Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ballyregan
01 Aug 21 19:26
| Topic/replies: 1,059 | Blogger: ballyregan's blog
any thoughts on this?
Pause Switch to Standard View the new thing top sportstars taking...
Show More
Report snowynoon August 1, 2021 9:07 PM BST
Easy  and quick way to get lots of attention ,publicity ,sympathy ,and even be labelled a hero ,and get a break if you dont fancy fulfilling your contractual obligations .Will get more and more popular with our sporting heroes.
Report ballyregan August 1, 2021 9:17 PM BST
are they encouraging the general public to have time out now?
how will this work for say for a single struggling mother with a lowly paid job that needs to pay her bills to keep a roof over her head and feed her kids....
Report saddo August 1, 2021 9:26 PM BST
She'll go to work til she has a break down, there'll be no applause.
Report ballyregan August 1, 2021 9:29 PM BST
that is what happens saddo the real world have to power through , with these lower paid jobs if you have not been at the job two years they find any excuse to get rid of you m one sign of any weakness and bye
Report The Management August 2, 2021 8:41 AM BST
It's what separates the very best from the also-rans imo - ability to perform (and in some cases thrive) under pressure.
Report dpm August 2, 2021 9:44 AM BST
The Snowflakes and Wokes are taking over.
Report .Marksman. August 2, 2021 10:01 AM BST
I remember when Jamie Spencer "retired" from the saddle.  People suddenly started saying what a wonderful jockey he was, how much he would be missed etc.  (Just the sort of things people say at funerals.)
But he seemed to take these comments seriously.. and came back Sad
Report Slicer August 2, 2021 11:02 AM BST
ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!
Being mentally attuned is part & parcel of being successful in sport! It's like the so called reality tv stars. They want to be famous then can't hack it. If they were starving & homeless I would understand it but they're paid thousands for doing what many do as a hobby. AGAIN ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS! There's nothing like a bit of sympathy & that is what they get from me-nothing like a bit of sympathy!
Report sixtwosix August 2, 2021 11:10 AM BST
Most of these 'burnt out' elite athletes are ludicrously wealthy and comfortable.
What's the worst that can happen , they get beat?

Probably make even more money discussing their issues in the media and print.

Ordinary people in cr@p jobs or no job have reason to be burnt out....and why are they not ?...….because they can't lie on a bed of cash feeling sorry for themselves.

I watch less and less sport these days and miss it less and less.
Report The Knight August 2, 2021 11:16 AM BST
Totally agree with most on this post. Utterly ludicrous these people suffering 'mental strain'.

Christ only knows what the younger generations will do if there is ever another war like world war 2!

It is pathetic and makes them look really stupid in front of most of the older generations - of which I am one.

Actually, though, I suspect a lot of it is just an excuse or not competing when they fear they might not win.

Sadly, the younger generations are so spoiled they now cannot accept defeat as part of actually competing.

Pathetic, all of them.
Report The Management August 2, 2021 11:35 AM BST
It can't help that the people competing today are from a generation that grew up "participating" in such nonsense as "non-competitive" sports day and the like when at school. Introduced so as not to put any "stress", "anxiety"  or expectation on the poor little mites that aren't great at it.

In my day, they just made all the unfit fat lads with no hand-eye coordination play rugby, leaving the rest of us to get on with the real sports Wink
Report ballyregan August 2, 2021 12:03 PM BST
simone biles who decided to pull out the other day to focus on her mental health a few days back has now decided to compete tomorrow
Report workrider August 2, 2021 12:07 PM BST
One of the best threads on here in years...
Report Slicer August 2, 2021 12:09 PM BST
AMAZING BREAKING NEWS. The US lady gymnast has made a miraculous recovery & will be taking part in the beam final. Obviously not treated by the NHS where there is a 10 month wait for an abortion!
Report Latalomne August 2, 2021 2:01 PM BST

Aug 2, 2021 -- 5:35AM, The Management wrote:

It can't help that the people competing today are from a generation that grew up "participating" in such nonsense as "non-competitive" sports day and the like when at school. Introduced so as not to put any "stress", "anxiety"

Report Latalomne August 2, 2021 2:02 PM BST
Exactly THIS!

The youth of today are not programmed to deal with stress/failure because PC society has insisted on shielding them from it.  They simply don't know how to cope with it.
Report .Marksman. August 2, 2021 2:23 PM BST
I'd happily swap having a soul destroying losing run on Betfair (which can go on for months) for being a privileged elite athlete who has had a bad day and not made an olympic final.
But I accept my lot in life and just get on with it, whithout any drama.  So I have no sympathy for Naomi Osaka, Emma, Dina, Simone etc.
(Just noticed, while typing this, that they are all female.  And the three England footballers are black.  Must be some sort of "I am a victim of societies wrongs" syndrome.)
Report Slicer August 2, 2021 2:27 PM BST
Ben Stokes is not female nor is he black! He's just a pillock!
Report ericster August 2, 2021 2:30 PM BST

Aug 2, 2021 -- 6:09AM, Slicer wrote:

AMAZING BREAKING NEWS. The US lady gymnast has made a miraculous recovery & will be taking part in the beam final. Obviously not treated by the NHS where there is a 10 month wait for an abortion!

She had an abortion?Shocked

Report ericster August 2, 2021 2:31 PM BST

Aug 2, 2021 -- 8:02AM, Latalomne wrote:

Exactly THIS!The youth of today are not programmed to deal with stress/failure because PC society has insisted on shielding them from it.

Report ericster August 2, 2021 2:31 PM BST
I think the term is "snowflake".
Report Slicer August 2, 2021 2:32 PM BST
I think a visit to Specsavers might be indicated Mr Ericster!
Report saddo August 2, 2021 2:34 PM BST
Depression is ghastly and can be debilitating, ordinary people normally go on til they break. Then there is no treatment -other than dubious pills with plentiful side effects- until they might get to see a cognitive therapist for 5 sessions after waiting a couple of years and being crushed further.

Anyone who has a battalion of people waiting to sort out their mental health problems should be so grateful.
Report LoyalHoncho August 2, 2021 2:35 PM BST
.Marksman.   02 Aug 21 09:01
Laugh  Laugh  Laugh
Report duffy August 2, 2021 2:35 PM BST
Stokes missing out on the upcoming test matches!!!

I wonder if he will miraculously be better in time to snare a lucrative IPL contract next year.

Mental health is obviously a tricky thing as Simone Biles was apparently suffering last week but is OK to compete now.
Report Dr Crippen August 2, 2021 2:45 PM BST
It's not depression they're suffering.

People who are subject to depression don't get to the top of their sports.
Report onlooker August 2, 2021 2:55 PM BST
Usual 'celebrity' COPYCAT Syndrome.

They  can ONLY do COLLECTIVE things - That they Mistakenly think is TRENDY - makes them look 'with it' - and impresses the general public.

None of them can - Think for themselves.

The worst example - was when 'celebrities' like Paris Hilton all got themselves a DOG to carry around .... for a few weeks ... because it was the latest 'in' gimmick..... PATHETIC

Who looked after the 'accessory' dogs - when the trend died a death, and the 'celebrities' did not need/want them any more?

............ and - If you are going to get a DOG ... Get a proper WOOFER - and not one of those fiddly little 'handbag' things that they all got.
Report sixtwosix August 2, 2021 3:06 PM BST
No doubt applauded by the media 'luvvies' for recovering in a week....unlike the great unwashed who dawdle with the symptoms for years in some cases..
Report ballyregan August 2, 2021 3:40 PM BST
adam peaty swimmer has decided to have a month off due to a mental health break because his schedule for the next three years is jampacked why didn't he just say he is having a nice holiday before going back to work.
Report Celtic warrior August 2, 2021 3:45 PM BST
How about winning the gold medal is not everything. I am sure coe and ovett would take issue with that

Okay guys, do you want a jump off for gold....sir can we both have gold instead..stupid official...of course if it keeps you both happy!!!
Report duffy August 2, 2021 3:51 PM BST
ballyregan 02 Aug 21 14:40 
adam peaty swimmer has decided to have a month off due to a mental health break because his schedule for the next three years is jampacked why didn't he just say he is having a nice holiday before going back to work.

Someone should tell him that it is quite ok Adam because the man on the street couldn't give a flying fook and only pays attention to what you're up to once every 4 years anywayDevil.

Expect to see him in the jungle or strictly come the winter.
Report onlooker August 2, 2021 4:05 PM BST
Not taken long for the FOOTBALLERS to JOIN IN ...

Tyrone Mings:

England defender says - "Mental health plummeted in build-up to Euro 2020" Cry
Report ballyregan August 2, 2021 4:13 PM BST
Tyrone soon perked up to go mykynos and then ibiza partying like a goodun straight after elimination, maybe the squad should have gone straight for therapy to help them instead of all living it up
Report barstool August 2, 2021 4:24 PM BST
They refer to it as "situation anxiety " these days. The poor dears have experts to help them cope.

We uses to call it schitting yourself and you were on your own.
Report duncan idaho August 2, 2021 4:24 PM BST
cracking thread, lads...if only the younger generation read threads like this they'd soon realise how lucky they are..they've not had to fight wars like us lot, being in the trenches soon puts a few Facebook likes into perspective i can f00kin tell you
Report jodean August 2, 2021 5:27 PM BST
Social media , stop it all .
Report Slicer August 2, 2021 5:49 PM BST
If I was a footballer I'd go crazy too. My mind would be confused & I'd get depressed worrying about how to spend my £150k a week!
Report Cauthenmeister August 2, 2021 5:58 PM BST
Amazed the Keith Miller quote hasn't popped up yet.
Report Tiger Tiger August 2, 2021 6:09 PM BST
I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not.
Report stu August 2, 2021 6:14 PM BST
Agree with pretty much all in this post - and I even work in a psychology related area professionally.

There is now too much emphasis on mental health as a problem area, in terms of 'finding/seeking' problems rather than treating the real ones in people.

Mental health can be a real problem for many, and it even diminishes those who do have it clinically to see such banal uses of the term.
Report barstool August 2, 2021 6:20 PM BST
I would like to see you face 90mph bowling from 20 yards Tiger, on an uncovered wicket, no helmet.

They wouldn't get you out of the Pavilion toilet.
Report Tiger Tiger August 2, 2021 6:21 PM BST
Crazy

It was a quote by Keith Miller.
Report barstool August 2, 2021 6:25 PM BST
Mea Culpa.
Report MJK August 2, 2021 6:27 PM BST
One thing I've noticed from interviews with our losing participants is that not one of them has said they just weren't good enough. Every one of them has immediately rattled off all the 'positives' of losing, how they have given up so much for this etc. Has it been the same stuff from UK participants?
Report BARROWBOY August 2, 2021 6:27 PM BST
That’s exactly the problem ,people like Osaka who say they have mental health problems when in fact they’re suffering from a mild situation anxiety belittle those who have serious mental health/ suicidal tendencies.try being skint,a single mum with 2 kids in a damp flat with the rent man banging on the door,Naomi.
Report stu August 2, 2021 6:36 PM BST
As said, I feel for the ordinary folk really suffering with mental health issues - most likely not even diagnosed, and struggling on every day.
Report Wesdag August 2, 2021 6:41 PM BST
I can understand Biles having a break because if she's not completely confident about her somersaults the result could be very serious.

That was the reason she sat out.
Report stu August 2, 2021 6:54 PM BST
She should just say that wes.
Report penzance August 2, 2021 6:59 PM BST
she did,said she's suffering from Twisties.
Report ballyregan August 2, 2021 7:03 PM BST
she should have said that she is suffering from the twisties on the day , the world thought she was some sort of hero giving up her gold medals to make a stance for people struggling with mental health which then helped a string of other brave sports stars to come out saying they are struggling now to.
Report Slicer August 2, 2021 7:28 PM BST
Something I don't remember hearing is the point that these people who withdraw from events are preventing others who are not so mentally frail taking up a valued place in the team!
Report Wesdag August 2, 2021 8:07 PM BST

Aug 2, 2021 -- 1:03PM, ballyregan wrote:

she should have said that she is suffering from the twisties on the day , the world thought she was some sort of hero giving up her gold medals to make a stance for people struggling with mental health which then helped a string of other brave sports stars to come out saying they are struggling now to.

Tbf, she doesn't owe you or the world a thing.

No doubt if she'd given a full explanation of her reasons at the time, you'd still have something to gripe about.

Report duncan idaho August 2, 2021 8:08 PM BST
great all the mental health experts on the forum have reached a consensus, despite none having any direct insight into the life of a world-class sportsman/woman...you're wasted on here, lads...tis a crying shame
Report Slicer August 2, 2021 8:12 PM BST
Any over paid sportsman who is having mental issues should try delivering for Amazon, Deliveroo or driving for Uber.
Report ballyregan August 2, 2021 8:14 PM BST
the woke duo duncan and wesdag
Report Wesdag August 2, 2021 8:15 PM BST
Laugh

I'm far from woke I can assure you.
Report sofiakenny August 2, 2021 8:15 PM BST
I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not...ffs tigger you could park a b52 up yours.
Report Slicer August 2, 2021 8:18 PM BST
btw- There's a shortage of HGV drivers. I suggest any unhappy sportspersons retrain!
Report sixtwosix August 2, 2021 8:19 PM BST
Compare this era to Steve Ovett   dragging himself out of a hospital bed in 1984 to compete in the 1500 metre final ......
Report Wesdag August 2, 2021 8:22 PM BST
I should've added that Biles is the only one I'd have any sympathy for because her mental issues (a bout of the twisties) could lead to serious injury.
Report Slicer August 2, 2021 8:23 PM BST
I suggest a sports training module includes the subject "Pulling yourself together"!
Report BARROWBOY August 2, 2021 8:33 PM BST
Didn’t do Gustav kuerton any harm.
Report sofiakenny August 2, 2021 11:56 PM BST
Barrow..a well deserved..LaughLaughLaugh
Report smirnoff2therescue August 3, 2021 12:24 AM BST
Tiger Tiger is bang on - why cant we say wot we think anymore CryCryCry

oh to be back in the 70s/80s when evry1 had an opinion and called the otha one a kernt and then shook hands and had a pint wiv each otha not long afta

to quote the gr8 Freddie Mercury

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wllXY322K7Q
Report know all August 3, 2021 8:45 AM BST
any successful gambler will relate to having to take time out, burn out is quite common and a readjustment is needed every now and then, gamblers burn out is a mental health issue and should be recognized by the nhs lol
Report Blackrock August 3, 2021 10:26 AM BST
These sports stars are not suffering from mental health issues and shouldn't be categorised as such. They may be stressed for whatever reason, but that isn't a proper mental health disorder.

The real roll and butters ive seen in Springfield Hospital are in a different league and need constant care.
Report Wesdag August 3, 2021 11:11 AM BST
Bronze for Biles on the most difficult apparatus. Cool

Ballyregan seething.
Report maleuk01. August 3, 2021 11:27 AM BST
These youngsters are to molly coddlyed.

2/3 days to get over mental health issues and get back out there, no chance. Say it how it is.

She bottled it! That is part of sport and life.

Gazza had mental health issues.So it does exist. But it is a ready made excuse for some.

problem is, people can be they/them/him/her/both, anything they want, just because thats what the indentify as. If I crawl around and bark and say im a dog doesnt make me a dog.

Nature is nature,cant argue against it.

Sorry but if a bloke has his bits and pieces chopped off it doesnt make him female.

Most of the presenters that are spawning all over transgender people wouldnt date one or have sexual relationships with one.
Report Wesdag August 3, 2021 11:36 AM BST
Sorry but if a bloke has his bits and pieces chopped off it doesnt make him female.

Most of the presenters that are spawning all over transgender people wouldnt date one or have sexual relationships with one.

Most transwomen (i.e biological males) don't have any surgery or anything removed. Just "feeling" that they are a woman is enough.
In fact, they have a "female" penis - I kid you not.

Hopefully this weightlifter will shed light on the trans movement & the nonsense which they're trying to force everyone to accept.
Report workrider August 3, 2021 11:41 AM BST
Just listening to the British Woman on BBC now, guy asking her to reveal how she felt about the herself , feeding into the negative I'd call it .She said she had to work hard for her medal, really, didn't everyone else.
Report ballyregan August 3, 2021 11:58 AM BST
wesdag is just a wind up merchant a poor one and I am worried sincerely worried with wesdags obsession with transgender women I think he may want to go on a date with one.
Report Wesdag August 3, 2021 12:05 PM BST
Wish it all was just a wind up tbf.

But what I've said above about transwomen is fact.

Stonewall are pushing an agenda which most people are unaware of & is being brought in by stealth.
Report ericster August 3, 2021 12:40 PM BST

Aug 2, 2021 -- 8:34AM, saddo wrote:

Depression is ghastly and can be debilitating, ordinary people normally go on til they break. Then there is no treatment -other than dubious pills with plentiful side effects- until they might get to see a cognitive therapist for 5 sessions after waiting a couple of years and being crushed further. Anyone who has a battalion of people waiting to sort out their mental health problems should be so grateful.

Well said saddo, depression is a very lonely place.

Report SlippyBlue August 3, 2021 12:53 PM BST
I feel sorry for the new generations and the incessant nonsense that gets thrown their way. For example, the missus daughter at school has been lectured about non binary gender. I had to look it up as to the meaning as I hadn't the foggiest and I'm still a bit nonplussed.
Report Slicer August 3, 2021 1:00 PM BST
A major difference between the old & the young. When you're old there's no sex. When your young there's no sexes! I hope this clarifies the matter!
Report stu August 3, 2021 1:11 PM BST
know all03 Aug 21 07:45
any successful gambler will relate to having to take time out, burn out is quite common and a readjustment is needed every now and then, gamblers burn out is a mental health issue and should be recognized by the nhs lol

Hell yeh, been a few years over my life would have loved to have that one recognised - or maybe not by the missus though! Laugh
Report SlippyBlue August 3, 2021 1:34 PM BST
Thank you for that Dr. Slicer, you've been a great help, I think.
Report Slicer August 3, 2021 1:39 PM BST
Glad to be of assistance Mr Blue!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com