Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Movewiththetimes
07 Aug 21 23:12
| Topic/replies: 3,357 | Blogger: Movewiththetimes's blog
For me 12 years old never had a bet in my life, didn't know what racing was all about, hung around with kids 5 years older than me and one day we went into a bookies. Smokey dens in those days with the old boys wearing caps and a roll up hanging out their lips, with a small pencil in their fingers scrolling over the race cards in the sun pointing out this is the sun top rated!!

This was the day my life changed! Listened to the old man with the flat cap saying this is the winner. I looked at the odds it was 14/1, it meant nothing to me. I scrambled a betting slip which must of looked the most woeful sight but nobody said a word. I wrote out my bet on the slip £2 win so nervous it was a scribble but somehow the cashier accepted it.

I went to a corner where nobody wanted to sit and watched the race, it won easy 2 lengths at least, the rest is history.

I've loved the game ever since.
Pause Switch to Standard View Turn a different corner would you...
Show More
Report layemall August 8, 2021 12:45 AM BST
An interesting question....my dad took me racing when I was in my pram.....got the betting bug properly when I started betting my pocket money and had some success....was captivated by the horses and colours and the whole shebang well before that though......for sure I would be sooooo much better off if I had had a different dad as have never been able to make it pay long term.....but like you, I absolutely love the game and would do it all again, but perhaps to smaller stakes!!
Report layemall August 8, 2021 12:56 AM BST
Btw....am staying up to watch Laura Kenny and her lovely quote from the other day "I'll just keep turning up and see what happens" sprung to mind on this topic!Grin
Report Ramruma August 8, 2021 5:44 AM BST
I was meeting someone in town when it started raining so I ducked into a betting shop to keep dry. The rest is history, or rather tragicomedy.
Report Lee Ho Fooks August 8, 2021 8:23 AM BST
At 4.30 every day, blunt pencil and copy of Daily Mirror at the ready, my auntie used to mark off the day's winners when the racing results were announced on the radio. My uncle used to come home from work & the first thing he would do would be to call the runners in his round robin out to my auntie and she would usually give him the outcome (lostSad). One day he did a little jig when he checked the third of his selections, Sparrow Pie. Isn't it funny how you remember the (not so) irrelevant things in your life?

The rest, as they say, is history.
Report Lee Ho Fooks August 8, 2021 8:33 AM BST
I had a Shocked moment when the OP mentioned a £2 stake, mine would have been a "tanner" (2.5p)
Report Stark August 8, 2021 8:34 AM BST
Took an interest in the early 70s as a small boy, if you didn't want to watch the old western on BBC2 on Saturday afternoons, there was nothing else on. Well and truly got interested in the betting side around '81 after a visit with some mates to a tiny independent in a village. Extel commentaries, thick fog of **** and pipe smoke, intriguing lines of numbers and letters before and after the horses' names. Bought Clive Holt's first offering (The Red Wizard), moved on to Raceform Notebook when funds allowed, the rest as they say, was history. Still use Fineform ratings today to compile my shortlists, but only on certain races. They still stand the test of time after all these years.
Report TINnotaTON August 8, 2021 8:53 AM BST
First bet at 12 in 1978 after my dad took me to haydock for the first time a few days earlier and saw some great horses flat and jumps run there including my favourite SEE YOU THEN over the years. A 10p round robin and 3 winners ( still have the races that i cut out from the daily mirror, PETE ROCKET, HADI'S HOPE and SVALBARD, 5-4, 4-7 and 5-2. Wouldn't ever change a thing, walking into a bookies was magical back then, just not the same now and same with the old chalk boards on the course with the tickets they handed you when placing a bet. Biggest miss for me, is the absence of the old CEEFAX TELETEXT, sad sad day when that went and the old era of jockeys......AH for the old days Cry
Report sageform August 8, 2021 8:53 AM BST
As a farmer from the Cotswolds, I never really remember not going racing and that included betting as soon as I was old enough. I was apparently taken to the Didmarton PTP aged 11 months and didn't miss a meeting there until I went to Uni. in America 22 years later. My first "proper bet" was when my father and Bill Haine (father of Johnny the jockey) took us to Cheltenham. Johnny and I decided on a forecast bet on the Tote on Lochroe to beat Bob tailed 'un (the last horse to race with a docked tail). Must have been around 1954. The Tote window took our money but when the bet came up, the payout window told us we were too young to bet so we gave the ticket to a large red faced farmer friend who collected our dosh and gave the payout lady a right talking to about taking bets from minorsCool and refusing to pay them their winnings. My main experience of a betting shop was when at Reading Uni from 1962-1966 when we listened to the blower commentary when we could get there. One never to be forgotten Cheltenham Festival was 1965 when myself and 3 friends managed to back No Restrictions 33/1, Mayfair Bill 100/8 and Woodside Terrace 33/1 on the same card! Those were the days.
Report FOYLESWAR August 8, 2021 8:55 AM BST
was in the canteen at work as a teenager ,2 old boys with the daily mirror talking about the horses , after a while one of them said" anyone wanna comer in on this bet ?" i said how much ? 55p the ol boy said anyway next day i went in and the ol boy said we had 3 winners and a non runner with a kind of triumphant look on his face ,oh right said i ,knew fook all about odds or betting ,anyway at dinner break the ol boy comes back form the bookies and hands me around £15   my wages were around £8 a week so that was amazing to get nearly double my wages for doing fook all , the rest is history.
Report .Marksman. August 8, 2021 11:48 AM BST
I remember that March Saturday in 1973 like it was yesterday:  Littleton point to point.  The smell of freshly painted rails and the cigar smoke of the bookies.  The winters back then were long and cold and the ice had only just come out of the ground, leaving it muddy, so that I was up to my ankles in mud.  The fences were mostly the hedges taht seperated fields and had been trimmed back and marked with flags.  The course was a true cross-country, not like modern point courses which are watered down versions of standard courses.  There would have been about 8 bookies in one line.  All but one displayed NBPA badges.  The one who didn't had to put up with being on the unfavoured end of the line, and whereas the members all had printed sheets of the runners on their boards, he had to make do with writing all the names for each race by hand on his board for each race.
All the jockeys wore knitted wool colours, which seemed quite sensible considering how cold it was.
The course was so local that loads of lads from school were there and ones who I had never talked to before were friendly.  In my memory I can still see their faces now.  We were just at the point of moving out of childhood into the adult world and this is probably what makes the memories so vivid.
If I had previously had any doubts about which way my life should go this afternoon sealed my fate.  Deep down I know that betting for me is really an attempt to get back to a time when things were fresh and a whole future of possibilities was still in front of me.
Report Blackrock August 8, 2021 12:01 PM BST
My Gran started me off on the racing bug. Pick a horse out of the paper every Sat and she would put a shilling ew on it.

Always get a buzz when i first see the running rails at the races. Even saw old wooden rails from courses closed many moons ago, whilst driving by and still sets the pulse racing.

As for gambling ive had one or two good days and many more bad ones. Wouldn't change a thing. Absolutely love it.
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk August 8, 2021 12:31 PM BST
Should have spent my time playing sport and keeping fit
I've come to despise most people involved in Horse-racing from their centuries old cliches to their snobbish arrogance and idiotic
presenters.
Report driver2 August 8, 2021 12:40 PM BST
When I think of amazing weekends in Paris in October or Royal Ascot on the Tuesday, renting a caravan in Bognor for the week of Glorious Goodwood, getting pissed in the champagne bar at Epsom after Charlottown and Royal Palace left me with money to burn and many more great memories, no I wouldn't turn a different corner, how could I?
Report sageform August 8, 2021 12:46 PM BST
There is no conflict between racing/betting and sport participation. I was going racing once or twice a week in the eighties but still training 40 miles a week for my athletics. Being a farmer also helped to keep fit. I still walk for 2 hours most mornings before settling down to watch sport in the afternoon at age 77.
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk August 8, 2021 12:48 PM BST
Good for you
Report stu August 8, 2021 1:02 PM BST
Some days I wouldn't have changed a thing, other days I've wished I could go back and never even learn what betting was.

It's a mad life for sure, once you get the bug, but at least it's not boring.
Report Brian August 8, 2021 1:18 PM BST
I think my first bet was 3d (just over 1 penny in today's lingo), I was 2 months short of my 8th birthday. It won but I would have got involved irrespective as it was a family business and/or hobby so it was in the blood. Sixty five years later, it no longer as exciting but still bet everyday.
Report stu August 8, 2021 1:36 PM BST
Blimey brian, I thought I was early at about 13 for my first bet placed, but 8 is beating that!

I think my first ever bet actually lost (so goes against the theory that winning hooks you), but I do remember my first winning one much more clearly.
Report Brian August 8, 2021 1:52 PM BST
Stu,  All "shops" were illegal in those days so under age was of no relevance. I was broken hearted when they were legalised (I was 13 then) and I was no longer allowed in although one family member let me in to his shop until about 30 minutes before racing actually started!
Report hunt lunt and cunningham August 8, 2021 3:03 PM BST
Brian,you were almost an old man compared to me !! Had my first bet , with my Dad when I was 7, had Nicholas Silver to win the Grand National in 1961. Only because it was almost white and my dad told me it had no chance...
Always remember betting shops as being the most magical places even when I was young as the windows were always blacked out and you had no idea what was going on unless on a hot day the door was open and those door blinds were there so you could peep through. Have loved it ever since but only ever make real money on Rugby..
Report sparrow August 8, 2021 3:13 PM BST
I can't remember my first bet but only my first winner when my dad took me to Newmarket and I somehow had a 1/- each way on London Cry to win the 1958 Cambridgeshire ridden by Scobie Breasley at 20/1. I was just an 11 year old but my dad worked as a bookmakers clerk and often took me racing when he was working or on his days off.
Report ribero1 August 8, 2021 3:25 PM BST
hlc,i had an imaginary 6d ew on Nicholas Silver with my grandma as a 6 y o,I was soon into it after that as I remember being at Doncaster when he won the Great Yorkshire chase the year after I guess,the first time I recall going racing was Aurelius's st leger with my Dad lifting me over the turnstile and that's about all I remember about apart from the massive crowd,also went to the Town moor fair leger week and seeing Prince Monolulu and being scared stiff of him!
Racing always a massive part of our family so it was always going to happen with my Dad going racing virtually every Saturday for most of his life (much more later in life),his Dad owned a few horses and my Grandad on my Mums side had Greyhounds at Elland Road so Was going there from a very early age.
Report impossible123 August 8, 2021 3:44 PM BST
Shergar in the 81 Derby; £90 cash bet. And, I was still a student on an allowance of £150 a month.
Report stu August 8, 2021 5:13 PM BST
We're all old gits aren't we Laugh

But no coincidence us early starters are all still here doing this stuff too.
Report Lee Ho Fooks August 8, 2021 5:37 PM BST
Speak for yourself Stu, If sageform's anything to go by I'm in the first flush of youth Laugh
Report SlippyBlue August 8, 2021 5:49 PM BST
I don't know about turning a different corner, some of my greatest memories involve sport and gambling combined and I wouldn't want that to change.

I started very young, aged 7 onwards and ran the book at school for the National, F.A. Cup, even for who was going to be number 1 in the charts on Sunday!

One thing I do know is that if I'd never gambled, I'd be a fair bit better off than I am now but thems the breaks I suppose. I would think most of us would say similar if we were being honest.
Report chavman August 8, 2021 7:00 PM BST
mid 80s started going into bookies,great memories of the board man with a felt tip and the race sheet,the shop packed out and full of **** smoke,the vertical plastic strips covering the door way (as it was supposed to be illegal to have the door open if i remember right).

up and down since, its turned into my greatest passion and thankfully many friends and family find it equally fascinating.
Report crystalhunt August 8, 2021 10:47 PM BST
Had my first bet aged 8 - 3d ew Royal Tan 8/1 in 1954. Got the bug off my old man - used to take his bets to the street bookie written on a woodie packet. My next national winner was Sundew 1957 6d ew 20/1. This is a good quiz question - the race was run on a Friday. How I remember this is I was in school and my teacher told me to go to the staff room to find out what won the national. I skipped back to class with the good news.
When the betting shops opened in 1961 the old man got a job as a settler so gambling was in the DNA. Like the old man I was too clever for my own good and always thought I could win the big one. Should have packed in long ago but each time I pack in, a few weeks later it's cheltenham or Ascot or Goodwood and off we go again.
The irony is that when I did get the big one up in the 70's it was with my smallest ever stake on the ITV 7. A 48p perm. It was the last S't'day of the annual 2 weeks holiday and only had 50p to my name. Borrowed 10p off the mrs - 8p for the daily express and 52p for the bet including the tax. Needless to say 7 winners. 20/1,9/2,9/2,4/1,100/30,3/1,7/4. 150,000/1 accum. Had to wait a week to pick up a cheque from Laddies for £1500. On reflection should have given more time to the family.

When looking up the date for Royal Tan I found this Pathe News video. It's a good watch of how it used to be

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/royal-tans-national
Report Movewiththetimes August 8, 2021 10:54 PM BST
Some great stories thanks for posting.

Lee Ho- Re £2 stake I won the local table tennis tournament(£10) that day, thought I was a millionaire when I came out the bookies with my winnings LaughLaugh
Report smirnoff2therescue August 8, 2021 11:05 PM BST
1st bet i had was 5p on a 16/1 shot that p1ssed in at Newcastle in amongst me dads bets and it turned out whole village/town bet the fooker so the bookie reneged and fooked off CryCryCry

The rest is history lolLaughLaughCryCry
Report .Marksman. August 9, 2021 12:19 AM BST
This thread is like a gamblers annon meeting gone wrong.
Report Brian August 9, 2021 8:32 AM BST
Lovely story Crystalhunt. I also remember bets on woodbine packets Grin. The other thing that has come back to my mind is no photocopies of bets and everyone used a nom de plume (eg Black Cat or John25) and the bets were settled in the head office and returned on a sheet to the "betting shop" manager the next day and throughout the morning there would be people coming into the "betting shop" with the hopeful question "Anything on the sheet for John25" or whatever the nom de plume was. Most were losers but many just had to come and ask just in case. It was a very civilised environment if illegal. No Peaky Blinders in the Welsh valleysGrin ; the shop would be gently raided every couple of years and the manager end up with a court fine but apparently he was always told in advance by the local bobbie when the visitation would take place.
Report Ramruma August 9, 2021 10:04 AM BST
@Brian -- no Peaky Blinders in the valleys but what about Cardiff bookmaker Gomer Charles? He organised the Francasal ringer at Bath in 1953, went to prison for it, and was later murdered.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/violent-end-man-involved-racing-2076184

There is a fuller account in David Ashforth's book, Ringers & Rascals, and in Brian Lee's book, Racing Rogues.
Report FOYLESWAR August 9, 2021 10:04 AM BST
or me there are not many moments  better than landing a large well planned bet ! as a mainly big priced  ante post backer obviously a lot of non runners and loads of losers as well ,the losers are forgotten about in around a minuet or 2  but a big priced winner and the feeling of elation is hard to beat , in this game the ups and downs are frequent but as harry findlay once said "gambling is the greatest game in world " and he aint wrong imo.
gambling also keeps us old uns grey matter ticking over and gives us something to look forward to to keep us from getting bored ! gambling is good for you! in fact the government should give out gambling grants to keep us healthier and ya dont see many grossly overweight gamblers so it must be good for the body and mind LaughLaugh
Report Lee Ho Fooks August 9, 2021 11:01 AM BST
Very true Foyles. It's been said that gardeners live longer because they always have something to look forward to but whereas gardeners have new seasons to prepare for, as soon as the last race of the day is run, we gamblers will look forward to the following day's racing and what rewards that will bring.
Report Ramruma August 9, 2021 11:15 AM BST
@Brian -- more bookie-related villainy from Cardiff.

Quest to clear hanged bookie

Danny Driscoll was hanged as an accomplice to the murder of fellow Cardiff bookie Dai Lewis whose throat was cut on St Mary Street in 1927.

The trial at Cardiff Crown Court heard that John Rowlands committed the murder, but he was committed to Broadmoor after being found unfit to hang shortly after the trial.

Driscoll and Rowlands' brother, Edward, went to the scaffold in January 1928 for being at the scene and for aiding and abetting the murderer.

But Cardiff solicitor Bernard de Maid, who has taken up Driscoll's case, says that the existence of John Rowlands' mental health records could prove that his accomplices may not have known he was about to carry out the murder.

More at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/2797267.stm (story is dated from 2003 btw).
Report scrabbler August 9, 2021 11:17 AM BST
As a kid I would watch the BBC racing with my grandma We would both pick one out in each race with a bet of 1d. It was only a few years later that I twigged that she would pick a no-hoper in order that I could win. Dad was a miner and, like many, used to have abet via the local bookie's runner. He would get the Handicap Book each week and the Racing & Football Outlook. The first meeting I remember going to was Donny in 1967. I think the second enclosure was 10/6. I had the dual forecast up when Pia and Pink Gem dead heated in the Park Hill stakes. Have seen some great horses and great races ( only time I saw Shergar in the flesh was at Donny - it lost both times ) and backed many a "good thing" which didn't work out as planned.  Completed visits to all GB courses a couple of years ago and still find horse racing a fascinating, sometimes infuriating, pastime.
Report Brian August 9, 2021 12:52 PM BST
@ramruma Thanks for the info though I wasn't under the delusion they were all angelsGrin. There was a bookmaker in the 60s and 70s who had offices in Cardff that I think I was called Charles (surname), maybe there is a family link.
Report themightymac August 9, 2021 8:30 PM BST
Gambling is just an addiction and a complete waste of life and time. I would never start betting if I could live my life again.
Report Deptford August 9, 2021 9:19 PM BST
Wouldnt change a thing, if racing was on tv no school for me, had to write results down for my old mum, first proper bet with my own money was £2 Grundy 1975 Derby, saved my 20p dinner money per day for 2 weeks and went hungry. Was 12 in 1975
Report themightymac August 9, 2021 9:38 PM BST
Report metro john August 9, 2021 10:13 PM BST
I think you get a similar buzz in meditation only without the disapointments which are many. I am easy to  please, euphoria is understood.
Report metro john August 9, 2021 10:18 PM BST
imagine life without emotion?LoveCry
Report themightymac August 9, 2021 10:40 PM BST
Very few people succeed gambling and most spend their lives chasing rainbows.
Report stu August 9, 2021 11:40 PM BST
True mighty, there are some big lows that probably any gambler knows. But, there are also some immense highs that are difficult to find doing anything else in life.
Report stu August 9, 2021 11:46 PM BST
IMO many of the non-gambling population may live affluent lives, normal lives, supposedly successful - but find themselves miserable and empty of activity they truly engage with.

Problem gambling is wrong and something to address of course, but for the majority that can gamble without a problem it is a perfectly great activity that engages the mind, brain and soul, for sure.
Report Deptford August 10, 2021 7:51 AM BST
Cheers themightymac, brought a big smile to my face, ive got some lovely photos here, the best one is Ballyandys photo finish in Cheltenham Bumper, framed inmy front room, won me a fortune.
Report Brian August 10, 2021 8:46 AM BST
I'm absolutely certain my life would have been much worse without betting on horseracing (I don't like using the G word). For most people who bet, it is just a pastime that probably costs much less than many other popular activities (drinking, drugs, golf, following a Premier League club etc etc). It's sad that some people get addicted but they are the minority.
Report Storm Alert August 10, 2021 9:21 AM BST
Nearly all gamblers I suspect have a good start which hooks them in. In my case backing Well to Do in 1972 Grand National and turning 50p e/w into about a £10 which was a fortune as I was still at school. 2nd bet was Red Rum the following year and 3rd bet was Grundy in 1975 Derby. My first losing bet was Andy Pandy in 1977 GN. Didn't have another bet until I was working with a crowd of racing enthusiasts and the 1980/81 NH season and Cheltenham followed by the epic 1981 flat season sealed my fate.

I have always loved horse racing and once I learnt how to gamble successful have always done well. Football betting I have gradually learnt to leave alone.
Report .Marksman. August 10, 2021 10:00 AM BST
Unlucky with Andy Pandy, Storm Alert.  I remember it well, I was there, on the top of the old Victorian stand (long since demolished) watching them go over Bechers through heavy 10 x 5O binoculars.
Still got those bins:  I tell people I saw Red Rum win Grand Nationals through them, but I have no certification to prove it.  Don't even have the racecard as a souvenir because I relied on the Sporting Chronicle.
Report steerforth August 10, 2021 12:42 PM BST
I find that I never truly experience the unbridled pleasure of my formative years; the rush that got me hooked in the first place. The effortless glide through the finish of Wollow coming on to win the Guineas, the anticipation generated by JO Tobin’s 2yo campaign, Piggott getting the last ounce out of the Minstrel at Epsom, Sea Pigeon’s endearing genius, and that glorious day when Tingle Creek won at Sandown and I had it doubled with Swift Shadow on the same card, both under Steve Smith-Eccles, 3-1 and 15/2. The neurons that were linking up in my brain at that time have long since been forged together so that it’s hard to replicate the scale of the dopamine charge that I felt in those halcyon days. Then, like many others before me, I realised that winning was a long game. I had to become more disciplined and self-aware and the rare days of big returns for small outlay were replaced with the slow grind of turnover and ROI calculations – and there’s something more mechanical, less romantic, about that approach. But I still wake up every morning with a spring in my step; a new day, a new challenge, and that won’t stop.
Report stu August 10, 2021 1:08 PM BST
Have similar favourite old early memories, for me it was Nashwan, Reference Point, horses that always quickened my pulse.

Though less in more modern racing, I still found the emergence of Frankel was an amazing one that reminded me of those early memories (hence my tribute avatar).
Report stu August 10, 2021 1:10 PM BST
Honourable mentions for being young and watching Indian Skimmer and Spectrum two others that stay with me.
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk August 10, 2021 1:12 PM BST
I started betting the year Dancing Brave started his 3 yo career
I never stood a chance of giving up.
Report .Marksman. August 10, 2021 1:47 PM BST
steerforth, your mention of Sea Pigeon reminded me that I skipped school to watch Sea Pigeon's second Chester Cup win (1978).  I watched it from the cheapest enclosure and the commentary was drowned out by the shouting of the crowd echoing against the City Walls.  Consequently, every around me was asking "What's won?" after they crossed the line.  For the next few years Sea Pigeon was the star attraction in racing.
Report stu August 10, 2021 1:53 PM BST
I vaguely remember watching Sea Pidgeon, though I was very young then and not yet betting.
Report sageform August 10, 2021 2:13 PM BST
Mortified to be called an old gitDevil but still enjoy racing. Yet again today a Balding 3yo maiden was a help yourself bet. After 65 years of watching, it is all about people and colours. Some people spend hours studying form and good luck to them but give me a stable in form, owner/breeders with 40 years of success and that is all I need to know.
Report SlippyBlue August 10, 2021 2:20 PM BST
I'm enjoying this thread, the forum at it's best. My family and friends just don't understand why I would want to go to a wet and windy Plumpton on a Monday afternoon to spend time and money getting there and back when I can watch it at home in comfort for nowt.

My peers on here though do " get it" and I like that about this place.
Grin
Report sageform August 10, 2021 2:29 PM BST
2.25 Balding/Probert/Fitri Hay. Dream team again.
Report sparrow August 10, 2021 2:35 PM BST
The Balding team remains in tremendous form.
Report themightymac August 10, 2021 2:57 PM BST
Cheers Deptford. Check this oil painting out for sale on ebay, Just paste item number 265211479716 in search facility and it will come up. Was tempted myself but refrained.
Report workrider August 10, 2021 3:11 PM BST
Slippy that was exactly the topic coming home from Ballinrobe last night in the car , me and my friend English Man btw had . The sheer fact that we'd spent nearly 12 hours getting there and back meant nothing , the fact we were THERE was the point. Cracking thread btw...
Report thurnscoe thunder August 10, 2021 4:00 PM BST
Just started when i was around 7 with the National bets, but it quickly turned into doing the itv7 with my dad and brother.
I recall having a list of around 20 horses written out on a piece of paper that id follow religiously, not needing to bet on them as a kid but just follow.
They didnt have to be Derby or Gold Cup winners, not all were even graded race horses however the only 2 i can recall these days were pretty decent in Western Rose and Connaught Ranger.
It went on to betting my dinner money each week on the results of Leeds against Rangers during my teen years with a mate, then being able to get into the old independent bookies when i was 15 it took hold
Had some rough times over the years with it all and some good.
I think i fell in love with it all going through form, watching horses running and making mental notes, and using the old brain i suppose to try and fathom out the puzzle, never been interested in a bet on the lottery or fruit machines for me thats just too random or too much luck required.

Betfair came along and changed my life.
I handed my notice in the day Dubai Destination won at Newmarkets July Meeting to go fulltime after making a decent amount over the first 7 months on here, but found betting without the back up of a job very stressful initially as it coincided with an horrendous run, so went on holiday in Sept 2001 thinking it may have been a mistake after what was only around 5 weeks of doing it.
In running came around the following month, and ive been doing it ever since.

It will have been a very long, at times pretty enjoyable but yet very mundane 20 years when the Cesarewitch comes round this season.
I wouldnt change it obviously and I never dreamed i would be involved in some form of betting for a living

I know racing is always in my heart whatever happens but at times I just cant seem to get back the excitement for racing as it once was and it now just seems like another childhood memory.
It could be I have been involved with inrunning for too long and its altered my perspective of what it means to me
I really do miss those early days of racing which excited me and made me fall in love with racing, im not sure if a lot of it is nostalgia, but it just seemed better.
The top quality Flat horses seemed spread around more and they took each other on, all the big players and recognisable colours of the 80s
National Hunt was exciting, the cream of the crop running in handicaps giving weight away so you knew how good they were, racing against each other more than once a season.
Report sageform August 10, 2021 4:11 PM BST
There are changes for the better and some for the worse Thurnscoe and congrats at making it pay. I can remember chases where 2 or 3 Gold Cup prospects waddled into a paddock in November, jumped 10 fences and pulled up while a super fit handicapper won at 12/1 or more. Nobody cared apart from those who backed losers which is one thing that never changes. After 50 years of regular betting, I still get angry with myself for backing favourites as they mostly lose. I remember a Ladbrokes rail bookmaker telling me that they were always happy to give a half point extra to a credit customer who backed favourites to small stakes. I used to go racing 2 or 3 days a week in the 90s and 00s and made a point of chatting with the rails reps who taught me a lot. Now they just stare at computers.
Report Larabrown August 10, 2021 7:59 PM BST
Fascinating thread. I am very grateful to racing for enabling me to do things I couldn`t have afforded otherwise. I can`t say I`ve experienced the emotional ups and downs described here, mainly because my approach is so systematic and mathematical I suppose.
Report leif August 10, 2021 8:17 PM BST
Larabrown

Fascinating thread. I am very grateful to racing for enabling me to do things I couldn`t have afforded otherwise. I can`t say I`ve experienced the emotional ups and downs described here, mainly because my approach is so systematic and mathematical I suppose.

Come off it Fraudy lol.

You've spent donkeys years posting Tipster selections and claiming you always get on at advertised prices. Bugger all mathematical about that approach especially as no-one believes your claims.

You must be so deluded you're actually believing our own BS Sad
Report smirnoff2therescue August 11, 2021 12:08 AM BST
Slippy cudnt agree more -hope ya well by the way - did my trip to Eastbourne and took in Brighton races evening meet 6th July - early doors during the day it was blowing a hooly on Brighton seafront but day had started well cos me mate had found a nifty blowing about on the ground on the walk down from station to said sea front - was just after the big statue of Queen Victoria and her ilk - wiv all the veggy type shops on right hand side including vegan chinese establishments -diff world lol - spent most of afternoon watching the tennis in bar at end of pier b4 going onto races where i can honestly say it was a gr8 evenings entertainment - prices were very fair for South East on a par wiv wot you get ripped off at Newcastle . Brighton has a bit of a reputation as being a bit of a gaffe track much like Hexham but i can guarantee anyone that takes the plunge and goes there that they will not be disappointed .
Had a gr8 time there and hoping to go again next year LoveLoveCoolCool
Report SlippyBlue August 11, 2021 5:52 AM BST
I'm doing ok mate, still have to take things a bit steady and can't overdo it but everything is joyous all said and done. I hope you are in good form as well. I've always liked Brighton and would love to meet up next time you go most definitely.It sounds like you had a great time although I think I'd give the veggie Chinese a swerve though !

I'm off to Fontwell next week and Hove dogs on Saturday night so we are looking forward to that. My brother has got a flat in Littlehampton so we are staying there for 5 days, it's right on the beach so will chill out there and hopefully have some good seafood and bracing sea air.
Report Deptford August 11, 2021 6:57 PM BST
themightymac, I printed off some colour photos, look ok.
Report themightymac August 11, 2021 7:01 PM BST
Cheers deptford. Good luck mate.
Report DancingBraveTheBest August 11, 2021 7:07 PM BST
I was about 8 i think and my dad told me and my twin brother to pick a horse each in a race on a saturday. I chose Red Rum, my brother Rubstick. Rubstick won but funnily enough im the one addicted to this great sport and not my twin who picked the winner.Happy
Report smirnoff2therescue August 11, 2021 9:36 PM BST
Slippy if ya looking in we did Hove on the Thursday night 3 course meal programs and entry for less than £20 quid - 3 quid extra if ya had a steak -think its about £27 for Sat night but wot a view - place was packed for a Thurs night - nee bookies but hav returned since- nee probs wiv internet reception so easy to place bets on bf et al - still the best and fairest greyhound track in the country by miles and im going back to the grass straights - old totaliser board no longer there mindSadSadGrinGrin
Report DancingBraveTheBest August 12, 2021 1:07 PM BST
Smirnoff do you know a guy called Colin who was a postie, had a few dogs at Hove??
Report Life-Lucky August 12, 2021 1:52 PM BST
Flat-broke in 1977 sharing a house in East London spending what little I had on 'Breaker' malt liquor and cheap mince for spag bol I had a dream about horseracing about which I knew nothing. That was it, 44 years and counting. I've never won Big Money but I've had memorable moments nonetheless and travelled far and wide so no, I wouldn't change a thing
Report smirnoff2therescue August 12, 2021 2:38 PM BST
Dancing nah  wrong end of country for me
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com