Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
workrider
31 Jul 21 18:01
| Topic/replies: 31,420 | Blogger: workrider's blog
Heading to Naas on Mon then Roscommon on Tues...Light at the end of the tunnel ....
Pause Switch to Standard View Life Finally Returning To Normal...
Show More
Report jimnast July 31, 2021 7:49 PM BST
That was the situation here Freddie for a while most have eased thing’s although some are cashless like jcr tracks and goodwood,the public don’t like it everything takes to long ,they will end up chasing some away.
Report workrider July 31, 2021 7:49 PM BST
Freddie you get a ticket for Downpatrick next week..
Report freddiewilliams July 31, 2021 7:57 PM BST
No. Terrible course.
Report freddiewilliams July 31, 2021 8:00 PM BST
Every course will have a release date. Leopard sold out I think next 2 meets
Report jimnast July 31, 2021 8:01 PM BST
How many is sold out at the moment?
Report freddiewilliams July 31, 2021 8:02 PM BST
500 a meet. Galway let in 1000
Report freddiewilliams July 31, 2021 8:02 PM BST
Some 300
Report workrider July 31, 2021 8:02 PM BST
Tried to get a ticket for Curragh next week put in all my details and nothing, obviously booked out , why don't they state that on their page instead of wasting people's time.
Report freddiewilliams July 31, 2021 8:03 PM BST
Big courses will go fast.
Report freddiewilliams July 31, 2021 8:04 PM BST
If ure going listiwel jim. Email them find release date. Then be on there site when it's open
Report freddiewilliams July 31, 2021 8:05 PM BST
Ull get 2  per day if ure on ball
Report jimnast July 31, 2021 8:19 PM BST
Thanks Freddie it’s two a day I need so will get on with that.
Report onlooker July 31, 2021 9:39 PM BST
Life Finally Returning To Normal...

workrider 31 Jul 21 18:01 

----------------

- Has life ever been - Normal" .....

- in workrider's world ?

---------------

Sorry - But I simply could not resist that one.

LaughGrinHappy
Report Regbutler July 31, 2021 9:43 PM BST
I've got one for Roscommon on Tuesday, the novice chase, about 630
Henry de bromhead horse, if it runs, 4 year old getting loads of weight, back in distance from a most pleasing run lto
Been waiting for it to come out again
Report slickster August 1, 2021 11:00 AM BST
Wonky thinks life is getting back to normal. Really wonks? To say your statement is clueless stupidity is an understatement. Only in the world of wonky.
Report GLASGOWCALLING August 1, 2021 11:19 AM BST
Feel sorry for the Hare coursing community, first the diseased hare problems, then covid, I used to look forward

to my trips to Clonmel in Febuary. SadCry

Hope the damage isnt Fatal and they can start getting up and running again.
Report workrider August 1, 2021 3:00 PM BST
Onlooker , you are forgiven , Robo delighted you are okay, didn't have you jump on my every thread as soon as I'd put them up .Thought Peter had got you banned . Robo try hold it together now there's a good lad you're doing fine, seems the new meds are working well .
Report slickster August 1, 2021 3:39 PM BST
Says wonky who follows me around like a lost puppy. Speaking of O'Hehir he didn't even notice there was a riderless horse until the furlong pole!!! No surprises there. As clueless as yourself.
Report workrider August 1, 2021 3:46 PM BST
Robo, this is true , I drove out from the golf club this morning and what should I see coming towards me , I kid you not ,but I thought of you straight away . It was a horse drawn Caravan and sitting alongside it were a boy and girl , and I knew it wasn't you as you have no interest in girls..But just for a instant.
Report workrider August 2, 2021 12:01 PM BST
Looking forward to a day at my fav racetrack , R.Post read ,binoculars cleaned, a nice few quid tucked in my inside pocket . Whats not to like about today...
Report onlooker August 2, 2021 2:16 PM BST
^  When you get back home ....

Having done your Wad.
Report Gordon63 August 2, 2021 2:49 PM BST
look forward to your report workrider...

was at Hamilton Saturday evening, they were allowed to massively increase capacity from the previous 1400, someone said 6000 but I'd say it was closer to 4000 on the night. the weather was great, lots of favourites went in, including 2 great rides by Callum Rodriguez who really has figured out how to ride the track and I'd backed (sorry for the aftertiming!!) mr wagyu and commanche falls in e/w doubles at Goodwood as they had both seriously impressed at Hamilton earlier in the season and the sprint tracks are remarkably similar, so happy days all round...was musselburgh last sunday and perth last wednesday for first time post covid, ayr next monday...some form of normality beckons
Report workrider August 2, 2021 7:28 PM BST
Hi Gordon, One bet only had 100 on Josephs in the second at 5/2 , I found the rest of the card very hard and also found it hard to not have a bet in the last in which I fancied Dermot's , luckily for me no bet . Stood with Noel and watched the big race , he was delighted with his, I think it ran 5th . The crowd was much bigger than last time or so it seemed , plenty of regular racing people . Even a little excitement as the horses approached the finish, now there's something I haven't heard in ages . Only 3 bookies though and not a lot of difference in their prices . So overall a huge improvement on the first night . Looking forward to Rosscommon tomorrow night , the first race can throw up a useful novice hurdler . First 3yo hurdle of the year , can the N.H. season really be that near..Great punting btw , reading in today's post that Hamilton seems to be the place to go before heading to Goodwood for the big sprints..
Report onlooker August 2, 2021 7:48 PM BST
"Joseph" - "Dermot" - "Stood with Noel"  Happy

- well connected is our workrider
Report workrider August 2, 2021 7:57 PM BST
Only finding that out now Onlooker...Cool
Report Gordon63 August 2, 2021 7:58 PM BST
onlooker - definitely, he's been known to go racing with myself and foxy, now that's moving in elite circles!!!  incidentally, all interested should have saved up during the lockdowns for the south coast splurge that was discussed about a year ago, was it dawlish as base? 2022 surely
Report onlooker August 2, 2021 7:59 PM BST
Swanage = Gordon  Grin
Report Gordon63 August 2, 2021 8:03 PM BST
aye right swanage - well i'm up for it, planning two trips with the blantyre troops as we can't (sensibly!) get to Ireland this year

Cartmel bank holiday monday

Ascot Friday 1st October + Fontwell Saturday 2nd October - overnighters always entertaining (workrider can testify we did 'lay the blanket on the ground' (that old traditional irish favourite) proud in kilbeggan!
Report themightymac August 2, 2021 8:03 PM BST
Always fancied a trip to Tipperary but it`s a long way.
Report Gordon63 August 2, 2021 8:08 PM BST
worth it though - met up with workrider there few years back on arc day (bedrock won the big hurdle under rachael) and the monday after ahead of galway, cork, thurles (abandoned cause of hard ground!!) - a good Irish trip, hard to beat
Report workrider August 2, 2021 8:14 PM BST
Gordon I have banned Onlooker from the Swanage bus , he asked me if I was Protestant or Catholic and I thought to myself ,can't be having that..Laugh...Honestly I would love to meet the guy, I know we have our differences but I can tell he's a racing man at heart..
Report onlooker August 2, 2021 8:15 PM BST
I was underwhelmed with Tipperary when I went to the town - Not the races, though.

I could well understand exactly why the Irish call it just ...,. "Tipp"
Report workrider August 2, 2021 8:16 PM BST
LaughLaugh Brilliant Onlooker..
Report onlooker August 2, 2021 8:17 PM BST
workrider -

Being a Full Member Agnostic ... I would never waste my time asking you such a question.
Report workrider August 2, 2021 8:19 PM BST
I don't believe that!..Laugh
Report onlooker August 2, 2021 8:20 PM BST
I bloody well DO !
Report onlooker August 2, 2021 8:24 PM BST
workrider

You will meet me - The next time I visit my Irish friend (Yes, I do have one Happy ) who lives near Lucan.
Report workrider August 2, 2021 8:28 PM BST
Looking forward to it..
Report Gordon63 August 2, 2021 8:38 PM BST
had a shepherds pie in a high st bar (I think it was lowrys??) and a breakfast at the mall close to the racecourse but otherwise I only drove through the town a few times, I love how the Irish are so into 'county' and all the flags and ribbons when their team are doing well, many over here wouldn't know which county they live in!! actually there's a bridge on the tipp to limerick road which is the county border and there were EXTRA flags on both sides!!
Report onlooker August 2, 2021 8:51 PM BST
I thought it was far more evocative - When Tipperary  Racecourse was called ...

Limerick JUNCTION.
Report Gordon63 August 2, 2021 8:54 PM BST
yes odd they changed considering limerick junction station only few hundred yards from course which is fair bit north of town centre, then again mallow (one of my top 3 irish courses so far) is miles and miles from cork!!
Report onlooker August 2, 2021 9:16 PM BST
Indeed it is - Gordon ...

Perhaps should arrange a Holiday to coincide with the Flapping Racing near Dingle.
Report themightymac August 2, 2021 9:17 PM BST
Limerick Junction what a great name.

I wrongly thought that Limerick was previously called that. You learn something every day.
Report Gordon63 August 2, 2021 9:21 PM BST
Onlooker - Dingle might be a few years off, Killarney 2022, Listowel 2023 and Sligo/Roscommon and Dundalk/Downpatrick hopefully too
Report onlooker August 2, 2021 9:25 PM BST
I have NO desire whatsoever to go anywhere near 'the North'

Dumppatrick especially ... worst 'racecourse' in western europe.
Report Gordon63 August 2, 2021 9:34 PM BST
some of my crowd have been to down royal and loved it and tbh i do like the look of it on telly so hopefully make it there one day, downpatrick and dundalk relatively close together and in the last pre-covid fixture list there was a weekend where they raced on consecutive days so that would be the trip
Report workrider August 2, 2021 9:45 PM BST
I think we should seriously think about that Swanage trip. maybe someone could arrange a nearby race meeting to fill the day...
Report Gordon63 August 2, 2021 9:49 PM BST
yeah count me in but prefer 2022, still a lot of uncertainty this year....variants, boosters, flu, travel changes on a whim, etc etc, returning to normal yes but not there yet
Report Gordon63 August 2, 2021 9:53 PM BST
wincanton, taunton and salisbury the obvious candidates - my preference would be taunton as only been once before around 30 years ago but any really
Report saxon farm August 2, 2021 9:54 PM BST
Yes I’m still up for the Swanage trip.
I’m off there a week on Saturday for a few days to meet up with the family.
Report workrider August 2, 2021 10:10 PM BST
Okay lads it would have to be someone from that side of the Irish Sea who makes the arrangements , any volunteers ?
Report workrider August 2, 2021 10:14 PM BST
Gordon all of those tracks are under 2 hours so perfect I'd say.
Report jimnast August 3, 2021 7:26 AM BST
i would be an odd person who did not like down royal racecourse i was  pleasantly surprised by the facilities.

onlooker i presume your talking about the racing circuit regarding downpatrick ?
Report workrider August 3, 2021 10:57 AM BST
Jimnast did you make Roscommon the last time you were here ? I can't remember I know it was on your list...As a aside, my wife said to me last night that she could remember when our bin was full of R.Posts as I bought one yesterday and will buy one today before heading to Roscommon and I must say I enjoyed reading it , story on Elsworth was worth it alone but at 4.50. its gone very dear .
Report jimnast August 3, 2021 11:01 AM BST
No workrider it’s one of 5 I haven’t done hopefully the one at the end of September but most probably next year now,I have been on a non race day and noticed the bar named after the only horse to win two consecutive races at the Cheltenham festival.
Report Gordon63 August 3, 2021 11:18 AM BST
ah good old montelado - didn't back him in bumper but did in supreme and then travado in the arkle the next race so a montelado/travado double
Report workrider August 3, 2021 11:23 AM BST
Funny you should speak about him, the first trainers lorry I noticed yesterday in Naas was Pat Flynns...
Report jimnast August 3, 2021 11:36 AM BST
Gordon there was a great ew double that year travado in the arkle and deep sensation in the champion chase.
Report Regbutler August 3, 2021 12:04 PM BST
Referring back to my july31 9.53 post on this thread...
The horse I mentioned in the 640 today is Alice anvil..
7/1  in the post!
Managed to get some 2/1 and 7/4 last night, now 6/5 best
Looks like some others been waiting for this one as well
Report Regbutler August 3, 2021 12:07 PM BST
Sorry, Alice avril... Predictive text!
Report workrider August 3, 2021 12:14 PM BST
Reg, Cromwell's also well fancied in 2 last race...
Report Gordon63 August 3, 2021 12:20 PM BST
Alice owned by Pimlico racing - one of the guys from The Finishing Line podcast and probably a few of their viewers too, they've had minor successes with a few this year so best of luck to them.  I'm not watching them so much during flat season but good 'craic' during the jumps and some decent tipping/insight also.
Report Gordon63 August 3, 2021 12:28 PM BST
jimnast I usually backed against deep sensation as wasn't a fan of declan murphy, indeed one of my favourites of that era brief gale only IMO showed her form when philip hide was on top...

declan was of the same ilk as david goulding, james reveley and jamie spencer in that his preference was to ride from behind and arrive at the death, it looked super cool and stylish but for me, far too often it failed - they weren't unique in that riding style but for me what they have in common was on the very few occasions they rode from the front, their strike rate seemed much higher, indeed reveley has made a career out of front running in France
Report jimnast August 3, 2021 12:40 PM BST
I know what you mean Gordon but I do think Murphy was the right man for deep sensation,funny you mention Philip hide he rode deep sensation a few times ,his last two runs against Viking flagship Norman williamson rode,he was a very good horse ,ironically he chased home travado in a haldon gold cup a race in which Waterloo boy pulled up.
Report jimnast August 3, 2021 12:42 PM BST
He also played his part in one of the greatest races ever run at aintree.
Report Gordon63 August 3, 2021 1:00 PM BST
yes travado beat deep sensation 3 times when out of novice company - remind me of the aintree race, viking flagship? apart from red rum (emotion) and west tip (financial reasons!) my most memorable aintree race, pridwell beating istabraq
Report jimnast August 3, 2021 1:21 PM BST
Yes Gordon it was Viking flagship,deep sensation and marthas son,pridwell and istabraq absolute classic.
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! August 3, 2021 1:30 PM BST
GB Atletics finally get a medal
SILVER

Devil
Report lovegod August 3, 2021 3:18 PM BST
Life is returning, went to Sandown thursday before last and to Epsom last thursday.

Epsom had a dj after the racing so the place was packed with younger people, difficult to get a drink, now remember why we stopped going evening racing.

Off to Brighton on friday.
Report jimnast August 3, 2021 3:35 PM BST
Ladies day at Brighton amazing ,for those who have not been it’s something for your bucket list
Report onlooker August 3, 2021 3:43 PM BST
jimnast - I must admit I completely overlooked Down Royal - when posting about Downpatrick - in my dismay at ALL things Northern Ireland.

You are looking ar Racecourse from a visiting/attending point of view - which you more than obviously enjoy - and fair play to you - you must have had,, and still have, 'some energy'

I, however, merely look at Racecourses from a Punting point of view - and whether the Form stands up to any comprehension, or not.

From that stance - Downpatrick is right down at the BOTTOM of the List ... along with a fair few in the UK, too.
Report jimnast August 3, 2021 4:14 PM BST
Yes onlooker generally speaking downpatrick form doesn’t stand up ,however on my last visit I saw darker star win there later that season he was beaten only 1/2 length by honeysuckle in the Irish champion hurdle then finished 3rd in the champion hurdle.
Report workrider August 3, 2021 11:03 PM BST
Two points from today , met a lad who was a member of that syndicate tonight and he told me he fancied it big time , Just as I went to back it Byrnes was punted from 11/2 into 7/2 only to be pulled out , fav went 8/11 and I said no . Strange the way the betting went right before Byrnes horse was withdrawn , somebody knew and the rule 4 take was much bigger. How often have we seen horses that are either playing up or even got lose shortening and the rule 4 coming into play ,to often imo..The other thing was a quest in today's Post suggested that racing should try and attract people by having more music nights and he was hoping that would encourage them to come back to the course. From what we have seen from Goodwood and elsewhere this week he should be trying to make sure that regular racing punters come back never mind your day trippers...
Report cloone river August 3, 2021 11:25 PM BST
Was they much of a crowd at Roscommon Workrider? nice flat track pity about the facilities for paying customers.Ballinrobe on next monday will try and make it down.Now they is a course that put money back into they facilities well worth a visit.
Report Gordon63 August 4, 2021 8:13 AM BST
the racecourses have too much influence, particularly on fixture list but also on what makes sense for the industry overall.

yes (particularly those that race in summer) can maximise profits by charging 3x high st rates for prosecco/champagne/italian lager but then you get incidents as reported at goodwood/lingfield last weekend and pretty much any chester/haydock(summer) meeting which if you believe lee mottershead (and I don't!) is the biggest turn off for 'racing' fans...it might take a few years but then they'll find they've alienated the real racing fans (annual members, those who go to actually watch and bet on the racing) to the extent that they'll go all in on their flawed model and end up like majority of greyhound tracks with their '6 for 6' or 'friday night special' offers i.e. CLOSED!!

however I've seen myself in ~10 outings since april lockdown lifted that there is a large pent up demand (heightened by staycation) for spending and with hardly any income over past 18 months I can see why racecourses (and indeed almost all leisure facilities) are maximising profits, increasing costs (often under the stealth of covid precautions - my a**e!!) but unless they rein back by 2022 there is real danger that the golden goose will have laid her last egg

other than that, glad you enjoyed your day our workrider and sure (yet another!) lesson learned about punting odds on....my next trip ayr on monday
Report workrider August 4, 2021 8:49 AM BST
Summed up beautifully Gordon.and if tracks don't wake up that's exactly how it'll end up. Cloone River a goodish crowd there last night, mostly racegoers thank God. As you state facilities are poor, though they have made a effort and deserve better . Ballinrobe and Galway the only two tracks my Father in Law ever went to , so yes I have been many times and like the place though I seldom back a winner there even when I have good information.Its a hard place to get to and from so I'm lucky enough to have in laws near by and will stay overnight if going. I shall be there next Mon . Its simply magic been back on track even if there is only 3 bookies on most tracks. The atmosphere is slowly coming back that syndicate who had Alice last night could be heard in the town fair play to them, more of the same I say...
Report GEORGE.B August 5, 2021 7:59 AM BST
The thread title reads "Life Finally Returning to Normal"

Well it's a more grim picture painted in the Racing Post today, on the front page the headline reads:

"Anger as restrictions on racing crowds in Ireland continue"

And a comment piece by Richard Forristal with the headline:

"Irish government's treatment of racing is scandalous - and we need to say so"

Forristal points out that three-quarters of the Irish adult population are fully inoculated. yet crowd capacity is still capped at 500.

In the main report, it seems that Jessica Harrington is advocating a show your medical papers please society, as she *thinks* vaccine certificates are the way forward.
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! August 5, 2021 12:49 PM BST
Another Bronze atletics womans medal

Grin
Report slickster August 5, 2021 12:59 PM BST
Only in the world of wonky is life returning to normal.
Report jimnast August 5, 2021 2:44 PM BST
good afternoon george

read the article myself i thought the bha had ****foot around to much but over there is a farce ,mind you jcr tracks are still non triers at getting people on course,goodwood did an amazing job getting those crowds last week at such short notice as did york the previous saturday.
Report barstool August 5, 2021 3:50 PM BST
The article that drew my attention most in the Post today was that the BHA are cracking down on Corruption in the Bloodstock Industry.

It goes on every day in the Horse Racing Industry everyday and yet they continue to turn a blind eye to it.Cry
Report barstool August 5, 2021 3:51 PM BST
Please excuse the word everyday.
Report workrider August 5, 2021 4:29 PM BST
Jimnast , that's the situation we are in sadly , madness imo..Yet the GAA can have 28,000 at a match sitting alone side one another many without a mask. Our poor Country is run by a bunch of Idiots .
Report workrider August 5, 2021 4:29 PM BST
Alongside..
Report jimnast August 5, 2021 5:21 PM BST
why on earth is something children call a cat banned from this forumCrazy
Report onlooker August 5, 2021 5:54 PM BST
workrider 05 Aug 21 15:29 

'.......... Our poor Country is run by a bunch of Idiots'
---------

Wonderful  faux [as  - workider ...

'Never has a truer word been spoken'  etc   Grin
Report workrider August 5, 2021 6:18 PM BST
Your delight in my admission is touching Onlooker ,though I don't think you meant it to be...Cool
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! August 6, 2021 1:58 PM BST
Silver athelits woman medal

Wink
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! August 6, 2021 2:56 PM BST
Finally a mens athletis medal

YEHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Grin
Report casemoney August 6, 2021 2:57 PM BST
Great haul of medals for the Brits today , thought the guys were going to nick gold in the 4 x 100 Happy
Report acey deucy August 6, 2021 5:27 PM BST
Normal?..Dont make me laugh ffs...There is a new war just starting Mask V Unmasked....And this is gonna get fukin ugly.Scared
Report acey deucy August 6, 2021 5:32 PM BST
Walked into the corner shop Today without a mask, lady at the till who is normaly very chatty didn't say to words to me...Got a couple of dirty looks from other shoppers it's pishing me right off.....What happened to freedom day ffs.
Report acey deucy August 6, 2021 5:35 PM BST
Aye two words even.Grin
Report MJK August 6, 2021 5:38 PM BST
To be fair there's loads of people out there who should have been wearing face coverings years ago
Report 11kv August 6, 2021 5:39 PM BST
Get a balaclava Acey.
Report SlippyBlue August 6, 2021 5:48 PM BST
Same here acey, my local bakery I still have to wear a mask and only 2 people permitted in the shop at the same time. Four quid for a loaf for good measure and it's me that has to wear the mask.   Shocked
Report onlooker August 6, 2021 6:02 PM BST
"£4 for a loaf" .....

- and you are Queueing Up...  Happy

What do you put on your Sandwiches .... Caviar?
Report acey deucy August 6, 2021 6:10 PM BST
I know you are a bit posh slippy but £4 for a loaf ffs.
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! August 6, 2021 6:17 PM BST
Its
International Beer DAY
Have a Guiness

Laugh
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! August 7, 2021 12:21 PM BST
Finally a mens gold atletics medal
PENTATHLON
Grin
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.