Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ballyregan
01 Aug 21 19:26
| Topic/replies: 1,337 | Blogger: ballyregan's blog
any thoughts on this?

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 78
By:
snowynoon
When: 01 Aug 21 20:07
Easy  and quick way to get lots of attention ,publicity ,sympathy ,and even be labelled a hero ,and get a break if you dont fancy fulfilling your contractual obligations .Will get more and more popular with our sporting heroes.
By:
ballyregan
When: 01 Aug 21 20:17
are they encouraging the general public to have time out now?
how will this work for say for a single struggling mother with a lowly paid job that needs to pay her bills to keep a roof over her head and feed her kids....
By:
saddo
When: 01 Aug 21 20:26
She'll go to work til she has a break down, there'll be no applause.
By:
ballyregan
When: 01 Aug 21 20:29
that is what happens saddo the real world have to power through , with these lower paid jobs if you have not been at the job two years they find any excuse to get rid of you m one sign of any weakness and bye
By:
The Management
When: 02 Aug 21 07:41
It's what separates the very best from the also-rans imo - ability to perform (and in some cases thrive) under pressure.
By:
dpm
When: 02 Aug 21 08:44
The Snowflakes and Wokes are taking over.
By:
.Marksman.
When: 02 Aug 21 09:01
I remember when Jamie Spencer "retired" from the saddle.  People suddenly started saying what a wonderful jockey he was, how much he would be missed etc.  (Just the sort of things people say at funerals.)
But he seemed to take these comments seriously.. and came back Sad
By:
Slicer
When: 02 Aug 21 10:02
ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!
Being mentally attuned is part & parcel of being successful in sport! It's like the so called reality tv stars. They want to be famous then can't hack it. If they were starving & homeless I would understand it but they're paid thousands for doing what many do as a hobby. AGAIN ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS! There's nothing like a bit of sympathy & that is what they get from me-nothing like a bit of sympathy!
By:
sixtwosix
When: 02 Aug 21 10:10
Most of these 'burnt out' elite athletes are ludicrously wealthy and comfortable.
What's the worst that can happen , they get beat?

Probably make even more money discussing their issues in the media and print.

Ordinary people in cr@p jobs or no job have reason to be burnt out....and why are they not ?...….because they can't lie on a bed of cash feeling sorry for themselves.

I watch less and less sport these days and miss it less and less.
By:
The Knight
When: 02 Aug 21 10:16
Totally agree with most on this post. Utterly ludicrous these people suffering 'mental strain'.

Christ only knows what the younger generations will do if there is ever another war like world war 2!

It is pathetic and makes them look really stupid in front of most of the older generations - of which I am one.

Actually, though, I suspect a lot of it is just an excuse or not competing when they fear they might not win.

Sadly, the younger generations are so spoiled they now cannot accept defeat as part of actually competing.

Pathetic, all of them.
By:
The Management
When: 02 Aug 21 10:35
It can't help that the people competing today are from a generation that grew up "participating" in such nonsense as "non-competitive" sports day and the like when at school. Introduced so as not to put any "stress", "anxiety"  or expectation on the poor little mites that aren't great at it.

In my day, they just made all the unfit fat lads with no hand-eye coordination play rugby, leaving the rest of us to get on with the real sports Wink
By:
ballyregan
When: 02 Aug 21 11:03
simone biles who decided to pull out the other day to focus on her mental health a few days back has now decided to compete tomorrow
By:
workrider
When: 02 Aug 21 11:07
One of the best threads on here in years...
By:
Slicer
When: 02 Aug 21 11:09
AMAZING BREAKING NEWS. The US lady gymnast has made a miraculous recovery & will be taking part in the beam final. Obviously not treated by the NHS where there is a 10 month wait for an abortion!
By:
Latalomne
When: 02 Aug 21 13:01

Aug 2, 2021 -- 5:35AM, The Management wrote:

It can't help that the people competing today are from a generation that grew up "participating" in such nonsense as "non-competitive" sports day and the like when at school. Introduced so as not to put any "stress", "anxiety"

By:
Latalomne
When: 02 Aug 21 13:02
Exactly THIS!

The youth of today are not programmed to deal with stress/failure because PC society has insisted on shielding them from it.  They simply don't know how to cope with it.
By:
.Marksman.
When: 02 Aug 21 13:23
I'd happily swap having a soul destroying losing run on Betfair (which can go on for months) for being a privileged elite athlete who has had a bad day and not made an olympic final.
But I accept my lot in life and just get on with it, whithout any drama.  So I have no sympathy for Naomi Osaka, Emma, Dina, Simone etc.
(Just noticed, while typing this, that they are all female.  And the three England footballers are black.  Must be some sort of "I am a victim of societies wrongs" syndrome.)
By:
Slicer
When: 02 Aug 21 13:27
Ben Stokes is not female nor is he black! He's just a pillock!
By:
ericster
When: 02 Aug 21 13:30

Aug 2, 2021 -- 6:09AM, Slicer wrote:

AMAZING BREAKING NEWS. The US lady gymnast has made a miraculous recovery & will be taking part in the beam final. Obviously not treated by the NHS where there is a 10 month wait for an abortion!

She had an abortion?Shocked

By:
ericster
When: 02 Aug 21 13:31

Aug 2, 2021 -- 8:02AM, Latalomne wrote:

Exactly THIS!The youth of today are not programmed to deal with stress/failure because PC society has insisted on shielding them from it.

By:
ericster
When: 02 Aug 21 13:31
I think the term is "snowflake".
By:
Slicer
When: 02 Aug 21 13:32
I think a visit to Specsavers might be indicated Mr Ericster!
By:
saddo
When: 02 Aug 21 13:34
Depression is ghastly and can be debilitating, ordinary people normally go on til they break. Then there is no treatment -other than dubious pills with plentiful side effects- until they might get to see a cognitive therapist for 5 sessions after waiting a couple of years and being crushed further.

Anyone who has a battalion of people waiting to sort out their mental health problems should be so grateful.
By:
LoyalHoncho
When: 02 Aug 21 13:35
.Marksman.   02 Aug 21 09:01
Laugh  Laugh  Laugh
By:
duffy
When: 02 Aug 21 13:35
Stokes missing out on the upcoming test matches!!!

I wonder if he will miraculously be better in time to snare a lucrative IPL contract next year.

Mental health is obviously a tricky thing as Simone Biles was apparently suffering last week but is OK to compete now.
By:
Dr Crippen
When: 02 Aug 21 13:45
It's not depression they're suffering.

People who are subject to depression don't get to the top of their sports.
By:
onlooker
When: 02 Aug 21 13:55
Usual 'celebrity' COPYCAT Syndrome.

They  can ONLY do COLLECTIVE things - That they Mistakenly think is TRENDY - makes them look 'with it' - and impresses the general public.

None of them can - Think for themselves.

The worst example - was when 'celebrities' like Paris Hilton all got themselves a DOG to carry around .... for a few weeks ... because it was the latest 'in' gimmick..... PATHETIC

Who looked after the 'accessory' dogs - when the trend died a death, and the 'celebrities' did not need/want them any more?

............ and - If you are going to get a DOG ... Get a proper WOOFER - and not one of those fiddly little 'handbag' things that they all got.
By:
sixtwosix
When: 02 Aug 21 14:06
No doubt applauded by the media 'luvvies' for recovering in a week....unlike the great unwashed who dawdle with the symptoms for years in some cases..
By:
ballyregan
When: 02 Aug 21 14:40
adam peaty swimmer has decided to have a month off due to a mental health break because his schedule for the next three years is jampacked why didn't he just say he is having a nice holiday before going back to work.
By:
Celtic warrior
When: 02 Aug 21 14:45
How about winning the gold medal is not everything. I am sure coe and ovett would take issue with that

Okay guys, do you want a jump off for gold....sir can we both have gold instead..stupid official...of course if it keeps you both happy!!!
By:
duffy
When: 02 Aug 21 14:51
ballyregan 02 Aug 21 14:40 
adam peaty swimmer has decided to have a month off due to a mental health break because his schedule for the next three years is jampacked why didn't he just say he is having a nice holiday before going back to work.

Someone should tell him that it is quite ok Adam because the man on the street couldn't give a flying fook and only pays attention to what you're up to once every 4 years anywayDevil.

Expect to see him in the jungle or strictly come the winter.
By:
onlooker
When: 02 Aug 21 15:05
Not taken long for the FOOTBALLERS to JOIN IN ...

Tyrone Mings:

England defender says - "Mental health plummeted in build-up to Euro 2020" Cry
By:
ballyregan
When: 02 Aug 21 15:13
Tyrone soon perked up to go mykynos and then ibiza partying like a goodun straight after elimination, maybe the squad should have gone straight for therapy to help them instead of all living it up
By:
barstool
When: 02 Aug 21 15:24
They refer to it as "situation anxiety " these days. The poor dears have experts to help them cope.

We uses to call it schitting yourself and you were on your own.
By:
duncan idaho
When: 02 Aug 21 15:24
cracking thread, lads...if only the younger generation read threads like this they'd soon realise how lucky they are..they've not had to fight wars like us lot, being in the trenches soon puts a few Facebook likes into perspective i can f00kin tell you
By:
jodean
When: 02 Aug 21 16:27
Social media , stop it all .
By:
Slicer
When: 02 Aug 21 16:49
If I was a footballer I'd go crazy too. My mind would be confused & I'd get depressed worrying about how to spend my £150k a week!
By:
Cauthenmeister
When: 02 Aug 21 16:58
Amazed the Keith Miller quote hasn't popped up yet.
By:
Tiger Tiger
When: 02 Aug 21 17:09
I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not.
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com