Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
carrot1960
29 Jul 21 22:50
| Topic/replies: 15,500 | Blogger: carrot1960's blog
June 15th  timeform write up / comments  ,,Took this in good style on last year's reappearance and went on to win King George at Goodwood (for fourth time) and Nunthorpe at York later in summer. Very good record fresh. Obvious claims.

July 30th   timeform  write up / comments ,,Not at his imperious best (had joint surgery in winter) when resuming with King's Stand Stakes fourth at Ascot. Has won on soft and still one to beat in bid for a fifth straight win in this race.

Would have been nice to know the score before it's very disappointing last run
Show More
Report acey deucy July 30, 2021 12:30 AM BST
Faithful lad Bob gone....Battaash is finish.
Report Celtic warrior July 30, 2021 8:54 AM BST
Battassh is odds against today. Two worthy opponents. He's a good bet for me at these odds though
Report Storm Alert July 30, 2021 9:39 AM BST
Battash "small fracture" was reported back in April when he resumed cantering as far as I can remember. Assuming Ascot was a rush to get him back more chance he will strip fitter today. 15/8 in a place atm seems a reasonable price to take a chance on although I am on Suesa @ 10/1 4 places.
Report LoyalHoncho July 30, 2021 11:30 AM BST
Art Power each way for me, to have an interest.  Several of the others not well in at the weights with Battaash who is under a bit of a will he/won't he be ok cloud for me.  Starman is the best form on offer this season ( for me ) and Art represents his form here.
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk July 30, 2021 11:56 AM BST
Goodwood absolutely made for Bat
The downhill leaves some petrol for him in last furlong
Smashed off the boards on his return so must've been showing well at home
But, they say "they never quite come back after an injury."

edit, holy cow he's nearly 2/1
I'm having a bet Grin
Report tanglefoot July 30, 2021 12:15 PM BST
Tough days racing,let’s hope Battaash can bring home the bacon,even on three legs.
Report Mat22 July 30, 2021 1:18 PM BST
His Record around Goodwood is A1 and if it's anywhere near his best has plenty to spare for me.
Has liberty Beach near him in stall 6 hopefully she will tow him into it.
I have it around 11/8 in my book, 2/1 or over is value for me and have to take a chance he is in Top form.
All Aboard!
Report Storm Alert July 30, 2021 2:20 PM BST
Looks like 2/1 is going to be the biggest price available. Expect the bookies will stiff the SP, so now the time to get on?
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk July 30, 2021 2:46 PM BST
3.20 now
Fred pushers are greening up pushing Bat out, imo
Report KeMoH July 30, 2021 3:04 PM BST
Battaash nowhere near his very best now, expect him to be well beat here. Plenty of improving youngsters that now have the class to land a blow to this once great sprinter. Shriley has to be odds on to be well beaten and retired after todays race 1.01
Report stu July 30, 2021 3:18 PM BST
+ Crowley has just had 2 winners before this race, hard day. Grin
Report stu July 30, 2021 3:20 PM BST
Market v negative for Battash, bad omen.
Report StillLearning July 30, 2021 3:30 PM BST

Jul 29, 2021 -- 6:30PM, acey deucy wrote:

Faithful lad Bob gone....Battaash is finish.

Yeah just seen that, where did he go?

Report StillLearning July 30, 2021 3:32 PM BST
Liberty Beach w&4p for me
Report Angoose July 30, 2021 3:33 PM BST
Stradivarius lost his crown, is it now the turn of Battaash to hand over the baton Confused
Report hulk23 July 30, 2021 3:34 PM BST
Battaash for me. stuck a few quid up at 3.35, mkt saw it & into 3.15.  how far.
Report Cork Langer July 30, 2021 3:34 PM BST
Some rather unnecessary derogatory remarks about the horse, only had the one race this year and finished a fine 4th in one of the best sprint races in the calendar, there really is no pleasing some people, would love to see him streak clear and then enjoy watching the doubters tuck into their humble pie, but even if he is beat there is no shame, at least they have tried and as a gelding have very little to lose by letting him strut his stuff...!
Report hulk23 July 30, 2021 3:39 PM BST
Suesa !! what a performance. well done winners.
Report GoBallistic July 30, 2021 3:39 PM BST
That's a fast filly
Report xmoneyx July 30, 2021 3:39 PM BST
RETIRE
Report stu July 30, 2021 3:40 PM BST
Battash gone at it, sad but age/injury affect all...
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk July 30, 2021 3:40 PM BST
That was a horrible run.
Battaash is like a lamb nowadays before the start and runs like one
Great horse, but retirement now
Report Gordon63 July 30, 2021 3:40 PM BST
very poor ride from oisin murphy - its about time the so-called experts recognised him for what he is, an average jockey in an era of average jockeys
Report Mat22 July 30, 2021 3:43 PM BST
Battash owes me nothing. time catches up with everyone.
Winner was very impressive! reminded me of moonlight cloud turn of foot.
French Fillies ooh la la Cool
Report KeMoH July 30, 2021 3:43 PM BST
just telling it as it is... the writing was on the wall for battaash well before today. those who backed him need their heads inspecting
Report ashleigh July 30, 2021 3:43 PM BST
suesa 2/1 for the nunthorpe, would she even run on fast ground?
Report MJK July 30, 2021 3:43 PM BST

Jul 30, 2021 -- 9:40AM, Gordon63 wrote:

very poor ride from oisin murphy - its about time the so-called experts recognised him for what he is, an average jockey in an era of average jockeys

Thought he was worse earlier on Rhoscolyn Gordon. Hopefully he's better in the next.

Report penzance July 30, 2021 3:43 PM BST
the winner's won that well.
Report EastLower Gooner July 30, 2021 3:44 PM BST
Yep…we all get old.
Report carrot1960 July 30, 2021 3:46 PM BST
Jason ( clueless Weaver)  the horse will bounce back LaughLaughLaugh
Report penzance July 30, 2021 3:51 PM BST
Murphy's horse has been beat by about 3L,
beat the rest by over 1L.Can't see what
more he could do,meself.
Report acey deucy July 30, 2021 3:54 PM BST
Yeah that really was a clueless comment from Weaver who should know better ffs.
Report Whippin Piccadilly July 30, 2021 4:01 PM BST
The passing of time. Jim, has a new shiny star to ride as the other he enjoyed so many great days with, now starts to fade.
Report Gordon63 July 30, 2021 4:03 PM BST
the winner may well have beaten dragon symbol with a clear run, but the winner came the exact line that murphy should have gone, instead of going to his left and closer to stands rail (which is usually better ground anyways and certainly no worse than centre of the track) he repeatedly went to his right, getting trapped behind horse after horse, eventually losing at least 1 length manouevring around battaash
Report penzance July 30, 2021 4:07 PM BST
winner won easy.
Report carrot1960 July 30, 2021 4:08 PM BST
The horse to take out of the race was the third Glass Slippers , especially given the mare's  past form on the going
Report penzance July 30, 2021 4:13 PM BST
he was never trapped behind a wall of horses.
Never had to stop riding once.The winner came from
behind anyway.Best horse by far on the day.
Report carrot1960 July 30, 2021 4:20 PM BST
Another classic from Weaver ,  "not being  able to get a run has helped Fox Tal " LaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report Whippin Piccadilly July 30, 2021 4:20 PM BST
Agree with you Carrot. Will be interesting if the BC sprint is the aim again?
Report Celtic warrior July 30, 2021 5:32 PM BST
Battash  should now be retired. what a great racehorse he has been and a very lucky one of me. my first bet was way back in the scurry at sandown. At least us Sheikh Hamdan (rest his soul) backers have Baaeed to immediately take over his mantle
Report Gibberish July 30, 2021 5:54 PM BST
Battaash has always been a horse that I've never been able to take to despite recognising his brilliance - at his best, there
haven't been many I've seen over the decades that I could say for definite are superior (on a going day) over the minimum trip.

BUT for years on end, he's always been capable of running a stinker...whatever lame excuses have been proffered.
There have always been temperament issues and he's never been one to have complicit trust in regardless (in my view) of what
connections have had to say.

Like any proper racing enthusiast I appreciate champions and like to see them strut their stuff but after that disappointment,
with having every opportunity and apparently no excuses, I'm doubting we'll see him achieve anything like the official 127 he's
ran close to on several occasions over the years.

I'd assume he's got two more chances to redeem himself (in the Nunthorpe & Abbaye) and as much as I'd like to see him win one
and hit a top figure again, I doubt it'll happen though that's not exactly a forlorn prospect, so I hope he can prove me wrong.

All that said, he's been a great campaigner though a group one haul of just four has to be considered insufficient & frustrating
for a horse of his innate ability who's had a six season career. Arguably the highlight being his first group one victory in
routing Marsha in the Abbaye on soft ground - that was a very impressive performance to the eye.

Has anyone got official ratings at hand to compare where he stands alongside the greats?
I'm wondering how many sprinters have hit an official 130 (being a length or so superior to Battaash) to gauge where he stands
and I'd assume there weren't that many since the classifications began over 40 years ago.
Report LoyalHoncho July 30, 2021 6:57 PM BST
Storm Alert   30 Jul 21 08:39

Superb stuff!  Happy  On your say I had a look but sadly couldn't convince myself.  Sad
Report onlooker July 30, 2021 8:42 PM BST
I will start you off with  DAYJUR =  131 ... plus - whatever more you think he had in hand

- and ...

Gentilhombre  = 133

Thatching = 132

Habibti  (3yr filly) = 131

Marwell  (3yr filly) = 131

Moorestyle  (3yr) = 131

Black Caviar (mare) = 130

Never So Bold = 130

Sharpo = 130
Sharpo = 128

Solinus  (3yr) = 128

Ajdal (3yr - July Cup) = 127

Last Tycoon = 126

* Official Ratings tended to/did run at a Higher Level all those years ago -

- and were Re-Calibrated Downwards by 3 Lbs some years ago 
Report penzance July 30, 2021 8:52 PM BST
Lake Coniston was a good sprinter TFR 131.
Report onlooker July 30, 2021 9:01 PM BST
Timeform and Racing Post Ratings - tend to - well, actually Do - run at a level 5 or 6  lbs Higher than Official Ratings.
Report penzance July 30, 2021 9:03 PM BST
Ajdal got a 130 rating TF.
Report carrot1960 July 30, 2021 9:06 PM BST
onnections of Battaash are set for discussions on the future of the brilliant sprinter, with retirement appearing a distinct possibility.

The seven-year-old could finish only seventh in his bid for a fifth successive King George Qatar Stakes at Goodwood on Friday, and Angus Gold, racing manager for Shadwell Estate, will now consult with Sheikha Hissa on Battaash’s future.

The Charlie Hills-trained gelding made a belated return to action this term when fourth at Royal Ascot, after suffering an injury during the winter, and connections could now call time on his career.

Gold said: “Jim (Crowley, jockey) said he really didn’t like the ground but that was not the reason he was beaten.

“The horse has done remarkably well to get back to the races and it took him a long time to come right after the fracture.

“Jim said ‘I had a ride for a few yards’ and there comes a time for all of us.

“I shall speak to the owner tonight, as the last thing we want to do is abuse him.

“After all the problems we’ve had, why would we go on now?

“She (Sheikha Hissa) spoke to me at Ascot and said she didn’t want to abuse this horse, so I suspect there will be an announcement forthcoming.”

A real flag-bearer for Hills, Battaash has also won the Nunthorpe, Prix de l’Abbaye and King’s Stand in a career which began with victory in a five-furlong novice event at Bath in May 2016.

His Lambourn trainer said: “He had a good trip, really. There was a lot of pace on this side of the track, but he came into the race travelling nice and strong. He probably didn’t really handle the ground as well as he could have done.

“We were happy (coming into the race). He was doing everything we have done in the past few years, so there was no difference, really. I was just a little bit concerned about the going here today.

“We will see how he comes out of the race, speak to the management and Sheikha Hissa, and decide where to go forward.”

Crowley said: “The ground was probably slow enough for him. He owes us nothing and is not getting any younger.

“He travelled well early and showed plenty of enthusiasm. Even cantering down, I thought the going was slow enough.

“We’ll have a regroup and see what everybody wants to do. They don’t get quicker as they get older.”
Report Gibberish July 30, 2021 9:14 PM BST
Thanks Onlooker - as I suspected there really aren't that many in 44 years.
Strangely, there's only the highest rated of them lot (Gentilhombre) that was before my time.

Penzance - I thought you were too smart to put any stock at all in Timeform Crazy
They have zero credibility nowadays...definitely not in this century as they're beyond a joke in my view.
Report penzance July 30, 2021 9:15 PM BST
I don't nowadays but thought they were'nt
bad years ago.
Report penzance July 30, 2021 9:18 PM BST
they were probably a good tool years ago because
you could'nt see as much racing then as now on
a daily basis.
Report Storm Alert July 31, 2021 8:19 AM BST
Blue Point was pretty good. He beat Battash a couple of times and won three G1 sprints at Royal Ascot.
Report carrot1960 July 31, 2021 3:11 PM BST
Another classic from Weaver , she the winner  didn't do anything once she got there LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report blackbarn July 31, 2021 4:23 PM BST
Retired.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com