had managed to answer our security questions too. Things like ‘mother's maiden name’ or date of birth I suppose can be found, but one of our questions was my wife’s father’s nickname – how did they manage to answer that?”

He added: “We won’t be the only people this has happened to and we wanted to warn people that this can happen.”

A spokeswoman for Flutter Entertainment – the parent company of Paddy Power, Betfair and Skybet – declined to comment on the case but insisted the brands had robust anti-fraud measures in place.

A source familiar with the operators outlined a belief that the couple had been victims of ‘credential stuffing’, a type of cyberattack which steals usernames, passwords and email addresses that can then be used to imitate individuals online, rather than the individual betting accounts being hacked.

The couple confirmed that funds from the majority of bookmakers had now been returned, but felt their initial experience with online customer service agents through LiveChat functions, the initial point of contact for the majority of bookmakers, compounded their frustration and distress at being victims of crime.

“You never speak with the same people on LiveChat so you don’t know what’s being done or being changed,” said one of the couple. “My wife has spent 17-18 hours on LiveChat in the last week and they didn't seem to understand what had happened.

“If we’d have known who we were talking to, if someone could have rung us to begin with and gone through it, it would've helped so much.”
https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/online-punters-warned-after-fraudsters-steal-8000-from-couples-accounts/505354

Been on livechat to the Philippines Cry
Pause Switch to Standard View Online punters warned after...
Show More
Report Rico-Dangleflaps August 12, 2021 9:37 PM BST
plenty being restricted for depositing funds..where you been this yr stewy.
Report stewarty b August 12, 2021 9:40 PM BST
In all honesty Stephen BF have never questioned me about my deposits....or withdrawals for that matter. Mind you I was punting heavyish when I joined. (and losing plenty)
Report Rico-Dangleflaps August 12, 2021 9:42 PM BST
nowt to do with in the past..its present day it happening.
Report stewarty b August 12, 2021 9:48 PM BST
I understand what you are saying Stephen but until they call me to question I'll carry on. In saying that have they ever questioned yourself?
Report sparrow August 12, 2021 9:50 PM BST
Today I had a deposit to betfair from my card debit card blocked by the bank although it turned out to be another company involved. The bank never checked anything with me or even informed me that they had blocked it due to a possible fraudulent transaction. After talking with someone at the bank I was told that it was a third party company responsible for security that had blocked my card and they did not neccesarily inform the customer. By this time I was absolutely fuming and told them that my account was with the bank and nobody else and demanded an apology for not being informed and also refusing to tell me whether anyone else was trying to defraud me. At this moment in time they are offering me £25 which was refused and an official complaint was lodged and another person from the bank will contact me. What times we live in!
Report swiftynifty August 12, 2021 9:53 PM BST
elisjohn, I thought online purchases etc sent the details encrypted , it's the over the phone ones where you give card no. plus 3 digit security no. I worry about.
Report stewarty b August 12, 2021 9:54 PM BST
Unbelievable sparrow. Like yourself I would have told them to stick the £25 where the sun don't shine.
Report leif August 12, 2021 10:04 PM BST
So you request BF to take a payment from your card, BF as the merchant requests your Bank (card issuer) to verify all the security details associated with the card, the transaction is declined and your bank says it's nothing to do with them.

Summat not right there .
Report Rico-Dangleflaps August 12, 2021 10:14 PM BST
ive had no problems but until about 6 weeks ago i rarely deposited...i know plenty who've been restricted to depositing small amounts though or acc closed if cant prove an income.
Report stewarty b August 12, 2021 10:18 PM BST
I'm guessing here but if you only use BF surely no problems depositing?
Report stewarty b August 12, 2021 10:20 PM BST
Or let me put it another way. If BF restricted me to £100 per week my punting days would be over.
Report sparrow August 12, 2021 10:26 PM BST
leif 12 Aug 21 21:04 
So you request BF to take a payment from your card, BF as the merchant requests your Bank (card issuer) to verify all the security details associated with the card, the transaction is declined and your bank says it's nothing to do with them.

Summat not right there .

The bank is saying that the blocking of the card was done by a third party company employed by them for security issues.
Report sparrow August 12, 2021 10:27 PM BST
stewarty b Joined: 02 Aug 02
Replies: 3053912 Aug 21 21:18 
I'm guessing here but if you only use BF surely no problems depositing?

Problem was not with betfair, see above.
Report stewarty b August 12, 2021 10:30 PM BST
I know where you are coming from sparrow but I was just speaking about BF in general.
Report Rico-Dangleflaps August 12, 2021 10:36 PM BST
its bf that are restricting or closing acc's.
Report leif August 12, 2021 10:38 PM BST
I get that Sparrow buy the bank should just be saying your transaction was turned down for not passing all the security measures.  In other words "please try again".

Offering you a pony hush money is disconcerting.
Report stewarty b August 12, 2021 10:49 PM BST
Rico-Dangleflaps
Date Joined: 07 Sep 18
Add contact | Send message
12 Aug 21 21:36Joined: 07 Sep 18 | Topic/replies: 4,533 | Blogger: Rico-Dangleflaps's blog
its bf that are restricting or closing acc's.

For what reason Stephen?
Report sparrow August 12, 2021 10:52 PM BST
leif 12 Aug 21 21:38 
I get that Sparrow buy the bank should just be saying your transaction was turned down for not passing all the security measures.  In other words "please try again".

Offering you a pony hush money is disconcerting.

That was my argument leif in that the bank nor this third party told me that my card was blocked and my view was that they had no right to do this without consulting me first. It was my money and I was the last to know and still have no idea what the security breach was and they didn't have to tell me they said. They offered me the money when I said I wanted to register a complaint about this behaviour.
Report leif August 12, 2021 11:02 PM BST
I believe they are well within their rights not to divulge what the issue was given you could be a swindler and that would inform you as to how to get around it possibly.

I'd just take the pony and count it as a small win to be honest.

Still odd they would offer it considering they are there to protect your interest but heyho!
Report smirnoff2therescue August 12, 2021 11:07 PM BST
isnt a bank account meant to be registered to a certain address - now ive neva been clever enuf to complete the rubix cube but wot am i missing ere ConfusedConfusedConfused
Report Rico-Dangleflaps August 12, 2021 11:11 PM BST
stewarty b 12 Aug 21 21:49 
For what reason Stephen?

gambling commission recommendations..affordability checks.
Report sparrow August 12, 2021 11:12 PM BST
You are missing the crucial point leif and that is that they should have checked security details with me before blocking my card. That is what other banks do when they suspect a breach of security but there again I wouldn't know how many banks now use different companies to look after security matters. If you suspect a breach then you should investigate it not take action and then leave the matter until the victim realises he can't make any transaction and has to contact his bank to ask what is going on.
Report leif August 12, 2021 11:15 PM BST
Doesn't it generally stipulate that if the card isn't registered to the address on the account withdrawals/deposits will be cancelled?

Most bookmakers have that in place smirnoff?
Report leif August 12, 2021 11:18 PM BST
Security checks on your card are done in the background Sparrow.

Transactions can be declined with a message saying please contact your card issuer (or words to that effect)

millions upon millions of transactions getting processed in a day. not enough resources for card issuers to contact everyone that gets a transaction declined.
Report smirnoff2therescue August 12, 2021 11:22 PM BST
Thats wot im getting at leif - card has to be registered to address thats one of security checks - so assuming they get round that how do they pull off legs 2-3-4 - gotta be an easy out if  and i mean if its possible to be defrauded like is being suggested
Report Facts August 12, 2021 11:23 PM BST
Repeat what I stated on another thread , withdraw any winnings immediately.
Report Rico-Dangleflaps August 12, 2021 11:24 PM BST
thats ok on bf facts,until you start depositing.
Report stewarty b August 12, 2021 11:31 PM BST
Rico-Dangleflaps12 Aug 21 22:11Joined: 07 Sep 18 | Topic/replies: 4,536 | Blogger: Rico-Dangleflaps's blog
stewarty b 12 Aug 21 21:49
For what reason Stephen?

gambling commission recommendations..affordability checks.

I have heard about this but having given BF a helluva lot of business over the years they surely wouldn't ask me for an affordability check given the amounts I have staked?
Report smirnoff2therescue August 12, 2021 11:31 PM BST
this will be the latest where theres blame theres a claim rip off in years to come

Allowed to deposit wot ya liked pre 2021 - only allowed £100 per mth from 2021 onwards LaughLaughLaugh
Report smirnoff2therescue August 12, 2021 11:33 PM BST
the two geordies are donuts stewy - go and win a coconut ffs CryCryLaughLaugh
Report leif August 12, 2021 11:33 PM BST
they changed email addresses, appear to have made #test withdrawals to the client account (piss-take there lol) before adding new card details (but what registered address have they then used).

mind boggles but I expect the racehorse owners will have already been pledged their money back and a nice brucie-bonus to keep shtumm no doubt.

agree with rico.

your balance accounts for your means of funding bets going forward but if you make multiple 'lumpy' deposits having withdrawn said current balance it is inevitable the dreaded KYC process will kick in. That's where the ball-ache is.
Report Rico-Dangleflaps August 12, 2021 11:39 PM BST
you need to have a justifiable income stewy to satisfy their checks,savings doesnt count.
Report stewarty b August 12, 2021 11:46 PM BST
As it stands Stephen I have had no request for a check but I'm fairly confident I could give them a justifiable income.
Report stewarty b August 12, 2021 11:50 PM BST
Let me put it another way. How many forumites have been asked for an affordability check? (percentage wise) I know of very few.
Report stewarty b August 12, 2021 11:58 PM BST
One last thought. If BF restrict all their customers to 100 per month there will be no BF. It would be IMPOSSIBLE .
Report Rico-Dangleflaps August 13, 2021 12:14 AM BST
they dont care..and i know plenty who have won plenty and have accounts closed for refusing their requests for bank statements.
Report smirnoff2therescue August 13, 2021 12:21 AM BST
he wont respond to this but stewy needs a lumpa putting into his acc otherwise its a ton a mth

jim kerr Glsgow Celtic LaughLaughLaugh

ps my persuasion is Rangers b4 ya ko Stewy LaughLaughLaugh
Report stewarty b August 13, 2021 12:22 AM BST
So, hypothetically speaking, if I owned 10 properties with an income of 7k per month then I could deposit whatever I like?
Report smirnoff2therescue August 13, 2021 12:23 AM BST
ooops missed the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyqYQ3GVpJE

LaughLaughLaugh
ooops missed the link

LaughLaughLaugh
ooops missed the link

LaughLaughLaugh
Report Rico-Dangleflaps August 13, 2021 12:28 AM BST
Report stewarty b August 13, 2021 12:30 AM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1V8YRJnr4Q
Report stewarty b August 13, 2021 12:31 AM BST
Stephen, PLEASE try some new patter.
Report Rico-Dangleflaps August 13, 2021 12:37 AM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HsLrDvfloo&ab_channel=AndersFlanderzOneManBand
Report stewarty b August 13, 2021 12:45 AM BST
I said NEW patter Stephen.
Report Rico-Dangleflaps August 13, 2021 12:48 AM BST
im a retro type of guy.
Report stewarty b August 13, 2021 12:49 AM BST
Do you have a coffee table?
Report Brian August 13, 2021 9:26 AM BST
There are so many different threads in this one thread, my brain is hurting.

On the original post about fraudsters, it seems to me that for their method to work there can be no address check when paying back on to card or account.
Report Facts August 13, 2021 9:47 AM BST
Rico-Dangleflaps 12 Aug 21 23:14 
they dont care..and i know plenty who have won plenty and have accounts closed for refusing their requests for bank statements.

Can you explain please. As I don't get it. We're not talking about credit betting here. You can bet what you have in the Betfair account surely. Why would BF not want deposits to be made ?
Report longbridge August 13, 2021 10:35 AM BST
@Facts

"Why would BF not want deposits to be made ?"

Because if they do not know the source of those funds they risk being done for either or both of:

- falling short of their Anti Money Laundering ("AML") responsibilities

- falling short of their Responsible Gambling duties
Report lead on August 13, 2021 10:38 AM BST
I think it's to avoid falling foul of the Affordability Checks,Facts....Rico and Smirnoff gave a better explanation than I can previously in the thread
Report lead on August 13, 2021 10:40 AM BST
sorry,longbridge...posting just after yours
Report Facts August 13, 2021 10:41 AM BST
Thanks
Report Storm Alert August 13, 2021 10:47 AM BST
This is somewhat alarming. I always thought there was a check with debit cards that they were registered to my correct home address.

So in order to withdraw from an online bookmaker the account would need to be logged in with my user name and password and the account would need a registered debit card (registered to my home address). Also deposits into my bookmakers account using a payment method, would need to withdraw funds back to that payment method i.e. can't choose an alternative method such as bank transfer.

I've always though the biggest risk was not somebody withdrawing my money but rather somebody gaining access to my account and then doing stupid matched losing bets on the exchange. It has made me realise that apart from not using the smae password probably not a good idea to use the same username (esp an email address as a username).
Report impossible123 August 13, 2021 12:22 PM BST
Clearly an inside job or weak account management by entities concerned. Someone within the entities feeding privileged info to the scumbags.
Report Facts August 13, 2021 12:47 PM BST
That makes the most sense imo.
Report Ramruma August 13, 2021 1:06 PM BST
@Facts & @impossible123 -- It could be an inside job but there is no real evidence of it. The only suggestion is that someone knew the wife's father's nickname but we do not know if that is true or if it was guessable or easy to discover. It might not be true because even if it was one of their security questions, it might not have been the one (or two) that was asked.

As @dave1357 and @screaming from beneaththewaves suggested earlier in this thread, the most likely mechanism is the hackers gained control of the victim's email account and then used the bookies' forgotten password procedures.

Try the forgotten password link on one of your own accounts -- chances are the bookie (or any website) will send you an email with a link to reset your password. That's why it is your email account you need to take most care of.

So how did the baddies get control of the victims' email account? Probably by "credential stuffing" which is mentioned in the Post's article. Credential stuffing is the automated bombardment of sites with prepared password lists until one is successful. That is also why you should never use the same password for different sites -- if one site is hacked, baddies will quickly try the same username & password combination against hundreds of other sites.
Report impossible123 August 13, 2021 2:11 PM BST
Anything out of the ordinary eg unusual (large) withdrawal ought to have been flagged up and a call to punter instigated prior to authorisation/finalisation similar to credit card providers calling up customers prior to unusual (expensive) purchases to confirm id and authorisation; "funds may take up to 5 days" prior to showing up in one's account. Why can bookies not use this time diligently? Professional carelessness or plain do not care? It's got to be one or the other.

I think the bookies like to talk the talk, not walk the walk.
Report The Management August 13, 2021 2:25 PM BST
As longbridge has pointed out already - everybody should surely be using 2 step authentication.

The potential problem with that as I see it, is that it's basically an app on a mobile phone and most mobile phones (for security) have either fingerprint or facial recognition theses day. So if you operate with a large balance and something untoward happens to you unexpectedly, I'm guessing Betfair would cop for your whole balance eventually unless you have left very detailed instructions for your nearest and dearest - and I suspect that for various reasons many customers would be reluctant to share their betting specifics with their nearest and dearest!

I'd imagine in most cases - if hit by a bus tomorrow, folk would have no idea what would happen to their balance.
Report Rico-Dangleflaps August 13, 2021 2:26 PM BST
the chances of guessing a nickname is billions/1
Report impossible123 August 13, 2021 2:32 PM BST
Mobile is so much less safer than laptop esp one not surfing Youtube (for videos) or other spurious websites. I only use laptop as my mobile is not connected to the internet; free wifi in public areas eg cafes/restaurants, etc, are dodging as hell.
Report Ramruma August 13, 2021 2:50 PM BST
@impossible123 -- define "large" withdrawal. These particular victims lost £8,000 spread over several accounts.

@Rico-Dangleflaps -- re impossible to guess nicknames. What is Frankie Dettori's wife's father's nickname? Even if you do not already know, you could google it in seconds. But it might not matter anyway. If you set, say, five security questions, chances are most sites will only ask you one or two of them on any particular occasion.
Report impossible123 August 13, 2021 3:02 PM BST
Anything £500/£1000 plus esp those accounts with little activity dormant suddenly activated for a larger than normal bet or withdrawal request. A mobile/landline call could placate any misgiving or possible fraud. This is not rocket science.
Report Wesdag August 13, 2021 3:32 PM BST
To get into my NatWest account, I have to remember 3 codes/passwords plus sometimes they also text a random 6 digit code which has to be entered as well.

Why anyone would have a BF account with just 1 simple password to gain access is mind boggling. 2 step authentication is a must.
Report impossible123 August 13, 2021 3:34 PM BST
Indeed. Or leave £0 in the account overnight. Issue solved (QED).
Report dave1357 August 13, 2021 4:06 PM BST
^as has been said numerous times, you are going to be asked for source of funds/affordability if you keep withdrawing and depositing substantial funds.
Report Rico-Dangleflaps August 13, 2021 4:08 PM BST

Why anyone would have a BF account with just 1 simple password to gain access is mind boggling.

i do.
Report sparrow August 13, 2021 4:09 PM BST
Find that very surprising, rico.
Report Wesdag August 13, 2021 4:17 PM BST
For someone who hates gambling, that's a big risk you're taking.
Report Rico-Dangleflaps August 13, 2021 4:17 PM BST
Excited
Report Rico-Dangleflaps August 13, 2021 4:18 PM BST
my password is in chinese..was told safest way.
Report bettinghelp August 13, 2021 4:20 PM BST
Safer gambling: Continued investment in resource and technology to optimise our controls
— Advanced development of Affordability Triple Step in UK&I, with next phase of rollout in H2
— Stepped up Group wide campaigns to promote safer gambling awareness and tools

That's from the results announcement this week. I know of numerous people who have had deposits heavily restricted because they can't provide proof of regular income. Saying you've made thousands on here, withdrawn, and then want to re-deposit carries no weight. And clearly they're stepping it up, not down.
Report Rico-Dangleflaps August 13, 2021 4:29 PM BST
correct.
Report sparrow August 13, 2021 4:32 PM BST
I would like to know the percentage of punters that have so far been subjected to these checks.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves August 13, 2021 4:41 PM BST
Doesn't matter if it's 0.1%. If you're one of the thousand who make up that 0.1% you're screwed for ever. And if you rely on gambling for a living, you're totally screwed for ever.
Report sparrow August 13, 2021 4:53 PM BST
I was also thinking of the future screaming as people are saying this is just the beginning and that it will get much worse.
Report Ramruma August 13, 2021 4:55 PM BST
Fwiw, I've been subjected to checks by two firms. One was more intrusive than the other. No names, no pack drill.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves August 13, 2021 5:06 PM BST
sparrow: I think it's fair to say freedom to gamble (and freedom in general) aren't going to be the priority going forward. Remember, these people have no doubts we are in need of their protection.

Report Rico-Dangleflaps August 13, 2021 5:23 PM BST
i know 6-7 just around my circle that have had acc's closed or restricted.
Report Ramruma August 13, 2021 5:27 PM BST
@screaming from beneaththewaves -- good photo of a Labour MP but iirc the Tories have been running the show for more than a decade now. It was under Labour that gambling exploded in this country, for good or ill.
Report Wesdag August 13, 2021 5:30 PM BST
Not a party issue - there's many meddlers on all sides.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves August 13, 2021 5:32 PM BST
I agree with wesdag.

Two sides of the same piece of sh**.
Report sparrow August 13, 2021 5:33 PM BST
Correct wesdag.
Report thurnscoe thunder August 13, 2021 5:48 PM BST
I know 2 people who have been restricted, but on both occasions all was probably not what it seemed.
One was laying bets for clients and over a particular week, a fairly chunky loss of around 5 digits occurred and then he tried to deposit more, and it was flagged.
I believe it was a losing account which is volatile due to this type of activity they were asked for proof of income or where funds were coming from, obviously thats was an issue, ie the paper trail
The other has made in excess of 6 figures, but in a short period of time, and they wanted to know where initial funds came from etc, so im sure they were within their rights to ask whether it be premium charge dodging or laundering money.

Im yet to see or hear of anyone who has been restricted, who is still using a long term account which makes it undeniably their own initial one and also anyone who is currently paying higher rate Premium charge.

The accounts i generally hear about are possible premium charge avoiders who cant provide proof of where the initial funds came from, losing accounts or extremely volatile accounts especially where funds are drawn out and deposited frequently, on the latter two they presume themselves to have a duty of care to both themselves and their clients.
However on the avoidance of Premium Charge i think theyve finally found their solution to people who set up new accounts or take over losing accounts which then start making major profits.
Report thurnscoe thunder August 13, 2021 5:52 PM BST
Best way to avoid imo would be 2 step to protect the funds you have in Betfair and leave more than you need in which hopefully covers your ups and downs so you arent constantly withdrawing or depositing which effectively proves youre not a major risk on any front
Report thurnscoe thunder August 13, 2021 5:58 PM BST
Of course thats not to say its not a wider net at the minute than i believe or that it wont be extended
Report Ramruma August 13, 2021 6:08 PM BST
There is political pressure to stop problem gamblers, and in addition, the Gambling Commission has been dishing out multi-million pound fines.
Report DOUBLED August 13, 2021 6:25 PM BST
Stop problem gamblers by forcing them to leave plenty money in their account just in case they go on a bad run LaughCrazy
Report thurnscoe thunder August 13, 2021 6:32 PM BST
Im not talking to the problem gamblers, im talking to the punters who do it for a living and are worried about what may be happening.
Report thurnscoe thunder August 13, 2021 6:34 PM BST
Doubt problem gamblers have the funds to spare to leave in an account, and gamble whatever they have away and deposit when they get more.
As such Betfair have the infrastructure in place to know who they are in the first place and i would imagine they are pretty much restricted by now or bombarded with emails
Report impossible123 August 13, 2021 7:58 PM BST
Problem gambling is facilitated by the greed of bookies. The bookies knowingly and willingly allow it to happen. If they have been monitoring or policing the way they ought to have then problem gambling is history.

The proliferation of fobt in the shops (and online), and non-sporting events online have exacerbated the problem gambling. No prize for guessing which entities are to blame.
Report Ramruma August 23, 2021 8:29 AM BST
Good news: according to the Post's Front Runner email for Friday (sent Monday!!) the couple have now got all their money back.

Bad news: the Post has found another victim who lost £1,740 from Paddy Power. His Skybet and Betfair accounts were also attacked but were empty. Common factor: all owned by Flutter.

A new twist: in this chap's empty account, the bad guys uploaded from his existing card and placed some bets. All lost but if they'd won, no doubt the card would have been changed before withdrawal.

So emptying your account each night is not foolproof. The baddies can simply make new deposits from your card.
Report dave1357 August 23, 2021 9:12 AM BST
they would need to know the three digit number?
Report sparrow August 23, 2021 10:07 AM BST
leif 12 Aug 21 22:02 
I believe they are well within their rights not to divulge what the issue was given you could be a swindler and that would inform you as to how to get around it possibly.

I'd just take the pony and count it as a small win to be honest.

Still odd they would offer it considering they are there to protect your interest but heyho!

Never mind your "heyho" for whatever that means but I have now settled for £70 compensation.
Report Ramruma August 23, 2021 10:10 AM BST
Good point re 3-digit number @dave1357 so it might be a semi-inside job but CVV (card verification value) numbers are not foolproof.

https://blog.avast.com/how-hackers-get-our-cvv-numbers

If we trace the attack back and assume it is not someone close to the victim who can simply look at the card, it probably started (and this is the bookie's guess too but of course they would say that wouldn't they because the alternative is the bookies' systems were hacked) with a credential-stuffing attack on the victim's email account. It may well be the cvv was part of the original leak.

Something to try on your missus. Get a mate to phone her up and say "I'm from XXX bank. We have seen suspicious activity on your account. Can you tell me the three-digit number please?" Don't actually try it of course but I reckon a fair few forumites would fall for it, especially on a hot day (when a refreshing cold drink might have been taken).
Report Ramruma August 23, 2021 10:13 AM BST
Or the baddies could just guess a number. They've probably got three attempts and there is no downside to them if your card gets locked out.
Report BARROWBOY August 23, 2021 11:01 AM BST
If they can guess a random 3 digit number in 3 attempts then good luck to them !
Report dave1357 August 23, 2021 1:51 PM BST
Has anyone ever had a code sent to their phone when depositing on a gambling site? I've never had which makes me suspect they have a special arrangement so that ppl can easily deposit.
Report impossible123 August 23, 2021 7:43 PM BST
Do not trust online bookies, end-of!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com